PDA

View Full Version : Mortensen Bolts from GSU!

Bulldog1
January 12th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Well - maybe VanGorder isn't the 2nd coming for Georgia Southern after all. The much anticipated arrival of his transfer quarterback went south! The kid came to campus, but then left before attending a single class.

GSU may be paying a I-A salary, but the school is no where ready to attract the kids they thought a big name coach would bring in.

Baldy
January 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
You seem to have all the answers, what did VanGorder do to run him off?

Hansel
January 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
maybe they are getting Vick :p

Bulldog1
January 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Didn't say he "ran him off" - but you must admit that this transfer has been plastered all over the net by GSU faithful who are so high on BVG as the saving grace of Eagle Football. :argue:

The old staff gets shafted for a big name in Van Gorder. Next all everyone hears is about the SEC coaches coming in as assistants. Well - that didn't exactly happen. MTSU, MSU, and WM aren't exactly coaching hotbeds.

Then tons of hype about this D I-A Quarterback is coming to install the "NEW" offense. This doesn't pan out either.

I feel for VanGorder. I think he has gotten into a situation where there are fickle fans, a few boosters with a lot of money to try and run the show, and an AD that wants to big time it but doesn't know how!

Hey - I'm not a big Sewak fan. But this whole situation has the coaching world laughing at the school. The convention was full of guys talking about the situation and the pathetic way it was handled. The school doesn't have the resources to attract top notch kids. The facilities are average, the head coach can only do so much. If VanGorder couldn't convince the kid this was the place with his reputation, how did anyone expect the old guys to do a better job? xazzx

I think coaches do too much for their schools to have fans running the show - whether they are big money boosters or freshman who haven't got a clue about college or football. The GSU Athletic Director commited the administrative sin of letting both determine his staffing direction. I feel for the kids still at the school and for VanGorder. This may have been the worse coaching decision of his career! :splat:

JMU Duke Dog
January 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Any idea where Mortensen will end up in 2006?

nlwwln
January 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Didn't say he "ran him off" - but you must admit that this transfer has been plastered all over the net by GSU faithful who are so high on BVG as the saving grace of Eagle Football. :argue:

The old staff gets shafted for a big name in Van Gorder. Next all everyone hears is about the SEC coaches coming in as assistants. Well - that didn't exactly happen. MTSU, MSU, and WM aren't exactly coaching hotbeds.

Then tons of hype about this D I-A Quarterback is coming to install the "NEW" offense. This doesn't pan out either.

I feel for VanGorder. I think he has gotten into a situation where there are fickle fans, a few boosters with a lot of money to try and run the show, and an AD that wants to big time it but doesn't know how!

Hey - I'm not a big Sewak fan. But this whole situation has the coaching world laughing at the school. The convention was full of guys talking about the situation and the pathetic way it was handled. The school doesn't have the resources to attract top notch kids. The facilities are average, the head coach can only do so much. If VanGorder couldn't convince the kid this was the place with his reputation, how did anyone expect the old guys to do a better job? xazzx

I think coaches do too much for their schools to have fans running the show - whether they are big money boosters or freshman who haven't got a clue about college or football. The GSU Athletic Director commited the administrative sin of letting both determine his staffing direction. I feel for the kids still at the school and for VanGorder. This may have been the worse coaching decision of his career! :splat:

how can you assume all of this after BVG only being the coach for about a month now? Its not his fault mortensen got cold feet and it doesnt mean that he still wont be able to lead GSU to national chmpionships. after all one player does not make up the whole team and you dont even know how good he really was. these kind of things happen to programs all around the country. its better he leave now than rather him stay for spring ball then not return in the fall after they would have had alot more invested in him. good coaches will find a way to make things work and you havnt even given him the benefit of the doubt. GSU is in the running for a national championship every year and that wont change due to some kid who had a change of heart.

gsu_beavis
January 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
can anyone confirm that mort has left the boro?

Baldy
January 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

You all but said he "ran him off". You are right that it has been plastered all over the net by the GSU faithful, but why not? Nobody else in I-AA could land a fish this big.

If you heard anything about "SEC coaches" coming in to Statesboro, it was nothing but wild speculation by our fans...nothing more. So what if a couple of coaches came from MTSU, etc. Aside from the QB Coach/Passing game Coord. from Arkansas, CVG got everyone he wanted. The only person he hired that didn't have VG connections was the lone holdover from Sewak's staff.

