PDA

View Full Version : UMass spring drills

umassfan
May 6th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Coach Brown on UMass's spring (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050405aad.html)

UMass has had an interesting spring... had a few injurys and illness's but for the most part the drills were used to built some good chemistry. We seem pretty set at every possition and our only question mark seems to be who will start at QB. Prob wont be answered till a week or two before our first game and be all about who puts in the most work this summer. Its going to be a great year in Minuteman land. The rest of the A10 needs to look out. We should start the season 5-0 if we play our style and have no disapointments but then have this killer strech:

10/15 James Madison
10/22 @ Maine
10/29 New Hampshire
11/05 @Delaware.
11/12 @Army
We need to win 2 of these games and not have any major setbacks to reach the playoffs this season!

Tribe4SF
May 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Excellent outlook for the Minutemen. That write-up, however, borders on the illiterate. An embarrassment for UMass and a failing grade in English 101. Hope it wasn't written by Coach Brown, but even if it's quotes, it makes him look bad. Someone in your SID office needs to find another job.

colgate13
May 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM
We seem pretty set at every possition and our only question mark seems to be who will start at QB.

I thought Evan Kraky was your QB of the future? :confused:

sorry, couldn't help myself!!!!!!!!!

Maroon&White
May 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Excellent outlook for the Minutemen. That write-up, however, borders on the illiterate. An embarrassment for UMass and a failing grade in English 101. Hope it wasn't written by Coach Brown, but even if it's quotes, it makes him look bad. Someone in your SID office needs to find another job.

I was thinking the same thing about the English. I almost had to stop reading the article because of it.

Umass74
May 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM
The article seems to be a transcription of a verbal statement. Everybody sounds like that when a conversation is written down. They should have cleaned it up instead transcribing it word-for-word.

GannonFan
May 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
UMass had 3 really major problems last year: just average performance from the QB spot, porous run defense, and a really tough schedule. They were really fine everywhere else and Blaylark is clearly one of the better backs in IAA. The big question is, has any of those 3 problem areas been fixed this year? Day is still the QB (they keep bringing in guys to beat him out and they never pan out), pretty much the same unit for their front 7 is back so will just another year be enough to make them better against the run, and is the schedule any easier? I think the schedule is still tough - I see UMass having no problem starting 5-0, but the last six games (you forgot to add the game at Hofstra to end the season) are brutal. Even the Army game, which is one of the easier IA's you can play, is tough in that stretch being a road game and being right after the game in Newark. Four road games out of the last 5, all at tough venues, could doom UMass this year.

umassfan
May 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM
UMass has a great SID. He puts out some of the best media guides there is in the country. For fooball his guide is always in the top 5 in the country. As for the article... it has more to do with expressing the quotes that Brown said then how it was writen IMO. As for the team. Our frount 7 added alot of depth this year either by transfers who sat out last year and freshman who will see some time. It also doesnt hurt that they all now have a year of exp. As for the QB battle... from what I was told... Day came into the spring showing alot of improvement till he got sick. He knows his job is on the line and he is putting up a fight. Personally I think our freshman Coen will be the starter but that will remain to be seen. And for the schedule.... nothing we can do about that but at least this year our tough games end the season and not start them. That hurt us last year with our young team... now we have a vet team with the tough games at the end... Im just hoping for a major injury free season.

Umass74
May 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM
UMass had some major graduation losses in 2004. The entire two deep on the defensive line and two of three LB's left. UMass went into spring 2004 with 14 scholarship players on defense. We were both small and young on the DL.

We also lost Jeff Krohn, who lost four 1-AA games in two years. Day was essentually a RF, who had three games total playing time.

I think UMass will be improved in both areas. We have some significant improvements in DL. We have more depth at LB.

Since none of those new players have played yet, the jury is still out. However, IMHO, we win two to three more games this year...

DTSpider
May 6th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I certainly hope that UMass comes down to Richmond thinking about a 5-0 start. If that attitude prevails I think that Thursday night's plane ride back could be a long one. Richmond has played UMass well in the past. I'm hoping that the Spiders will give a good performance. I can't wait until September 1st. Thursday night under the lights, should be exciting!

Tod
May 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM
oops again. :D

umassfan
May 7th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I certainly hope that UMass comes down to Richmond thinking about a 5-0 start. If that attitude prevails I think that Thursday night's plane ride back could be a long one. Richmond has played UMass well in the past. I'm hoping that the Spiders will give a good performance. I can't wait until September 1st. Thursday night under the lights, should be exciting!

Richmond is always a rough game, but unlike last year if we come in healthy this year, I dont see any issues.

Tribe4SF
May 7th, 2005, 05:12 AM
The article seems to be a transcription of a verbal statement. Everybody sounds like that when a conversation is written down. They should have cleaned it up instead transcribing it word-for-word.

If that's what he said, I can see why they had trouble with it. Some of it (like the first paragraph) doesn't make sense.

He certainly has gone out on a limb for the team. A little unusual for a coach to be so glowing about prospects in the spring. I happen to agree with him, but still unusual.

umassfan
May 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
UMass spring game (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050705aab.html)

Looks like we had a productive spring game. Offense looks sharp and the D... Well its a Coach Brown D...

Old Cage
May 8th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I was there. Liam Coen was excellent. Sharply thrown balls that hit the numbers downfield. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our qb. He made the most of the opportunity that he was given because Day missed a lot of the spring with mono.

Baylark, Cobbs, and several receivers impressed.

It was like a November day - 45 degrees, wind, and rain.

bkrownd
May 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM
It was like a November day - 45 degrees, wind, and rain.

Heh - yeah that does just about sum up November games at McGuirk. :) Let the mud begin...