PDA

View Full Version : FCS Respect

jhanel
August 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
After years of reading threads and reading 2 line articles on FCS football, I have come to only one conclusion.

If we want the information (we deserve), the coverage (we deserve), and respect (we deserve), someone, with some money (many, many, FCS wealthy alumni out there) needs to start its own TV network that will report on FCS sports, as a whole, ONLY! And do it with a positive light. It sometimes seems that D2 gets more respect than FCS. I guess because they do not play FBS schools. In FBS eyes were are nothing but unwanted step children. (try to say it nicely, hope it worked)

There should be some kind of marketing campaign going on about the FCS National Championship. Billboards in every FCS town or at least University. A national commercial that doesnt look like crap. MAKE FCS AS BIG AS IT IS! Since FBS people dont know crap about FCS or as they say ( Some crappy directional school xflamemadx ) Why dont we do the same thing but use the Playoff angle and talk down to FBS for how you have to BUY a National Championship, not WIN ONE!

Just venting. What does everyone else say?

Jackman
August 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Every full scholarship program should just join the CAA as football-only affiliates. Then we can negotiate a national contract.

jhanel
August 6th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Also wanted to say this, dont care if I get slammed for it:

I just have a hard time believing that all of the successful people that have come from FCS schools would not want to see this. Bear with me hear. I really suck at math, so this could work or blow up in my face. I mean if all of the FCS schools averaged (key word All) 3,000 fans a game and only half would actually watch and support a show about FCS football only, thats (1,500 people) take that and times that by All FCS Universities (I think 124) that equals (186,000) divide that by 2 because some wont give. which is (93,000) If 93,000 fans gave 5 dollars a year for something like this forever. That would be ($465,000) a year.

Now I dont know about you, but I think we could at the very least be able to pay for a webcast that runs an hour long news update three times a day during football season.

I know dick about starting a company to pull something like this off, but I think there are more than 93,000 FCS Football Fans in this country that love FCS football, would love to Watch ANYTHING about FCS football, Would give MONEY to FCS Football, Hell if you want to save the majority of the money to advertise, to get the word out about the show, it still wouldnt hurt an internet webcast's production value all that much. Im sure every school newspaper has a sports writer who would love to have his work broadcasted every week on a webcast. Now maybe everyone can get excited about all the history and the present state of What we as FCS followers love about our football programs and what sets us apart from Bought Championships instead of Earned ones!

*EDIT*
I left one more thing out, I dont know this to be a fact, but Im sure I could say majority and I would be correct.
Does the majority of FCS schools have there own local or University TV channel, maybe not a show, but at least a channel that the University puts all of its advertisements on or there news. Why could the show not be shown on this station? Just wondering?

Maybe Im just being stupid. The coverage of FCS football really starts to piss me off at this time of year. Blue Ribbon or gazzillion magazines with very little if anything worth reading about FCS, and NO COVERAGE on ESPN, EVER, before the season starts.

glsjunior
August 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Its a matter of educating the general sports public about the high level of football at the FCS level. You could argue that the greatest NFL wide receiver (Jerry Rice) and the greatest running back (Walter Payton) both came from FCS programs.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 6th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Its a matter of educating the general sports public about the high level of football at the FCS level. You could argue that the greatest NFL wide receiver (Jerry Rice) and the greatest running back (Walter Payton) both came from FCS programs.

Don't forget the greatest clutch kicker, Adam Vinitieri (SDSU)... haha - just kidding, but seriously...

gophoenix
August 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
After years of reading threads and reading 2 line articles on FCS football, I have come to only one conclusion.

If we want the information (we deserve), the coverage (we deserve), and respect (we deserve), someone, with some money (many, many, FCS wealthy alumni out there) needs to start its own TV network that will report on FCS sports, as a whole, ONLY! And do it with a positive light. It sometimes seems that D2 gets more respect than FCS. I guess because they do not play FBS schools. In FBS eyes were are nothing but unwanted step children. (try to say it nicely, hope it worked)

There should be some kind of marketing campaign going on about the FCS National Championship. Billboards in every FCS town or at least University. A national commercial that doesnt look like crap. MAKE FCS AS BIG AS IT IS! Since FBS people dont know crap about FCS or as they say ( Some crappy directional school xflamemadx ) Why dont we do the same thing but use the Playoff angle and talk down to FBS for how you have to BUY a National Championship, not WIN ONE!