There was tons of hype about Mortensen. Again from our fans, so what? He isn't installing the new offense. In case you didn't know, that job belongs to the Head Coach and OC, not the QB. Hmmmmmmm, you think Whitke not taking the job at GSU had any bearing in Mortensen's decision? :rolleyes:

"Pillow talk" at a coaches convention..... :rolleyes:
They might be laughting out one side of their mouth, but it's a pretty safe bet that most of them would give their left nad to be in CVG's position.
Jealousy run amok.

FU97
January 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
You all but said he "ran him off". You are right that it has been plastered all over the net by the GSU faithful, but why not? Nobody else in I-AA could land a fish this big.

Please! Ingle was a much bigger "fish"than Mortensen ever would be. Don't act like GSU is this high and mighty school that no other I-AA school can match.

ChickenMan
January 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hopefully things will work out for Mortensen and GSU... but UD did land a similar 'big fish' last year... Joe Flacco a transfer from Pitt was also a 'Rivals' three star QB and was ranked #39 in the nation in '03. Pitt refused to release Flacco from his scholarship last year and as a result he was ineligible to play in '05... however he was able to practice all season and is expected to be the Hen's QB in '06.

OL FU
January 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM

If you heard anything about "SEC coaches" coming in to Statesboro, it was nothing but wild speculation by our fans...nothing more. So what if a couple of coaches came from MTSU, etc. Aside from the QB Coach/Passing game Coord. from Arkansas, CVG got everyone he wanted. The only person he hired that didn't have VG connections was the lone holdover from Sewak's staff.

There was tons of hype about Mortensen. Again from our fans, so what? He isn't installing the new offense. In case you didn't know, that job belongs to the Head Coach and OC, not the QB. Hmmmmmmm, you think Whitke not taking the job at GSU had any bearing in Mortensen's decision? :rolleyes:

"Pillow talk" at a coaches convention..... :rolleyes:
They might be laughting out one side of their mouth, but it's a pretty safe bet that most of them would give their left nad to be in CVG's position.
Jealousy run amok.

Nobody else in I-AA could land a fish this big. Assuming you are talking about the QB, that is a reach

But on the other hand, I agree one should not blame the coach or AD or the program for a kid changing his mind unless they have some facts behind their argument. There are all types of possibilities for that action

blueballs
January 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM
We interrupt this thread for a TRUTH ALERT.

At this time this is all just wild internet specualtion. Mortensen is enrolled in classes at GSU as of yesterday and there is NO official word either by the program or him regarding his leaving GSU.

We now return you to your regular baseless speculation and rumor mongering...

OL FU
January 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM

At this time this is all just wild internet specualtion. Mortensen is enrolled in classes at GSU as of yesterday and there is NO official word either by the program or him regarding his leaving GSU.

Thanks. We tend to forget that we are not required to verify sources..

Bulldog1
January 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I have personally spoken with someone in Athletics at GSU. Mortensen is gone. If you want call the AD's office and confirm yourself. You will see this is correct. Heck - Here's the number 912-681-5407. Go ahead call - it's your dime. :eyebrow:

Deny all you want, but the GSU faithful have been screaming National Champs since VG was hired. With the help of Mortensen they thought they had it. Hey - it's the kids right to move on. I just think it was a strange turn of events. And honestly, getting some pleasure out of it.

As for "pillow talk" at the convention. You're right, there are a lot of coaches who would love to be VG. HE's got a huge contract and can pretty much call his own shots with the joke of an AD that GS has. He IS the BIG FISH at GS right now. The AD has to kiss his backside to save his own job.

Other coaches think it's a joke because there was a quality staff in place at GS. There are guys on there who sold out for that school. Money doesn't buy that kind of loyalty. Will be an interesting couple of years.

I feel for the players that are in place. They have a lot of potential - just hope the change doesn't undermine all the work they've put into the program so far. Best of luck to the kids!

soweagle
January 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Dang, we are screwed now, we don't have the approval of all the coaches at a convention. Our AD, Sam Baker, better learn to do a straw poll with other teams coaching staff before he fires a coach who gradually turned a program in the wrong direction both on the field and off. He better learn to check with others outside the program before he hires a coach who was the def. coordinator for a strong SEC program, NFL assistant, and won the national assistant coach of the year award while at UGA (sorry can't remember the name of that award right now). What is he thinking?

DemiGS
January 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
One thing is certainly for sure....the events around GSU's program lately sure have exposed a ton of haters. I know the vast majority of posters here are classy - but while lurking lately, one just about can't help but feel like there is a huge contingent of people in I-AA rooting against GSU in a big way. It's kind of sad really.

OL FU
January 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM
One thing is certainly for sure....the events around GSU's program lately sure have exposed a ton of haters. I know the vast majority of posters here are classy - but while lurking lately, one just about can't help but feel like there is a huge contingent of people in I-AA rooting against GSU in a big way. It's kind of sad really.

I don't agree. Yeah there are some but for the most part it is just people speaking their mind on the issues. I only hate GSU one day per year. :nod:

goasu984Life
January 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I want to see it somewhere else before I jump all over him, but I think it's a little shady if Moretenson is gone after being on campus for a day or two. I mean, it is just a little weird that he didn't check out the school before he decided to transfer there.

Of course, in an unrelated story, when I was at Appalachian and working for the Appalachian Sports Network, we were at The Citadel for a football game and talking to a basketball player who was working in the press box, and he said that they recruited a kid for the basketball team who committed to the school for basketball and didn't know that it was a military school, even though all of the stuff says "The Citadel: The Military College of the South." So, I guess it could happen, but it is highly unlikely.

dirtbag
January 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
If this kid had a hair stylist, he'd look exactly like his dad.
http://www.houstonnutt.com/img/s5927e1m8599.jpg

soweagle
January 12th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Is that Mortensen(sp)? I hope that was taken in the 8th grade.

goasu984Life
January 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
It's gotta be. He looks like he is about 14 in that shot.

dirtbag
January 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's gotta be. He looks like he is about 14 in that shot.

That was from HoustonNutt.com.

Here's the one from the official Razorbacks site roster page:

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics25/400/KS/KSKYQHXDODCHZXM.20050901185220.JPG

nick9c
January 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I thought that was Troy Aikman at age 14.

blueballs
January 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Mortensen has indeed left the building. It will be in print tomorrow.

I hope he gets his act together and I wish him well in his life's path.

GSU returns MOL 10 starters on offense and 19 out of 22 on the two deep, they'll be just fine w/o him.

JohnStOnge
January 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I don't know all that much about Mortenson but it's not uncommon to see guys that were big recruits wind up at I-AA schools. I think a number of fish as big or bigger than Mortenson have done it.

What I still don't get is why the GSU community thinks it needed a "savior." I've heard all the stuff about high standards but there's a fine line between "high standards" and "unrealistic."

Hansel
January 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
That was from HoustonNutt.com.

Here's the one from the official Razorbacks site roster page:

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics25/400/KS/KSKYQHXDODCHZXM.20050901185220.JPG
That boy's head is like on orange on a toothpick, like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts, he'll being crying himself to sleep tonight on his HUGE PILLOW

nick9c
January 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I think the big question for GSU is whether Foster or another current QB (Smiley or Griffin) can learn the spread offense in 6 months. Look how long it's taken Vick to learn the Falcons offense and he has a cannon for an arm. I think if Foster had an arm, GSU would be quite successful. QB is still a huge ? given it is such a leadership position.

soweagle
January 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
nick9c,
I think you are correct, the learning curve will be huge plus finding a good arm amongst all those good legs may be tough.

youwouldno
January 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Foster can't run an offense that requires any significant amount of passing. Griffin might be the guy, but he isn't exactly Tom Brady as a passer himself.

ButlerGSU
January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
What's the big deal? The kid wasn't good enough to start at Ark. There was a lot of media around him because of his Dad but let's be honest, if his Dad didn't work for ESPN no one would have made a big deal about this.

We have an awesome QB in Griffen who was redshirted last season and Jayson Foster is back after a great year at QB. We'll be fine.

AppGuy04
January 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
What's the big deal? The kid wasn't good enough to start at Ark. There was a lot of media around him because of his Dad but let's be honest, if his Dad didn't work for ESPN no one would have made a big deal about this.

We have an awesome QB in Griffen who was redshirted last season and Jayson Foster is back after a great year at QB. We'll be fine.

talent wise, yes, but talent can't learn a new offense and run it efficiently in 6 months, i think its gonna be a disappointing year in statesboro, if you make the playoffs, i will be the first to congratulate you on a job well done, but I don't see it happening

ASU Kep
January 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
this hasn't really been addresed yet: why did he leave?

SoCon48
January 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM

We interrupt this thread for a truth alert.

