PDA

View Full Version : Washington Griz louder than 72,000 seat Qwest Field

Ronbo
January 14th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I was watching the Seahawks game earlier today and the announcers for Fox were making a huge deal about how Qwest Field is the loudest stadium in the NFL. They took a decibel reading during the game and it was 101 decibels.

During the Sam Houston State playoff game in 2004 we were louder at Washington Griz. 105-107 decibels was the reading when the ESPN sideline reporter was on camera. He said that he had gotten 110 decibel readings earlier. :hurray:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/washington/seattle_seahawks2.jpg

blackfordpu
January 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I was watching the Seahawks game earlier today and the announcers for Fox were making a huge deal about how Qwest Field is the loudest stadium in the NFL. They took a decible reading during the game and it was 101 decibels.

During the Sam Houston State playoff game in 2004 we were louder at Washington Griz. 105-107 decibels was the reading when the ESPN sideline reporter was on camera. He said that he had gotten 110 decibel readings earlier. :hurray:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/washington/seattle_seahawks2.jpg

I hope Sam Houston and Montana meet again sometime soon in Missoula. I really want to visit that stadium. :)

TulsaBobcat
January 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
That reading was taken before the game had even started (as they raised the 12th man flag). During the game I almost guarantee it got louder than Washington Grizzly.

Griz Grunt
January 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
That reading was taken before the game had even started (as they raised the 12th man flag). During the game I almost guarantee it got louder than Washington Grizzly.

Wellllllll, if you almost grarantee it, i'll almost take your word for it.:nod: ;) :nod:

Ronbo
January 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
They would have to get alot louder as 4-10 db's is a fairly big difference in loudness since it is a logarithmic scale. I doubt they got that much louder.

Geeze you cat fans are so frickin' jealous, it's funny. By the way nice class on TV today. We could hear your basketball fans chanting Fu@k the Griz loud and clear on our TV. Real Class! Only fans I've ever heard chant something like that. :nono:

ASU Kep
January 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's louder at Wash-Griz. In the playoffs the ticket prices sometimes really don't allow a lot of the more enthusiastic fans to come, or they are sitting so far up that they aren't heard as well.

I'd be real interested to know how loud Kidd Brewer gets on Black Saturday's, or how loud is was in Chatty.

blur2005
January 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
They would have to get alot louder as 4-10 db's is a fairly big difference in loudness since it is a logarithmic scale. I doubt they got that much louder.

Geeze you cat fans are so frickin' jealous, it's funny. By the way nice class on TV today. We could hear your basketball fans chanting Fu@k the Griz loud and clear on our TV. Real Class! Only fans I've ever heard chant something like that. :nono:
So I'm fairly sure you haven't watched a lot of basketball games then. Or at least no Maryland games.

grizbeer
January 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
That reading was taken before the game had even started (as they raised the 12th man flag). During the game I almost guarantee it got louder than Washington Grizzly.I went to the Seattle/Colts game on Christmas Eve. Everyone kept talking about how loud it was, but WA-Griz is much louder. Now that game might not have been a true test, because it was basically a meaningless game.

I will say the loudest games I have ever been to were in Seattle - in the old Kingdome - a Monday night game against the Raiders, and the 95 playoff game when Seattle beat the Yankees in game 5 of the ALDS. Qwest Field is loud, but my ears didn't ring afterwords, and you could hear the person next to you most of the game - if the game I went to was any indication WA-Griz is much louder.

Rabbit3467
January 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I went to the SDSU vs Montana game at WA-Griz this year and I have to say it was pretty loud...especially when the Griz fans were booing their own team.
:) :) :)

I don't really mean to talk any smack. I just thought that it was great that SDSU (2nd year in I-AA) could make the Griz fans boo. I was a little worried that the game could have been a blow out, so I was proud that they played the Griz that well.

TulsaBobcat
January 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Oh yeah I am extremely jealous. It all comes back to that doesn't it Ronbo!? Or should I call you Mr. Embellishment. You do, quite often, add ficticious details to your posts (as in the 72,000 seat Qwest Field....and several days ago posting that MSU's stadium holds 16,500. Although I shouldn't complain about pro-Cat exaggerations).

I do, in fact, love watching football games at Washington Grizzly stadium. I am very happy to concede that you have the best stadium in I-AA football. I tell all sorts of people how fun it is. What is abhorrent is that Griz fans always have to bluster that they have a larger "member" than almost anyone else in I-AA.

Secondly, I wasn't even at the game today. I am too far away and can't take responsibility for the chants. As the JMU fan wrote, you must not go to many games. Besides, I was watching my Seahawks beat the Redskins. Nice try though.

It is always nice to receive a lesson in class from someone that gives you the finger at the end of their post. Have a good weekend, you charlatan.

crunifan
January 15th, 2006, 02:25 AM
I wonder what it would be for the UNI-Dome at the Southern Illinois game. Nearly 16,000 fans screaming loud to begin with...inside a dome with a metal roof. Now that is loud.

dirtbag
January 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I am completely shocked that we're 11 posts into a thread about Washington-Grizzly Stadium, and no one has posted a picture of it yet.

kalm
January 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
In addition to being loud, I heard that (Eastern) Washington Grizzly Stadium was once the site of an ancient Native American burial ground protected with the powerful magic of indian shamans who placed a curse on any opposing football team that was to set foot on it's hallowed presence - a la the movie poltergeist. :)

Either that or it was the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenent. I forget which. :p

Ronbo
January 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah I am extremely jealous. It all comes back to that doesn't it Ronbo!? Or should I call you Mr. Embellishment. You do, quite often, add ficticious details to your posts (as in the 72,000 seat Qwest Field....and several days ago posting that MSU's stadium holds 16,500. Although I shouldn't complain about pro-Cat exaggerations).

