PDA

View Full Version : UD gets a QB

ChickenMan
January 18th, 2006, 05:43 AM
and he's not a transfer... ;)

Camden (NJ) Catholic QB Sean Scanlon stands a shade over 6' and weighs 195 lbs. Had he been a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier, Camden Catholic coach, Rick Brown said, "everybody in the country, would want him". "Luckily for UD he isn't".

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/SPORTS07/601180353/1002/SPORTS

bluehenbillk
January 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM
There you go MJ, just like we said 2 weeks ago when you challenged us for a name....

jmuroller
January 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I'm glad you guys settled on the leftovers....

SunCoastBlueHen
January 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Nah. The guys (Mcpherson and Dudzik) that didn't quite make the grade had to settle for JMU. :)

In all seriousness, I think Scanlon has the most potential of the three. We'll see come 2008 or so...

jmuroller
January 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
In all seriousness, I think Scanlon has the most potential of the three. We'll see come 2008 or so...

Of course you say that now. :rolleyes:

It's not like he will ever see the field. Next year there will be a transfer to take over.

th0m
January 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Congrats on the recruit. Looks like a good fit.

nlwwln
January 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
he will be nice

mainejeff
January 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM
There you go MJ, just like we said 2 weeks ago when you challenged us for a name....

Yeah, and Maine being a finalist adds insult to injury :mad: ;) .

I may as well admit it.......Delaware owns me! :bawling:

umassfan
January 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Hope he likes being a career backup as Delaware brings in transfer after transfer.

Griz Grunt
January 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM
CM, after seeing him I don't know why anyone would be concerened with his height!

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/UD-QB.jpg:smiley_wi

bluehenbillk
January 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
:) A UMass guy making fun of Delaware getting transfers. :)

ChickenMan
January 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Sorry to cloud the issue with 'facts'... but Scanlon and McPherson... both NJ QBs were considered two star prospects by 'Rivals' and both rated at 5.3... a DI mid-major prospect.

Who knows what each will do... boom or bust is possible for either guy... but the fact is both are very similar prospects at this point in time.

ChickenMan
January 19th, 2006, 10:07 AM
CM, after seeing him I don't know why anyone would be concerened with his height!

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/UD-QB.jpg:smiley_wi

that's one 'long' armed QB... :eek:

blukeys
January 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
that's one 'long' armed QB... :eek:

Agreed, He could help on the men's bball team. Check that why waste an athlete in that program????????? :o :o :o

jmuroller
January 19th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry to cloud the issue with 'facts'... but Scanlon and McPherson... both NJ QBs were considered two star prospects by 'Rivals' and both rated at 5.3... a DI mid-major prospect.

Who knows what each will do... boom or bust is possible for either guy... but the fact is both are very similar prospects at this point in time.

So answer me this...what guy did UD want as their first option?

blukeys
January 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM
So answer me this...what guy did UD want as their first option?

Hard to say. McPherson was definitely one of their choices and was recruited heavily early in the year. UD appeared to be not as interested after McPherson's suspension in mid season. One can only speculate why. Was it the suspension or their appraisal of Scanlon???

Scanlon was coached by former UD assistant coach Rick Brown. I am sure there were regular phone calls between Brown and UD coaching staff about Scanlon and his potential. Physical skills and stats appear to be equal between these 2 guys and UD would appear to have an advantage with Scanlon since Brown was his coach and his proximity to UD.

If UD thought they had an inside track on either kid they probably would have put recruiting resources into other positions. Based on the verbals this appears to be what UD has done.

JMU should put more resources in QB since their Starting QB graduates this year and they are solid on both the DEF and OFF front 7's.

Only time will tell but I believe both teams got quality QB's. JMU's immediate needs for QB were satisfied with a competitive tandem. UD got their QB of the future while recruiting heavily on the OL and DL.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hard to say. McPherson was definitely one of their choices and was recruited heavily early in the year. UD appeared to be not as interested after McPherson's suspension in mid season. One can only speculate why. Was it the suspension or their appraisal of Scanlon???

Scanlon was coached by former UD assistant coach Rick Brown. I am sure there were regular phone calls between Brown and UD coaching staff about Scanlon and his potential. Physical skills and stats appear to be equal between these 2 guys and UD would appear to have an advantage with Scanlon since Brown was his coach and his proximity to UD.

If UD thought they had an inside track on either kid they probably would have put recruiting resources into other positions. Based on the verbals this appears to be what UD has done.

JMU should put more resources in QB since their Starting QB graduates this year and they are solid on both the DEF and OFF front 7's.

Only time will tell but I believe both teams got quality QB's. JMU's immediate needs for QB were satisfied with a competitive tandem. UD got their QB of the future while recruting heavily on the OL and DL.