Just venting. What does everyone else say?

There's a big problem with this. Everyone here would really like this, sure. And many fans not here would like it. Outside of that, as long as schools or their fans are clamoring to get to FBS land and dumping on FCS; then there's no real way that marketing is ever going to be able to pitch something like this to make money.

Plus, what happens when a school like App, JSU, JMU and so on moves to FBS? You've instantly lost viewership. And all because those schools have proven that this level is meaningless and FBS is where not only the money is, but the overwhelming general caring from fans is (and yes, we all know certain schools and conferences in FBS has bad fan support and so on)....

gophoenix
August 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
And not only that.... walk around FCS powers and you still see students wearing the FBS school shirts. For instance, awlking around App you constantly see UNC and Duke stuff and to a lesser degree NC State. Walking around Furman you see a lot of Clemson and South Carolina stuff (same at Coastal). Walking around JMU the few times I've been, I see people wearing VT, UVa and WVU stuff. Heck, at Marshall you see people wearing WVU stuff. At Elon, you are bombarder with Maryland, Duke, Rutgers, Syracuse and Ohio State stuff. Heck, friends of mine that are huge supporters of their MAC schools would pull for Ohio State over Kent, Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green and so on.

The fact is.... the money and even fan support is with the FBS schools, even if the heart is at our alma maters.

Longhorn
August 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
That's a pretty darn rare occurance at JMU. JMU students, by overwhelming numbers, proudly wear JMU gear.

gophoenix
August 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
That's a pretty darn rare occurance at JMU. JMU students, by overwhelming numbers, proudly wear JMU gear.

It doesn't seem that rare..... proudly wearing JMU gear doesn't mean you don't have other gear in your closet....

How many students at any of our schools, or directional schools, or MAC schools and so on pull for their school AND and FBS school? Or pull solely for their school?

That's the reason something like this would fail. Most fans of the FCS schools and minor FBS schools are fans of their school plus one of the FBS guys.

jhanel
August 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
gophoenix - what you say is true and the problem. No respect, if FCS feels that they will always be nothing than FCS will always be treated as nothing. People leave for more money, but if schools had a reason to stay and the FCS could just do something to get FCS to a more respectable place, then no one would leave. I know it will always be a constant battle with the BCS and FBS schools, but Im tired of being pissed on and taking it, and everyone that is an FCS fan should too. Something needs to happen, thats why Im bringing this up. Someone must know someone that has the power to do something, more than what is done now!

JMUNJ08
August 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Just have to get the names out there! People love their football packages on Direct TV/ESPN3/etc. Why can't we just get an FCS package? the productions can be SUPER cheap and use local announcers and few camera angles. I would definitely put down the few bucks required for 2-3 national games per week plus the local. So many possibilities with today's technology to get'r done

gophoenix
August 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
gophoenix - what you say is true and the problem. No respect, if FCS feels that they will always be nothing than FCS will always be treated as nothing. People leave for more money, but if schools had a reason to stay and the FCS could just do something to get FCS to a more respectable place, then no one would leave. I know it will always be a constant battle with the BCS and FBS schools, but Im tired of being pissed on and taking it, and everyone that is an FCS fan should too. Something needs to happen, thats why Im bringing this up. Someone must know someone that has the power to do something, more than what is done now!

