PDA

View Full Version : Trashing I-AA

carney2
January 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Did anyone else catch this comment today during the Steelers @ Colts TV broadcast on CBS:

Announcer: "Dan Kreider is from the University of New Hampshire. He was a blocker there for Jerry Azumah who is currently on the Bears roster."

Dan Deardorf: "Yeah, a real football factory."

It's nice to see guys from a I-AA school like UNH playing in the NFL, but I found Deardorf's remark somewhat disparaging of the whole I-AA nation.

Hansel
January 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I find all of Dierdorf's comments to be stupid :)

Ronbo
January 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Did anyone else catch this comment today during the Steelers @ Colts TV broadcast on CBS:

Announcer: "Dan Kreider is from the University of New Hampshire. He was a blocker there for Jerry Azumah who is currently on the Bears roster."

It's nice to see guys from a I-AA school like UNH playing in the NFL, but I found Deardorf's remark somewhat disparaging of the whole I-AA nation.

These guys could use some education. On a whole most I-A's will produce more NFLers than a I-AA program. But there are certain years where I-AA's do pretty good. Montana had more players sign with the NFL (5) than the Pac 10's Washington Huskies in 2005. 4 are still on NFL rosters, Craig Ochs, Willie Walden, Justin Green, and Cory Proctor.

Granite
January 15th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Dierdorf's always been an idiot. While UNH isn't USC or Penn State, we've produced our share of guys who have seen action in the NFL. Check out the link.

UNH Players in the NFL (http://www.unhwildcats.com/pdf/football/nfl.pdf)

nlwwln
January 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Dierdorf's a dumbs$!t :spank:

PapaBear
January 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Yeah, I heard it. And my first reaction was, "I wonder how long it will take for someone on AGS to post an angry response about what an idiot Dierdorf is and how I-AA deserves more respect."

:deadhorse

I would agree with the assessment of Dierdorf as a color guy. He's light years behind most, as far as I'm concerned. Good commentators, when they don't really know what they're talking about, simply keep their mouth shut. He felt the need to blurt out something sarcastic. That's his problem.

OUR problem is that we want the rest of the football world to have the same appreciation for I-AA football that we have. That will only happen when we beat them consistently.

Unless and until we do that, we need to be comfortable with our status as D1-Lite. We need to recognize that our better players and our better teams really are better than MANY I-A players and teams. That fact isn't rendered false just because Dierdorf doesn't know it.

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Dierdorf is a clown, and he was one of the dirtiest NFL players during his career.

Monarch Nation
January 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM
You fellows keep misspelling his name. It's Dierdork. :smiley_wi

wannabegaucho
January 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
These guys could use some education. On a whole most I-A's will produce more NFLers than a I-AA program. But there are certain years where I-AA's do pretty good. Montana had more players sign with the NFL (5) than the Pac 10's Washington Huskies in 2005. 4 are still on NFL rosters, Craig Ochs, Willie Walden, Justin Green, and Cory Proctor.
Washington has fallen a long way from their National Championship. And Willingham never should've left Stanford.

dirtbag
January 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Dierdorf is a clown, and he was one of the dirtiest NFL players during his career.

You have to be thinking of Conrad Dobler.

Ronbo
January 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Washington has fallen a long way from their National Championship. And Willingham never should've left Stanford.

Still a Pac 10 school.

colgate13
January 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
You fellows keep misspelling his name. It's Dierdork. :smiley_wi

Holy Crap - am I the first to notice an ODU poster here?

Welcome - and good luck on football!

Go...gate
January 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Dierdorf was a star at Michigan and an all-pro with the Cardinals, but he has quite an attitude about what he calls "small-college" football. This is not the first time he has "Foot in Mouth" Disease.

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM
You have to be thinking of Conrad Dobler.

Dirtbag, you're absolutely right. I stand corrected about the dirty player part! But you must agree about the clown part.

goasu984Life
January 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
You guys were actually listening to the game? Who the hell actually does that? Most of the guys are so off base (with Phil Simms and Troy Aikman usually being the exception) that I usually don't even pay attention to them.

Monarch Nation
January 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Holy Crap - am I the first to notice an ODU poster here?

Welcome - and good luck on football!

Thank you. Great to be here, and we look forward to erecting goal posts at Foreman Field again.

Ronbo
January 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Still a Pac 10 school.

I'd love to see a list of I-A schools that don't have 4 players from the 2005 draft still on NFL rosters. It might shock you what schools would be on that list.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Wonder if he or one of his buddies lost their job to a guy from a I-AA school? Must really piss them off when they run into a talented, hungry kid who doesn't come from one of those real football factories!

While I've never met Dan Kreider, he did play for my alma mater so I have to admit to a little homerism here. Dan Kreider is really a great story! He was a starter for UNH and from all accounts a good college player. Signed a free agent contract and I believe made the team because he was proficient on special teams. (Betcha a fullback from a football factory lost this third string slot because of desire and ability to play special teams!) Played a couple of years on special teams when injuries bumped him to 2nd string then 1st string. He made the best of that opportunity and now he's had a nice NFL career.

When the Steelers are on TV, I often watch Kreider rather than the ball because I'm a Patriot's fan. It's very interesting how he is often used as a decoy for Bettis and other times the key blocker. And I've been astounded at how many times I've seen him put devastating blocks on defenders knocking them back a couple of yards. I'd love to see how Kreider graded out for games!

kats89
January 16th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Dierdorf is an idiot. He is in the same class with Theisman. Know it all's that don't know how to shut their mouths!

kalm
January 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Dierdorf is an idiot. He is in the same class with Theisman. Know it all's that don't know how to shut their mouths!

I don't think they get paid to shut their mouths, and in Theisman's case he shouldn't. You'd be better do compare Dierdorff to Paul McGuire.

And to further Ronbo's point, the highest draft pick out of the State of Washington last year also wasn't a Husky or a Cougar - it was EWU's Michael Roos in the 2nd round who started for the Titans all year.

Retro
January 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I wonder if he would say the same thing about a Western Illinois Player? I believe they have more than any I-AA school. They have 9 active!

blukeys
January 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM
While I've never met Dan Kreider, he did play for my alma mater so I have to admit to a little homerism here. Dan Kreider is really a great story! He was a starter for UNH and from all accounts a good college player.

The time I saw Kreider he looked like a real good college player. :cool:

dirtbag
January 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM
xpumpukex
Dierdorf is an idiot. He is in the same class with Theisman.

Sorry, but NO ONE is in the same class with Theismann.

ngineer
January 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM

When you think about it, it is, in someways, a compliment. It was obviously said sarcastically. I like to think that I-AA schools are not football factories. :cool: