PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley/Summit Football Merger?.....

bincitysioux
August 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
MVFC to cooperate with Summit League football study
(http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=84234)

“It’s not secret that the Summit conference recently announced its intention to study football," Viverito said. "Given that three Missouri Valley Football Conference teams are also members of the Summit conference, it’s important that this study be conducted cooperatively and transparently.

“I can assure you that Summit commissioner Tom Douple and I have pledged to do exactly that. We expect to study a variety of membership models and formats over the next few months, which will include short-term and long-term options.”

Some are speculating that this could ultimately lead to a two division MVFC.......

bincitysioux
August 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Grand Forks Herald (http://www.areavoices.com/gfsports/)

When asked by Sioux Falls Argus Leader writer Terry Vandrovec whether the league was considering a merger with Summit football, Viverito had this to say:

"Nothing's off the table," she said. "I can assure you, Tom Douple and I and also Doug Fullerton of the Big Sky Conference have had open and frank discussions about what's best for FCS football. It's imporatant all teams feel that they have viable access to postseason, and we want to be part of that solution. Some teams aren't in that position."

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Interesting...

I am not surprised that the MVFC is cooperating. They are out to protect themselves as an entity and it is better to be involved in the 'study' than to be blind-sided, especially when there is plenty at stake.

89rabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100803/SPORTS/8030318/1002/sports

Football shuffle in the works?
Missouri Valley works with Summit to explore options

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • August 3, 2010

The Missouri Valley Football Conference held its annual media day Monday, and for the first time in 25 years it wasn't an in-person event.

But that's not to say it was uneventful.

Near the end of the two-hour teleconference, commissioner Patty Viverito revealed that the nine-team conference is cooperating with the Summit League in its study on whether the Summit should sponsor football. Viverito said she has also discussed the state of the Football Championship Subdivision in this part of the country with Big Sky Conference commissioner Doug Fullerton. . . . (read more)

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Here is my opinion if the merge goes through (since they are talking to the Big Sky) Cal Poly and UC Davis to the BSC and UND, USD, and SUU to the MVFC. That would give both conferences an even number however SUU would be the team furthest away from the other teams. But IMO this is great news for UND!!!!

Gil Dobie
August 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Could actually have 2 divisions, Great West and Missouri Valley, 7 teams each.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Could actually have 2 divisions, Great West and Missouri Valley, 7 teams each.

GW Division

UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
SUU
CP
UCD

MV Division

UNI
SIU
IL St
WIU
ISU
MSU
YSU

Redbird Ray
August 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Unless the Missouri Valley ever gets serious about going to FBS as a league (highly doubtful now) then I think the Valley should just remove its name from whatever format this future conference may have. As of now, only half of the teams in the league play in the actual MVC, and it appears with UND and USD all but locked in with this future expansion, that MVC schools will be in the minority.

I am ok with all of this, and I actually like the prospect of having two divisions and maybe a conference championship game. I just think it's time for the Valley to take the road of the A-10 and just realize what it is, a top ten bball conference with other solid mid-major athletics that just has too many private schools to be considered a legit football conference.

I don't think Patty V is talking about a 16 team superconference. I doubt she has that much economical foresight, and besides, I think the superconference team really only means anything when you are talking about the mega-bucks that can be generated through TV revenues at the BCS level.

I tend to think this is about the MVFC and Big Sky (perhaps minus Montana) wanting to expand to 12 teams to give the CAA some bid competition, and thus, each conference taking some Great West members. UND and USD to the MVFC, and Cal Poly, UC-Davis, SUU, and UNC to the BSky.

If this is the case, I would be willing to bet that instead of taking SUU to the MVFC, Patty V is more thinking of trying to lure an EIU, Drake, Valpo, Butler, Dayton or SEMO away from their leagues. Although I realize some of these teams would have to make huge scholarship gains if this were true.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
GW Division

UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
SUU
CP
UCD

MV Division

UNI
SIU
IL St
WIU
ISU
MSU
YSU

14 teams is WAYYYY to many....how would you ever crown a champion if all teams don't play each other?xwhistlex

UNH Fanboi
August 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
[URL="http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=84234"]
Some are speculating that this could ultimately lead to a two division MVFC.......

Well, we all know that having two divisions and no full round-robin schedule is "unfair" and magically inflates a conference's strength. xrolleyesx

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
What if NDSU and SDSU got kicked out of the MVFC and sent back to the GWFC....7 teams each.

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
1) NOBODY is GETTING KICKED OUT of any league.

2) Combining/reformatting the three leagues in play here, MVFC, GWFC, & Big Sky makes sense. There are just enough teams to make 3, 7 to 9 member football leagues.

3) There are not many (any?) west of the MS R. private schools playing football that would be ready to join.

4) There are no legitimate reasons that the CA schools are going to give up their all CA conference for other sports, just to have the football conference. The expenses are unwarranted.

5) WIU/SDSU/NDSU will not volunteeringly leave an auto-bid conference to move to non-auto-bid (for a mininum of two years) Summit conference.

6) The GWFC needs two members to be full auto-bid conference.

Therefore, look for a solution that will bring the 5 GWFC schools into an auto-bid conference (that's why the MVFC extended invitations to SDSU/NDSU, which were immediately accepted). The fastest way to make this happen is for the MVFC to basically absorb the GWFC, and split to the two divisions above. Ultimately, SUU makes too much sense to not be in the Big Sky. By 2020, look for the CA football schools (Sac St./ Poly/ UC-Davis/ (Humbolt?) to be in a football conference with the 4 Dakota schools, Big Sky swaps in SUU for Sac St. Whether WIU stays Summit, or rolls to MVC is up for debate.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
1) NOBODY is GETTING KICKED OUT of any league.

2) Combining/reformatting the three leagues in play here, MVFC, GWFC, & Big Sky makes sense. There are just enough teams to make 3, 7 to 9 member football leagues.

3) There are not many (any?) west of the MS R. private schools playing football that would be ready to join.

4) There are no legitimate reasons that the CA schools are going to give up their all CA conference for other sports, just to have the football conference. The expenses are unwarranted.

5) WIU/SDSU/NDSU will not volunteeringly leave an auto-bid conference to move to non-auto-bid (for a mininum of two years) Summit conference.

6) The GWFC needs two members to be full auto-bid conference.

Therefore, look for a solution that will bring the 5 GWFC schools into an auto-bid conference (that's why the MVFC extended invitations to SDSU/NDSU, which were immediately accepted). The fastest way to make this happen is for the MVFC to basically absorb the GWFC, and split to the two divisions above. Ultimately, SUU makes too much sense to not be in the Big Sky. By 2020, look for the CA football schools (Sac St./ Poly/ UC-Davis/ (Humbolt?) to be in a football conference with the 4 Dakota schools, Big Sky swaps in SUU for Sac St. Whether WIU stays Summit, or rolls to MVC is up for debate.

It may be a lot sooner than that. The results of the study will be announced next year.

Redbird Ray
August 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Why would the Dakota schools align with the CA schools? It seems as though the current structure of the MVFC is much more geographically friendly to the Dakotas than playing with the Cali schools would be.

And I'm thinking if Cal Poly, UC-Davis and SUU joined the Big Sky it would be on a football only basis. No need for Poly and Davis to leave their nice Big West conference.

WIU is not getting an MVC invite, ever.

This could just be me, but it seems the articles were more about having a 12 team Big Sky and 12 team MVFC. If this is the case, the Dakotas are staying put in the Valley. The question just becomes who will be #12? The MVFC would probably have to steal a public school from the OVC or just bite the bullet and take SUU.

89rabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Why would the Dakota schools align with the CA schools? It seems as though the current structure of the MVFC is much more geographically friendly to the Dakotas than playing with the Cali schools would be.

And I'm thinking if Cal Poly, UC-Davis and SUU joined the Big Sky it would be on a football only basis. No need for Poly and Davis to leave their nice Big West conference.

This could just be me, but it seems the articles were more about having a 12 team Big Sky and 12 team MVFC. If this is the case, the Dakotas are staying put in the Valley. The question just becomes who will be #12? The MVFC would probably have to steal a public school from the OVC or just bite the bullet and take SUU.

Agreed, and to be honest this is far far from a done thing. It could take years, if it ever happens. The member schools are looking at the "if this happens, then whats".

89rabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
From the Fargo paper:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/286761/

. . . “So I don’t think anybody is talking about what this landscape is going to look like tomorrow or even next season or even a couple seasons from now, but more to look at more what the landscape can and might look like really long-term,” Viverito said. . . .

BearsCountry
August 3rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
If this goes down we better be on our way to CUSA or the Sun Belt.

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
If this goes down we better be on our way to CUSA or the Sun Belt.

What makes Mo St substantially different from the 4 Dakotas and the rest of the MVFC schools? Size school is about the same, most of the same sports. This is for football only, not a combined Summit/ MoValley all sports conference.

MSUBear42
August 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
What makes Mo St substantially different from the 4 Dakotas and the rest of the MVFC schools? Size school is about the same, most of the same sports. This is for football only, not a combined Summit/ MoValley all sports conference.
Uhhhh, what????

MSU's enrollment is topping 25,000 this year for the first time ever.

NDSU:
SDSU:

It just isn't going to happen, we WILL NEVER play in a league with those schools.

BearsCountry
August 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
We already have the two best Dakota schools, we don't need the other 2 Dakotas or Southern Utah or the two California schools.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
We already have the two best Dakota schools, we don't need the other 2 Dakotas or Southern Utah or the two California schools.

I would like to claim responsibility for turning BC against UND (and USD it appears).

For no other reason than disliking me, does he protest opposition to the other two Dakota flagships joining his conference.

Bottom line: if two Dakota flagships are good for the conference, there is no possible argument against adding the other two.

dmksioux
August 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM

Boy...you're just asking for trouble with this comment...

JBB
August 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Right now Boise State and Idaho are having problems. Boise state has expressed a concern about Idaho and it looks like the rivalry may be coming to an end. Its a situation some of the existing member schools may find themselves in with some outsiders looking for big changes. None of this is a lock but Viverito has also said the conferences are meeting to visualize a sustainable future and contain costs. That could be the harbinger of some big change.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Uhhhh, what????

MSU's enrollment is topping 25,000 this year for the first time ever.