The issue is something that is always going to exist.
The BCS types piss on everyone else.
The non-BCS FBS types piss on FCS
The Big 6 or 7 FCS types piss on the Pioneer and NEC/Big South
The HBCUs piss on everyone else with their separation
The Ivies piss on everyone else where their bigger separation
FCS pisses on D-II, D-III and NAIA
D-II pisses on D-III
FCS fans demanding change at schools like App, JMU, JSU, and so on say that half the FCS schools don't belong or think the FBS bar should be lowered to just include them

To any fan there is some sort of pecking order. The pecking order is never going to be what we at non-BCS schools want. And what you have to look at is how you react to it. Outside the BCS, FBS schools don't really matter. Sure we all like to see a Boise, ECU, Marshall do good in the few times they get to do good. But, truth is, the BCS guys make the rules and those riding the BCS coat tails will do what they say, screwing anyone not part of the coat tails group in the process.

What will fix it? Nothing really that I see. Where people nationwide care about what Baylor or Texas or Oregon or Wake Forest does; they'll never care about what Akron, App, Elon, Toledo, Buffalo, Kent and so on do nationally.

Longhorn
August 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
That may true enough, at other institutions. But my decades of daily observation on JMU's campus tells me that if the students are fans of an FBS program they don't wear that school's gear in numbers that stand out...except in their rarity.

The Moody1
August 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
For instance, walking around App you constantly see UNC and Duke stuff and to a lesser degree NC State.

This is total BS. You will see some here and there but it is few and far between.

coover
August 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Also wanted to say this, dont care if I get slammed for it: Bear with me hear. I really suck at math,

And grammar, too!

But I really like your zeal and enthusiasm for FCS football, and I think a national cable channel showing several live games a week, along with other recorded games could actually be profitable. In a week (168 hours), the channel could show 56 (or with editing, more) FCS games. Yes, there might not be many viewers at 4:00 AM Sunday morning, but I'd bet that there would be a lot of Video Recorders watching the game.

I don't have the money to finance such a venture, but if I did, it would be done. Good idea jhanel!

coover
August 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
And not only that.... walk around FCS powers and you still see students wearing the FBS school shirts. For instance, awlking around App you constantly see UNC and Duke stuff and to a lesser degree NC State. Walking around Furman you see a lot of Clemson and South Carolina stuff (same at Coastal). Walking around JMU the few times I've been, I see people wearing VT, UVa and WVU stuff. Heck, at Marshall you see people wearing WVU stuff. At Elon, you are bombarder with Maryland, Duke, Rutgers, Syracuse and Ohio State stuff. Heck, friends of mine that are huge supporters of their MAC schools would pull for Ohio State over Kent, Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green and so on.

The fact is.... the money and even fan support is with the FBS schools, even if the heart is at our alma maters.

I am proud to say that if you walk around Cal Poly, you will see lots and lots of Green and Gold Cal Poly San Luis Obispo gear. The students are proud to announce that they attend there. Yes, you will occasionally see the UCLA, USC (So Cal), California gear. but the Cal Poly gear far and away dominates this campus.

SpidersSportsEditor
August 10th, 2010, 09:21 PM
A TV network would obviously be great, but the much more feasible alternative would be a Web site dedicated to streaming FCS games. I don't know much about feeding live video to the Web, but with stuff like UStream and the like, it can't be that hard.

Think about this: an FCS viewing Web site with a small subscription fee (let's say, for argument sake, $25 a year). Instead of using professional announcers, use student broadcasters from each home team and maybe 3-4 cameras. Start up fees would still be high in order to provide the schools with the equipment they need, but it would be much lower cost than a TV network. Yes, listening to rookie student announcers may be annoying at times, but at least you get to see your team play every week. The site owners could sell advertising in the form of banners on the site and commercials during halftime/in between quarters to bulk revenue on top of the subscription fees.

Add to that a weekly, or daily, FCS talk show with professional commentators and you've got something with relative low cost, available across the globe, giving students experience in broadcast and giving alumni and others the chance to see their favorite FCS teams. With success, maybe it leads into a TV deal, but for now I think more realistic sights should be set on the Web.

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 11:38 PM
On NDSU's campus, the dominant school clothing is NDSU. A little bit of Minnesota, a little bit of Nebraska, a little bit of Wisconsin, a little bit of Kansas. Rarely do you see a no-name (UND) shirt worn by some obviously confused student. But it's the same here, the dominant clothing is not Minnesota or Nebraska or whatever BCS power.

