PDA

View Full Version : Grambling's Christian Anthony hospitalized after apparent heart attack

WestCoastAggie
August 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Grambling's Christian Anthony hospitalized after apparent heart attack

By Ethan Conley • [email protected] • August 13, 2010

http://cmsimg.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DI&Date=20100813&Category=UPDATES02&ArtNo=100813008&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0

Grambling defender Christian Anthony, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's preseason defensive player of the year, was hospitalized after suffering an apparent heart attack Thursday afternoon. He is listed in stable condition at Northern Louisiana Medical Center, university officals said.

Anthony suffered chest pains around 4:30 p.m. after practicing with the team from 8:30-11 a.m. GSU Director of Public Relations Vanessa Littleton said there was no indication that the incident was heat-related, and that Anthony showed no signs of distress when the team went to a meeting room to cool down and hydrate around 11:30 a.m.

Littleton could give no further details regarding Anthony's condition.

Grambling athletics director J. Lin Dawson, out of town in North Carolina, could provide no further details, but fellow players confirmed that Anthony had suffered a heart attack.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20100813/UPDATES02/100813008/Grambling+s+Christian+Anthony+hospitalized+after+a pparent+heart+attack

McNeese75
August 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
This is so sad. I really hate to hear this about the young man.

UNIFanSince1983
August 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Horrible news! This is why ALL college athletes should have at least an EKG as part of their physical before the season. It may not prevent or catch all these heart incidents, but it would go a long way in discovering heart conditions in these kids they may not have known they had before. Now I guess I do not know maybe they do it at that level I just know it was not required when I was playing D3 athletics. It would have been nice to know at that time that I had a pre-existing heart condition before having to find out in an emergency room.

Hope this turns out well for this young man and hope he can get back to playing football.

WestCoastAggie
August 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Official Press Release from Grambling (Via Kenn Rashad, Owner of TSPNSports.com)

Grambling State Football Player Hospitalized

GRAMBLING--Christian Anthony, a 22-year-old defensive lineman on the Grambling State University football team, is listed in stable condition after being admitted to the hospital for chest pains.

According to head football coach Rod Broadway, Anthony first complained of chest pains Thursday afternoon.

In addition to being named the 2009 Southwestern Athletic Conference “Defensive Player of the Year,” the 6’4”, 275-pound senior from Birmingham, Ala., was also selected to the first team of the Sports Network FSC squad and to the College Sporting News Fabulous Fifty All-American first unit. He also made the 2009 All-Louisiana first team.

Anthony was third in the conference in sacks (8.0), second in tackles for loss (15.0), and was the only defensive lineman in the country with five interceptions-- two of them going for touchdowns. He also led the SWAC in forced fumbles (five) and fumbles recovered (three).

http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?91408-Grambling-s-Christian-Anthony-hospitalized-after-apparent-heart-attack&p=1710878&mode=linear#post1710878

lionsrking2
August 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Lion Nation is praying for the young man...hopefully he's okay and will be back on his feet soon.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Good news to report... get better Christian!

Grambling State defensive end Christian Anthony has been "released to do some exercising" on his own, six weeks after the 22-year-old senior suffered a heart attack.

"He's doing much better," Grambling head coach Rod Broadway said. "It's just moderate exercising and we're telling him, 'don't overdo it.' We're just trying to get him well. Our main concern is he gets healthy."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100928/SPORTS02/9280318/GSU-s-Anthony-cleared-to-exercise-