PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Struggles in NFL Training Camp

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
For all of our Appalachian State posters...though I'm guessing with ASU's location, that most of you guys are already Carolina Panthers' fans and aware of this read.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Training camp isn't even a week old and Armanti Edwards is physically tired, mentally drained and a bit overwhelmed.

Carolina coach John Fox has got on him about his conditioning. He's still trying to remember all his receiver routes and where to line up. He's looked awkward at times catching — and muffing — punts and kickoffs.

Welcome to Edwards' world, as he transitions from star college quarterback at Appalachian State to rookie NFL receiver and return man with the Panthers.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/9095eb4a22614b419efbc2bab7703b84/FBN--Panthers_Camp/

AppIAA
August 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hmm, this article shows different..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/11520/checking-in-from-the-land-of-the-panthers

Although, I have heard he has been muffing punts and kick returns..

SideLine Shooter
August 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hmm, this article shows different..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/11520/checking-in-from-the-land-of-the-panthers

Although, I have heard he has been muffing punts and kick returns..

I expected him to struggle a little because of changing positions. If he can get somewhat comfortable at those new positions I believe you will see the real AE in a gametime situation. It has to be a difficult change from QB to receiver and return man. I have seen him do too many things on a football field that most players could only dream about.

mikebigg
August 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
He should have tried to play qb...

AppAlum2003
August 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
The sky is falling!!!!

SideLine Shooter
August 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM

I don't think that was his decision. I think he could do as good as any other QB on the roster at the position, but that is my opinion and not worth too much.

AppIAA
August 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM

He wasn't given a choice.. they drafted him as a WR and are concentrating on getting those skills down. Once that is complete (could be a couple seasons), they might throw in some wildcat packages with him in the backfield

mikebigg
August 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
He wasn't given a choice.. they drafted him as a WR and are concentrating on getting those skills down. Once that is complete (could be a couple seasons), they might throw in some wildcat packages with him in the backfield

Oh, I see... was thinking he signed as a Free Agent. He will probably transition into a good receiver...I'm sure they expected some difficulty initially.

AppIAA
August 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Drafted #89 in the 3rd round.. Panthers traded next years 2nd round to the patriots to move up to get him..

ASUG8
August 3rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
Jeez, give him a break - he hasn't played WR since early in HS, and he's never fielded kickoffs or punts. He'll be just fine, especially given he's only been at a few days of practice. You can't teach speed or hands (both of which he has) and he'll learn the routes and get the conditioning.

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
I think he'll be fine...once he grows into the role. They drafted him as a project, so they know he's not going to be an over night sensation..

He'll put butts in the seats if he latches on. If so, they'll be able to justify the expenditure. Hell, if he catches on, the jersey sales to App State fans alone will pay his contract ;)

biggie
August 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
That's still the only article I've seen that says he's struggling. Most think he's way ahead of the curve on this transition.

Rekdiver
August 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Armanti admits that it is tougher than he thought. Did the Panthers give him a workout routine to follow to get him ready for all of the running? If we see him on the field other than a "wildcat" in preseason and returning punts/kicks, I'd be surprised. He won't be ready to be a solid WR until next year.........

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Armanti admits that it is tougher than he thought. Did the Panthers give him a workout routine to follow to get him ready for all of the running? If we see him on the field other than a "wildcat" in preseason and returning punts/kicks, I'd be surprised. He won't be ready to be a solid WR until next year.........

Yeah given his transition he is at least one year away from being a real contributor to the Panthers offense. I have seen many players in the past make this transition and most of them never really get it down...However, most of those guys were never drafted, let alone in the 3rd round.

I wonder how many reps he will get in their game on Thursday night...I'll probably check out a littie bit of that.

jmufan999
August 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah given his transition he is at least one year away from being a real contributor to the Panthers offense.

which could end up being a problem... if John Fox gets canned after this year, who knows if the next coaching staff will like him. obviously, the same goes for every player on the roster. but Fox is definitely on the hot seat... shame, because he's a really good coach, in my opinion. they just have not made wise free agent moves and draft choices over the past few seasons. also should have paid Pep the big money he wanted. even if he's not worth every penny.... he's close. elite pass rushers are VERY hard to find.

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
which could end up being a problem... if John Fox gets canned after this year, who knows if the next coaching staff will like him. obviously, the same goes for every player on the roster. but Fox is definitely on the hot seat... shame, because he's a really good coach, in my opinion. they just have not made wise free agent moves and draft choices over the past few seasons. also should have paid Pep the big money he wanted. even if he's not worth every penny.... he's close. elite pass rushers are VERY hard to find.