I do, in fact, love watching football games at Washington Grizzly stadium. I am very happy to concede that you have the best stadium in I-AA football. I tell all sorts of people how fun it is. What is abhorrent is that Griz fans always have to bluster that they have a larger "member" than almost anyone else in I-AA.

Secondly, I wasn't even at the game today. I am too far away and can't take responsibility for the chants. As the JMU fan wrote, you must not go to many games. Besides, I was watching my Seahawks beat the Redskins. Nice try though.

It is always nice to receive a lesson in class from someone that gives you the finger at the end of their post. Have a good weekend, you charlatan.

That's not the finger Tulsa that's a naughty sign, it's the index being waved in a "shouldn't have done it" way. I got the Qwest Stadium figure directly from their web site. Doesn't the Litterbox seat 16000? Thought they did.

Ronbo
January 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM
So I'm fairly sure you haven't watched a lot of basketball games then. Or at least no Maryland games.

I've watched 100's of college basketball games on TV in my life and this is the first time I've ever heard F@CK coming through my TV set.

eagle1
January 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The last time I heard (Eastern) Washington-Grizzly stadium it was quiet as a church on Monday. That was when my Eagles were beating the Grizzlies 34-20 last October. :smiley_wi

Seriously, (Eastern) Washington-Grizzly Stadium is loud but not louder than an NFL stadium or many big time D1 stadiums (Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tennessee etc....). Please! Go Eagles!!!

DuckDuckGriz
January 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The last time I heard (Eastern) Washington-Grizzly stadium it was quiet as a church on Monday. That was when my Eagles were beating the Grizzlies 34-20 last October. :smiley_wi

Seriously, (Eastern) Washington-Grizzly Stadium is loud but not louder than an NFL stadium or many big time D1 stadiums (Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tennessee etc....). Please! Go Eagles!!!

I thought (Eastern) Washington Grizzly Stadium was the one in Cheney, since the Griz fans always outnumber the Eagle fans.

It was EWU's first win in Missoula since 1997 -- and their (three?) wins in Missoula is the most of any team. But don't call it Eastern Wash. Griz.

Ronbo
January 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Well mister know it all, the meter readings were taken at the NFL's loudest and looks like we won.

wannabegaucho
January 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Well mister know it all, the meter readings were taken at the NFL's loudest and looks like we won.
By any chance, are the seats at W-G closer to the field than the seats at Qwest Field?

CrunchGriz
January 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
By any chance, are the seats at W-G closer to the field than the seats at Qwest Field?

Bingo! You've hit on the crux of the matter. As I've noted here and on eGriz in the past, the biggest reason Wash-Griz is so loud is that the stands are so close to the field. While the sound levels in the stands are obviously louder at a much larger field, like Washington's Husky Stadium or the Seahawks' Qwest Field, that's because the noise source (the crowd) is very close to the listener (also in the stands, in the midst of the noise). However, at field level, the distance from the stands comes into play in a big way, because the intensity of sound diminishes by the square of the distance to the sound's source.

The stands in Wash-Griz are built as tight to the field as possible, with little intervening space and no track, unlike most other stadia.

It's counter-intuitive, but a little stadium can produce large quantities of sound intensity at field level if it's built right, even more than a much larger stadium. The squared diminishment by distance is the other key (i.e., sound intensity at four feet from a source is only 1/16th of the same sound only one foot from the source--sound diminishes much more quickly with distance than one would think).

I didn't believe it, either, until I did the math.

Ronbo
January 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
It's true that it's louder the closer to the field you sit. I've sat in the 20th row up and I've sat in the 1st row at Washington Griz. The sound is many times greater if you're down in the first row. Probably close to what they are experiencing down on the field.

ncbears
January 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM

I agree. After watching that game, I was thinking about how quiet that game was. Seattle fans don't know how to get rowdy! Now here in Colorado, Mile High Stadium was rockin!

dirtbag
January 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM
22 posts and not a single picture!!! WTH HAS HAPPENED TO THE GRIZ FANS?!?!?!?

X-Factor
January 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I thought (Eastern) Washington Grizzly Stadium was the one in Cheney, since the Griz fans always outnumber the Eagle fans.

It was EWU's first win in Missoula since 1997 -- and their (three?) wins in Missoula is the most of any team. But don't call it Eastern Wash. Griz.

That is because every time a team beats the Grizz in their house they wont schedule them anymore. :D Kinda hard to lose to a team you wont play huh? ;)

kalm
January 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM

You're correct on all counts except we've won at EASTERN Washington Grizzly Stadium 4 times. But now that we've stolen the Griz mojo, we'll continue to use the name at least until we lose there again which, at the earliest, would be in two years. :asswhip:

bandl
January 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I've watched 100's of college basketball games on TV in my life and this is the first time I've ever heard F@CK coming through my TV set.
Yikes.....really? :confused: I can't think of one Big East or ACC game that I've seen (I get just about every game televised since I live in their core area), in which I don't hear some sort of profanity. Even CAA games between GMU and XX (name the school, it seems everyone in the CAA hates them). Nationally televised games between ranked teams or bitter opponents are the same. Most of the time it's subtle and you can't hear it unless you try to, but it's always there to be heard, sometimes more prevalent than other times. Some schools are just much more vocal when it comes to expressing how they really feel!! :nod:

AZGrizFan
January 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
You're correct on all counts except we've won at EASTERN Washington Grizzly Stadium 4 times. But now that we've stolen the Griz mojo, we'll continue to use the name at least until we lose there again which, at the earliest, would be in two years. :asswhip:

Ahhhh, we'll get the mojo back in Cheney next year. Book it. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: