PDA

View Full Version : NDSU AD: Must Be Improvement from Bohl

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Wow, did not realize NDSU has only had two losing seasons since 1964. Very impressive run by the Bison!

3-8 will not cut it in Bisonville, figure they'll have a better season this year.

Once a hot commodity, is Craig Bohl now sitting on the hot seat?

Some North Dakota State football boosters would like to think so, especially after watching their beloved Bison suffer through a 3-8 season last fall – only the second losing season the Thundering Herd faithful have had to endure since LBJ was President in 1964.

“That doesn’t sit well with me either,” Bohl said this past week as he began his eighth season as the Bison head coach.

And it doesn’t sit well with Bohl’s boss, athletic director Gene Taylor. But unlike 1996 when legendary Bison coach Rocky Hager was ousted due partly because of a strained relationship with his boss Bob Entzion, don’t expect Taylor to toss aside his loyalty to Bohl – even if this year’s young and somewhat untested Bison would limp to another losing season.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/287226/

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Wow, did not realize NDSU has only had two losing seasons since 1964. Very impressive run by the Bison!

3-8 will not cut it in Bisonville, figure they'll have a better season this year.

Thats why a win against NDSU for us was something very special, because it didn't happen all the time.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
3 in a row (soon to be 4) feels pretty good, too!! xnodx

LakesBison
August 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
1 losing season since 1964 is PATHETIC, never should of had that even. NDSU will not lose to SDSU this year.

89rabbit
August 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
1 losing season since 1964 is PATHETIC, never should of had that even. NDSU will not lose to SDSU this year.

That is what, the forth year in a row that you have said that. xnodx

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM
"But unlike 1996 when legendary Bison coach Rocky Hager was ousted due partly because of a strained relationship with his boss Bob Entzion, don’t expect Taylor to toss aside his loyalty to Bohl – even if this year’s young and somewhat untested Bison would limp to another losing season."

I guess that's why they were trying to get a game with Georgetown this year.

RabidRabbit
August 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I guess that's why they were trying to get a game with Georgetown this year.

Next best choice. Morgan St. gets to enjoy the Hall of Bisonville as the 3rd OOC. USD is also tripping up to Fargo this season.

IMHO, I'd be surprised if Bohl is around next season if they perform as well as they did last year. Based on what I'm reading at Bisonville, and Forum, doesn't appear to be much change to team of last year, and some losses of talent. IMHO, Bison will be hard-pressed to have a winning record in MVFC this season. Should be 2-1 OOC, although 'Yotes could surprise them. Should be another tough year to be a Bison fan. They're not used to losing.

Big Al
August 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
They're not used to losing.

Let's give them some time. xlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
August 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Next best choice. Morgan St. gets to enjoy the Hall of Bisonville as the 3rd OOC. USD is also tripping up to Fargo this season.

IMHO, I'd be surprised if Bohl is around next season if they perform as well as they did last year. Based on what I'm reading at Bisonville, and Forum, doesn't appear to be much change to team of last year, and some losses of talent. IMHO, Bison will be hard-pressed to have a winning record in MVFC this season. Should be 2-1 OOC, although 'Yotes could surprise them. Should be another tough year to be a Bison fan. They're not used to losing.

Problem with that is he has a few more years on his contract so I can't see NDSU buying it out. But with all the off-field problems and the poor records since becoming playoff eligible there could be more pressure for him especially seeing SDSU in the playoffs and if UND goes to the playoffs in 2012 Bohl may have until then to prove himself.

Gil Dobie
August 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
It's going to take a long time to erase almost 50 years of excellence.

darell1976
August 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
It's going to take a long time to erase almost 50 years of excellence.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's I only remember NDSU being at the top and every other team in the NCC trying desperately to knock them off. Teams go through slumps if you are in the MVFC you need to take advantage of it because if they come out of it you could be in a title race.

johnson
August 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM

I think a lot of the season will hinge on how healthy the team will be. NDSU has some talent there but are pretty young. QB's and WR's are better, OL looks decent but lacking depth, TE's are solid as well as the RB's. Defensively the DL has great leader in Gratzek, LB's are more experienced and have some young guys who may be ready to contribute, DB's are a bit of a question yet.

Overall I think this team has/will improve this year. I don't remember a total blow-out last year but a loss is still a loss. I just finished watching the NDSU vs. UNI game from last year and had already forgotten UNI was only up 28-20 with five minutes left in the game. It really goes to show how fast things fell apart last year for NDSU. The game ended 42-27 in favor of UNI.

MinneapolisJack
August 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM

You could also spin it this way.

1964-2001 = No losing seasons
2002-2009 = 2 losing season

Looks like the Bison are on the decline from their greatness since they are capable of putting up 2-9 & 3-8 seasons in the same decade.

All "spin" aside though, NDSU is a very good program that will be back to kickin' butt in a couple seasons. Although I don't see them ever being as dominant as they were in the 80's/90's though. {I should say, I hope they don't become that dominant again.}

JohnStOnge
August 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Here's a spin for you: In 1996 McNeese State went 3-8 and failed to make the playoffs after five straight trips. In 1997 McNeese made it to the I-AA championship game; losing a heartbreaker by 1 point to Youngstown State. Things can turn around very quickly.

Gil Dobie
August 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
FWIW, they have had 3 losing seasons since 1964, 1975 with Ev Kjelbertson, he won back to back conference titles, then went 2-7. He was preceded by Ron Erhardt and followed by Jim Wacker.

Houndawg
August 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM

They've only been in the MVC two years, and it's going to be a deeper conference this year.

Gil Dobie
August 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
They've only been in the MVC two years, and it's going to be a deeper conference this year.

