PDA

View Full Version : Camp Week 1--what are you hearing?

ngineer
August 18th, 2010, 10:17 PM
It's been a week since camps began. What are you hearing out there?

First report out of Lehigh is the typical "good energy" with the D taking the lead in the first few days, but the O showing some good signs of late. Despite the usual bland and expected cliches, the thing that struck me was that there were no injuries mentioned. To me that is the best news. We've lost a few projected starters for the entire season the past couple years, so 'knock on wood'...

DFW HOYA
August 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Georgetown doesn't report on practices. But the roster shows four kickers, down from six last week.

crusader11
August 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Georgetown doesn't report on practices. But the roster shows four kickers, down from six last week.

Crickets at the MSF? Sorry, this comment belongs in the "Smack" section, but I just had to.

SideLine Shooter
August 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM
A lot of SPEED and the D is really looking good.

EmeryZach
August 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM
That Kyle Havens is our starting QB and that our transfers from Northeastern are looking good, especially RB John Griffin. He will most likely be our go to RB.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM

By contrast, Lafayette has daily updates from camp (http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/10-preseason-central.html), including videos, a full practice schedule, interviews with coaches and players, and lots of photos.

Do the Hoyas have some deep, dark secret in store for us for the League opener?

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
By contrast, Lafayette has daily updates from camp (http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/10-preseason-central.html), including videos, a full practice schedule, interviews with coaches and players, and lots of photos.
Do the Hoyas have some deep, dark secret in store for us for the League opener?

No, just the same old culprit: budget. The GU sports information office doesn't have the resources to fully utilize the web. Football was moved to the assistant SID this season and he has eight other teams to cover as well.

By contrast, the Lafayette SID covers only football and men's basketball, which, for now, means plenty of time for football.

http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/labella_philip00.html

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
No, just the same old culprit: budget. The GU sports information office doesn't have the resources to fully utilize the web. Football was moved to the assistant SID this season and he has eight other teams to cover as well.

I notice there is no mention whatsoever of football on the Georgetown athletic page at present. Not a single word. I'm starting to get a feeling about how this is all going to work out. Sort of like the sudden dissappearance of Kim Jong-il's second son from mention in the People's Daily.

kdinva
August 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I heard in Lexington that Senior leadership is tremendous, defense (with 10 returning starters) is flying around, and the QB's and WR's are doing very good with the new offense.xnodx

......and we'll know for sure about 4:30 come Sept. 4th.

PantherRob82
August 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
We heard a rumor that our juco QB won the job over the kid who had been in the program for a couple years. It hasn't been substantiated, but is believable.

RichH2
August 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
If accurate, it would be the first time in 5-6 yrs that we haven't incurred at least 3 or 4 season ending injuries by now. I will light a candle and hope the kids besides improving can survive camp reelatively healthy.

For those w/o a media guide PL version now on line. Better than nothing!!

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
If accurate, it would be the first time in 5-6 yrs that we haven't incurred at least 3 or 4 season ending injuries by now. I will light a candle and hope the kids besides improving can survive camp reelatively healthy.

I was thinking the same thing on the Lafayette side. Of course, two-a-days start in earnest tomorrow morning. That's when it becomes an issue. It's been afternoons only until now.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I notice there is no mention whatsoever of football on the Georgetown athletic page at present. Not a single word. I'm starting to get a feeling about how this is all going to work out.

Not so--this was on the front page.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081910aaa.html

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM

One of my kids knows (that is, played against) freshman Aaron Aiken. He's a very talented multisport athlete who apparently had FBS teams looking at him. Kid has his priorities straight and appreciates what Georgetown means. Excellent pickup for the Hoyas.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Practice clips and player interviews from all of the #9 SDSU Jackrabbits practices are on youtube, if anyone is interested... Pretty good stuff by Nick Hartley with the Brookings Register.

As far as the first week of camp is concerned, it sounds as if players are making plays and stepping up to fill voids left at key positions - OL, WR, and LB. A couple that stand out thus far are Senior WR Matt Hylland and young Redshirt Freshman OL Brian Witzmann (6'7, 300).

The only bad news thus far is that our All-American SS Conrad Kjerstad hasn't practiced due to an injury. We should have a more clear timetable for his return within the next week or so, but he'd be tough to replace against Delaware.

Bring on the Blue Hens! It can't get here soon enough - and we have to wait an extra week...

Fordham
August 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Brilliant move to take advantage of a high iq qb with the autonomy the new system gives them. Might take awhile to get the system down, though ... maybe better to face the Hoyas early than late?

ngineer
August 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I notice there is no mention whatsoever of football on the Georgetown athletic page at present. Not a single word. I'm starting to get a feeling about how this is all going to work out. Sort of like the sudden dissappearance of Kim Jong-il's second son from mention in the People's Daily.

Funny, I was thinking about the old Soviet Union days when someone became a "non person"...

SFA 93
August 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Aug. 14, 2010

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack football team wrapped the first full week of fall camp Saturday evening a scrimmage at Homer Bryce Stadium. The coaching staff took a long look at the second and third team players during the scrimmage.

"We got out of this scrimmage exactly what we wanted," said head coach J.C. Harper. "A lot players saw some action, and we were able to give some other quarterbacks some looks tonight. I've been really pleased with our freshmen. I thought they executed pretty good for their first scrimmage."

The scrimmage began with special teams work and then moved to red zone offense. Senior Jeremy Moses finished the night going 4-for-9 for 117 yards and one touchdown, but was picked off twice. After a few attempts inside the red zone Moses' night was done.