T-Dog
August 10th, 2010, 11:52 PM
This is total BS. You will see some here and there but it is few and far between.

It's more during ACC basketball season though as many App football fans are Duke/UNC/NCSU basketball fans.

Keeper
August 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
How about this? I read that Fox College Sports (FCS !) is looking to expand its college football coverage.
Certainly their regional networks can accommodate some FCS action. Talk to your local FOX Sports affiliates.

gophoenix
August 11th, 2010, 06:41 AM

I would like to point you to the MMB and the little "search" feature.

It seems it happens at App more in basketball season. Just like Elon more in basketball season and so on. Just like A&T more in basketball season. It is common. It's ok, it isn't a slight to App. You see it at ECU and UNCC too. It's the problem of being a non-major school, which is the point I am trying to make.

Field Judge
August 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I would like to point you to the MMB and the little "search" feature.

It seems it happens at App more in basketball season. Just like Elon more in basketball season and so on. Just like A&T more in basketball season. It is common. It's ok, it isn't a slight to App. You see it at ECU and UNCC too. It's the problem of being a non-major school, which is the point I am trying to make.

Its not like it used to be 10 years ago when I was in school. It happens at App, I see it, but not everday. But I see your point. The fact that it does indeed happen is not cool.

Retro
August 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
The respect issue is always a problem for many reasons... As someone stated, most divisions don't respect the one below them, be it perception or the knowledge of that division.. That being said i do think the the lack of respect for the FCS is greater in some regards because we are D-I and so many FBS fans and media seem to think otherswise or are brainwashed into thinking that only the FBS or FBS-BCS matters.. With that i believe many FCS fans here do have a respect for D-III, because we have seen it from there side and our side.

TV coverage will never get better unless a dedicated network really gives several weekly games prime time or saturday aftn airtime on a consistent basis with quality HD production and good knowledgable announcers.... Even so, i have seen many new networks or stations come along, start showing some FCS games, like CSTV did, then as soon as they get a deal with a lower tier FBS conference, they squeeze out FCS games.. I realize it's about advertising dollars and ratings and such, but we all know we do have the teams do compete for tv ratings with alumni scattered across the country for all schools of all sizes wanting to see their team play..

Several years ago, TFN (the football network) produced a few games a week for then I-AA and they were shown on some FOX regional stations like Pittsburgh and MASN, and had that network gotten off the ground, they may have been something that would've got our teams some significant airtime....

We just need more FCS teams to pull off more big upsets of FBS teams and that respect and publicity will come..

AppMan
August 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
So the idea is since FCS schools don't get the respect they "deserve" they ought to go out and buy it. This is especially interesting coming from a fan of a school which has barely averaged 8,000 fans per game over the last 5 years. Sorry guys, but respect has to be earned. Not bought or coerced.

PhoenixPhan06
August 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
So many of you have probly seen the ESPN feature by now on the FCS playoff system vs the current FBS bowl system and the 3 ridiculous questions they offer in their poll. The worst of which goes something like this:

"Would you rather in your college career play in three bowl games or in one playoff trip?" Why are they so blatenly disrespecting the FCS playoff system? Of course anyone would rather have three postseason trips of any kind over one!!

And then ESPN goes on to ask in another question if you would rather have a 16 team FCS style playoff or the current bowl system. We here all know that the "FCS Style" playoff is now a 20-team field so I'm pretty disapointed in the Worldwide Leader right now to say the least.

xthumbsdownx xnottalkingx xpissedx

jhanel
August 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM
So the idea is since FCS schools don't get the respect they "deserve" they ought to go out and buy it. This is especially interesting coming from a fan of a school which has barely averaged 8,000 fans per game over the last 5 years. Sorry guys, but respect has to be earned. Not bought or coerced.

Who is this comment directed at?

Redbird Ray
August 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I would love to see FCS grow in popularity and if it did so, as many on here would like to see, you would see FCS retain potential jumper schools like App St, JMU, Montana etc.

