PDA

View Full Version : The most important game in Chattanooga's history in 3 weeks

T-Dog
August 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Three weeks to the 2010 season opener on Sept. 4.

Three weeks to No. 3 Appalachian State at Finley.

Three weeks to arguably the most anticipated Mocs football game in decades. Maybe in the 103 years of Mocs varsity football.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_181995.asp

No pressure.

Skjellyfetti
August 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Seems like it's the way it is every time we go on the road.... even Montana.

Saint3333
August 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
UTC is a four time SoCon winner (while they were in the 70's), let's not get carried away.

Twentysix
August 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Seems like it's the way it is every time we go on the road.... even Montana.

You dont think montanas NC games were more important? Interesting.

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM

It's the general App State feeling of "we're more important than everything." We all just ignore it.

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
UTC is a four time SoCon winner (while they were in the 70's), let's not get carried away.

Yeah I am old, but I remember when the team to beat in the SoCon was UTC.

UCMoc
August 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The App St. game is big for us, but the title of this post is misleading. It doesn't say that this is the most important game for UTC. It says possibly the most anticipated. Why shouldn't it be. Last year was a big turning point for the team. Fans are looking forward to this season to see if they will continue in the direction of last year's team. Everyone is excited for the season. ASU is the first game of the season. Everyone believes that there is a real chance to win. Why shouldn't it be highly anticipated?

The anticipation has less to do with who is coming to town than it does with the expectaitions for this year.

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The App St. game is big for us, but the title of this post is misleading. It doesn't say that this is the most important game for UTC. It says possibly the most anticipated. Why shouldn't it be. Last year was a big turning point for the team. Fans are looking forward to this season to see if they will continue in the direction of last year's team. Everyone is excited for the season. ASU is the first game of the season. Everyone believes that there is a real chance to win. Why shouldn't it be highly anticipated?

The anticipation has less to do with who is coming to town than it does with the expectaitions for this year.

Right on the money

theasushow
August 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I agree, however I do think the fact that it is ASU for the first game increases the excitment as UTC should have an immediate idea of how talented they are. Plus, you get 8 months worth of build up for the season opener. (which is why for 3 straight years everybody got sick of the asu-michigan, LSU, ECU buildup because it went on for sooo long.).

Waco Kid
August 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM

What do you think the mindset in Chatty would be IF the Apps were to win big? Not saying it will happen, but that result could be a big set back for not only the team but the fan base.

Like the Moc fans I am excited, and ready for the start of the season.

Saint3333
August 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM

I agree there is anticipation and ASU fans are short-sighted if they believe this is the biggest game for UTC ever. But I would say that if UTC had to hand-pick one game on their schedule to have as the home opener it would be ASU, bigger name, and first game post AE. No brainer.

UCMoc
August 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
What do you think the mindset in Chatty would be IF the Apps were to win big? Not saying it will happen, but that result could be a big set back for not only the team but the fan base.

I have to be honest. My personal (very rational) opinion about this is that we could lose the first game and still be a better team than we were last year. I think a blowout would be a major disappointment because we are expecting a big home crowd as well as a lot of App fans there. A good close game could help our attendance for the rest of the year. A blowout says that this is the same team with different leadership. I don't think anyone believes that is the case.

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Not their biggest game period... but in their stadium. Plenty of newpaper articles out of Montana and posters on message boards labeled it one of the biggest games in Washington Griz history before the game. I doubt many Montana fans wouldn't consider it one of the biggest ever to be played in their stadium.