We now return you to reality. See Post #15.

SoCon48
January 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
this hasn't really been addresed yet: why did he leave?
Have you ever been to Statesboro?

AppGuy04
January 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

nlwwln
January 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM
that whole scenario seems pretty odd i mean he was certainly a lock for the starting qb position and if he was thinkin bout transferin to another 1a he'd have to sit out a year and if hes not good enough to start at arkansas i doubt he'd be good enough to start at louisville. just doesnt really make much sense to me but i guess he knows somethin i dont :bang:

Baldy
January 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Please! Ingle was a much bigger "fish"than Mortensen ever would be. Don't act like GSU is this high and mighty school that no other I-AA school can match.
The "fish" I was referring to was VanGorder. Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was in a hurry when I wrote it.

Baldy
January 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Other coaches think it's a joke because there was a quality staff in place at GS. There are guys on there who sold out for that school. Money doesn't buy that kind of loyalty. Will be an interesting couple of years.

The first team meeting with all the coaches and all the players was held on Sunday night. One of the players came out of the meeting and said, "vacation over".
Those two words should shed some light on the situation. I love Sewak, he is a fine person and one hell of a guy, but he lost control of his team....plain and simple. I could give examples, but it's too embarassing, I hope these incidents never see the light of day.

gsugt1
January 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM

It is much better than the hell hole called Goone ... I mean Boone :argue: :lmao:

Maverick
January 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM
More specifics about both places for those of us who have not been to either. Without these details it is just a name-calling contest. Prove your points.

AppGuy04
January 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
The "fish" I was referring to was VanGorder. Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was in a hurry when I wrote it.

maybe I just don't care enough, but I don't see the big deal about this guy

seeker
January 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM
more from the I-AA.org magazine email:

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060112153724335

txstatebobcat
January 12th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Well - maybe VanGorder isn't the 2nd coming for Georgia Southern after all. The much anticipated arrival of his transfer quarterback went south! The kid came to campus, but then left before attending a single class.

GSU may be paying a I-A salary, but the school is no where ready to attract the kids they thought a big name coach would bring in.

I would wait at least till signing day on wether to say that VanGorder can't attract good athletes to GSU.

golionsgo
January 12th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Well if that's the case, Southeastern Louisiana landed two big fish in Hal Mumme and Woody Widenhofer when we brought football back. Both were head coaches in the SEC and Woody has four Super Bowl rings with Pittsburgh. I'd say those were bigger fish than Van Gorder. Now if you come back with the argument that Van Gorder was hotter property and on the way up, while Mumme and Widenhofer were looking to land on their feet after being fired, I would agree completely. But both were bigger fish...just had half the flesh eaten off and big hook stuck in their mouths!! xlolx xlolx

Baldy
January 13th, 2006, 12:16 AM
maybe I just don't care enough, but I don't see the big deal about this guy
Fair enough....

CVG won the Broyles Award in 2003 for the best assistant coach in the NCAA. Past winners include:
2004 Gene Chizik - DC @ Auburn (current DC @ Texas)
2003 Brian VanGorder - DC @ UGAy (current HC @ Georgia Southern)
2002 Norm Chow - OC @ SoCal (current OC for the Titians)
2001 Randy Shannon - DC @ Miami
2000 Mark Mangino - DC @ Oklahoma (current HC @ Kansas - took them to first bowl in eons this season)
1999 Ralph Friedgen - OC @ GA Tech (current HC @ Maryland)
1998 David Cutcliffe - OC @ Tennessee (former HC @ Ole Miss)
1997 Jim Herrmann - DC @ Michigan
1996 Mickey Andrews - DC @ Florida State

What doesn't fit in that list? :eyebrow: xlolx
Coaches who win that award go on to coach at a BCS school or become coaches in the NFL, not HC at a I-AA. It seems as if winning this award is like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card...a free pass to a "big time" job. They don't have to spend their time in purgatory coaching at a lower level school hoping for their big break like many others do.
Given the status and the respect the coaches on that list have, I'd definately say GSU landing CVG was one hell of a coup.

youwouldno
January 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Only if he wins.

Baldy
January 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Well if that's the case, Southeastern Louisiana landed two big fish in Hal Mumme and Woody Widenhofer when we brought football back. Both were head coaches in the SEC and Woody has four Super Bowl rings with Pittsburgh. I'd say those were bigger fish than Van Gorder. Now if you come back with the argument that Van Gorder was hotter property and on the way up, while Mumme and Widenhofer were looking to land on their feet after being fired, I would agree completely. But both were bigger fish...just had half the flesh eaten off and big hook stuck in their mouths!! xlolx xlolx
:lmao:

SoCon48
January 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM
It is much better than the hell hole called Goone ... I mean Boone :argue: :lmao:

In your dreams.

