PDA

View Full Version : I-AA ACADEMIC ALL-STAR TEAM (FOOTBALL 05)

MACHIAVELLI
January 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM
EIGHTH ANNUAL DIVISION I-AA ACADEMIC ALL-STAR TEAM

Josh Antinopoulos, Duquesne;
Maurice Bennett, Lafayette;
Katon Bethay, Wofford;
Philip Bretsch, San Diego;
Phil Buchanan, Butler;
Perry Cox, Western Illinois;
Joey Cwik, Eastern Washington;
Adam Degraffenreid, Charleston Southern;
Jonathan Denley, Illinois State;
Josh Dooley, Dartmouth;
Reed Doughty, Northern Colorado;
Clyde Edwards, Grambling State;
Ryan Esdale, Duquesne;
Ryan Feely, Jacksonville;
Gerell Golightly, Hampton;
Jon Grant, UC Davis;
Shaun Grover, Wagner;
Matthew Handlon, Yale;
Nick Hartigan, Brown;
Matt Hoelscher, Stephen F. Austin State;
Josh Hoke, Coastal Carolina;
Brian Johnson, North Carolina A & T;
Eric Jones, Weber State;
Joey King, Portland State;
Travis Lulay, Montana State;
Matthew Magerko, James Madison;
Jon Mahan, Tennessee Tech;
Chad McMahan, Tennessee Martin;
Paul Mefford, Northwestern State;
Mike Miller, Southeast Missouri State;
Randy Moshier, Texas State;
Luke Palko, St. Francis (Pa.);
Eugene Pietzak, Stony Brook;
Tim Popowski, North Dakota State;
Jordan Richardson, Austin Peay;
Joel , Southern Illinois;
John Schabilion, Northern Iowa;
John Sciarra, Wagner;
Josh Smith, Wofford;
Kristian Smith, Alabama A & M;
Brady Wahlberg, Tennessee Martin;
Andrew Wilson, Princeton;
Tom Zetts, Youngstown State;
Kole Zimmerman, North Dakota State.

Source (http://butlersports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011406aab.html)

Hansel
January 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Josh Antinopoulos, Duquesne;
Katon Bethay, Wofford;
Philip Bretsch, San Diego;
Phil Buchanan, Butler;
Perry Cox, Western Illinois;
Joey Cwik, Eastern Washington;
Adam Degraffenreid, Charleston Southern;
Jonathan Denley, Illinois State;
Josh Dooley, Dartmouth;
Reed Doughty, Northern Colorado;
Clyde Edwards, Grambling State;
Ryan Esdale, Duquesne;
Ryan Feely, Jacksonville;
Gerell Golightly, Hampton;
Jon Grant, UC Davis;
Shaun Grover, Wagner;
Matthew Handlon, Yale;
Nick Hartigan, Brown;
Matt Hoelscher, Stephen F. Austin State;
Josh Hoke, Coastal Carolina;
Brian Johnson, North Carolina A & T;
Eric Jones, Weber State;
Joey King, Portland State;
Travis Lulay, Montana State;
Matthew Magerko, James Madison;
Jon Mahan, Tennessee Tech;
Chad McMahan, Tennessee Martin;
Paul Mefford, Northwestern State;
Mike Miller, Southeast Missouri State;
Randy Moshier, Texas State;
Luke Palko, St. Francis (Pa.);
Eugene Pietzak, Stony Brook;
Tim Popowski, North Dakota State;
Jordan Richardson, Austin Peay;
Joel , Southern Illinois;
John Schabilion, Northern Iowa;
John Sciarra, Wagner;
Josh Smith, Wofford;
Kristian Smith, Alabama A & M;
Brady Wahlberg, Tennessee Martin;
Andrew Wilson, Princeton;
Tom Zetts, Youngstown State;
Kole Zimmerman, North Dakota State.

Source (http://butlersports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011406aab.html)

go Great West :hurray: :hurray:

GAD
January 15th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Great these are the player we should be most proud of. :hurray:

skinny_uncle
January 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
These are true student-athletes. In case anyone does not know, Joel from Southern Illinois is Joel Sambursky.

carney2
January 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'm confident that none of these guys took ballroom dancing like a certain Heisman Trophy winner who got those I-A headlines over the past two years. To get this recognition, each player had to post a minimum 3.2 GPA (4 point system) as well as demonstrate that he was a starter with significant contributions to his team. A fantastic accomplishment considering the demands of playing college football.

HiHiYikas
January 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I am a little surprised that Furman's Jerome Felton is not on that list. From what I have heard he is a remarkably intelligent guy who started taking college courses in jr. high. Something like that.

GOKATS
January 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Congrats to all of these student athletes, but especially to Travis Lulay and the others from the Big Sky Conf. Well done!

RadMann
January 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Congrats to all of the recipients! All student athletes who partake in varsity athletics, carry a full course load and on top of that do very well in their classes deserve to be congratulated. They are well on their way to doing very well in life.....