NDSU:
SDSU:

It just isn't going to happen, we WILL NEVER play in a league with those schools.

NDSU will surpass 15,000 students this year. MoSU is the largest school in the MWFC, but NDSU tops the conference in football budget, fundraising and average attendance. We're all in the same boat in the MWFC one way or another (with the possible exception of ISU blue).

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
How many grad students does MSU have?

Houndawg
August 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
14 teams is WAYYYY to many....how would you ever crown a champion if all teams don't play each other?xwhistlex

In the FCS we like to brag that we settle it on the field.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM

Scared of us??

darell1976
August 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM

Could #10 and #11 be UND and USD and #12 come from a different conference in the FCS? I see SUU and the Cali teams going to the BSC.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Scared of us??

Hey, he was right about the "two best Dakota schools"...

:D

FargoBison
August 3rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
I can tell you right now that NDSU has zero interest in being in a league or a division of a conference that includes SUU, UCD, and Cal Poly. It has nothing to do with those schools but instead it has everything to do with being very happy with where we are at.

If we wanted that we would have stayed in the GWFC, but being in a midwestern league makes so much more sense for NDSU. I really do hope that those schools can find a western home.

bincitysioux
August 4th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I also feel that the MVFC should consider adding the flagship schools from the Dakotas in the future. They already have our to major commuter schools..............

JBB
August 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Obviously when the MVFC and the Summit for that matter need a member as bad as the member needs them something will happen.

I dont see any advantages. Right now the big adavantage being talked about is expanded playoff bids for the conference. I really dont think thats a major driver unless there is something Im missing.

There are some obviously desperate schools out there trying to find a way out of scheduling binds. The scheduling is costing a fortune. When you are obviously desperate as some of these independents are the value of the conference membership should be reflected in the conference admittance fee. High, high and higher.

To, no wait, two schools from the Dakotas are already in. The Dakotas are represented well by the current members.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I also feel that the MVFC should consider adding the flagship schools from the Dakotas in the future. They already have our to major commuter schools..............

Its cute that the little schools in each Dakota think they are flagships. xlolx

UXD =
http://www.kickemuitriver.org/photofolder/early_morning_rowboat.full.jpg

XDSU =
http://www.learnheapsabout.com/bjornwalker/aircraft%20carrier2.jpg

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Its cute that the little schools in each Dakota think they are flagships. xlolx

UXD =
http://www.kickemuitriver.org/photofolder/early_morning_rowboat.full.jpg

XDSU =
http://www.learnheapsabout.com/bjornwalker/aircraft%20carrier2.jpg

Why do you think you are so high and mighty...I believe USD has more national title trips than SDSU....1 to zero. As for us and NDSU well this isn't a smack thread.

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I can tell you right now that NDSU has zero interest in being in a league or a division of a conference that includes SUU, UCD, and Cal Poly. It has nothing to do with those schools but instead it has everything to do with being very happy with where we are at.

If we wanted that we would have stayed in the GWFC, but being in a midwestern league makes so much more sense for NDSU. I really do hope that those schools can find a western home.

That is why I hope they go to the Big Sky and us and USD go to the MVFC. Could you imagine a trip from Davis to Youngstown.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Why do you think you are so high and mighty...I believe USD has more national title trips than SDSU....1 to zero. As for us and NDSU well this isn't a smack thread.

D-II reference from 1985, really? xnonono2x

By the way we finished #11 last season in FCS. How did you guys do?

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM

We played for a conference title....its the highest we can go til 2012. So you could say we had the same playoff wins....ZERO!!

BTW it was 1986 that NDSU played USD for a national title, but at least they got there. We can tell you what its like. xlolx

Redbird Ray
August 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
So if UND and USD are teams 10 and 11 in the new MVFC/Summit Football Conference, then who is team 12?

SUU - I kind of hope not
EIU - Would like this, but I think they are too complacent in the less competitive OVC
SEMO - Not a huge boost from a competition standpoint, but geographically viable
UTM - A little more competitive than SEMO, stadium could use a few more seats
EKU - Awesome stadium, reasonably competitive team, a more eastern team for YSU
EMU - Long shot, but I think the MAC is getting fed up with their performance/attendance issues
Drake/Butler/Dayton/Valpo - if any of these teams could commit to full schollies, they would make sense, they could all be potential MVC candidates someday as well

I think any of the OVC teams could become football only members in our newly expanded conference, while playing in the Summit or Horizon for other sports.

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
So if UND and USD are teams 10 and 11 in the new MVFC/Summit Football Conference, then who is team 12?

SUU - I kind of hope not
EIU - Would like this, but I think they are too complacent in the less competitive OVC
SEMO - Not a huge boost from a competition standpoint, but geographically viable
EMU - Long shot, but I think the MAC is getting fed up with their performance/attendance issues
Drake/Butler/Dayton/Valpo - if any of these teams could commit to full schollies, they would make sense, they could all be potential MVC candidates someday as well

I think any of the OVC teams could become football only members in our newly expanded conference, while playing in the Summit or Horizon for other sports.

As mentioned prior, invite Nebraska Omaha to move up.