Twentysix
August 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Attendance Opponent Result Date
1 25,811 Weber State W, 31-10 Oct. 31, 2009
2 25,751 Eastern Washington W, 41-34 Oct. 17, 2009
3 25,726 Portland State W, 49-17 Sept. 19, 2009
4 25,698 Western State W, 38-0 Sept. 5, 2009
5 25,694 Cal Poly W, 35-23 Oct. 10, 2009
6 25,629 Montana State W, 35-3 Nov. 22, 2008
7 25,486 Sacramento State W, 43-7 Oct. 18, 2008
8 25,326 Central Washington W, 38-35 Sept. 27, 2008
9 25,231 Northern Colorado W, 38-10 Sept. 14, 2009
10 25,209 UC Davis W, 29-24 Sept. 20, 2008
11 25,056 Southern Utah W, 46-10 Sept. 13, 2008
12 24,207** Appalachian State W, 24-17 Dec. 12, 2009
13 24,018 Montana State W, 13-7 Nov. 22, 2006
** Playoff

Numbers dont say it all, but it was a big game i agree. The biggest? I just am not sold :P

Kinda interesting how those are all W's

Skjellyfetti
August 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM
The Appalachian game is the only playoff game on your list there. I know a NDSU fan wouldn't be familiar... but, attendance numbers typically drop off in the postseason.

But, you could be right. Their 2009 game against a 3-8 Northern Colorado team was probably bigger because more people showed up. xwhistlex

SoCon48
August 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
lol

james_lawfirm
August 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Attendance Opponent Result Date
1 25,811 Weber State W, 31-10 Oct. 31, 2009
2 25,751 Eastern Washington W, 41-34 Oct. 17, 2009
3 25,726 Portland State W, 49-17 Sept. 19, 2009
4 25,698 Western State W, 38-0 Sept. 5, 2009
5 25,694 Cal Poly W, 35-23 Oct. 10, 2009
6 25,629 Montana State W, 35-3 Nov. 22, 2008
7 25,486 Sacramento State W, 43-7 Oct. 18, 2008
8 25,326 Central Washington W, 38-35 Sept. 27, 2008
9 25,231 Northern Colorado W, 38-10 Sept. 14, 2009
10 25,209 UC Davis W, 29-24 Sept. 20, 2008
11 25,056 Southern Utah W, 46-10 Sept. 13, 2008
12 24,207** Appalachian State W, 24-17 Dec. 12, 2009
13 24,018 Montana State W, 13-7 Nov. 22, 2006
** Playoff

I was there. If any of those other games on your list (which were in Sept., Oct., & Nov.) were bigger than the App game, then I don't know much about college football. And, I've been going to App. games many years, incl. the 3 NCs & almost all playoff games.

Judging from the play on the field, and the fans in the stands, it don't get much better than that Montana/App game. And, don't forget the weather. Now, THAT'S football!!!!!!!!

And, the Montana fans were fabulous, both before and after the game. For instance, one cannot go into a bar in Missoula, dressed in App. State colors, the night before a game, and buy your own beer. It is just simply not possible. Everyone there will beat you to it. I intend to return the favor whenever Montana comes to Boone.

SideLine Shooter
August 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I was there. If any of those other games on your list (which were in Sept., Oct., & Nov.) were bigger than the App game, then I don't know much about college football. And, I've been going to App. games many years, incl. the 3 NCs & almost all playoff games.

Judging from the play on the field, and the fans in the stands, it don't get much better than that Montana/App game. And, don't forget the weather. Now, THAT'S football!!!!!!!!

And, the Montana fans were fabulous, both before and after the game. For instance, one cannot go into a bar in Missoula, dressed in App. State colors, the night before a game, and buy your own beer. It is just simply not possible. Everyone there will beat you to it. I intend to return the favor whenever Montana comes to Boone.

Man, you said it ALL right there. If I couldn't be in Boone, I'd have to be in Missoula.

longtimemocfan
August 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM

I hope the trend changes this year. Since 2005, the games in Boone have been very close while the games in Chattanooga have been rather lopsided since our last win at home in 2004.

UNH Fanboi
August 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM

I had no skin in the game, but I thought it was one of the best FCS games I had ever seen: two storied programs, incredible fan energy, that HUGE hit, snow, AE's last game, etc. What else can you ask for?