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Go Bennett! Second Leopard in two years.. Bennett practically has his own webpage with all the alcolades he's won this year. No need worrying about his future... Credit Suisse internship.. quite good.

Pards might make it three in a row.. Brad Maurer next year maybe!

HiHiYikas
January 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I'm confident that none of these guys took ballroom dancing like a certain Heisman Trophy winner who got those I-A headlines over the past two years. To get this recognition, each player had to post a minimum 3.2 GPA (4 point system) as well as demonstrate that he was a starter with significant contributions to his team. A fantastic accomplishment considering the demands of playing college football.
What prevents an academic all-conference player from being named to the academic all-american team? Is there a limit to the number that can be selected?

goasu.com lists 5 Mountaineers on the Academic All-SoCon football team. If we have 5, I'm sure some of the other schools in the SoCon have more than that.

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I am a little surprised that Furman's Jerome Felton is not on that list. From what I have heard he is a remarkably intelligent guy who started taking college courses in jr. high. Something like that.

Personal: Full name is Jerome Jean-Marie Felton...son of Sabrina Felton-Curtis and Boyd Curtis.,.mother is a native of Germany and former professional gymnast...born July 3, 1986, in Duren, West Germany...has three siblings: Maike, Simon, and Eamon...took the ACT as a seventh grader as part of Duke University's Talent Search program...score was high enough to allow him to enroll in summer and night courses at Hiwassee College, where between the seventh and 11th grades he completed 19 hours of college credit courses...is a professionally trained scuba diver and rescuer...political science major...sports a 3.05 grade point average.

this was last year's info for Felton. While 3.05 ain't bad, probably not good enough for national honors.

carney2
January 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
What prevents an academic all-conference player from being named to the academic all-american team? Is there a limit to the number that can be selected?

goasu.com lists 5 Mountaineers on the Academic All-SoCon football team. If we have 5, I'm sure some of the other schools in the SoCon have more than that.

Can only guess that the folks who do the selecting want to spread the wealth and have a (probably unwritten) rule against too many people from the same school/conference.

HiHiYikas
January 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
...took the ACT as a seventh grader as part of Duke University's Talent Search program...score was high enough to allow him to enroll in summer and night courses at Hiwassee College, where between the seventh and 11th grades he completed 19 hours of college credit courses...is a professionally trained scuba diver and rescuer...political science major...sports a 3.05 grade point average.
I would have guessed a higher GPA from a guy who started college in 7th grade. Impressive, nonetheless. I wonder if the college courses he took in 7th-11th wound up being lower grades, and if those count against him...I think 3.2 is the cutoff.

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I would have guessed a higher GPA from a guy who started college in 7th grade. Impressive, nonetheless. I wonder if the college courses he took in 7th-11th wound up being lower grades, and if those count against him...I think 3.2 is the cutoff.

Don't know, I can tell you when I went to Furman and I would assume that it is tougher today, transferring classes from other insitutions was doable but iwas not easy.

Also, my recollection and of course this is from a long time ago, is that the required liberal arts courses can lower one's GPA because number 1) they aren't crib and (2) if someone is like me, I don't perform well in the academic areas that I am not interested in.

SoCon48
January 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Normally the grades themselves don't transfer. Only the credits. e.g. JC transfers start all over with their QP's at a new school. Too, credits taken as a 7th grader would expire by a person's senior year. Can't count grades that are 10 years old.

HiHiYikas
January 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
This season's All-SoCon academic team - it would be interesting to hear from fans in other conferences about Academic All-Conf honors, since these athletes really deserve some admiration:

http://www.nmnathletics.com/attachments1/909.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000

And hey, big-time congrats to Wofford's Katon Bethany, who is not only a first-team all SoCon DL, but an All-SoCon Academic team member as well. Looks like he's a Philosophy major with a 3.48.

According to my quick scanning of the lists, he's the only SoConner to receive both honors. Wofford's got a conference-leading 12 guys on the All-Academic team. Not too shabby.

FlyYtown
January 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Great to see Youngstown State's Starting QB on that list. He is a very smart guy with a 3.85 GPA. This also gives kudos to the school system he went to, Boardman, Ohio, which is a suburb of Youngstown.

Congrats to all as these are the true athletes who can find time to excel-TYPO- in athletics and academics!

MACHIAVELLI
January 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM
ICON/Grambling Sophmore Clyde Edwards 4.0 gpa in Marketing. He finished 4th in the SWAC in total receiving yards with 1,015 and 4th in receptions with 54 in 2005. He also had 10 TD's. For his career he has 93 receptions, 1,623 and 14td's.

FU97
January 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Yeah, he came in with almost enough credits to be a Sophomore. He told the coaching staff he wasn't going to hang around for 5 years for football. He was going to be done in 4 with a graduate degree so don't redshirt him. Now he might be done with a graduate degree, but he's got outside potential in the NFL when he's done at Furman.

If he got the ball enough, I think he'd be a viable candidate for the Payton, but I don't think he'll get enough carries to compare to many other candidates.