AppGuy04
January 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Fair enough....

CVG won the Broyles Award in 2003 for the best assistant coach in the NCAA. Past winners include:
2004 Gene Chizik - DC @ Auburn (current DC @ Texas)
2003 Brian VanGorder - DC @ UGAy (current HC @ Georgia Southern)
2002 Norm Chow - OC @ SoCal (current OC for the Titians)
2001 Randy Shannon - DC @ Miami
2000 Mark Mangino - DC @ Oklahoma (current HC @ Kansas - took them to first bowl in eons this season)
1999 Ralph Friedgen - OC @ GA Tech (current HC @ Maryland)
1998 David Cutcliffe - OC @ Tennessee (former HC @ Ole Miss)
1997 Jim Herrmann - DC @ Michigan
1996 Mickey Andrews - DC @ Florida State

What doesn't fit in that list? :eyebrow: xlolx
Coaches who win that award go on to coach at a BCS school or become coaches in the NFL, not HC at a I-AA. It seems as if winning this award is like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card...a free pass to a "big time" job. They don't have to spend their time in purgatory coaching at a lower level school hoping for their big break like many others do.
Given the status and the respect the coaches on that list have, I'd definately say GSU landing CVG was one hell of a coup.

thats a nice list, but I'll wait before I start getting on my knees in front of him

soweagle
January 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM
We interrupt this thread for a truth alert.

We now return you to reality. See Post #15.

? Please explain JCline, I'm slow.

AppGuy04
January 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
? Please explain JCline, I'm slow.

the original post said Mortensen was leaving, then a GSUer said that was bull**** and called it "truth" that Mortensen was staying, but come to find out, he was the one that needed the "truth" syrum

soweagle
January 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
He said post # 15 and I posted that post but didn't say anything about Mortensen staying or leaving just arguing with bulldog over firing of Sewak.

Bulldog1
January 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Well you may not like some of what I have to say, but I know a LOT more about what's going on with GSU than most of you. I have very good sources at the school. I won't come on and start any BS. You may not like my opinion - although it is shared by many. However - when I post something you will find it is on TARGET!

For some of you wanting "the truth" - maybe like the famous movie line goes - "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

SoCon48
January 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
He said post # 15 and I posted that post but didn't say anything about Mortensen staying or leaving just arguing with bulldog over firing of Sewak.

Meant post #14.

soweagle
January 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Well you may not like some of what I have to say, but I know a LOT more about what's going on with GSU than most of you. I have very good sources at the school. I won't come on and start any BS. You may not like my opinion - although it is shared by many. However - when I post something you will find it is on TARGET!

For some of you wanting "the truth" - maybe like the famous movie line goes - "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

Maybe you do have some inside connection to GSU, I don't care. While I was shocked that Baker fired Sewak, I wasn't against it (actually surprised Baker had the balls to do it). I could have gone either way on the issue. What I'm glad to know is that Baker is not making these descisions based on the opinions of coaches from other programs.

Baldy
January 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM
the original post said Mortensen was leaving, then a GSUer said that was bull**** and called it "truth" that Mortensen was staying, but come to find out, he was the one that needed the "truth" syrum

Which GSUer are you referring? :eyebrow:

Kill'em
January 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Mortensen went back to Arkansas to fulfill his committment to the Razorbacks. This is the truth. van Gorder said this.

Kill'em
January 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
And Bulldog1, what's the point? Do you hate Georgia Southern that much? If you do then how and why are you so "connected"? I (and I'm not the only one who feels this way) am taking a wait-and-see approach. Most of us realize that we can't judge how we are going to fare with BvG. WE haven't played a game with him as head coach so how can anyone tell how well we'll do?

Bashing Sam Baker was really ignorant. It took a lot of guts to do what he did. You don't think he knew he would take a lot of criticism for this? While I felt firing the whole staff was overboard, changes needed to be made. If you were truly connected you would know about the internal issues within the program.

As for spewing stuff all over the internet, this is how many of us who don't have the inside scoop get our information. The speculation makes the message board more fun during the offseason. If you are tired of reading this info I suggest you quit browsing our board or anywhere else this may be read.