RabidRabbit
August 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Yes, the old NCC powers reunite. I-29 league. Fills gap between USD/UMKC, competitive programs in most of their offerings. I believe that the UNO has Wrestling and baseball also, so attractive to the Western Wrestling Association also. Baseball is the prime Spring sport in the Summit.

SO ILLmatic
August 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM

It seems that way. For the two money sports last year - 5,000 avg. in football & 1,000 avg in men's bball. The MAC would want them out completely if they the Eagles their walking papers[even though they would be stuck with 11 full time members & 12 for football], and EMU would want to be a full member in the MVC.

Not happening. And let's face it, they would be a middle of the pack team in the MVFC this year.

The divisions naturally would resemble this: the old NCC divison.
-NDSU -SDSU -UNI -USD -UND -UNO
Gateway Division
-SIU -WIU -IL St -Ind St -Mo St -YSU

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM

I agree.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
It seems that way. For the two money sports last year - 5,000 avg. in football & 1,000 avg in men's bball. The MAC would want them out completely if they the Eagles their walking papers[even though they would be stuck with 11 full time members & 12 for football], and EMU would want to be a full member in the MVC.

Not happening. And let's face it, they would be a middle of the pack team in the MVFC this year.

The divisions naturally would resemble this: the old NCC divison.
-NDSU -SDSU -UNI -USD -UND -UNO
Gateway Division
-SIU -WIU -IL St -Ind St -Mo St -YSU

Eh. Although UNI could be guaranteed a playoff spot every year, would they really be so quick to separate themselves from SIU and WIU?

And I don't buy that Cal Poly and Davis would jump to the Summit so quickly. They have a lot of options still: the WAC may choose them to jump to FBS, or they could be poached by the Big Sky (along with SUU) should Montana and Montana State go FBS. That makes a lot more sense.

And while I see UNO as a possibility, isn't Wichita State another one?

This "takeover" seems predicated on the idea that UND and NDSU (and, to a lesser extent, USD and SDSU) want to remain in different conferences in all other sports but want to band together for football games for geography purposes. What's also interesting is if this sort of idea carries over to other conferences like the Big Sky and GWFC, who could also benefit from such an arrangement.

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Eh. Although UNI could be guaranteed a playoff spot every year, would they really be so quick to separate themselves from SIU and WIU?

And I don't buy that Cal Poly and Davis would jump to the Summit so quickly. They have a lot of options still: the WAC may choose them to jump to FBS, or they could be poached by the Big Sky (along with SUU) should Montana and Montana State go FBS. That makes a lot more sense.

This "takeover" seems predicated on the idea that UND and NDSU (and, to a lesser extent, USD and SDSU) want to remain in different conferences in all other sports but want to band together for football games for geography purposes. What's also interesting is if this sort of idea carries over to other conferences like the Big Sky and GWFC, who could also benefit from such an arrangement.

UND is on the verge to getting accepted into the Summit League. They are getting a visit from the Summit later this year and should be accepted.

RabidRabbit
August 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM

UND will shortly be getting an invite to join the Summit League for the other than football (and hockey) sports. This will reunite the 3 Dakota schools in the Summit. Come 2012, there will be 6 Summit football playing schools. WIU, 4 Dakotas, and SUU. Half play in the GWFC (with the 2 Big West schools playing football), and the Other half in the MVFC.

The Summit desperately wants SUU to get piicked up by the Big Sky. SUU wants to be in the Big Sky. Then Summit football is down to 5 teams. Also no autobid for a minimum of 2 years.

Between the MVFC, Big Sky, and GWFC, there are 23 teams. This is enough for 2 8-team leagues and 1 7-team league, or 2 11 or 12 member leagues. The CAA has shown that 12 team leagues can be successful in garnering multiple bids to the play-offs. The Summit commissioner is pursuing what options exist for the 3 schools who are eligible that are not in an auto-bid football conference.

The ideal situation is for the Big Sky to cave on the football only situation for the two CA schools, and bring SUU on as a full member. Then, have the MVFC/Summit combine, and find one more member. Finally, no team is left out of an auto-bid conference. Except for those conferencess that choose no play-offs.

Redbird Ray
August 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Has Nebraska-Omaha ever mentioned moving up to D1? I'm not too familiar with their situation. Is their football team at the D2 level decent? It looks like a nice urban school, with pretty good facilities. I have always liked their mascot as well (for whatever that's worth).

UNO seems like a natural fit in the all of the sudden Northern Plains centric Summit League.

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Has Nebraska-Omaha ever mentioned moving up to D1? I'm not too familiar with their situation. Is their football team at the D2 level decent? It looks like a nice urban school, with pretty good facilities. I have always liked their mascot as well (for whatever that's worth).

UNO seems like a natural fit in the all of the sudden Northern Plains centric Summit League.

UNO is ranked 21 in the preseason D2 poll. They have had a good football program. The only team to beat UND during our National Championship season of 2001. Their AD is former Cornhusker standout Trev Alberts. So I think with him as AD and with hockey really taking off they should take a serious look at making all their teams D1.

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Sorry about the double reply...just found this on the net about U of Nebraska-Omaha

This was taken from a UNO message board. http://www.omaha.com/article/20090822/SPORTS/708229868 (Link no longer works it was from Aug 22, 2009.

