PDA

View Full Version : Extra Point - I-AA Rookies Fare Well in NFL

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Great job Matt D! Talk all about JEROME MATHIS of the Houston Texans to get things rolling about the best I-AA rookies. I call it the one bright spot on this past season... :)

By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - Quick, name the only rookie to make the NFL’s All-Pro team.

How about No. 1 draft choice Alex Smith? Or maybe running backs Carnell Williams or Ronnie Brown, or Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman.

No, No and No again. The only rookie to make the All-Pro team was Houston Texan, and Hampton product, Jerome Mathis. The speedy Mathis had an excellent season to earn an All-Pro nod as a kick returner, and was just one of many examples of I-AA alums shedding the "small-school" label and producing in their first NFL campaign.

Mathis’ exploits highlight a list of successful NFL rookies with I-AA pedigrees in the 2005 season. Mathis displayed his gamebreaking speed and etched his name in the Houston Texans’ record books in a rookie campaign that earned with a Pro Bowl berth and AP All-Pro honors as a kick returner.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/agn3998500.htm

blackfordpu
January 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Lets hope they represent well in the Pro Bowl. :hurray: