PDA

View Full Version : Not So Fast - I-A Pipe Dreams

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Which I-AA schools in recent memory have had I-A "pipe dreams" that have not worked out the way they wanted?

I think the two that come to mind are Florida A&M with their announcement to move to I-A and then, they're back in I-AA. A real pie in the face for many as we all know...

Also, Texas State - San Marcos (then Southwest Texas) who even in their media guide talked about moving up to I-A a few years back. They even had a plan drawn out. Of course, they never had any I-AA success until this year.

Were there other schools who were pretty far along in the process and stopped having those dreams?

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Which I-AA schools in recent memory have had I-A "pipe dreams" that have not worked out the way they wanted?

I think the two that come to mind are Florida A&M with their announcement to move to I-A and then, they're back in I-AA. A real pie in the face for many as we all know...

Also, Texas State - San Marcos (then Southwest Texas) who even in their media guide talked about moving up to I-A a few years back. They even had a plan drawn out. Of course, they never had any I-AA success until this year.
Were there other schools who were pretty far along in the process and stopped having those dreams?

you're so predictable.

blah blah blah texas state sux. look at how they failed blah blah blah.

dude, live in the present. i'll even give you some bait--attack our basketball team. we're horrible!! or talk about how horrible your football team was this year. you're ALWAYS searching for something bad to say about texas state. get over it.

furthermore, what is wrong with dreaming? if you don't dream, you don't accomplish anything. if you fail, so what?! you're back to where you started with an opportunity to prove yourself.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse
:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Live in the present? You guys have a thread right now about how a fifth BCS bowl would benefit your institution under your Bobcat Sports forum. It's an every other day of the week event for your school. Not living in the past at all.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7713

My thread was started to see what other schools have made their way along the process and stepped back, with the two examples I could think of being FAMU and SWT (now TxSt-SM)...

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Live in the present? You guys have a thread right now about how a fifth BCS bowl would benefit your institution under your Bobcat Sports forum. It's an every other day of the week event for your school. Not living in the past at all.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7713

My thread was started to see what other schools have made their way along the process and stepped back, with the two examples I could think of being FAMU and SWT (now TxSt-SM)...

if you base a school's athletic dreams on a sports forum, then i guess you have a point. also, the posters on there were talking about how it could benefit Texas State ***IF*** we move up to I-A in the ***FUTURE***. but these guys don't run the athletic department and as far as the AD is concerned, we're staying in I-AA.

but i digress...

wasn't missouri state talking about a possible move to I-A?

blackfordpu
January 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
you're so predictable.

blah blah blah texas state sux. look at how they failed blah blah blah.

dude, live in the present. i'll even give you some bait--attack our basketball team. we're horrible!! or talk about how horrible your football team was this year. you're ALWAYS searching for something bad to say about texas state. get over it.

furthermore, what is wrong with dreaming? if you don't dream, you don't accomplish anything. if you fail, so what?! you're back to where you started with an opportunity to prove yourself.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse
:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

Touchy touchy! :nono:

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Touchy touchy! :nono:

lol, not touchy. his indirect attacks against my school just get REAAALLLLLY old after awhile.

bobcatalum05
January 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I think I will start to trash Sam Houston in my free time and see how Texas Terror likes it. Boy does he have alot of free time too. He doesnt post his smart comments on our board in this instance..... he runs over here and tells all his little buddies what he saw else were. Sounds like grade school to me.

on a side not to Texas Terror.... is your screen name created after the John Wayne movie or is it just some obscure creation.

blackfordpu
January 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
lol, not touchy. his indirect attacks against my school just get REAAALLLLLY old after awhile.

So was he indirectly attacking Florida A&M? No, he was just posting another thread. There was no malice there just a statement of fact. How about you add to the thread by sticking to the point, not jumping off on a tangent because you feel "violated."

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
So was he indirectly attacking Florida A&M? No, he was just posting another thread. There was no malice there just a statement of fact.

how about you open your eyes to a trend? Think for a minute...when's the last time TexasTerror said anything POSITIVE about Texas State? Even the most level-headed SHSU supporter can see that 90% of his posts indirectly (or sometimes directly) attack Texas State. Add that to the fact that he does the SAME THING on bobcatfans and you kind of get the general idea...

Also, why wouldn't this be taken as an attack? This topic is basically saying "hmmmm, I wonder which school f***ed up because they chose to reach for the clouds?" and it came from someone who has a history of doggin my school. Had I (being a TxSt. fan/student...granted I really don't dog SHSU) started a topic that said something like "Which I-AA schools had the most drug violations in the last two years?" you would probably take that as an indirect attack too.

How about you add to the thread by sticking to the point, not jumping off on a tangent because you feel "violated."

Maybe you should read the last line of my other post. After I pointed out yet another one of TTs antics, I asked about Missouri State. That seems to be on topic.

So...is anyone going to answer my question? :nonono2:

seeker
January 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Other fan bases that seem to have I-A pipe dreams:

UCD
Sac St
Montana
WKU
FAMU
DSU
Grambling
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
UMass
Villanova

and others

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM

UCD
Sac St
Montana
WKU
FAMU
DSU
Grambling
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
UMass
Villanova

and others

THANK YOU!!

I think Montana could maybe do well (granted, it may take a few years) in the WAC. Other than that, I don't know. App. State and Georgia Southern are in SEC/ACC country and it would take ALOT for them to consistently compete with most of those guys. UC-Davis, though they beat Stanford, IMO, would not be a good fit RIGHT NOW for either the PAC 10 (god no!), the WAC, or the MWC.

I believe the other teams need to stay I-AA for awhile as I don't personally feel they would really flourish in Div I-A.

Is WKU joining the MAC, or was that just a rumor?

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
on a side not to Texas Terror.... is your screen name created after the John Wayne movie or is it just some obscure creation.

Comes from the arena football league team that we used to have in Houston...

Worked out well when I began "terrorizing" SHSU and making life a "terror" for SHSU admins, TSUS regents and such...

Cocky
January 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
How long would it take Harvard or Yale to be competitive in I-A? If either committed to I-A football with the funds (both have plenty) could be competitive in I-A in less than 10 years. BCS conference would be attracted to these well known schools or Notre Dame may want to team up and form a new conference to boost their academic image.

I don't think either is considering this but their brands are very powerful.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM
How long would it take Harvard or Yale to be competitive in I-A? If either committed to I-A football with the funds (both have plenty) could be competitive in I-A in less than 10 years. BCS conference would be attracted to these well known schools or Notre Dame may want to team up and form a new conference to boost their academic image.

Of course neither is considering it, and I think we'll see

http://www.santoses.com/hell.jpg

before they ever do...

BUT IF, they did (and went to scholarships, higher paid coaches, etc.) they could be successful in I-A. They've got the money and name.

The real issue would be, would they drop admission requirements for football players. Again,

but, if they did, of course they could be competitive, in less than 10 years IMO. They've got more money than most nations, large stadiums, urban centers to draw fans from, and unbeatable name recognition. They could be some of the best I-As in the land, just like they were pre WWII. But the thing is the game changed, and they decided, for better or worse, not to.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Nice highway-sign picture colgate 13... was that taken just outside of Hamilton? xlolx

I hear Steven King's next novel is going to be set there.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM

If that happened Columbia would have to drop football rather than move to I-A. But I'd like to see them in the Rose Bowl again to prove 1934 was no fluke. :rotateh:

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM

I think Harvard and Yale would face the same obstacles that, for instance, Rice University would. Harvard and Yale are two of the top academic institutions in the nation and maybe this keeps them from getting the athletic cream of the crop.

They're names (along with Notre Dame) would make for a very nice academic conference. Add in a few more Ivy-type schools (like Rice, Stanford, and Duke) and you could have the I-A version of the Ivy League (although travel would be horrendous!).

Kill'em
January 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM

UCD
Sac St
Montana
WKU
FAMU
DSU
Grambling
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
UMass
Villanova

and others
No joke! Georgia Southern moving to I-A would be a huge mistake.

crunifan
January 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Although I know it isn't gonna happen, I believe UNI would be the best candidate for any I-A conference, not only is our football team strong, but so is our men's basketball team, women's basketball team, volleyball team, and wrestling team. If that is not a pretty candidate, I'm not sure what these conferences want.

Kill'em
January 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
The UNI Dome could be the problem, though. At 16,400, its capacity would be very small in I-A. I'm not an engineer but its expansion capabilities look very limited.

tarmac
January 12th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I think one factor to look at is the ability to draw over 20,000 on a fairly consistant basis. At least once a year. Even better would be to every once in a while draw over 25,000. That shows that at least there is at least a fan base to be tapped from.

JohnStOnge
January 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I'd say that fans of just about every program that's already moved from I-AA to I-A had and continues to have pipe dreams. From what I can tell just about all of them thought/think they can become serious factors as programs in I-A and none of them have.

And before anyone says something like "Boise State," I'll mention that the Broncos have something like a 2-14 record against major conference (now defined as the BCS leagues) opponents. Saying they're a "factor" because they have a good record against other "mid majors" is like talking about a I-AA squad being a factor in that subdivision because it has a good record against the Pioneer Leauge.