Last, about the crack of "a few Boosters with a lot of money to try and run the show" this happens with almost every school. It certainly is not unique to Georgia Southern.

Bulldog1
January 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Well Kill'em - I've read a great deal of your postings over the months. We probably agree on many issues - but obviously not on Baker.

I do not HATE Georgia Southern, but I am beginning to hate what it has become. I have followed the football program since the early 80's - to include being in attendance at every game for 6 years - to include home and road games all the way to Tacoma and Pocatello. I had to cut back a little after Idaho, but still have attended more than many folks will probably ever attend. I also attend many other sports - BBall (men and women), softball, baseball, soccer, and volleyball.

I do have close ties with several people at GSU and in Statesboro. Some with money, some without. As for a FEW people with money calling the shots - Just don't like to see a few folks railroad a situation - an AD with backbone can handle the pressure without caving. Ask the folks at App St about Jerry Moore - last year some were calling for his head - this year he's the Coach of the Year and has a National Championship!

Here are some of my issues on Baker:

1. He reacts before he thinks.
2. He acts like a total idiot in public. Never have I seen another AD kicking a trash can during a game or storming around a football/baseball stadium quite like he does.
3. He tells half-truths. Not just the typical AD crap, but he gets about as close to lying to your face and I've ever seen. And in a few cases, I do believe that he has flat out lied to us all. Let's see - "We're keeping tradition". But nothing since has shown that he is keeping any tpe of GSU tradition in place.
4. We have 2 legends that are associated with GSU - Jack Stallings and Erk Russell. Neither of them have anything to do with the athletic program under Sam's watch. When you have men who have been as influential in their fields as they have - you nurture the relationship - you don't alienate them! I have personally heard him make negative comments about Coach Erk Russell - sorry, Erk wins out over Sam anyday!
5. His negotiating skills are sub-par at best. (UGA guarantee, lack of ability to get I-A games over the years, etc)
6. He has no clear vision for the athletic program - it's a hit and miss with him. We'll do this if we get funding, blah, blah, blah. If he has a true vision - put it on paper and share it with the boosters, students, etc. Get them excited and move forward.

These are only a few of my issues - and to quote you, I am not the only one who feels this way!

I want what is best for the school and the athletes at Georgia Southern. I don't feel Sam Baker the best interests of either at heart. He tries to put a band aid on things and then moves on to the next fire. Go to the campus and walk around and ask folks about Sam - see what you hear. Prove me wrong. Even some of his former supporters are now against him.

I think the situation with VanGorder is interesting - but don't have anything against him. Do I think he's the greatest thing to hit Statesboro - No. He's a good solid coach, but he's also being given more than any other coach in the history of the school - in terms of money and support.

I don't feel the Sewak situation was handled right. If Baker had any doubts about the situation - don't give him a 3 year extension before the season. Take a wait and see approach or tell him flat out what you expect. Now - look at the money being spent to pay off the extra years. Were there issues to be addressed - YES. There are several things I didn't agree with about Sewak - address those issues! Don't ignore them, then can the entire staff and start from scratch! This has set the program back several years!

Kill'em
January 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
You make good points. Many bother me like why we don't get many I-A games and why we get paid so little compared to other schools. I agree about the firing of the coaching staff. I thought the defensive coaches and special teams coach needed to go but I didn't think the offensive coaches needed to go including Sewak, that is, until I read about the issues within the football program. If it is true Sewak lost control and/or respect of the football program then this was the right move. It sucks that BvG is gutting the offense especially when I feel that Georgia Southern is probably just a step in his career and if he has success here he will leave soon.

I don't like that the big-money boosters have so much control over the program but look at this like a corporation. They own the majority of the stock and they often dictate what the A.D. does. I think some of them are putting a lot of pressure on Sam to win and win big. He might be trying to cover his butt right now. I don't know for sure, it's just an observation.

Maybe I misread you. Sorry, I get very protective over the Eagles. I didn't realize you were actually a fan as well.

HensRock
January 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I think its going to be very difficult for many Georgia Southern fans to set their expectations on a 6-5 season. And I seriously mean that this IS what they should be setting their sights on. Anything more should be considered gravy. This is a massive restructuing project that VanGorder has undertaken. You don't completely scrap an offense and rebuild it in a single season. I wish GSU all the best - I really do, mostly because I like your fans a lot. But I'm very concerned about unrealistic expectations of the fans and maybe Sam Baker as well. I hope you're all ready for a rough ride this season and maybe next as well.

straightshooter
January 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM
BVG was not brought to GSU to ever go 6-5. That will simply not be acceptable to GSU faithful. The 2006 returning team has too much talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball for that to happen regardless of what offense he decides to run.

