PDA

View Full Version : Harvard student paper calls for new YALE coach

bulldog10jw
January 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=510081

I guess they don't want to see the rivalry go the way of Yale-Princeton.

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=510081

I guess they don't want to see the rivalry go the way of Yale-Princeton.

Who cares what Harvard's paper has to say?

Why would they say that anyhow? Harvard keeps winning, so be happy.

Ivytalk
January 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Looks like the story came out the Monday after The Game, and it doesn't look like things will change in New Haven next year. I wonder how long Murphy will stay at Harvard. Probably as long as he likes. Harvard's alums aren't as vociferous as Yale's in matters of football.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Looks like the story came out the Monday after The Game, and it doesn't look like things will change in New Haven next year. I wonder how long Murphy will stay at Harvard. Probably as long as he likes. Harvard's alums aren't as vociferous as Yale's in matters of football.

Only when it comes to keeping the Ivies from the I-AA playoffs... :eek:

Harvard Worship
January 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Only when it comes to keeping the Ivies from the I-AA playoffs... :eek:

Not ALL of the Ivy Presidents are Harvard Alums... In fact, I bet if those that aren't were replaced with more deserving candidates that the vote on whether the Ivies go to the playoffs or not would fall very differently...

Harvard men may be arrogant and unabashed self-promoters, but we're not hypocrites. If hockey and basketball (and oh, lets see, all the other sports) get to play in the national tourney, Football should too.

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Not ALL of the Ivy Presidents are Harvard Alums... In fact, I bet if those that aren't were replaced with more deserving candidates that the vote on whether the Ivies go to the playoffs or not would fall very differently...

Harvard men may be arrogant and unabashed self-promoters, but we're not hypocrites. If hockey and basketball (and oh, lets see, all the other sports) get to play in the national tourney, Football should too.

So doesn't that make Harvard hypocritical?

Although I can see you are not.. your administration is.. no vocalization on the matter...

bulldog10jw
January 14th, 2006, 10:37 PM
So doesn't that make Harvard hypocritical?

Yes, and Yale and Princeton, also. The other schools in the league get a pass because if the Y-P-H axis wanted post season play in football, there would be post season play in football.

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, and Yale and Princeton, also. The other schools in the league get a pass because if the Y-P-H axis wanted post season play in football, there would be post season play in football.

What about Penn? They are an Ivy athletic powerhouse. And what about the others? Do they want playoffs and get shouted down? (hard time believing that) Do YPH really control everything in that league?

bulldog10jw
January 14th, 2006, 11:00 PM
What about Penn? They are an Ivy athletic powerhouse. And what about the others? Do they want playoffs and get shouted down? (hard time believing that) Do YPH really control everything in that league?

It has nothing to do with who wins championships. From what I understand, and this is all just rumors and stuff you hear 2nd hand, some of the other schools, particularly Penn, would like to see playoff football. The Y-P-H axis plus Dartmouth say no.

It's not a matter of the other schools being shouted down. It's more that they know who is against it so it never gets brought up, formally.

Pard4Life
January 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
It has nothing to do with who wins championships. From what I understand, and this is all just rumors and stuff you hear 2nd hand, some of the other schools, particularly Penn, would like to see playoff football. The Y-P-H axis plus Dartmouth say no.

It's not a matter of the other schools being shouted down. It's more that they know who is against it so it never gets brought up, formally.

So why are those four saying no?

I guess that leaves the other four saying yes or abstaining... but then again I can't see Columbia pulling much weight in a football arguement.. and nobody seems to like what Cornell ever has to say from what I hear on boards.

bulldog10jw
January 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM
So why are those four saying no?

Nobody knows the real reason. They always fall back on things like "the season is already too long", " it will hurt academics", "travel", etc. However, we all know that the basketball and baseball seasons are longer and have much more travel.

There has also been no great groundswell that I can see from the football alumni to get things changed. I have never heard any of the officers of the Football Y Association even comment on the possibility of playoffs.

Regarding just Y and H you have the Yale-Harvard game arrogance. This line of thinking says that nothing can be more important than the game (I mean THE GAME) so any playoff games would be anti-climatic.(Of course this only affects Harvard since they actually have a shot at the playoffs each year) You would be surprised how many people feel this way.

LeopardFan04
January 15th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Regarding just Y and H you have the Yale-Harvard game arrogance. This line of thinking says that nothing can be more important than the game (I mean THE GAME) so any playoff games would be anti-climatic.(Of course this only affects Harvard since they actually have a shot at the playoffs each year) You would be surprised how many people feel this way.

I could see in a way how that could make sense. But on the other hand, if playoffs were up in the air, the game could take on added meaning since Harvard/Yale, or any of the other rivalry could decide the Ivy's bid to the playoffs...kind of like Lafayette/Lehigh has the last couple of years...so there is added incentive, not that in these games anyone needs any...

Go...gate
January 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yale still dominates Princeton in football :asswhip: . Princeton has not won a big FB game against Yale since 1966 (40 years!) :bang: . Having suffered through many of those losses (though Colgate is the alma mater, Princeton is my home-town team), I am convinced that Handsome Dan (Yale's Bulldog mascot) could be coaching Yale and they would still prevail over the Tigers for years to come. :nonono2:

LBPop
January 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM

A little off point, but perhaps it should be noted as the H-Y-P(E) Axis. :rolleyes:

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Well then, young Ivy alum should get a movement going.

Lafayette-Lehigh is not diminished in importance since it's not the last game. As noted above, it makes it that much more important and heated. If one team has a playoff shot, the other team can ruin it.

Even though the Appalachian playoff game was our most important of the season, I did not find myself more hyped and riled up than over the Lehigh game. I don't see how anything would change 'The (other) Game'.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Well then, young Ivy alum should get a movement going.

Lafayette-Lehigh is not diminished in importance since it's not the last game. As noted above, it makes it that much more important and heated. If one team has a playoff shot, the other team can ruin it.

Even though the Appalachian playoff game was our most important of the season, I did not find myself more hyped and riled up than over the Lehigh game. I don't see how anything would change 'The (other) Game'.

I couldn't agree more. Now that the I-AA playoffs have been on the line for two straight years, the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry has rarely been more healthy. Two decades ago, Lehigh and Lafayette would play for school pride only, and the focus on the game was postgame riots and alcohol abuse. Now, with the national focus and the prospect of games beyond that Saturday, it's much better.

When I looked up articles on Harvard/Yale last year, I saw lots of articles talking about alcohol, not talking about Ivy championships. I can guarantee you that playing for a shot at the I-AA playoffs would change that overnight.

In our case, the playoffs SAVED the rivalry. It could do the same for Harvard/Yale. I'm serious.

Marcus Garvey
January 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
It's no so much other schools "falling in line" with the "Big 3," but that to change the Ivy League rule regarding post-season competition for football, a 3/4th majority is needed. As long as 3 schools say "nyet" to football playoffs, there nothing the other 5 can do.

Go...gate
January 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Army or Navy going to a bowl game does not diminsh the importance of the Army-Navy game by any measure.

Pard4Life
January 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Army or Navy going to a bowl game does not diminsh the importance of the Army-Navy game by any measure.

Bingo. It's the only time those two teams and all those cadets and mids get together on the gridiron, just like it's the only time 'pards and hawkineers, and eli and crimson meet on the gridiron. It is still immensely important and special.

Plus, cadets and mids have been ruining each others' bowl chances for years. See how much fun they have doing that to each other?