PDA

View Full Version : Underestimating Georgia Southern

gsu1moretime
July 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM
As a Georgia Southern Alumni, I called the 6-4 record last year. I saw the recruiting and the weight room. I do have to say the attitude and the effort in statesboro has done a 180. Majority of players have gained 10-15 lbs of muscle and are in better football shape than they were during the middle of the year last year. They have a better football sceme defensively and are picking up the TO very quickly it seems.

Defensively they will have Brent Russle and a host of linebackers with Carson hill returning at cb.

Offensively Jaybo Shaw qb, Zeke Rozier fb, and Darreion Robinson slot. with a line that will need to learn a different sceme but I believe has the size and quickness to do so.

But overall the team looks all around a better team. And I know they will be better than last year.

The Cats
July 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Would have taken it a little more seriously if a GSU fan had not written it.

What about underestimating Elon, Furman, UTC, Samford, or Wofford ?

JohnStOnge
July 31st, 2010, 06:58 PM
I would not underestimate Georgia Southern now that they have returned to their traditional bread and butter. My thing was that they screwed up royally by ditching the offensive system that brought them all that success and was still working when they ditched it. Only question is whether or not the brain dead move to suspend devotion to it creates a situation where it will be hard to recover the magic. We'll see.

But, regardless, I will always think the decision by the GSU administration to ditch the triple option offense after a 2005 season during which it averaged 470 yards and 38 points per game was one of the stupidest...and perhaps THE stupidest...decision I have ever seen in the realm of sports. I'm mean, seriously. You average 470 yards and 38 points per game and you think the offensive system is the problem?

And the stupidity index is increased by the fact that it's a system that brought GSU 6 national championships.

james_lawfirm
July 31st, 2010, 07:04 PM
But, regardless, I will always think the decision by the GSU administration to ditch the triple option offense after the 2005 season was one of the stupidest...and perhaps THE stupidest...decision I have ever seen in the realm of sports.

I trust you meant to say "the decision by the Head Coach", not the GSU administration, to ditch the TO after 2005 ...

At least I presume the HC decides those things. Or, maybe that's not how it works down in Statesboro. Hmmm ... a football game called by an administrative committee ... there's an idea doomed to failure.

JohnStOnge
July 31st, 2010, 07:14 PM
I trust you meant to say "the decision by the Head Coach", not the GSU administration, to ditch the TO after 2005 ...

At least I presume the HC decides those things. Or, maybe that's not how it works down in Statesboro. Hmmm ... a football game called by an administrative committee ... there's an idea doomed to failure.

I don't think so. My understanding is that after Georgia Southern lost its 2005 first round playoff game by 50 - 35 the administration fired the coach and decided to move away from the triple option offense. Then they hired a coach consistent with that objective.

Libertine
July 31st, 2010, 09:29 PM
My understanding is that after Georgia Southern lost its 2005 first round playoff game by 50 - 35 the administration fired the coach and decided to move away from the triple option offense. Then they hired a coach consistent with that objective.

That was my understanding as well. I remember a lot of discussion about it at the time (especially here on AGS) and the prevailing sentiment was that Sam Baker wanted to put a product on the field that wasn't essentially Erk Russell-based.

CropDuster
July 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
I don't think so. My understanding is that after Georgia Southern lost its 2005 first round playoff game by 50 - 35 the administration fired the coach and decided to move away from the triple option offense. Then they hired a coach consistent with that objective.

That was my understanding as well. I remember a lot of discussion about it at the time (especially here on AGS) and the prevailing sentiment was that Sam Baker wanted to put a product on the field that wasn't essentially Erk Russell-based.

You guys are correct. Mike Sewak was fired after losing to Texas St in the first round of the playoffs in 2005. We lost in the semis in '02 to WKU, didn't make them in '03 at 7-4. and lost in the first round to UNH in '04. The AD scrapped the option completely jn favor of a pro style offense and hired Brian Van Gorder who was UGAs Defensive coordinator, and who had a losing record as a previous head coach, we went 3-8 in '06. Chris Hatcher was coach from 07-09 and ran the Air Raid. We went 7-4, 6-5, and 5-6 in those three years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2010, 10:45 PM
FCS football is better when GSU is relevant. Hopefully the Eagles can get things turned around again. I feel the same about Youngstown State.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Based upon the history of Appalachian at Statesboro I certainly doubt there will be any under-estimation.

