PDA

View Full Version : WKU EXTENDS CONTRACT - DAVID ELSON

therealbigredrules
January 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2006/01/18/sports/sports1.txt (http://)

WESTERN KENTUCKY EXTENDS CONTRACT OF HEAD FOOTBALL COACH DAVID ELSON

Bowling Green, Ky. — Western Kentucky University Director of Athletics Dr. Wood Selig announced Wednesday that the school has agreed to extend the contract of head football coach David Elson through the 2012 season.
The eight-year extension, which is retroactive to July 1 of last year, was approved by the school’s Board of Regents. It provides Elson with a base salary of $130,000 — an approximate raise of $25,000 — as well as bonuses for advancing to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs (one month’s salary), the semifinals of the NCAA playoffs (two months) and winning the NCAA I-AA national championship (three months).
There is a $500,000 buy-out clause for both parties should Elson be terminated or accept another head coaching position.
“David Elson has been part of the WKU family for 10 seasons, the last three as our highly successful head coach. During this time period, we have had the chance to thoroughly evaluate him — his work ethic, his commitment to excellence, his integrity, his attention to detail, his enthusiasm, his charisma and his leadership,” Selig said. “The WKU football program could not be under better care and guidance than what we are currently receiving from head coach David Elson. We want to maintain the all-important program continuity at WKU, thus the long term commitment both parties have extended one another. I look forward to working with coach Elson and his staff for many years to come.”
“I am very appreciative for the confidence and support that President Ransdell and Dr. Selig have shown in me and our staff. This contract extension is a credit to our players and staff, and the job they have done over the past three years,” said Elson. “I would like to thank all of them for their hard work and sacrifice. Kathy, Lauren, Jessica and myself are looking forward to continuing to be a part of the WKU family for a very long time.”
Elson has led the Hilltoppers to a winning season in each of his first three years on the Hill, posting a 24-12 (66.7%) record overall including a 15-6 (71.4%) mark in the Gateway Football Conference. The Toppers have qualified twice for the postseason during his tenure, advancing to the quarterfinals of the NCAA I-AA playoffs in 2003, as his first two teams finished in the top 15 in the final national rankings.
A finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award, given to the top coach in NCAA I-AA football, in 2004, Elson’s teams have consistently ranked among the national statistical leaders at the end of the year. Last season, WKU finished in the top 30 in the country in six different categories, ranking as high as fourth in the country in punt returns. His 2004 squad was among the top 30 in seven categories, while following his first year on the Hill the Topper defense ranked in the top 35 in all five statistics.
Under Elson’s direction, nine different players have earned All-America honors including Buster Ashley, the first two-time consensus All-American in school history. WKU has had 39 players earn all-Gateway Football Conference honors, with 13 individuals named to the league’s All-Newcomer Team.
Off the field, five players have been selected to the Gateway’s All-Academic Team, with Marion Rumph voted to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District squad in 2005. The Hilltoppers have posted the best graduation rate among the league’s eight members, and also scored well above the national average in the first-ever NCAA Academic Progress Report.
At 34 years of age, Elson remains the youngest head coach in Division I football.
“David Elson is good for WKU. He brings the intellect, values, character and work ethic which we seek in all of our faculty and staff,” said WKU President Dr. Gary Ransdell. “Our football program is in good hands with coach Elson.”
Elson has been a member of the staff on the Hill since 1996, when he arrived after earning his master’s degree from Southern Illinois. He was the Toppers’ secondary coach for five years before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2001, the position he was in when WKU claimed the NCAA Division I-AA national championship in ’02. In seven seasons as an assistant, the Hilltoppers posted a 61-24 (71.8%) record while qualifying for the playoffs four times.
WKU has never experience a losing season with Elson on the staff. Elson — a 1994 graduate of Butler — and his wife Kathy have two daughters, Lauren (9) and Jessica (4).