PDA

View Full Version : Grambling AD's Plea to 'Just Show Up'

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Grambling's AD is asking fans to show up and by doing so, it will help the program stay afloat.

He mentions FBS games, but there's a bogus quote from the writer, who states that the games typically result in blowouts and/or "season-altering injuries". Give me a break, that's never been proven...

Either way, financial implications are tough in Louisiana as we've mentioned before...

As Grambling works through budget cuts in tough economic times, Athletics Director J. Lin Dawson said there's a very simple way for fans to help the Tigers stay afloat: show up.

Dawson said Grambling misses out on thousands of dollars in revenue for home football games at Robinson Stadium and neutral-site "classic" games when attendance falls short of projections. Bad weather or lackluster opponents often cause GSU fans to skip games and stay at home.

"If we have to budget based on weather, if we have to budget based on who we're playing, that's very difficult to do," Dawson said during an address to alumni at the Monroe Civic Center on Thursday. "Not to offend anyone, but our revenues are impacted if the weather is bad, because you (women) aren't going to get your hair wet.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20100803/SPORTS/8030317/1122/GSU/Grambling-s-Dawson--Please--show-up

Bogus Megapardus
August 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
I have to wonder if a game against a "traditional" northeastern opponent would create any kind of draw at Grambling. Given the near-mythical lore of Coach Robinson at least here in the northeast IMHO it might be worthwhile. Wouldn't Grambling v. Fordham, for example, be something to witness in northwestern Louisiana, or even Grambling v. Yale?

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2010, 07:03 AM
The SWAC fans have said they would love a Legacy Bowl match-up against the Ivy League. Perhaps they'd be just as open to a regular-season game. I think it would be a neat and very unique match-up...

Not sure if it would draw successfully on other end, but still...