Here's hoping that TO transition goes well --- after Nov 6th :D

ElonPride
August 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
As a Georgia Southern Alumni, I called the 6-4 record last year. I saw the recruiting and the weight room. I do have to say the attitude and the effort in statesboro has done a 180. Majority of players have gained 10-15 lbs of muscle and are in better football shape than they were during the middle of the year last year. They have a better football sceme defensively and are picking up the TO very quickly it seems.

Defensively they will have Brent Russle and a host of linebackers with Carson hill returning at cb.

Offensively Jaybo Shaw qb, Zeke Rozier fb, and Darreion Robinson slot. with a line that will need to learn a different sceme but I believe has the size and quickness to do so.

But overall the team looks all around a better team. And I know they will be better than last year.

Didn't GSU lose quite a few players in the off season due to injury, transfers and academic problems?

You lost these guys in one week alone around July 27:
Tatum & Nolley - academics
Snipes - surgery
Petkovich - violation of NCAA eligibility rule
Valentine - transfer
Teal - academics

gsu1moretime
August 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Teal hasn't played in a few years and was completely kicked off due to academics, Nolley will be redshirted this yr because of academics. Petkovich I dont know about the ncaa eligibility rule but I do know he was coming back from injury and didnt play much. Valentine was a great talent but didn't fit the new sceme or wanted to work for greatness. Adam Urbano (leading rusher last year) was probably the 2nd or best running back on the team behind Zeke Rozier and Darrieron Robinson. Chapell left didnt fit the sceme. Jaybo Shaw transfers in. Carson Hill cb returns from redshirting a year. So even though they have lost players they haven't lost that key player and as of now they have people to fill in for them.

GSUsTALON
August 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
I would not underestimate Georgia Southern now that they have returned to their traditional bread and butter. My thing was that they screwed up royally by ditching the offensive system that brought them all that success and was still working when they ditched it. Only question is whether or not the brain dead move to suspend devotion to it creates a situation where it will be hard to recover the magic. We'll see.

But, regardless, I will always think the decision by the GSU administration to ditch the triple option offense after a 2005 season during which it averaged 470 yards and 38 points per game was one of the stupidest...and perhaps THE stupidest...decision I have ever seen in the realm of sports. I'm mean, seriously. You average 470 yards and 38 points per game and you think the offensive system is the problem?

And the stupidity index is increased by the fact that it's a system that brought GSU 6 national championships.

Your statements are blindly clear and are felt by most GSU fans to be fact. Sewak should have been alowed a chance to hire a new defensive coordinator
JohnStonge, would you like to be GSUs new AD?

MplsBison
August 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
If GSU wins, I for one will refuse to give credit to the triple option.

Schemes don't games, players and coaches do.

GSUsTALON
August 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM

Coaching, Schemes, Exicution & Players win games.
How well will the Spread Option be exicuted by GSU is the question.

ElonPride
August 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Teal hasn't played in a few years and was completely kicked off due to academics, Nolley will be redshirted this yr because of academics. Petkovich I dont know about the ncaa eligibility rule but I do know he was coming back from injury and didnt play much. Valentine was a great talent but didn't fit the new sceme or wanted to work for greatness. Adam Urbano (leading rusher last year) was probably the 2nd or best running back on the team behind Zeke Rozier and Darrieron Robinson. Chapell left didnt fit the sceme. Jaybo Shaw transfers in. Carson Hill cb returns from redshirting a year. So even though they have lost players they haven't lost that key player and as of now they have people to fill in for them.

But it seems there was a SLEW of attrition since spring practices, not JUST the ones mentioned in the previous post.

Also (and this isn't meant to be smack) what is the status of GSU's APR? Didn't you lose a few schollys last year? Also, how will those deemed academically ineligible this year affect GSU's progress report to the NCAA in the near future? Are you at risk of losing even more scholarships? Seems the new coach has quite a bit of cleaning up to do over the next year.

OL FU
August 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I don't underestimate GSU's ability to get back on top. I just don't believe it is going to happen or even get close this year. Attitude and work ethic is going to help but time will be a major factor.

I also don't underestimate most GSU's fans ability to be over optimistic especially given the last four years.

The Cats
August 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
I would not underestimate Georgia Southern now that they have returned to their traditional bread and butter.

And you do realize that they now have an entire team assembled over the last four years that has NEVER taken a snap in a college game utilizing their "traditional bread and butter" triple option? xnonono2x

Baldy
August 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Didn't GSU lose quite a few players in the off season due to injury, transfers and academic problems?

You lost these guys in one week alone around July 27:
Tatum & Nolley - academics
Snipes - surgery
Petkovich - violation of NCAA eligibility rule
Valentine - transfer
Teal - academics
Tatum, Nolley, and Petkovich are all still with the team and are all able to practice. It's my understanding that Nolley and Tatum's grades aren't the issue (if it was they wouldn't be allowed to practice), it's just that they haven't met the required academic progress for their declared major. Sounds like they might have changed majors or something to that degree.

