PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs. Western Carolina home-home 2012-14??

TheBisonator
August 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I was on Bisonville, and OK, before you say anything, the rumour was from Lakesbison, I know I know... But I was wondering if any of you Catamount fans know if there's any truth to the rumour of us and you doing a home-home for 2012-14, since it might be beneficial for us to schedule games like this due to the extra game allowed in both 2013 and 2014. NDSU is thin on the 2012 schedule still, and we're pretty close on 2013 and 14. I would like to see this home-home take place, but I don't know how credible the rumour is.

Any info??

JBB
August 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Lakes is well connected and knows what's going on. Where there is smoke there is fire. You can bet if its not finalized the schools are at least talking and the deal is very much alive right now.

MplsBison
August 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
We're playing UND in 2012. xnodx

Gil Dobie
August 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Link?

darell1976
August 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thats news to us Sioux fans. xlolx

MplsBison
August 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Of course I don't have a link because it's not even a valid rumor...just like the OP of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is nothing more than a hope and a dream to shut out the possibility of playing UND in 2012 or 2014. A very small percentage of the NDSU alumni desperately hang on to the old 'bad blood' mentality re: all things UND. Bisonator, JBB, Lakes, et al.

It's gotten to the point where all they've got left is to try to perpetuate the 2003 mentality amongst themselves. I admit, at that time even myself, I was not please one bit about what I considered to be an unreasonable decision to discontinue the yearly game.

But it's been 7+ years now. Things have changed, people have changed (all but Mr. anti-UND himself, NDSU AD Gene Taylor are gone from the "Big 4" of Chapman, Taylor, Kupchella and Thomas) and most importantly, all the rational people have moved on! The two main players, the presidents of NDSU and UND, are new blood that have no experience with "the rivalry" and can view the game as a business proposition - in which case there are clearly no losers. Taylor will fight it hard and perhaps he need to go too before the game can truly go back to pre-2003 levels.

JBB
August 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Gee Mnpls, I know you refuse to admit it, but there is nothing in it for NDSU to schedule UND. Get with the times. Try and see things without the old "hate UND" goggles on. When it comes to scheduling UND gets the same opportunity as anyone else. That $100,000 is out there but I think $75,000 is more appropriate for a transitional bus team. Thats why Fasion wont play. He thinks UND is special and deserves more. His tactic of pressuring for a game and then turning down opportunities because he wants more is not going to work. Its become obvious and he will have to deal with his reality.

On average there isnt much room in the FFD. The difference between average attendance and sold out is marginal. The only possible leverage a school has when negotiating with NDSU is the promise they might sell the last 2,000 or 3,000 seats. So they are using their "star" power to go after another $25,000 or so.

If we can fill our dates for $100,000 and make money we are doing well. We also have to think of the objectives NDSU set when they moved to D1. They wanted athletics to be the "front porch" of the University. We wanted to raise our profile nationally, enter new markets and create new opportunities. A game with UND accomplishes none of that. Any game NDSU plays will get wall to wall coverage in the Dakotas. Playing UND just creates a bunch of negative noise on what would otherwise be an all BISON weekend.

So forget the old fashioned hate goggles Mnpls. Its strictly business and UND doesnt seem to like its options but, I think they are starting understand their position.

TheBisonator
August 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I did not intend this thread to end up like this. Please stay on topic.

MplsBison
August 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I did not intend this thread to end up like this. Please stay on topic.

Oh please..this thread isn't even based on a valid rumor, let alone anything of substance. It was bunk from the start.

Twentysix
August 14th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Saw this too. Any info WCU?

darell1976
August 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
xpopcornx

RabidRabbit
August 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
xpopcornx

xoutofrepx

Way to play Darell!

JSUBison
August 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Does WCU have a fansite, what is it?

F'N Hawks
August 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Gee Mnpls, I know you refuse to admit it, but there is nothing in it for NDSU to schedule UND. Get with the times. Try and see things without the old "hate UND" goggles on. When it comes to scheduling UND gets the same opportunity as anyone else. That $100,000 is out there but I think $75,000 is more appropriate for a transitional bus team. Thats why Fasion wont play. He thinks UND is special and deserves more. His tactic of pressuring for a game and then turning down opportunities because he wants more is not going to work. Its become obvious and he will have to deal with his reality.

On average there isnt much room in the FFD. The difference between average attendance and sold out is marginal. The only possible leverage a school has when negotiating with NDSU is the promise they might sell the last 2,000 or 3,000 seats. So they are using their "star" power to go after another $25,000 or so.

If we can fill our dates for $100,000 and make money we are doing well. We also have to think of the objectives NDSU set when they moved to D1. They wanted athletics to be the "front porch" of the University. We wanted to raise our profile nationally, enter new markets and create new opportunities. A game with UND accomplishes none of that. Any game NDSU plays will get wall to wall coverage in the Dakotas. Playing UND just creates a bunch of negative noise on what would otherwise be an all BISON weekend.

So forget the old fashioned hate goggles Mnpls. Its strictly business and UND doesnt seem to like its options but, I think they are starting understand their position.
NDSU sold out 1 game last year.

darell1976
August 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
xoutofrepx

Way to play Darell!

Funny how UND got thrown into this thread.

DotCat
August 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
forums.delphiforums.com/catamountpride

Does WCU have a fansite, what is it?

MplsBison
August 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
NDSU sold out 1 game last year.

Exactly. Other than the SDSU game, there are no guaranteed sell outs at the Fargodome...and even that game won't be a sell-out this year if NDSU is already off to a bad season.

