PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Traditions

SiouxFallsJack
January 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
In my local paper today, a student from our biggest rival in our DII days, wrote a letter complaining of the publishing of a photo showing a dead animal being thrown on the floor during a basketball game with their current rival. With our mascot being a jackrabbit, I've witnessed many years of at best, carrots thrown, or in the worst case dead rabbits tossed on the floor.

He goes on to say that this is happens all the time. I will admit as a student, and occasionally even today, I am guilty of shouting things I am not proud of. I have never thrown anything, though I have been tempted to at officials after a horrible call, in my 25 years of attending South Dakota State sporting events.

Is this common behavior with your biggest rival? I mean during the Montana/Montana St. games is the field littered with dead bears and bobcats?
This is not intended for smack and any replies would be appreciated.

Hansel
January 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM
pic of flying coyote

ASU Kep
January 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
If I only knew where the hell to find a Paladin these days...

CatFan22
January 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM
At the Cat/Griz game in Bozeman, we had a few "dead" bears that were being waved around by nooses. I remember one year, someone rented a huge crane and hung a bear from it, which was really funny.

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
If we threw Mountain Hawks on the court or field we would have the DEPA in attendence.. that might be good though, boost our figures.

wkukid
January 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
exactly how do you show that you killed a hilltopper?

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Don't rememeber kiiling any bulldogs or eagles, but I have taken a few shots at mountaineers before :)

One of the urban legends, which you have probably heard before, is that Citadel boys a long time ago poked the eyes out of Furman's horse. I have never been able to verify, haven't tried real hard. Citdog told me he would check it out, but who the heck knows where he is?

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 07:37 AM

There are plenty in spirit. Chivalry is not dead in SC. :)

HiHiYikas
January 16th, 2006, 07:48 AM
exactly how do you show that you killed a hilltopper?
Buy a "meatwad" figurine from Aqua teen Hunger Force, bang it up a little...

Dr. Strangelove
January 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Buy a "meatwad" figurine from Aqua teen Hunger Force, bang it up a little...

:lmao:

RabidRabbit
January 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Have to have reasonably available carcasses, and be able to preserve. :asswhip:

So cold weather is critical - Good thing Bison/Sioux too heavy or not available.

Seen a missUSD 'yote or two! :hurray:

RockyMtnGriz
January 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
The Grizzlies/Vandal rivalry has had a few moments. Back in the 80's there were many times when potatoes ended up on the court during a basketball game. One time back in late 89 or 90, the Griz and Vandals were going to be playing on ESPN. Some protestors (don't really remember what about ?? logging I think ??), tried to hold up the game. They were the recipients of the potatoes. One ended up getting dragged off by his hair.

wannabegaucho
January 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The Grizzlies/Vandal rivalry has had a few moments. Back in the 80's there were many times when potatoes ended up on the court during a basketball game. One time back in late 89 or 90, the Griz and Vandals were going to be playing on ESPN. Some protestors (don't really remember what about ?? logging I think ??), tried to hold up the game. They were the recipients of the potatoes. One ended up getting dragged off by his hair.
Have you ever heard of the Tortilla game? (Between UC Santa Barbara and Pacific) From wiki:

"One of the more famous games held at the Thunderdome was on February 13, 1997, a nationally-televised Big West Conference men's basketball game against the University of the Pacific. Traditionally, at games televised by ESPN, fans would throw tortillas onto the court at the start of the game. A few years earlier, tortilla fragments got into one of ESPN's videocameras, and the school had to purchase a new one for the network.

Hoping to avoid embarrassment, school officials searched students at the gates to ensure that no tortillas made it into the arena. However, this created long lines at the gates (as 5,315 fans showed up for the game), so eventually the officials let students in without screening. Many of those unsearched attendees got in with tortillas, and threw them onto the court before the game started. The referees gave a technical foul to UCSB, and Pacific had a 1-0 lead before the game's tip-off. Students continued to throw tortillas on the court during the first half. In the second half, few tortillas were thrown until the closing seconds of the game, when a spectator threw one on the court, angering the UCSB coach as the Gauchos were leading by a few points. The Gauchos eventually won 75-69, and some UOP fans are still bitter to this day. When UCSB teams play UOP at the Alex G. Spanos Center, some resentful Pacific fans have booed the Gauchos."

Rick C
January 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Don't rememeber kiiling any bulldogs or eagles, but I have taken a few shots at mountaineers before :)

One of the urban legends, which you have probably heard before, is that Citadel boys a long time ago poked the eyes out of Furman's horse. I have never been able to verify, haven't tried real hard. Citdog told me he would check it out, but who the heck knows where he is?