Not sure what Petkovich's violation was, but I would guess it's probably relatively minor considering like Nolley and Tatum, he is still allowed to practice with the team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 2nd, 2010, 10:46 AM

Sewak probably needed to go, and it's mostly because of things going on off the field. The big mistake was hiring VanGoblin. The guy is a good DC but as a HC he was in way way over his head and was far too arrogant to see it. The dummie stupidly assumed an OC who did a poor job at a Sun Belt school would suffice at an elite FCS school. He rescinded Armanti Edwards' scholarship offer and gave us a third string conference USA quarterback (everyone knows CUSA backups can play circles around the best FCS players xrolleyesx). Then you have Jayson Foster spending a lot of time on the bench. On top of that, it was pretty clear he was just taking the job until an NFL team called with a job better than a linebackers coach, even if that call came in the middle of the season. VanGorder has to rank as one of the worst hires in the history of division I athletics.

But I'm thinking getting rid of Sewak will prove to be the right decision in the next few years.

I don't underestimate GSU's ability to get back on top. I just don't believe it is going to happen or even get close this year. Attitude and work ethic is going to help but time will be a major factor.

I also don't underestimate most GSU's fans ability to be over optimistic especially given the last four years.

I think we could very well be in the hunt for the SoCon race until November. Heck, we finished fourth in the conference last year and this year we'll be better on defense and we just can't possibly be any worse on offense.

I don't know if any one scheme is inherently superior to another, but there's an advantage to running the option and you are kidding yourself if you say otherwise. It's an offense that your opponents do not see that often. On top of that, it's easier to recruit good A-backs and good blocking receivers than it is to recruit for positions in offensive schemes that are already ubiquitous in college football.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Sewak probably needed to go, and it's mostly because of things going on off the field. The big mistake was hiring VanGoblin. The guy is a good DC but as a HC he was in way way over his head and was far too arrogant to see it. The dummie stupidly assumed an OC who did a poor job at a Sun Belt school would suffice at an elite FCS school. He rescinded Armanti Edwards' scholarship offer and gave us a third string conference USA quarterback (everyone knows CUSA backups can play circles around the best FCS players xrolleyesx). Then you have Jayson Foster spending a lot of time on the bench. On top of that, it was pretty clear he was just taking the job until an NFL team called with a job better than a linebackers coach, even if that call came in the middle of the season. VanGorder has to rank as one of the worst hires in the history of division I athletics.

But I'm thinking getting rid of Sewak will prove to be the right decision in the next few years.

I think we could very well be in the hunt for the SoCon race until November. Heck, we finished fourth in the conference last year and this year we'll be better on defense and we just can't possibly be any worse on offense.

I don't know if any one scheme is inherently superior to another, but there's an advantage to running the option and you are kidding yourself if you say otherwise. It's an offense that your opponents do not see that often. On top of that, it's easier to recruit good A-backs and good blocking receivers than it is to recruit for positions in offensive schemes that are already ubiquitous in college football.

I recall Foster being used as a receiverxnodxxlolx

I think I could have won more games as head coach than Van Gooberxrotatehx

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM

You can believe whatever you want - it doesn't really matter as long as you're winning. You can make anything up and be called a genius, so long as you have the wins.

My team could line up in a 1-1-9 defense, so long as we've got 11 NFL all-pros, they're going to beat your team's blocks and tackle the ball carrier for a loss or break up the pass. Once the ball is hiked, the scheme really doesn't matter. Who's got the best tacklers, blockers, etc. is what matters.

The option has huge, inherent disadvantages/risks - for starters in that it's main crutch is relying on an effective pitch. It's a fumble every time in my book, just usually the offense recovers. But not always.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
GSU has to again earn the respect, I think. They were a first round playoff exit a few years ago with much better talent and a program that wasn't in constant flux. The new coaching staff is just a part of it. Players have been dismissed, quit, transferred, etc. almost routinely. The program needs stability, both in the coaching staff and the roster before things really begin full steam ahead.

This is also not the SoCon of 2005. In those days GSU really only circled two games a season (ASU and Furman). Win one of those and you had a pretty good shot at a conference title. These days are different. Elon, App, Furman, Samford, and UTC are arguably all better programs. More teams are running the option, meaning teams see it several times during the year and taking away a lot of the element of suprise that made the offense so effective for GSU.

