PDA

View Full Version : Harvard snatches USC prospect!

ngineer
January 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Article reported at www.I-AA.com covers a stellar athlete and student whose father played for Southern Cal and who had all the earmarkings of becoming a Trojan. Instead, he is opting for the Northeast so he can experience the 'change of seasons' by matriculating to Harvard. Way to Ivy!

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM
What can I say, except :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: !

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Gotta love those equivalencies :nod:

Pard4Life
January 16th, 2006, 11:50 AM
.....another reason why the Ivies should be in the I-AA playoffs...

... i'd be more excited if this kid was going PL though, tough to compete with Harvard in that realm.

Pard4Life
January 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Article reported at www.I-AA.com covers a stellar athlete and student whose father played for Southern Cal and who had all the earmarkings of becoming a Trojan. Instead, he is opting for the Northeast so he can experience the 'change of seasons' by matriculating to Harvard. Way to Ivy!

Wait a minute... this kid is a punter... who cares?!?!

This article is more about the father gloating about having two Ivy League kids... and how he breaks with tradition of USC.

Now the real story on that Ivy page is FieldTurf at Princeton...

I am quite surprised by that move, it was unexpected. Palmer had the nicest field we played on and it always looked immaculate. Even after walking on it, you can tell it is professionaly taken care of.. very disappointed... FieldTurf is good for Lafayette, not Princeton Stadium :( On that note...

"Princeton's first game on the FieldTurf will take place on Sept. 23 when the Tigers welcome 2005 Patriot League champion Lafayette to Princeton Stadium. The Tigers, who won seven games last season for their best record in a decade, defeated Lafayette 23-21 in the 2005 season opener. The game time has not yet been determined."

My bet is a night game as usual, preceded by a tasty Fall Harvest dinner under the tent... mmm

colgate13
January 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Colgate/Princeton game convinced the Tigers that FieldTurf is the way to go. I know Lehigh wishes they had it that weekend...

Pard4Life
January 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Colgate/Princeton game convinced the Tigers that FieldTurf is the way to go. I know Lehigh wishes they had it that weekend...

Is everyone afraid of a litte mud all of sudden?

The Lafayette-Columbia game was one of the most fun games I attended.. if you ignore the fact my shoes retained about a gallon of water.

...and yes I know the real issue is field cost and maintenence, but I feel real sad seeing grass lose favor.

colgate13
January 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Apparently! It seems a growing contingent think (or expect) that football is played in pristine field conditions. That's really funny to me since I root for a team that often thrives in 'challenging' conditions. It's part of the game folks! :cool:

LBPop
January 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM

The Lafayette-Columbia game was one of the most fun games I attended.. if you ignore the fact my shoes retained about a gallon of water.

For what it's worth, on that same weekend I was at Georgetown to watch them play Duquesne. Yes, the field turf eliminated the mud, but I was still soaked (including my shoes), cold and I ruined a wallet. It was only one of four Hoya victories, so nobody (including me) minded. In fact, some unbelievably generous parents cooked a barbeque for the team under a tent.

I must say that while the ball gets wet and heavy, at least the footing is decent. Of course the best part is how the field looks the next day. I prefer the real stuff, but for schools with limited space, this stuff is great.

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Apparently! It seems a growing contingent think (or expect) that football is played in pristine field conditions. That's really funny to me since I root for a team that often thrives in 'challenging' conditions. It's part of the game folks! :cool:

Right you are, 13. Princeton should be ashamed of itself and change its team name from the Tigers to the P*ssies. :nonono2:

Hansel
January 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Right you are, 13. Princeton should be ashamed of itself and change its team name from the Tigers to the P*ssies. :nonono2:
Football should be played Indoors ;)

Ronbo
January 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Finally a thread where letters USC are used for the real USC, the University of Southern California. Not South Carolina. :smiley_wi

Go...gate
January 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sad to see PU give up the natural stuff. Palmer Stadium, and thereafter the new ballpark, always had a nice track even in bad conditions. The Colgate-Princeton game was played on a worsening field in a monsoon, but that is the way the game is sometimes. Princeton defeated Dartmouth at Palmer in 1950, 13-7, to preserve an undefeated season. The game was played in a hurricane and 5,000 people still showed up.