UNO opens the season on Thursday against East Central University. Could you envision a time when UNO opens at Iowa or Kansas State or even Nebraska? Would you believe Maverick football rejoining old rivals North Dakota and South Dakota up in Division I-AA?

“Not only have I thought about it, it was the first thing I thought about when I walked in the door,’’ Alberts said.

Alberts does not have a timetable. The decision won’t be his to make. But he is convinced a University of Nebraska at Omaha move to Division I-AA for football and Division I-A for all other sports is inevitable.

“I do not speak on behalf of anybody but myself,’’ Alberts said. “It is my personal opinion that ultimately that will happen. When that time comes, I don’t know. But if our goal is excellence, it needs to happen.’’

Alberts said he has spoken to Chancellor John Christensen about Division I and said, “The chancellor and I are completely on the same page. We are searching for ways to make athletics not a burden but something that enhances the university.’’

MplsBison
August 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Don't you love it now that SDSU has a new videoboard, end zone facility and a few winning seasons that they think they should be considered royalty in NCAA football and that all tradition and history from the bad, old days of DII can simply be tossed out the window?

Please, let us all know when SDSU's football program has done something that would actually be written down as relevant in the NCAA football history books.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I agree with everyone who has said that UNO would be an ideal target.

As long as they can and are willing to put the money into their program and facilities (and no, buying some carpet for an unused office in a basement as a new football office does not count as investing in facilities), I think they'd be a great fit.

But Grand Valley would too, if they'd consider leaving DII.

johnson
August 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM

UNO would hold their own if/when they do move up. I do believe that they had some major financial hurdles to clear before the move could be made. A couple of years ago they were even talking about possibly dropping football to ease budget problems. I'm not sure if things have improved to the point where they can make a move up yet.

Redbird Ray
August 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
It's kind of funny, I can remember Trev Alberts being on ESPN a few years back, complaining about LSU's schedule saying something about all of the schools with hyphens in their names on LSU's non-conf schedule.

Now, he is an AD for a school with a hyphen in its name. Awesome.

Although, I would think if Trev Alberts was brought in as AD, advancing the state of the football program (or at the very least, keeping it competitive) would be his main focus.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Don't you love it now that SDSU has a new videoboard, end zone facility and a few winning seasons that they think they should be considered royalty in NCAA football and that all tradition and history from the bad, old days of DII can simply be tossed out the window?

Please, let us all know when SDSU's football program has done something that would actually be written down as relevant in the NCAA football history books.

Ok I will. We have been to the D-I playoffs, its in the record books you can look it up. That happened last season you know the same season that UND lost to the NAIA national champions in Grand Forks. xsmhx xbawlingx

University of Sioux Falls 28 - UND 13

Hey but congrats on the D-II Championship back in '01.

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Ok I will. We have been to the D-I playoffs, its in the record books you can look it up. That happened last season you know the same season that UND lost to the NAIA national champions in Grand Forks. xsmhx xbawlingx

University of Sioux Falls 28 - UND 13

Hey but congrats on the D-II Championship back in '01.

September 2, 2006

D-III Wisconsin-Lacrosse 17 SDSU 3. Remember that 89?? your 4th year in transition and you got spanked by a D3 team at home.

SO ILLmatic
August 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.d2football.com/images/stadium/nebraska_omaha_stadium_2.jpg
An overhead shot of UNO's stadium. [courtesy of d2football.com]

The next two links talk about the commitment UNO is making towards improving their football facilities.

Omaha World Herald
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100723/MAVS/706199991/-1#massive-new-scoreboard-fits-uno-s-vision-for-the-future

Maverick Hockey forum
http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7540

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
September 2, 2006

D-III Wisconsin-Lacrosse 17 SDSU 3. Remember that 89?? your 4th year in transition and you got spanked by a D3 team at home.

Yes I do, and you didn't find me talking smack about FCS playoff teams that season. xshhhx

darell1976
August 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yes I do, and you didn't find me talking smack about FCS playoff teams that season. xshhhx

xpeacex

BearsCountry
August 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I guess our D2 and NAIA basketball history puts us on par with North Carolina, Duke and Kansas now. Me personally thinks our Sweet 16 apperance means more than those.

doolittledog
August 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
It's kind of funny, I can remember Trev Alberts being on ESPN a few years back, complaining about LSU's schedule saying something about all of the schools with hyphens in their names on LSU's non-conf schedule.

Now, he is an AD for a school with a hyphen in its name. Awesome.

Although, I would think if Trev Alberts was brought in as AD, advancing the state of the football program (or at the very least, keeping it competitive) would be his main focus.

I suppose they could become Nebraska St. or Omaha St. if they didn't want to be known as a hyphen school.

BearsCountry
August 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
UNO is an intresting case. Its a shame you couldn't merge them and Creighton into one school.

RabidRabbit
August 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
They were U of Omaha, but changed to be affiliated with UN-Lincoln.

Twentysix
August 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM

UNO is a legitimate option and would fit the conference footprint really well.

WestCoastAggie
August 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM

SUU - I kind of hope not

Why not look at Murray State then if you're considering EKU, UT-Martin & SEMO.

Twentysix
August 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Uno has over 14,000 students.