For FCS to reach it's full potential, these schools need to stay in FCS, and continue to play at an incredibly high level. In order for FCS football to develop into something the common sports fan would have a passing interest in, FCS football needs powerhouse programs that can be marketed as parallels (in a way) to the FBS powerhouse programs. These programs need bigger stadiums, better recruits, and sustainable winning traditions that are all better than the average FCS team.

Secondly, schools that have the potential to expand the caliber of their programs, such as Illinois State, Missouri State, Texas State, Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Southern Illinois and several others, need to do so not only by winning on a more consistent basis, but also by expanding their facilities to 25-30K seats like JMU, App, JSU, Montana, and others have done or are doing.

But most important is a solid TV deal. I have thought for awhile that FCS should try to team up more with a network like Versus, OLN or I suppose FoxCS to create an all FCS platform. Have an ESPN Gameday-like pregame show, with a day full of FCS highlights, mid-week FCS games for more exposure, and so on.

Ultimately, FCS should be marketed as a level that posses MAC caliber schools, talent, and facilities, but yet still chooses to play in FCS because of somewhat equal exposure and the opportunity to win a national championship.

darell1976
August 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I think the FCS will eventually grow almost to an FBS level. Just look at the teams that moved from D2 to the FCS in the last 10 years. Now almost every state has either a FCS or FBS team. Up here it was either Montana, Nebraska, Minnesota or N. Iowa but now you got 4 FCS teams in the Dakota's filling a big gap in the upper midwest. So respect will come but whether ESPN will give us the respect it deserves we don't know, but I think with more teams in the FCS it is growing but ever so slowly.

jmufan999
August 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
the best thing we can do is win a lot of games against FBS teams.

unfortunately, we lose a HUGE percentage of them. and losing 56-0 looks really, really bad. hoping that FCS will become as popular as FBS (or even remotely close in popularity) is dreaming the impossible dream, i'm afraid. not gonna happen. even worse, if FBS DOES eventually go to a playoff, then we're really done. that's one of the only things we have "over" FBS schools. if they adopt a tourney format, FCS will get even less attention.

Redbird Ray
August 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think anyone has a delusion that FCS can match the popularity of "big time" FBS football. But I certainly think that with the right strategic planning and marketability, FCS can be sold as a version of MAC/Sun Belt football that has a playoff as well as a diverse collection of schools.

I agree about the FBS playoff though. If FBS football ever does go to any form of a playoff, FCS football will continue to be burried in obscurity.

ur2k
August 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Who exactly are you clamoring for respect from?

This thread thread sounds like some high school girl whining who isn't getting attention from the football team QB.

jhanel
August 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Who exactly are you clamoring for respect from?

This thread thread sounds like some high school girl whining who isn't getting attention from the football team QB.

I guess there is plenty of information about FCS football in the market. We never get shot down for being a lesser team on every national broadcast. FBS schools dont want to schedule us because they dont want a loss from a better school. FCS and each conference has their own magazine. Every school has fans excited each and every year about making a run in the playoffs, with students talking around campus about who's in the top 25, how great the team's ranked number 3 and 7 played in one of the greatest top 10 matches ever. Saw so, so on TV the other night and that team looks for real.

The post was for those who want more for FCS. Clearly you dont.

Sincerely,

Whining High School Girl

AppMan
August 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Who is this comment directed at?

Considering you started the thread about FCS not getting any respect I guess you win the prize. "If we want the information (we deserve), the coverage (we deserve), and respect (we deserve),..." It is not my intention to slam your school (I assume Northwestern State since you have their helmet on your profile) or any other FCS school, but to say any school deserves respect, coverage, and information is a tad much. But what do I know. In a world where people demand the "right" to free healthcare, 2 years worth of unemployment checks, free food and free shelter I guess anything goes.

jhanel
August 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Considering you started the thread about FCS not getting any respect I guess you win the prize. "If we want the information (we deserve), the coverage (we deserve), and respect (we deserve),..." It is not my intention to slam your school (I assume Northwestern State since you have their helmet on your profile) or any other FCS school, but to say any school deserves respect, coverage, and information is a tad much. But what do I know. In a world where people demand the "right" to free healthcare, 2 years worth of unemployment checks, free food and free shelter I guess anything goes.