I only played FB in high school, but playing in muddy conditions was kind of fun - the game became that much more basic and kind of like a throwback to the old days.

ngineer
January 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Despite the horrible memories of the 'monsoon game', I still prefer a good grass turf. Doesn't seem like football without some dirt/mud and grass stains.
BTW--is the new Princeton stadium still called 'Palmer'? Since they tore the old one down, I didn't think they carried the old name forward. When Lehigh played there in '04 I thought the field looked pretty good. In my view the best stadium in I-AA that I've attended. Looking forward to the return trip in '07.

Harvard Worship
January 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe Princeton was worried about getting mud and grass stains on their jerseys... oh, wait, they're black... hmm.

colgate13
January 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM
The new Princeton stadium is not called Palmer. I believe it's just Princeton Stadium. It's a great venue, so much so that if weather were not a factor it would be a great location for a I-AA championship spot.

Pard4Life
January 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM
The new Princeton stadium is not called Palmer. I believe it's just Princeton Stadium. It's a great venue, so much so that if weather were not a factor it would be a great location for a I-AA championship spot.

Yup, just plain 'ol Princeton Stadium. And I wholeheartedly agree with the championship comment. It can fit just over 30,000 I believe. Not only are the bleachers, concourse navigation, stairways in pristine condition, the press box is a first-class joint... huge windows that open, long and spacious sports writer tables, comfortable chairs, TVs, kitchens, bathrooms, and the opposing coordinators are situated on the opposite sides of the press well and can glance at each other whenever... I feel like I'm in the NFL down there. LFN probably knows what I am referring to here, and maybe colgate 13.

Pard4Life
January 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Maybe Princeton was worried about getting mud and grass stains on their jerseys... oh, wait, they're black... hmm.

Don't forget those white pants.

colgate13
January 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Princeton stadium seats just over 27,000. It is a gorgeous bowl of a stadium with great views all around.

http://www.princeton.edu/football/images/stadium3.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/prin/school-bio/pri-prinstadium2.jpg

First class I-AA facility. It should be considering how rich PU is.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Yup, just plain 'ol Princeton Stadium. And I wholeheartedly agree with the championship comment. It can fit just over 30,000 I believe. Not only are the bleachers, concourse navigation, stairways in pristine condition, the press box is a first-class joint... huge windows that open, long and spacious sports writer tables, comfortable chairs, TVs, kitchens, bathrooms, and the opposing coordinators are situated on the opposite sides of the press well and can glance at each other whenever... I feel like I'm in the NFL down there. LFN probably knows what I am referring to here, and maybe colgate 13.

I've never been to the press box there, but I have seen games there as a fan and it is a beautiful stadium - really first rate.

Plus, I met my future wife there, so for me it has extra-special meaning :)

ngineer
January 17th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Princeton stadium seats just over 27,000. It is a gorgeous bowl of a stadium with great views all around.

http://www.princeton.edu/football/images/stadium3.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/prin/school-bio/pri-prinstadium2.jpg

First class I-AA facility. It should be considering how rich PU is.

The interesting architectural aspect is that the new stadium is placed within the old outline of Palmer Stadium. If you look at the picutures you'll see the outline of old Palmer around the rim which is an enclosed walkway that goes around the perimeter of the stadium.

Harvard Worship
January 18th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Don't forget those white pants.

Well, changing the turf won't do much to stop the stains on those...

Pard4Life
January 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The interesting architectural aspect is that the new stadium is placed within the old outline of Palmer Stadium. If you look at the picutures you'll see the outline of old Palmer around the rim which is an enclosed walkway that goes around the perimeter of the stadium.

If I am not mistaken (and I very well might be), there is a brick imprint in certain areas around the stadium, primarily in the concourse area, indicating where the old walls used to stand. Much like how the Berlin Wall's imprint is left in the streets around Berlin... unless I am confusing the two and I have no idea how.

Pard4Life
January 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Well, changing the turf won't do much to stop the stains on those...

:nod:

ngineer
January 18th, 2006, 08:37 PM
If I am not mistaken (and I very well might be), there is a brick imprint in certain areas around the stadium, primarily in the concourse area, indicating where the old walls used to stand. Much like how the Berlin Wall's imprint is left in the streets around Berlin... unless I am confusing the two and I have no idea how.

Don't recall seeing it, but could very well be there. Wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated some of the old bricks where the predecessor's walls stood. Cool for nostalgial freaks. I've got an 'official ' brick from Taylor Stadium that has a prominent spot in my office.