I think GSU will get back, though probably not this year. I may stand completely corrected come the season, but right now they are not as good as Elon, App State, Furman, UTC, Samford, and potentially Wofford. They managed to hang on fairly well during the last time they made a large offensive transition, but that was in large part because of Jayson Foster. They don't have that type player right now.

Long story short, the Eagles will go as Shaw goes. If he has a good season, they can make some noise. If he struggles, they will struggle. There are some games on the schedule that were tough wins even in the years when the Eagles where one of the best programs in the country.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
You can believe whatever you want - it doesn't really matter as long as you're winning. You can make anything up and be called a genius, so long as you have the wins.

My team could line up in a 1-1-9 defense, so long as we've got 11 NFL all-pros, they're going to beat your team's blocks and tackle the ball carrier for a loss or break up the pass. Once the ball is hiked, the scheme really doesn't matter. Who's got the best tacklers, blockers, etc. is what matters.

The option has huge, inherent disadvantages/risks - for starters in that it's main crutch is relying on an effective pitch. It's a fumble every time in my book, just usually the offense recovers. But not always.

Mpls, I don't know if you realize this, but when GSC's football program was restarted in 1982 we were not SoCon material. When we won our first NC GSC was a school with about 6,000 students and we didn't have an athletics budget and facilities that would put us in the elite of IAA. We won that NC despite not having the best athletes because the option gives you a chance to make up the difference. If you don't think defensive coordinators don't fret over playing a triple-option offense then you just don't know a lot about football.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Mpls, I don't know if you realize this, but when GSC's football program was restarted in 1982 we were not SoCon material. When we won our first NC GSC was a school with about 6,000 students and we didn't have an athletics budget and facilities that would put us in the elite of IAA. We won that NC despite not having the best athletes because the option gives you a chance to make up the difference. If you don't think defensive coordinators don't fret over playing a triple-option offense then you just don't know a lot about football.

As an opponent of that offense for years, I can tell you it is deadly. Size and strength of the defense is perfectly irrelevant. The O-line is so far off the ball that the defensive line cannot get leverage and will tumble under the chop blocks. It is only defensible with discipline. One man missing his assignment on defense and the play will go for 60 yards and a score.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM

Like I said, believe what you want.

I can't argue against national titles - GSU obviously earned them.

My opinion, that won't be changed, is that GSU had the best talent. That's why they won the games.

I don't see what's different now-a-days.

Gringer1
August 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Georgia Southern fans are excited about the return of the option not so much because it guarantees wins, but because it is part of our identity. Georgia Southern ran the option better than almost any team and gained 6 national titles with it. Every football fan in Statesboro who has been a resident for more than 15 years is well versed in the flexbone and loves to see it click. The option offense and Georgia Southern were one and the same until a slew of bone headed moves took us away from our roots and traditions. The return of the option marks a change in the mind set for the Eagles on offense and defense. The O line is charging off the line and hitting people, the defense isn't going for weak arm tackles, and there's a "go get 'em" attitude that has been absent the past few years. GSU fans are beaming because we finally have our style of play back and that's one of the best things we can ask for.

PhoenixSupreme
August 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
GSU has to again earn the respect, I think. They were a first round playoff exit a few years ago with much better talent and a program that wasn't in constant flux. The new coaching staff is just a part of it. Players have been dismissed, quit, transferred, etc. almost routinely. The program needs stability, both in the coaching staff and the roster before things really begin full steam ahead.

This is also not the SoCon of 2005. In those days GSU really only circled two games a season (ASU and Furman). Win one of those and you had a pretty good shot at a conference title. These days are different. Elon, App, Furman, Samford, and UTC are arguably all better programs. More teams are running the option, meaning teams see it several times during the year and taking away a lot of the element of suprise that made the offense so effective for GSU.

I think GSU will get back, though probably not this year. I may stand completely corrected come the season, but right now they are not as good as Elon, App State, Furman, UTC, Samford, and potentially Wofford. They managed to hang on fairly well during the last time they made a large offensive transition, but that was in large part because of Jayson Foster. They don't have that type player right now.

Long story short, the Eagles will go as Shaw goes. If he has a good season, they can make some noise. If he struggles, they will struggle. There are some games on the schedule that were tough wins even in the years when the Eagles where one of the best programs in the country.

I agree with you... It's a whole new environment, both with the teams in the SoCon as well as the makeup of the players at GSU in regards to the old and the new Triple Option. It's not the old GSU/App/Furman league of then and GSU definitely will need some new time to adjust to the system. How long they have to adjust really depends on how the current underclassmen adjust as well as how Shaw performs.