I swear, people just dont get it. This is about FCS not NSU. FCS is ALL shcools. What is it with so many followers of FCS football that they are happy with the way things are. Content with getting information off of a message board. Which is great by the way. Your comment that assumes(free healthcare, unemployment checks, free food) that "I" am or "FCS" is looking for something for nothing is garbage. Has not FCS been pissed on by the Big Networks, and sports media long enough. Do we not field competitive teams and exciting football and NFL players just like the big boys do. Im tired of penuts I want steak, and so should everyone else. This is ALL directed towards FCS NOT just Northwestern State, and yeah our football team may be down at the moment, and our fan support is not what it used to be, but since you came at me with facts, ...have you ever won a game against Northwestern State?

Silenoz
August 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
So many of you have probly seen the ESPN feature by now on the FCS playoff system vs the current FBS bowl system and the 3 ridiculous questions they offer in their poll. The worst of which goes something like this:

"Would you rather in your college career play in three bowl games or in one playoff trip?" Why are they so blatenly disrespecting the FCS playoff system? Of course anyone would rather have three postseason trips of any kind over one!!

And then ESPN goes on to ask in another question if you would rather have a 16 team FCS style playoff or the current bowl system. We here all know that the "FCS Style" playoff is now a 20-team field so I'm pretty disappointed in the Worldwide Leader right now to say the least.

xthumbsdownx xnottalkingx xpissedx

Yeah, that question made absolutely no sense. Do you want this thing, or this super awesome thing? Oh, they all selected the 2nd choice, shocking...

Anyways I was in Missoula the other weekend and noticed my parents had a station through Bresnan that appeared to be dedicated to FCS schools. It don't remember the name (FCS something), but it was one of those ### premium channels, and they had quite a few games they were re-broadcasting (Leigh vs Lafeyette, UNI vs YSU, etc). It's something at least

AppMan
August 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I swear, people just dont get it. This is about FCS not NSU. FCS is ALL shcools. What is it with so many followers of FCS football that they are happy with the way things are. Content with getting information off of a message board. Which is great by the way. Your comment that assumes(free healthcare, unemployment checks, free food) that "I" am or "FCS" is looking for something for nothing is garbage. Has not FCS been pissed on by the Big Networks, and sports media long enough. Do we not field competitive teams and exciting football and NFL players just like the big boys do. Im tired of penuts I want steak, and so should everyone else. This is ALL directed towards FCS NOT just Northwestern State, and yeah our football team may be down at the moment, and our fan support is not what it used to be, but since you came at me with facts, ...have you ever won a game against Northwestern State?

I get it very well. You are the one who is not seeing the entire picture. Whining about FCS not getting the respect it "deserves" and buying time on a network will solve the problem is just foolish. Once again, respect is earned, not simply given. Just because FCS teams play competitive ball and send a few guys to the pros most years isn’t enough to get respect. Heck, D-II team’s can say they do that.
Let’s say you are selling FCS football to a network executive and he asks you the question: What exactly has FCS football done to deserve all this air time and publicity you are demanding from my network? Do you point out landmark wins, packed stadiums, great rivalries and games that appeal to a broad regional market to him? Or, do you think simply telling him the games are competitive and FCS sends a handful of players to the professional ranks each year will convince him? Whether you and I enjoy FCS games doesn’t warrant media exposure. The media folks want to know if common fan Joe will tune in to see the FCS game of the week with LSU / Florida on the other channel. You simply must look at it from a business standpoint and take the emotional attachment out of it.
I only used NW State as an example because you were the one doing the complaining. You claim the division your school plays in deserves respect and attention. Yet your own school can barely get 8,000 people to show up on a weekly basis and watch their team play. From where I'm sitting that isn't a very strong bargaining position to “demand” much of anything. Before fans at FCS schools begin "demanding" respect, they need to get their own house in order and begin EARNING it.
Just because ASU has not beaten NW State has nothing to do with it. Once again, get the emotion out of the way and take a long, hard look at the big picture. The last time our two schools played the programs were pretty much on par with NW State having the advantage. That isn't the case today. Over the past five years the Demons averaged just over 8,000 per game, ASU well over 26,000. NW State's facilities are basically the same as when ASU took the field down there in 1998, ASU's facilities are now considered to be on par with the best in the nation. NW State has won zero national championships, ASU three. I could go on, but you get the idea. In no way is this intended as a slam on NW State. It is simply a way of pointing out differences in programs within the FCS. Before one begins demanding respect they better be able to stand on some major accomplishments. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of FCS programs cannot.