The football stadium seats - 9,500

Basketball stadium looks alright seats - 5000+

Seems to be ready for low end DI facility wise. Football is good enough and it looks like one endzone does not have seats, so they can probably bump that number up to 11,000 at a relativly low cost.

Twentysix
August 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Can has football now plox?

MplsBison
August 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM

SDSU most certainly should be thought of as a "FCS playoff team". Clearly anyone can see that, what with your long, perennial history of playoff appearances.

Redbird Ray
August 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Why not look at Murray State then if you're considering EKU, UT-Martin & SEMO.

Sorry, I would definitely take Murray State as well. Great Stadium, great fans, reasonably competitive, close drive for SIU also.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
SDSU most certainly should be thought of as a "FCS playoff team". Clearly anyone can see that, what with your long, perennial history of playoff appearances.

Please, let us all know when UND's football program has done something that would actually be written down as relevant in the D-I NCAA football history books.

See what I did there? xlolx xrotatehx xnodx

One more time, in case you missed it, congrats on your '01 D-II title.

Welcome to FCS, let your D-II glory days go. No one at this level cares.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I guess our D2 and NAIA basketball history puts us on par with North Carolina, Duke and Kansas now. Me personally thinks our Sweet 16 apperance means more than those.

MplsBison, I think he posted this for you.

doolittledog
August 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
And this is why I would like to see the 4 Dakota schools in 1 conference. Look at all this smack talk going on.

SDFS
August 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Please, let us all know when UND's football program has done something that would actually be written down as relevant in the D-I NCAA football history books.

See what I did there? xlolx xrotatehx xnodx

One more time, in case you missed it, congrats on your '01 D-II title.

Welcome to FCS, let your D-II glory days go. No one at this level cares.

Dear Mr. Rabbit

MplsBison is associated with NDSU not UND. I repeat, MplsBison is associated with the NDSU "Bison". Please do not make this mistake again.

Thank you

89rabbit
August 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Dear Mr. Rabbit

MplsBison is associated with NDSU not UND. I repeat, MplsBison is associated with the NDSU "Bison". Please do not make this mistake again.

Thank you

Actually he is a Sioux that wants people to think he is a Bison fan, but most folks are aware of his "clever ploy".

Here is his home board (see for yourself):

http://forum.siouxsports.com/

P.S. You can call me 89. xsmiley_wix

NDB
August 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Dear Mr. Rabbit

Thank you

SDFS.

NDSU is in no way associated with MplsBison. The claims and opinions of MplsBison are his own and are in no way endorsed by North Dakota State University, its employees, or fans.

Please do not make this mistake again.

TheBisonator
August 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, it's a good thing I didn't join in on this conversation earlier...

SDFS
August 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Actually he is a Sioux that wants people to think he is a Bison fan, but most folks are aware of his "clever ploy".

Here is his home board (see for yourself):

http://forum.siouxsports.com/

P.S. You can call me 89. xsmiley_wix

Dear Mr. 89

Not so fast my friend, please take a closer look and you will see the general consensus on Mr. NDSU - MplsBison at SS. He only posts at SS because he is banned at BV and wants to irritate Sioux fans.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=4588&st=4400

NOTE: These are the nice things people have to say and I only went through one page....

- Mpls, who is capable of an actual message board conversation but instead consistently chooses to be a flame-thrower, has long over-stayed his welcome and deserves to be banned

- Sometimes I read someone's post on the board and rethink my position on a topic. Not so with Mpls. Mpls seems to have a contrary viewpoint than everyone else on nearly every subject. Whether he is intentionally contradictory or his views are just different is up for debate. In my book, he's anti-ism.

- MPLSBison is sort of like that, but different. MPLSBison comes on here just to rile us up. He may believe what he says, but that's irrelevant. He knows we are an emotional, passionate, fanbase when it comes to this issue (among others) and uses that to gather entertainment. If we posted how our eyes fool us into believing that the sky is blue and it really is, in fact, green, MPLSBison will go on how it is actually more purple simply because it would aggravate us.

- The key really is to ignore him. And I admit I haven't done an especially good job of it. And I admit it also is very hard to do so. But everyone who leaves because of him, puts down JimDahl over him, and argues with him, basically fuels MPLSBison's happiness. He's a sad man in the fact that he so enjoys coming on here and acting in such a way. But he's found a loophole and he's exploiting it.

- My life became much more pleasant when I put you-know-who on "ignore".
I wish the rest of you would quit quoting his posts.

I rest my case... Mpls Bison is NDSU Bison through and through...

JBB
August 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
What should the new schools, USD and UND and a possible 12th member, pay to get in? I think the NCAA is now charging 1 million to move up. Conference membership with the MVFC is certainly worth that. xhurrayx

darell1976
August 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
What should the new schools, USD and UND and a possible 12th member, pay to get in? I think the NCAA is now charging 1 million to move up. Conference membership with the MVFC is certainly worth that. xhurrayx

I and most Sioux fans would pay anything to get out of the GWFC.

gjw007
August 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Dear Mr. 89

Not so fast my friend, please take a closer look and you will see the general consensus on Mr. NDSU - MplsBison at SS. He only posts at SS because he is banned at BV and wants to irritate Sioux fans.

I rest my case... Mpls Bison is NDSU Bison through and through...