If that happens, look for an immediate shakeup of some kind after the '06 season. I realize that sounds arrogant, but that's just how the Eagle Nation thinks. It's difficult to achieve excellence unless you live it, believe it and expect it.

blueballs
January 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM

BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I DID say if you care to actually read the post, or is the act of reading beyond an applachian state education, was that there was NO OFFICIAL WORD from either the Mortensen camp or the university AT THE TIME THE POST WAS COMPOSED that he had left.

Again, if reading isn't too tough a task, you will see that later after I had confirmed through a media member that he had left per the university, I wrote that.

Until there was any official word by either party though, it was just a RUMOR.

Get it????? Or is that too tough for you???

blukeys
January 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I think its going to be very difficult for many Georgia Southern fans to set their expectations on a 6-5 season. And I seriously mean that this IS what they should be setting their sights on. Anything more should be considered gravy. This is a massive restructuing project that VanGorder has undertaken. You don't completely scrap an offense and rebuild it in a single season. I wish GSU all the best - I really do, mostly because I like your fans a lot. But I'm very concerned about unrealistic expectations of the fans and maybe Sam Baker as well. I hope you're all ready for a rough ride this season and maybe next as well.

I echo HR. I have seen the talent on GSU squads and it is impressive. GSU wideouts always seem to be 6'4" and running 4.3 40's. However, the switch from a run first offense requires a huge change for all. It is not enough for the QB to be immersed in the new offense. Everyone involved in the offense must learn the new reads. This was never a probelm for GSU wideouts in the past. An option series run required nothing in regards to reading a defensive coverage. You simply blocked the DB or took him deep.

In a passing scheme one has to be on the same page as the QB regarding coverages and from what I saw of the Delaware transition in 2002 this is not a complete project in year one.

I know of no Knowledgeable poster who doubts the athletic ability of GSU football players. The questions come in regarding their ability to develop the new mental skills necessary to run a new offense based on a totally different philosophy. If the So Con is as tough as many adherents claim then this year will be a growing experience for GSU with some pain.

Furman is suffering a big loss with Martin this year so maybe GSU can slip into the top 2 or 3. With a changed offense and a pass defense that had difficulty with everyone, I would look to 2007 as being the year to judge the new coach.

gsugt1
January 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I don't feel the Sewak situation was handled right. If Baker had any doubts about the situation - don't give him a 3 year extension before the season. Take a wait and see approach or tell him flat out what you expect. Now - look at the money being spent to pay off the extra years. Were there issues to be addressed - YES. There are several things I didn't agree with about Sewak - address those issues! Don't ignore them, then can the entire staff and start from scratch! This has set the program back several years!

It is standard operating procedure for Southern Boosters to guarantee the salary for 3 years. The standard university contract is for 1 year only. SB then guarantees it for 3 years. It has always been done that way.Erk, PJ, etc. Would any coach come here with only a 1 year contract ? Trust me I speak the truth or you can call SB and speak with them about it.

fuEMO
January 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I echo HR. I have seen the talent on GSU squads and it is impressive. GSU wideouts always seem to be 6'4" and running 4.3 40's. However, the switch from a run first offense requires a huge change for all. It is not enough for the QB to be immersed in the new offense. Everyone involved in the offense must learn the new reads. This was never a probelm for GSU wideouts in the past. An option series run required nothing in regards to reading a defensive coverage. You simply blocked the DB or took him deep.

In a passing scheme one has to be on the same page as the QB regarding coverages and from what I saw of the Delaware transition in 2002 this is not a complete project in year one.

I know of no Knowledgeable poster who doubts the athletic ability of GSU football players. The questions come in regarding their ability to develop the new mental skills necessary to run a new offense based on a totally different philosophy. If the So Con is as tough as many adherents claim then this year will be a growing experience for GSU with some pain.

Furman is suffering a big loss with Martin this year so maybe GSU can slip into the top 2 or 3. With a changed offense and a pass defense that had difficulty with everyone, I would look to 2007 as being the year to judge the new coach.

blukeys… Martin will be missed but the cupboard is hardly bare. Ingle never… got the hang of the option part of the FU offense. Renaldo Gray will do just fine.