OrygunBison
August 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Don't forget the greatest clutch kicker, Adam Vinitieri (SDSU)... haha - just kidding, but seriously...

AV came from some loser DII school.

jhanel
August 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
You can say the same thing for FBS schools outside of the top 30 outside the top 45 same with fans, what have you done. You dont want better coverage of any kind, I get it and that is your opinion. Cool. FCS needs MORE coverage and RESPECT from the major networks and publications. Period! From the sorry NSU football guy whos University has never earned anything. And by the way last time NSU beat App State was 2004 40-35.

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2010, 08:46 AM
To be totally frank boss...FCS doesnt NEED anything...I mean would it be great if FCS got more media exposure? Absolutely...but we dont NEED it...its not like if we arent leading College Football Live or Sportscenter and getting articles in SI and ESPN the Magazine and Sporting News that we are doomed to fade into obscurity and that ADs at LU and Appalachian State and McNeese and SE LA are wringing their hands going "OMG we gotta figure out a way to get on the major networks or in the major magazines or no one will know who we are!!!"

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM
And as a followup...respect isnt given like candy...its earned

jhanel
August 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM
FCS has not earned any respect. We suck as a division we deserve the inaccurate information that is always posted about us and the way the National Media sees FCS. Im glad we are all happy with what FCS has earned. I guess if I was an App State poster, or Montana Poster I would be able to use the word respect and FCS in the same sentence, and know that it was not about my own personal school. thanks

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Now hold up...no one is saying that we "suck" as a division...(well except you and your rather unnecessary histrionics). Everyone who is a fan of FCS football would like to see it as a major contributor to SportsCenter and College Football Live and would like to see FCS earn greater respect in college football circles...but just walking up to someone at a major network and saying "we want better coverage and more information and accurate information..." They are going to want something tangible to justify that sort of an investment. It doesnt matter what your school is, whether its Montana, App State, Weber State, Northwestern State, Grambling State, McNeese State, Liberty, Delaware or whoever...as they say in High School Musical, "We're all in this together"

AppMan
August 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
You can say the same thing for FBS schools outside of the top 30 outside the top 45 same with fans, what have you done. You dont want better coverage of any kind, I get it and that is your opinion. Cool. FCS needs MORE coverage and RESPECT from the major networks and publications. Period! From the sorry NSU football guy whos University has never earned anything. And by the way last time NSU beat App State was 2004 40-35.

You assume much and put a lot of words in my mouth. Your reaction is typical of many FCS fans in that you take everything personal. Take a step back, get the emotion out of your head and look at the situation from a rational business decision point of view. If you look at it from that standpoint there is no way you can demand respect from the national media. Several of the preseason mags which once covered 1-AA / FCS sollicited their readers as to what they should cover. I personally responded to the polls. Well, the lack of FCS coverage today should be a clear indication of how they voted. As a whole the FCS hasn't done much to garner the type of coverage, attention, and rerspect you say it deserves. As an FYI, 1-AA had its shot at a weekly national telecast back in the 80's with the start of ESPN's Thursday night college football. The 1-AA games were soon dropped due to poor ratings.

BTW, as a supporter of a FCS team it is idiotic of you to say I do not want more coverage of the division. Also, I know when our schools last played, I simply timelined my points from 1998 to indicate the differences in the two programs during that time frame. ONCE AGAIN, if you want respect go out an earn it.

jhanel
August 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I will