I had thought he had been banned on this board as well. I have never seen somebody who has so much time to post on all these boards. You are right, it just brings things up to be argumentative but it does, for the most part, generate discussion until members just block him. He is a NDSU Bison fan not a UND Sioux fan.

dakotadan
August 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe he is a SDSU fan that just really likes to annoy fans of schools in North Dakota.

JBB
August 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Mnpls posts here and on suesports.

gjw007
August 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe he is a SDSU fan that just really likes to annoy fans of schools in North Dakota.

Could be. It seems to be working:)

Saluki Fan in FL
August 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM
If it were to happen that the Valley gained UND and USD and one other team, how would they divide the MVFC? Fat chance of them dividing it between the north and south. I don't hardly think it's an even divide to put UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU, UNI and WIU in one div. while the other has SIU, ISUred, ISUblue, YSU, MSU and (UNO, EIU, UTMartin or whoever they chose for the 6th). You will not split up the original Gateway teams: SIU, UNI, YSU, WIU, MSU, ISUred, and ISUblue. Too much history. They'd be better off keeping these teams together and adding ANOTHER two more yet to make it an even 14 teams. Here's a map I threw together with all the teams mentioned. How would you divide? http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/danesch/MissouryValleyDivisions.jpg

Gil Dobie
August 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
UNI and MSU seem to be the pivotal teams going east/west or north/south, otherwise it's a pretty simple split, unless they want to scramble it out a little.

RabidRabbit
August 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Could also toss WIU in to the mix as they are the "other" Summit League school. Then could have the NCC + WIU for 7, and the rest MVC. (Sorry, UNI, back in with the NCC teams in this scenario.)

BearsCountry
August 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Or the better option of not adding anymore teams to the MVFC unless Drake or Wichita State come along. Ideally those two to replace WIU and YSU would be even better.

darell1976
August 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Or the better option of not adding anymore teams to the MVFC unless Drake or Wichita State come along. Ideally those two to replace WIU and YSU would be even better.

Why would that be better than UND and USD joining?

MplsBison
August 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Or even better yet, kick out geographical-outlayers like YSU and MSU.

They're better off in FBS conferences that are better, regional fits.

Saluki Fan in FL
August 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Oh hell no. I'd take the two new Dakotas, UTMartin, EIU, or even UNO before those two.

We have to think about it like this... what newly added teams could hold their own against teams from the CAA? If they stand about as much of a chance at beating any of them as say... ISUblue, then no way in hell should we add them. We don't need any more ISUblue's. (Sorry ISUblue fans, I feel for ya, we were at the bottom once upon a time too, and were even thinking of dropping football.) But it's true... we don't need to add any more mediocre talent. The CAA is powerful from top to bottom, with only a few mediocre.

UTMartin and EIU finish head for head for number one every year in the Ohio Valley... but they always lose in the first round of the playoffs. We need to add teams that won't. A Cal Poly caliber team. (won't happen, too far away, but you get my drift)

Saluki Fan in FL
August 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM

No way do we get rid of YSU. They are a football power. I know they haven't done much of late, but wait till they get their footing back. They will return to being on top again very soon. It's only been the past two years that they've struggled. Mostly QB issues. Before that, they were neck and neck with SIU and UNI for the champs. Just wait MplsBison, you'll see their true power soon enough.

MSU, stands a good chance of going FBS. They have the facilities, money, and support. So that's actually a possibility.

BearsCountry
August 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Why would that be better than UND and USD joining?

Why? For one they are in our conference already, have better facilities, and better tv markets. Not to mention already have rivalries established with more of the league teams.

darell1976
August 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Why? For one they are in our conference already, have better facilities, and better tv markets. Not to mention already have rivalries established with more of the league teams.

Because Fox College Sports and 54 million homes can't compare to what Drake and Witchita St. has.xlolx

MSUDuo
August 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU are more of "outlayers" than MSU is. Not sure what you are trying to get at...

Our administration as said many times over the past several years that we are in no position to move up. We have to have a better and bigger fan base and must have better facilities. There is only one thing that will build a bigger fan base and in turn improve donations and money into the program to grow it. It is the one thing we haven't done since the early 90's. Heck, we haven't had 7 wins in a season since 1996. That is all I am asking for this year. Just continue to go upwards.

Gil Dobie
August 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU are more of "outlayers" than MSU is. Not sure what you are trying to get at...

Our administration as said many times over the past several years that we are in no position to move up. We have to have a better and bigger fan base and must have better facilities. There is only one thing that will build a bigger fan base and in turn improve donations and money into the program to grow it. It is the one thing we haven't done since the early 90's. Heck, we haven't had 7 wins in a season since 1996. That is all I am asking for this year. Just continue to go upwards.

The Missouri River actually goes through ND & SD though, just sayin'.

JBB
August 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
The Missouri River covers a lot of ground.

The more I think about MVFC/Summit merger the less I like it. There doesnt seen to be any benefit. The playoff exposure doesnt really strike me as a huge benefit. Maybe there is some long term benefit to conference stability? Thats in everyones interest, especially those schools with good conferences.