Definetely...you have to pay guys who have produced the big bucks...while a team may not agree on the exact worth of the player they still need to get a deal done to bring the guy back. Can you tell me how the QB situation is this year?

GO AGS
August 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Been watching the Carolina/Baltimore preseason game and Edwards has returned a couple punts. I think he looked sluggish, lacking the explosiveness you normally see in other punt/kick returners.

theasushow
August 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Been watching the Carolina/Baltimore preseason game and Edwards has returned a couple punts. I think he looked sluggish, lacking the explosiveness you normally see in other punt/kick returners.

yeah, he has returned a total of one punt that counted....for 18 yards. I think the NFL average is around 8 yards. perhaps he didn't look as explosive because the competition is a tad quicker now.

GO AGS
August 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
18 yards due to blocking. Edwards ran in a straight line and had gotten 10 yards before a single Raven got within 5 yards of him.

Not trying to blast him, he obviously hasn't done this in a while, I just think it will be a long transition for him. At least hes not muffing it.

Saint3333
August 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
18 yards due to blocking. Edwards ran in a straight line and had gotten 10 yards before a single Raven got within 5 yards of him.

Not trying to blast him, he obviously hasn't done this ever, I just think it will be a long transition for him. At least hes not muffing it.

Fixed it. I look at it this way he's only going to get better. At first in camp he couldn't even judge where the ball would be on punts. He'll be fine.

AppStateSVX
August 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Not trying to blast him, he obviously hasn't done this in a while, I just think it will be a long transition for him. At least hes not muffing it.

yeah.....18 yards sure is pitiful. He followed blockers? what a lousy return man...

SalukiJim
August 19th, 2010, 05:12 AM
SI's Ross Tucker has a good column highlighting the difficulty for rookies in NFL training camps and preseason

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/08/13/preseason/index.html

From the article: "Think about that for a second. The vast majority of rookies were stars in college, and, as such, were never asked to play special teams. Now, in the NFL, their job opportunity is completely based upon something they have never done.

Making matters worse is the reality that nobody practices special teams at a live tempo in the NFL. It is just too dangerous and too violent. That means this weekend hundreds of players will be almost exclusively judged based upon how well they perform a task that they are doing full speed and with live contact for the first time in their entire lives. Talk about pressure. Most of them will have just two or three repetitions on the punt or kickoff teams and their lives could potentially be forever altered based upon whether they make a play, and thus an impression, on those units. That may not be fair but that's the NFL."

Certainly a tough way to make a living!

biggie
August 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Good article:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/14/1623172/underwhelming-so-far-panthers.html

PhoenixSupreme
August 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Good article:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/14/1623172/underwhelming-so-far-panthers.html

I think the article has a point. While Armanti on the outside appears to be struggling, and is getting backlash from many Panthers fans, people need to understand he is playing positions and doing things that he has either never played before or has not done since high school, where the talent level is relatively nothing. Rome wasn't built in a day...you can't expect him to get used to the positions and his role immediately. But also like the article says, once his killer instincts kick in and the instincts themselves adjust to the WR and kick returner roles he should be an excellent compliment to Steve Smith

biggie
August 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
As bad as all of the Panther's WRs are doing so far, I don't think the Panther fans should be complaining about 1 of them. AE and Dexter Jackson had the most catches for WRs in the 1st preseason game (at 2 each).

SideLine Shooter
August 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
As bad as all of the Panther's WRs are doing so far, I don't think the Panther fans should be complaining about 1 of them. AE and Dexter Jackson had the most catches for WRs in the 1st preseason game (at 2 each).

Excellent point. Some people just want to complain about something. A lot of fans are tired of hearing about AE and all of his accomplishments and were ready to jump on the AE Bashing Bandwagon at the first chance. AE will be fine. Let him get use to playing the new positions and I think you will see some real exictment.

LeadBolt
August 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
AE is a fantastic athlete and will excel, if given the chance and injuries don't slow him down. He is learning new positions at the highest level of competition and that takes time. One has to assume that when he was drafted as high as he was to play a new position, he will be given time to develop at that new position.

As a non-App fan, I am a bit tired of hearing about him, but he has earned the acolades.

BarefootApp
August 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Learning 2 new positions at the highest level of his sport is a daunting task. Everybody, mostly the media, need to take a deep breath. He will be fine and will represent FCS well.