The 2006 de-facto Great West championship game at the Fargodome vs. SDSU, the last time a meaningful game was played at the dome, we set the all-time record attendance for a single game. The records before that? It was each time that NDSU played UND at the Dome.

There is no possible way that a game at the Fargodome would be a losing business proposition for NDSU. It would not be a guarantee game - NDSU will never pay UND a single cent to play a football game in Fargo.

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well as an outside observer from way over in the Eastern Time Zone, I enjoy seeing in-state teams play each other. I know that VMI gets up for playing Liberty every year and Richmond for W&M and so on and so on...at the same time Id be pretty cool with seeing NDSU branch out and play some of the teams from the Eastern half of the country.

All that said, do try to not turn this into another UND-NDSU smack session...because there is a place for that...

Twentysix
August 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Well as an outside observer from way over in the Eastern Time Zone, I enjoy seeing in-state teams play each other. I know that VMI gets up for playing Liberty every year and Richmond for W&M and so on and so on...at the same time Id be pretty cool with seeing NDSU branch out and play some of the teams from the Eastern half of the country.

All that said, do try to not turn this into another UND-NDSU smack session...because there is a place for that...

++++++++++++++++++++++

darell1976
August 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM

And it was a Bison fan that brought UND into this thread.xconfusedx

JBB
August 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I rest on my original point. This would be a good game for NDSU to get. We already have the regional rivalry with SDSU so there is nothing to be gained by continuing to schedule schools in the same media market with any regularity. Its much more profitable for NDSU to take a game like this, get exposure in new markets, build new relationships and get a feel for football back east. Regionally the game will be front page news no matter who we play.

NDSU sold out 1 game last year. Average attendance was just under 17,000 so the only chip a visiting team has with NDSU is the last couple thousand seats. If they can convince NDSU they can sell them they might get a little more or NDSU might look elsewhere. The only way a game can be scheduled is mutual benefit. $100,000 is a good payout and this would be a good game to see in Fargo.

A sell out doesn't mean a thing without some connection to cost. You could sell out at a high cost and lose money. NDSU has to balance the guarantee with the expected revenues. Games that might draw more fans are not necessarily the most profitable if the right price cant be found.

Sometimes its a lot easier to cancel a game than schedule one.

bjtheflamesfan
August 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Look...I dont care who started it...finish it...now...

darell1976
August 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Look...I dont care who started it...finish it...now...

Hey Head Linesman don't get mad at me. I and other Sioux fans have nothing to do with this thread. People don't want to see a UND/NDSU smack fest...yet it was a Bison fan (mplsBISON) that brought UND into this thread. You want it to stop...warn MplsBison not to include UND in something that has nothing to do with us.

JBB
August 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
forums.delphiforums.com/catamountpride

No mention of this rumor there.....

WCU LawCat
August 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
We heard about this and talked about it some time back. It has been several months. Not sure if it is final but it has been talked about.

TheBisonator
August 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
We heard about this and talked about it some time back. It has been several months. Not sure if it is final but it has been talked about.

Thanks, LawCat.

Twentysix
August 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM

TheBisonator
August 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
...yet it was a Bison fan (mplsBISON) that brought UND into this thread.

MplsBison doesn't count. You know that as well as anyone.

darell1976
August 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
MplsBison doesn't count. You know that as well as anyone.

I know but is he more of a Bison fan than Sioux fan...tough call.xlolx

LakesBison
August 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
the WCU vs NDSU rumor was starting on AGS, I was just passing it along, as I heard it from 2 different sources.
im pretty sure it will happen, NDSU is going to continue to schedule a East Coast Team (FCS) and Midwest (FBS) along with a patsy (see USD)

p,s- MPLS BISON is NOT A BISON FAN, PERIOD.

NDB
August 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM
That's pretty smart scheduling.

NDSU needs to do a little marketing on the East Coast as do all 'western' teams.

MplsBison
August 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM
That's pretty smart scheduling.

NDSU needs to do a little marketing on the East Coast as do all 'western' teams.

Disagree.

NDSU needs to become as relavent as possible within our 'core' region (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin - some in Neb, Iowa and northern Ill). We need to market ourselves as the best football program in that region behind the Big Ten schools.

Playing Wagner, Central Connecticut and Lafayette doesn't do that (although I much prefer the game against LC because they're in an AQ conference).

darell1976
August 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Disagree.

NDSU needs to become as relavent as possible within our 'core' region (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin - some in Neb, Iowa and northern Ill). We need to market ourselves as the best football program in that region behind the Big Ten schools.

Playing Wagner, Central Connecticut and Lafayette doesn't do that (although I much prefer the game against LC because they're in an AQ conference).

And I disagree with your disagree. You need nationwide exposure to gain better recruits.

MplsBison
August 16th, 2010, 02:17 PM
And I disagree with your disagree. You need nationwide exposure to gain better recruits.

Our best recruits come from within the region. The majority of our starters always have been and always will be from the upper midwest. And that's the way it should be too.

Then, as long as you're marketed and accepted as one of the best in the region, it really doesn't matter what out-of-region folks think about your program.

I for one don't really care what they think.

RabidRabbit
August 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Disagree.

The NEC, which includes Wagner and CC, are now (starting this year) AQ conference members. So is the Big South (think Liberty/Coastal Carolina)

catamount man
August 17th, 2010, 06:24 AM
FWIW, I was told by a MAJOR WCU booster, alum, former fb player that it was a done deal but he wasn't sure on the years. Again, other than that, I don't know anything. I would love to see it though.

GO CATS!!!