The 'Jacks' first-team defense recorded two stops inside the red zone to start the scrimmage, including an interception by sophomore corner Josh Aubrey. It was one of two interceptions on the night (Ben Wells). The defense also finished the night with three sacks and a fumble recovery by Newton's Malcolm Mattox, which was returned for a touchdown. Sophomore Ryan Epperson led SFA with six tackles, including one for a sack and pass deflection. Dallas Skyline product Ryan Hamlett added four tackles.

Whitehouse native Brady Attaway finished the night 8-for-17 for 117 yards. Texas Tech transfer Garrett Riley completed 9-of-15 passes for 67 yards and recorded the only other touchdown pass of the night. Riley's scoring strike came during his his opening drive when completed a three yard pass to classmate Ayron Morgan. The teams other TD reception was hauled in by sophomore Romonté Hampton from 18 yards out. Hampton finished the night with two catches for 27 yards, but was held for no yards on three carries.

As a group SFA 43 rushing yards on 16 carries. Rice transfer Broderick Jackson led the 'Jacks' ground game with three carries for 25 yards. Sophomore Ryan Gambel led all receivers with five catches for 69 yards. Redshirt freshman Kris Lott added three catches for 25 yards.

The Lumberjacks will take Sunday off before returning to the practice field Saturday morning. After a week of 6:30 p.m. workouts SFA will take to the field at 7 a.m. all this week. The 'Jacks will close out the week with their second scrimmage Saturday, Aug. 21st.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Offense still looks good. Chris Forcier reeled off a 92 yard touchdown run on an option keeper in a scrimmage. Furman's issue the past few years has not been the offense. I'm pretty confident we will score points on anybody.

The defense has to improve. There have been positive reports coming out of practice. Defense is still young, but they can only improve over last year's miserable campagin. If the defense is only moderately better than 2009 you can put Furman in the playoff conversation, I think.

biggie
August 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Offense still looks good. Chris Forcier reeled off a 92 yard touchdown run on an option keeper in a scrimmage. Furman's issue the past few years has not been the offense. I'm pretty confident we will score points on anybody.

The defense has to improve. There have been positive reports coming out of practice. Defense is still young, but they can only improve over last year's miserable campagin. If the defense is only moderately better than 2009 you can put Furman in the playoff conversation, I think.
Your second statement almost answered my question on the first statement. As in, how did the D not run down the QB, last I saw he wasn't THAT fast.

Smitty
August 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I think that our defense will be pretty good this year...

However our offense seems to be getting better will still continue to struggle.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Your second statement almost answered my question on the first statement. As in, how did the D not run down the QB, last I saw he wasn't THAT fast.

I think he is that fast. The defense has plenty of athletes. Ingle Martin had a few 50-60 yard touchdown runs in his day. Furman ran the same play against ASU a few years ago in Greenville for a 55 yard touchdown run by Mike Brown.

Forcier is not Dieon Sanders, but he can move. I don't think you need to expect 92 yard runs. The tough part will be stopping him on little four and five yard runs. Like Martin, though, if he turns the corner, you might as well go get your kickoff return team up off the bench.

ngineer
August 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Lehigh held first scrimmage and by most accounts a lot of 'good things' occurred on both sides of the ball. WR Drwal made some very tough catches across the middle and TE "Wojo" make a circus catch in the endzone. At the same time D made some outstanding plays. Frosh RB Sherman is impressing. QB race remains tight, though some comments reported in the Morning Call this a.m. seem to suggest it is primarily between Clark and Lum. However, Colvin's athleticism leads one to believe there could be another role for him if he doesn't start at QB. Cribbs also broke off a nice 60 yard punt return for TD. Other than the 'usual' dings and nagging type injuries, nothing serious. Weather has been excellent-sunny and warm, but not too humid. Team is back on the Whitehead practice fields after the Eagles broke camp on Thursday.

SFA 93
August 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Aug. 21, 2010

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack football team held its second of two scheduled fall scrimmages Saturday at Homer Bryce Stadium. Saturday's contest was eerily similar to last Saturday's scrimmage as the defense held the offense in check. The SFA offense was held to only one touchdown prior to the late-game situations to close the workout.

"I'm very pleased with tonight's scrimmage," said head coach J.C. Harper. "Like I've said throughout camp our primary goal is to stay healthy, and to get better every time we take the field. I think everything went real smooth tonight. We've got two weeks to go before we open the season we just have to keep getting better."

The Lumberjack defense recorded four interceptions, and posted nine sacks on the night. Newcomers Ben Wells and David Cato, sophomore Jordan Aubrey and redshirt freshman Josh Hughey each recorded a pick on the night while 10 different 'Jacks were involved in a sack.

The defense held the offense scoreless for the first seven series. SFA didn't score a touchdown until Texas Tech transfer Garrett Riley found redshirt freshman Kris Lott from 22 yards out for the score.

Riley finished the night 7-of-11 for 75 yards and the score. Senior Jeremy Moses connected on his four attempts, and finished the night 19-for-28 for 141 yards, but was picked off twice. Redshirt freshman Brady Attaway completed 10-of-14 passes for 84 yards, but also threw two picks.

The Lumberjacks will not be on the practice field Sunday. The team will attend church services in the morning, and will spend the afternoon in meetings. The 'Jacks open the season Saturday, Sept. 4, at Texas A&M. The game against the Aggies is slated to begin at 6 p.m. from Kyle Field.

-SFA-

ngineer
August 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Weather turning cooler here in the East. Temps topping out today at 80 with scattered rain over the next two days with temps in upper 70's. So there should be a lot of energy on the field. Coen indicates he wants to name his starting QB after the Wednesday night scrimmage, so there should be a lot of interest in that event.

Houndawg
August 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hearing we lost our starting SS for the season, knee, All-American FB Goode sprains ankle, as does backup QB McIntosh.

NFL scouts like Dieker's arm and size. Deep in the secondary, two on Buchanan watch, and deep at RB, as usual.