Excellent synopsis, Blukeys.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Based on all the hearsay that sounds right. It was thought that McPherson was certainly UD's top choice in the summer before the football season, as UD offered him a scholarship early (as far as anyone knows, UD was not actively recruiting Dudzik and they never offered him a scholarship), but then, as stated above, interest in him waned. No one is disappointed getting this Scanlon kid, and having a former Blue Hen coach there to look him over is certainly a good stamp of approval. What's interesting is there was talk on the JMU boards that McPherson may end up being converted to a wideout as Dudzik might be their QB. Time will tell who got the upper hand here. Maybe both schools did?

jmuroller
January 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I'm giving you guys a hard time. All of them sound like good QB's. But in all honesty, I'll take an Andy Hall/Justin Rascati 1A transfer every year. I don't care what reputation we develop. Hopefully one of our young QB's can step in 2 years from now, but if not I'm sure their is a transfer out there just waiting to strap on the Purple & Gold.

blukeys
January 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'm giving you guys a hard time. All of them sound like good QB's. But in all honesty, I'll take an Andy Hall/Justin Rascati 1A transfer every year. I don't care what reputation we develop. Hopefully one of our young QB's can step in 2 years from now, but if not I'm sure their is a transfer out there just waiting to strap on the Purple & Gold.

Agreed. I would also take a Craig Ochs. I think these guys are probably going to make a mark.

PapaBear
January 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Anyone know what his reaction to Orono and the guys up there?

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Anyone know what his reaction to Orono and the guys up there?

There hasn't been anything said down here - I always find it amazing that Maine is able to recruit anyone not from Maine (or Canada for that matter) when they bring them in for January visits - Orono in the winter is brutal. You have to give Cosgrove some props that he's able to bring in the talent he has with that handicap in mind - of course, what he accomplishes with them once they're there is a different story, but it's a start I guess.

mainejeff
January 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Gimme a break. Orono is the same as any other campus in the Northeast (New England and New York) in January. It's cold and it's white.......although they've had some warm days over the last few weeks. I'm not even sure that there is snow on the ground right now.....imagine that!

bluehenbillk
January 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
It's Jan. 20th & we're still waiting for the 1st significant snowfall in the Philadelphia/Newark/Baltimore metropolitan area.

mainejeff
January 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Here, take a live look for yourself. Click on Mahaney Dome......

http://www.umaine.edu/ofm/

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Gimme a break. Orono is the same as any other campus in the Northeast (New England and New York) in January. It's cold and it's white.......although they've had some warm days over the last few weeks. I'm not even sure that there is snow on the ground right now.....imagine that!

Hey, who said New England isn't bleak too during the winter? Makes you think again why football in the Northeast isn't anywhere near the passion that it is elsewhere in the country. I remember going to a UD/UConn game in early November and remarking how gray and bleak things looked even then. During the UD/Maine game this year, at the end of Ocober/early November, the announcers were talking about the first snow of the year that happened the night before. Face it, if you have to trick-or-treat in the snow, then it's pretty darn a cold place to be.

PapaBear
January 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM
The upside of Orono's weather is summer camp takes place in 80 degree temperatures and 20% humidity.

In the end I think recruits pick a school based on the culture and atmosphere of the campus, the staff and the players. UMaine is tough to beat on both fronts. It's a truly welcoming place.

That's mostly what I was curious about -- whether your QB recruit sensed that more in Newark.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The upside of Orono's weather is summer camp takes place in 80 degree temperatures and 20% humidity.

In the end I think recruits pick a school based on the culture and atmosphere of the campus, the staff and the players. UMaine is tough to beat on both fronts. It's a truly welcoming place.

That's mostly what I was curious about -- whether your QB recruit sensed that more in Newark.

What he did talk about was the connection he had with the coaches and with the players - he talked about them being a real tight-knit group and how he liked that. No mention of facilities, no mention of fanbase, no mention of the campus, etc, just the quality of the guys he met. To some extent, it helped that a former assistant coach for the Hens was this guys high school coach for his senior year - probably opened his eyes to UD being a place he could go to.

mainejeff
January 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
What he did talk about was the connection he had with the coaches and with the players - he talked about them being a real tight-knit group and how he liked that. No mention of facilities, no mention of fanbase, no mention of the campus, etc, just the quality of the guys he met. To some extent, it helped that a former assistant coach for the Hens was this guys high school coach for his senior year - probably opened his eyes to UD being a place he could go to.

Ahhh......that's tough to beat. ;)

Jaxhen
January 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Here's an excellent article on Sean Scanlon. He has been through a lot of adversity already in his young life and has handled himself well. Sounds like a great kid. I'll take quality kids like him any day. I'm proud he's a Hen.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050828/VARSITY/508280328/1002/ARCHIVES