PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recognize this stadium?

Gordon Shumway
July 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
And who plays there....xlolx

http://members.cox.net/rupa78/Day%203%20005.JPG

http://members.cox.net/rupa78/Day%203%20006.JPG

Spending the night in Blowing Rock, and just had to run up to Boone. The stadium is amazing. To say I am jealous would be unfair to the ASU folks. As a UNH grad I am am jealous of a lot of high school stadiums in Florida.xlolx

The place is just beautiful.

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
well our tracks are the same color

SideLine Shooter
July 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I'm sure all the App fans appreciate the complements. You should really see the inside.

Blowing Rock is a neat little town. I spend about half my time there. It is a great area.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Cowell Stadium gets its criticism, but it's not in the bottom 10 of I-AA stadia. Could it be better? Sure, but that takes some work at the state level.

NHwildEcat
July 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cowell Stadium gets its criticism, but it's not in the bottom 10 of I-AA stadia. Could it be better? Sure, but that takes some work at the state level.

I have been holding my breath and I am about to pass out...

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Nope... It's got a track around it. Can't have a great stadium with a track around it.

:D

wr70beh
July 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Nope... It's got a track around it. Can't have a great stadium with a track around it.

:D

The last 5 National Champions currently play in stadiums with tracks around them.

ngineer
July 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Overall, impressive. The only problem I'd have is the lower level seats seem to have a very low pitch making it difficult to see people in front, if you have some tall people there. The upper level has a much better pitch for viewing the whole field. Looks like a very picturesque venue, though.

SideLine Shooter
July 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Overall, impressive. The only problem I'd have is the lower level seats seem to have a very low pitch making it difficult to see people in front, if you have some tall people there. The upper level has a much better pitch for viewing the whole field. Looks like a very picturesque venue, though.

It really is not a problem. Most of that seating is student seating and they stand the whole time.

OL FU
July 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM

The only problem with it is the friggin' place is packed with hillbilliesxrolleyesx

SideLine Shooter
July 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
The only problem with it is the friggin' place is packed with hillbilliesxrolleyesx

ain't it WONDERFUL!!!! Just like heaven on earth.xthumbsupxxnodxxhurrayxxthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
July 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
It's a fantastic venue....the lower level seat angle isn't a problem. Sat in the lower leve, far left of the visitor's side in the second photo. Great place to watch the game, especially the late 4th quarter field goal and safety on 9/12/2009 ;)

In all seriousness, this was my favorite trip as a college football fan...fantastic stadium, fantastic program, fantastic fans, fantastic scenery in the surrounding area....I'd move there, except it would mean I'd be too far away from Lake Charles and Cowboy Stadium on fall Saturdays ;)

SFA 71
July 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
The only problem I'd have is the lower level seats seem to have a very low pitch making it difficult to see people in front, if you have some tall people there. The upper level has a much better pitch for viewing the whole field.
I think the worst stadium I have been to is Kyle Field at Texas A&M. The lower section is at about a 5 degree incline. I hate the tradition of standing all game. From what I understand, the old Aggies have learned enough that they now sit during the game while the young ones stand. If God had wanted fans to stand the whole game, He wouldn't have put seats there.
On second thought, the stadium in Runge, Texas (pop. 1100) might be just a little worse.
xtwocentsx

McNeese75
July 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I think the worst stadium I have been to is Kyle Field at Texas A&M. The lower section is at about a 5 degree incline. I hate the tradition of standing all game. From what I understand, the old Aggies have learned enough that they now sit during the game while the young ones stand. If God had wanted fans to stand the whole game, He wouldn't have put seats there.
On second thought, the stadium in Runge, Texas (pop. 1100) might be just a little worse.
xtwocentsx

I do not remember the incline in the lower section but I sure do remember it was one HOT mofo in the corner where they cram visiting fans xnodx

Pard94
July 30th, 2010, 10:45 AM
My wife is a professional equestrian and we both live and work in NH. As such she participates in the horse shows at UNH at least a couple of times a year (FYI...UNH has a hell of an Equine Science program). These shows take place in the shadow of UNH's football "stadium". As I have said numerous times, how one of the better football teams in the nation plays in that facility is beyond me. Especially when you consider the hockey venue (The Whittemore Center) which sits about 200 yards away is one of the nicest college sports venues I have ever seen. I'm telling you...if UNH ever got the football facilities they deserve it would be frightening how good they could be. I have to imagine a certain amount of recruits and probably coaches are turned off by the barely glorified high school stadium they play in currently. The Wildcats deserve better!

SideLine Shooter
July 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I do not remember the incline in the lower section but I sure do remember it was one HOT mofo in the corner where they cram visiting fans xnodx

it was warm that day but you were lucky. i believe that was the only home game that it didn't rain.

UCMoc
July 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
(FYI...UNH has a hell of an Equine Science program).

I believe you were referring to their cheerleaders.

AppStsGr8
July 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Packed is right! We hillbillies do love our Mountaineers!