It's only going to be SIU and UNI again as SDSU has a tougher road this year.

johnson
August 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
NDSU bounced back from their 2002 season of 2-9 with a 8-3 season in 2003 including a win at Montana.

JBB
August 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
NDSU has never gone worst to first but this year its on the radar. xhurrayx

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
We'll be better this year. The question is, by how much??

BearsCountry
August 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Illinois State, MSU and Youngstown will have a bigger say in it than people will believe.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Illinois State, MSU and Youngstown will have a bigger say in it than people will believe.

It's up for grabs after 1 & 2.

UNIFanSince1983
August 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM

While I would like to agree with this and do not think we will be as down as some people want to think we are not in the Top 2 this year again. I think SIU and SDSU are the two and then it is pretty up for grabs after that. We just have too many unproven commodities on both offensive and defensive lines. I also think NDSU, Illinois State, Missouri State, and Youngstown will be better this year than last. Illinois State is the real wildcard as they could be really really good.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
While I would like to agree with this and do not think we will be as down as some people want to think we are not in the Top 2 this year again. I think SIU and SDSU are the two and then it is pretty up for grabs after that. We just have too many unproven commodities on both offensive and defensive lines. I also think NDSU, Illinois State, Missouri State, and Youngstown will be better this year than last. Illinois State is the real wildcard as they could be really really good.

I am impressed with Coach Farley, that is why I think his system will keep UNI near the top as long as he is coach.

RabidRabbit
August 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Part of the NDSU D-II success was that they always funded at the full schollie levels available at the D-II level, many of the other NCC schools (including SDSU) didn't, so that it wasn't a "level" playing field. Bison definitely had upper hand, and they used it well. Now they have the same # of schollies as the rest of the MVFC. Now there is more emphasis on great coaching/recruiting success. Bohl needs to demonstrate he has that. First two years, while 1/2 their conference mates were ramping up schollies to 63 (SUU, UC-D, SDSU, UNC), NDSU was fantastic. 3-4 FBS wins, and a 10-9 Gophs loss on a last second FG attempt, plus running rampage on FCS opponents.xbowxxbowx

SDSU has won 3 times in a row for the first time since 63. Always tough to get the win in Fargo!

Houndawg
August 10th, 2010, 02:55 PM
We'll be better this year. The question is, by how much??

It's a deep conference this year, you could be much better and still be 4-7.

Hell, the Jacks could be better than last year and go 6-5.

1) ISU
2) SIU
3) UNI
4) SDSU
5) YSU
6) MSU
7) NDSU
8) WIU
9) ISU

As it was said, so shall it be.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Part of the NDSU D-II success was that they always funded at the full schollie levels available at the D-II level, many of the other NCC schools (including SDSU) didn't, so that it wasn't a "level" playing field. Bison definitely had upper hand, and they used it well. Now they have the same # of schollies as the rest of the MVFC. Now there is more emphasis on great coaching/recruiting success. Bohl needs to demonstrate he has that. First two years, while 1/2 their conference mates were ramping up schollies to 63 (SUU, UC-D, SDSU, UNC), NDSU was fantastic. 3-4 FBS wins, and a 10-9 Gophs loss on a last second FG attempt, plus running rampage on FCS opponents.xbowxxbowx

SDSU has won 3 times in a row for the first time since 63. Always tough to get the win in Fargo!

So you are saying Darrell Mudra, Ron Erhardt and Don Morton were not good coaches? Sure Solomonson won with Morton's recruits. I never did buy the level playing field BS. It's called opportunity, every team had an opportunity to use the max scholarships and NDSU did win 3 championships prior to the DII/I-AA split also.

ps: there are many FCS don't use the max scholarships either.

RabidRabbit
August 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
So you are saying Darrell Mudra, Ron Erhardt and Don Morton were not good coaches? Sure Solomonson won with Morton's recruits. I never did buy the level playing field BS. It's called opportunity, every team had an opportunity to use the max scholarships and NDSU did win 3 championships prior to the DII/I-AA split also.

ps: there are many FCS don't use the max scholarships either.

Obviously they were good coaches, as the Bison won 8 National titles between College Div then D-II. However, if you have 45 schollies that you're using and your opponents are running 24 to 36 schollies, most cases you should have those couple of extra superstars that the opponent doesn't have. Should lead to wins on the field. Bison had the advantage, had good coaches to implement them, and made some outstanding title runs. Only Ga Southern at the D-I level can say the same.

IMHO, Bohl had that in the first two years of D-1. That he suffered through such a tough year last year raised questions about how his own recruiting success works. This year could be very pivotal for Bohl. Will the NDSU allow a coach to have two sub .500 seasons to remain? Or like Ga Southern, release a coach who didn't get them to the play-offs?

Stay tuned, in 3.5 months we'll know.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Obviously they were good coaches, as the Bison won 8 National titles between College Div then D-II. However, if you have 45 schollies that you're using and your opponents are running 24 to 36 schollies, most cases you should have those couple of extra superstars that the opponent doesn't have. Should lead to wins on the field. Bison had the advantage, had good coaches to implement them, and made some outstanding title runs. Only Ga Southern at the D-I level can say the same.

IMHO, Bohl had that in the first two years of D-1. That he suffered through such a tough year last year raised questions about how his own recruiting success works. This year could be very pivotal for Bohl. Will the NDSU allow a coach to have two sub .500 seasons to remain? Or like Ga Southern, release a coach who didn't get them to the play-offs?

Stay tuned, in 3.5 months we'll know.

I think the extra scholarships go more towards depth more than star athletes. Bohl hasn't recruited a Walker or a Mays yet, the jury is still out on his recruiting ability.