Without some off setting benefit I dont think I would be in favor of going back to an essentially all NCC schedule and a loss of prestige from the exclusivity of the current MVFC just to give a lift to USD and UND, especially since both schools are available to play almost any time. Well, UND isnt, but USD is good OOC game for NDSU, especially on the 2-fer-1 so why have them in a conference?

MplsBison
August 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM

We're already in Des Moines with UNI. No benefit there.

KS is saturated with the flagship public schools, KU and KSU. Probably a decent amount of NU and MU too. There would be very little interest in WSU football.

Drake's stadium is not better than UND or USD, though I will admit WSU has a nice stadium.

Hardcourt rivalries don't necessarily transfer 1-to-1 to the field.

Nice try though.

darell1976
August 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The Missouri River covers a lot of ground.

The more I think about MVFC/Summit merger the less I like it. There doesnt seen to be any benefit. The playoff exposure doesnt really strike me as a huge benefit. Maybe there is some long term benefit to conference stability? Thats in everyones interest, especially those schools with good conferences.

Without some off setting benefit I dont think I would be in favor of going back to an essentially all NCC schedule and a loss of prestige from the exclusivity of the current MVFC just to give a lift to USD and UND, especially since both schools are available to play almost any time. Well, UND isnt, but USD is good OOC game for NDSU, especially on the 2-fer-1 so why have them in a conference?

With the addition of UND and USD your strength of schedule would increase. You would have the Sioux-Bison rivalry renewed, more television exposure with Fox College Sports (imagine UND@NDSU in 54 million homes). The good out number the bad in a merge IMO.

JBB
August 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Thats exactly the point Im making all of that is possible without changing the conference and locking in those long trips especially for the original Gateway group.

Two divisions may make some travel easier, especially for WIU, SDSU and NDSU but it takes us away from the larger conference footprint. What good does adding USD do for NDSUs image projection? Sure, they are a nice OOC game but a conference affiliation isnt necessary or desirable. NDSUs OOC games should be spread around so we get exposure in new places. There is nothing to be gained in Vermillion that we dont already get from our association with SDSU. Same for the Jacks and UND.

I dont know what the conferences will do, but getting put into an NCC division would be a loss of prestige for NDSU. Anything the UxDs have to offer NDSU doesnt require conference membership and a sacrifice on NDSUs part.

darell1976
August 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Thats exactly the point Im making all of that is possible without changing the conference and locking in those long trips especially for the original Gateway group.

Two divisions may make some travel easier, especially for WIU, SDSU and NDSU but it takes us away from the larger conference footprint. What good does adding USD do for NDSUs image projection? Sure, they are a nice OOC game but a conference affiliation isnt necessary or desirable. NDSUs OOC games should be spread around so we get exposure in new places. There is nothing to be gained in Vermillion that we dont already get from our association with SDSU. Same for the Jacks and UND.

I dont know what the conferences will do, but getting put into an NCC division would be a loss of prestige for NDSU. Anything the UxDs have to offer NDSU doesnt require conference membership and a sacrifice on NDSUs part.

I am hoping in the near future we can see opponents like the App State, New Hampshire, Richmond, etc. come up this way. Its nice to see teams in the midwest but since the majority of the FCS lies in the east and the south we need them to come up here to gain that exposure, and like I said before this merge will benefit us GWFC teams greatly but even NDSU can find the good in this merge. I know people are afraid of change but you need to line up the pros and cons with every team. NDSU would get UND every year, SDSU would get USD, new rivals could emerge and old conference foes can reunite.

TheBisonator
August 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM
We're all talking about this like it's going to definitely happen, yet the MWFC commissioner said there's no plan of expanding the MWFC in the future.

So, am I crazy for trying to be reassured that we're all bull****ting in this thread??

dakotadan
August 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
So, am I crazy for trying to be reassured that we're all bull****ting in this thread??

Isn't that what every sports fan forum is full of? xnodx

MSUDuo
August 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
The Missouri River actually goes through ND & SD though, just sayin'.

Yeah, and it runs through Missouri and has Missouri in its name. Just sayin'...

Gil Dobie
August 8th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, and it runs through Missouri and has Missouri in its name. Just sayin'...

I didn't say Missouri was on the outlayers of the conference either.

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/171273/

Finding a conference home for UND’s football program has been a main focus for the school’s athletic department since the move to Division I was made.

One possibility for UND is the Missouri Valley Football Conference if merger talks with the Summit League progress. And that’s only if UND is accepted into the Summit, which does not offer football.

Another is the Big Sky Conference, although that possibility seems more remote.

Last week, however, Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton did not dismiss the idea of conference expansion during the league’s media day.

He told the Bozeman Daily Chronicle that the league is more financially stable than it was heading into the 2009-10 school year. That stability could make conference expansion a viable topic when the league presidents and athletic directors meet in October.

Fullerton said it’s also possible that the Big Sky could potentially add affiliate institutions — schools that would compete in some conference sports but not all of them.

da_bears
August 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM
We don't need any more members in the MVFC, but I wouldn't having WSU and Drake to stabilize the MVC as an all sports conference. I just don't see being in one conference for basketball/baseball and another for football as being stable long term. I hope to see my team leave for FBS in the next few years anyways. I wouldn't be to upset if they replaced evansville or drake with NDSU in the MVC as an all sports school but I have no interest in playing the other dakota schools.
Go Bears