DFW HOYA
July 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
xtwocentsx

The lower portion of Kyle Field was the original 1924 stadium--everything was built up around it. Kyle Field is a GREAT place to watch a game unless you're in visitor's seating, which extend beyond the south end zone.

Only students stand throughout but they are are on the entire east side so it doesn't get in anyone's way. The "old army" tends to sit when appropriate.

Skjellyfetti
July 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Hmmmm. You could have said the same thing about Paladin Stadium in 2009. :)

FormerPokeCenter
July 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
it was warm that day but you were lucky. i believe that was the only home game that it didn't rain.

He was referring to Kyle Field, where the Texas Aggies play....

It was nice and comfortable in Boone on 9/12/2009 ;) Coming from high 90's and 90% humidity to the cool, rareified air of Boone was like a vacation! ;)

SFA 71
July 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
The lower portion of Kyle Field was the original 1924 stadium--everything was built up around it. Kyle Field is a GREAT place to watch a game unless you're in visitor's seating, which extend beyond the south end zone.

Only students stand throughout but they are are on the entire east side so it doesn't get in anyone's way. The "old army" tends to sit when appropriate.

I have a feeling that you must be (as they say) a former student. I went there for a HS playoff game several years ago. Let me repeat that part.... a HIGH SCHOOL game. The place is pretty packed & I am forced to sit on the lower section when another aggie, I soon realize, shows up & sits down in front of me. When the game starts, the aggie stands. Let me repeat that part also...the ONE aggie in the section or the whole side of the stadium...STANDS up. No one else stands but him. When I asked him why he's standing, he says Aggies always stand at Kyle Field. I mentioned the obvious, this isn't a Aggie game. Apparently it made no difference. Moron.

OL FU
July 30th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hmmmm. You could have said the same thing about Paladin Stadium in 2009. :)

I always hope that when you guys come to Paladin Stadium your tastes in wine and cheese might improve.

All I saw was Cheez whiz and a lot of whizzingxrolleyesx:D

I think some of our oaks didn't survivexeyebrowx

Longhorn
July 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
I went there for a HS playoff game several years ago. Let me repeat that part.... a HIGH SCHOOL game. The place is pretty packed & I am forced to sit on the lower section when another aggie, I soon realize, shows up & sits down in front of me. When the game starts, the aggie stands. Let me repeat that part also...the ONE aggie in the section or the whole side of the stadium...STANDS up. No one else stands but him. When I asked him why he's standing, he says Aggies always stand at Kyle Field. I mentioned the obvious, this isn't a Aggie game. Apparently it made no difference. Moron.

Too funny. Well, in his defense, what did you expect? He was afterall, an Aggie/Moron. Or as Bugs Bunny might say..."a maroon"...which of coures, explains A&M's main team color.

SU DOG
July 31st, 2010, 10:34 AM
I was awed by this place on my visit there last year, and it certainly lives up to hype. However, it was raining like a monsoon and I hurried to the roofed area. NO GOOD. The covered part was deceptive in that it poured like a sieve. LOL

smcwildcat
July 31st, 2010, 02:59 PM
as I believe I have stated before.....there is plans for a new stadium only issue is the college itself must raise close to 30 mill. on our own...since NH has no sales tax we do not get money from the state....that said the new stadium will fully redo both sides, the home side would be where the away stands are now. On the other side a new weight room coaches office etc. will go in......that is if we ever get the money so maybe by 2020 we will have a new stadium ;)

rufus
August 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM
as I believe I have stated before.....there is plans for a new stadium only issue is the college itself must raise close to 30 mill. on our own...since NH has no sales tax we do not get money from the state....that said the new stadium will fully redo both sides, the home side would be where the away stands are now. On the other side a new weight room coaches office etc. will go in......that is if we ever get the money so maybe by 2020 we will have a new stadium ;)

Most states don't allow tax money to be spent on athletics. Another way to raise the cash is to issue a bond, and pay it back over the years with ticket revenue, student fees, athletic donations, etc. For a state university with a decent credit rating, a bond is probably the most effective means to raise money for a stadium. Think about it this way - you don't save up to buy a house with cash. You put some money down and finance the rest. Even if a university has the cash on hand, it may make more sense to finance the project, as the return the university can earn on the cash is likely greater than the interest they will pay on the bond.

AppStsGr8
August 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
That Samford game was definitely in a downpour. I took the whole rainsuit up for every game last year ... and needed it most times. This year, I'm trying to figure out how to put wipers on my glasses so everything doesn't look quite so spotted. No matter ... Kidd Brewer is awesome rain or shine!

Jiggs
August 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
I was awed by this place on my visit there last year, and it certainly lives up to hype. However, it was raining like a monsoon and I hurried to the roofed area. NO GOOD. The covered part was deceptive in that it poured like a sieve. LOL

1) It was a good time - even in the rain.
2) Armanti Edwards made the most unbelievable play I've ever seen.
3) Looking forward to some drier weather in '11.

AppStsGr8
August 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/6772819

Here's a replay of the "Nintendo meet Harry Houdini" play. That was just amazing.