Not a legend - actually happened. I can't remember the exact date, but Pat Conroy writes about it at length in "My Losing Season". It was sometime in the 60's. Some Citadel cadets kidnapped the horse as a gag. Unfortunately, they knew nothing about taking care of horses and somehow he was blinded accidentally in transport. They returned the horse but it had to be destroyed.

aggie6thman
January 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
At the UC Davis-Cal Poly Horseshoe Classic this year, students held up a sign for everyone wearing green and gold to read. "YOU WILL WORK FOR US" Here is the transcript from the radio station covering Aggie Football,
Archived audio from 1140 AM of the UC Davis-Cal Poly football game..."I kinda have my eyes on a sign by the UC Davis student section. Basically tells the Cal Poly students who have made the trek up here, You. Will. Work. For. Us. Wow. Oh no question. That is strong. The Aggie Pack is out in full force today. Whoever is responsible for coordinating that did a masterfull job."

The person responsible still has not been identified. :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM

I seem to remember watching this on TV. Weren't they protesting Iraq War I? Isn't that where the phrase "No blood for oil" was first heard? Seiorusly.

Cocky
January 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm sure several of our rivals have choked their chicken before the JSU game.

bluehenbillk
January 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM
The Villanova/Delaware rivalry has a unique flavor, after UD wins a game at 'Nova a drunken priest runs down UD parents with his car.

kats89
January 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Have you ever heard of the Tortilla game? (Between UC Santa Barbara and Pacific) From wiki:

"One of the more famous games held at the Thunderdome was on February 13, 1997, a nationally-televised Big West Conference men's basketball game against the University of the Pacific. Traditionally, at games televised by ESPN, fans would throw tortillas onto the court at the start of the game. A few years earlier, tortilla fragments got into one of ESPN's videocameras, and the school had to purchase a new one for the network.

Hoping to avoid embarrassment, school officials searched students at the gates to ensure that no tortillas made it into the arena. However, this created long lines at the gates (as 5,315 fans showed up for the game), so eventually the officials let students in without screening. Many of those unsearched attendees got in with tortillas, and threw them onto the court before the game started. The referees gave a technical foul to UCSB, and Pacific had a 1-0 lead before the game's tip-off. Students continued to throw tortillas on the court during the first half. In the second half, few tortillas were thrown until the closing seconds of the game, when a spectator threw one on the court, angering the UCSB coach as the Gauchos were leading by a few points. The Gauchos eventually won 75-69, and some UOP fans are still bitter to this day. When UCSB teams play UOP at the Alex G. Spanos Center, some resentful Pacific fans have booed the Gauchos."

Tx Tech fans throw tortillas all the time.

OL FU
January 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Not a legend - actually happened. I can't remember the exact date, but Pat Conroy writes about it at length in "My Losing Season". It was sometime in the 60's. Some Citadel cadets kidnapped the horse as a gag. Unfortunately, they knew nothing about taking care of horses and somehow he was blinded accidentally in transport. They returned the horse but it had to be destroyed.

I will have to read that book. I read Lords and he writes some about the rivalry, did not realize My Losing Season discussed this

ButlerGSU
January 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Is this common behavior with your biggest rival? I mean during the Montana/Montana St. games is the field littered with dead bears and bobcats?
This is not intended for smack and any replies would be appreciated.

No, throwing items or any physical contact for that matter, is not acceptable.

EagleCrusade
January 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Well if you count the time the purple knight was thrown off his own horse.....

Killtoppers90
January 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm sure several of our rivals have choked their chicken before the JSU game.

JSU isn't even one of OUR rivals but I choke it all the time!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Husky Alum
January 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I seem to remember watching this on TV. Weren't they protesting Iraq War I? Isn't that where the phrase "No blood for oil" was first heard? Seiorusly.

I think so too. I remember it vividly.

Stang Fever
January 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Classic LOL

DinoDex200
January 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Great book! I have to go back an re-read it...

I actually read "Lords of Discipline" after "My Losing Season", it was interesting seeing the parallels between his real life, and "Lords", and being able to read about the SoCon in its Pre-App days...

Dino starts figuring out where he can adopt a terrier before the Wofford game next year... :)

Golden Eagle
January 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM

That's a bit too much informaton, but if you think about it what else is there to do in Bowling Green? :eyebrow:

DinoDex200
January 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM
...what else is there to do in Bowling Green? :eyebrow:

Well, you've obviously never been to Mr. Gatti's!!! :hurray: :hurray:

MarkCCU
January 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM

They are a mile past the Chanticleer Ranch...in upstate SC