ASU Kep
January 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I DID say if you care to actually read the post, or is the act of reading beyond an applachian state education, was that there was NO OFFICIAL WORD from either the Mortensen camp or the university AT THE TIME THE POST WAS COMPOSED that he had left.

Again, if reading isn't too tough a task, you will see that later after I had confirmed through a media member that he had left per the university, I wrote that.

Until there was any official word by either party though, it was just a RUMOR.

Get it????? Or is that too tough for you???

Dude, you went to Georgia Southern and your trashing App's education? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: . I mean, God that's just funny to me...ya loser.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
LoL, we will find another. I'm sad to see him rescind his offer, but let's be honest: I don't think he would have been the next Richie Williams or even Ingle Martin. Second string at UA?

youwouldno
January 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Well he left because he was third-string, I guess maybe he could move up to 2nd if he played well. Then again, if Mustain goes to Arkansas he'll be 4th string.

blukeys
January 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM
blukeys… Martin will be missed but the cupboard is hardly bare. Ingle never… got the hang of the option part of the FU offense. Renaldo Gray will do just fine.

Well as I said, I think that GSU's talent can still get them in the top 2 or 3 in the SoCon. I am well aware that Furman's cupboard is not bare. They still have Felton and that boy is a LOAD. My view was that Martin gave Furman an added run/pass threat. The top of the SoCon is very close. A one touchdown difference can change a lot of results in GSU, FU, ASU matchups. As for Gray why did Martin start in front of him if he wasn't better??? :)

OL FU
January 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well as I said, I think that GSU's talent can still get them in the top 2 or 3 in the SoCon. I am well aware that Furman's cupboard is not bare. They still have Felton and that boy is a LOAD. My view was that Martin gave Furman an added run/pass threat. The top of the SoCon is very close. A one touchdown difference can change a lot of results in GSU, FU, ASU matchups. As for Gray why did Martin start in front of him if he wasn't better??? :)

I don't think there is any argument as to which one is better. Gray seems to have a strong arm but he is not Martin. Our offense, I think, will be more like the teams of the 80's. Pass 10 -15 times a game and run the option about 40% of the running plays.

I think what will help FU next year is the defense should be much better. Instead having to score over 30 to win ( which we could do) we will probably need 17 to 20 in most games.

Kill'em
January 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I think Furman will be better next year because the defense will be more experienced.

FU97
January 16th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I think Furman will be better next year because the defense will be more experienced.

20 of the 22 on the defensive 2 deep are back next year. Only lose Freeman (big loss) and Duncan. We should be ok at LB as we are very deep there. Had a freshman get a lot of playing time. Jones will be a hoss in the middle for two more years.

I'm a little more worried about replacing Duncan at CB as we have historically been weaker vs the pass than the run.

I'm not too worried about the offense. Grey brings back the option to our offense and with the threat of Felton up the middle, Gipson and Grey will have ample opportunities to make plays on the outside. Grey can throw the ball, but not as good as Martin. That said, the option has a way of opening up the passing game at times.

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM
20 of the 22 on the defensive 2 deep are back next year. Only lose Freeman (big loss) and Duncan. We should be ok at LB as we are very deep there. Had a freshman get a lot of playing time. Jones will be a hoss in the middle for two more years.

I'm a little more worried about replacing Duncan at CB as we have historically been weaker vs the pass than the run.

I'm not too worried about the offense. Grey brings back the option to our offense and with the threat of Felton up the middle, Gipson and Grey will have ample opportunities to make plays on the outside. Grey can throw the ball, but not as good as Martin. That said, the option has a way of opening up the passing game at times.

My concern is the loss of the middle of our O-line.In my opinion one of the best in FU history.

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I hope you are right. If we are not better, I don't see the fall as too large mainly for the reason you mentioned. As I said earlier, we will not have to score 30 to win (most of the time)

FU97
January 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM
My concern is the loss of the middle of our O-line.In my opinion one of the best in FU history.

I think Menochal will be fine at C. Not sure what we have at OG to take over. That said, it seems like every year we worry about some loss on the OL and at the end of it all we seem to be just fine.

OL FU
January 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I think Menochal will be fine at C. Not sure what we have at OG to take over. That said, it seems like every year we worry about some loss on the OL and at the end of it all we seem to be just fine.

That's true but at the start of this year I thought the same about the D. Oh Hell we always are fine on D :eek: :)