PDA

View Full Version : What it means to wear a GSU football uniform...

SaintDK10
July 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOlKDErNJk&feature=player_embedded

SideLine Shooter
July 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOlKDErNJk&feature=player_embedded

Wait, I thought this was about The GSU. My mistake.

OL FU
July 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
GSU in Purple. I like itxthumbsupx

busybee14
July 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
**** ,I thought this was about Georgia Southern and the sweet classic uni's and tradition.

The Cats
July 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
What it means to wear a GSU football uniform...

How can it mean anything.....to wear a GaSt football uniform when they've never even played a game?

MplsBison
July 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.gsu.edu/

http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
With all due respect to Grambling, for most serious long term I-AA/FCS fans, "GSU" conjures up images of only one program. And it ain't Georgia State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhrp2Gjnv4

busybee14
July 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I prefer this gem from 07 vs Appy St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as

JMUNJ08
July 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
That panther yell at the end is hilarious. JMU tried a snarling/growling dog sound a few years back...lets just say no one got pumped by it...

Otherwise, do all schools have so much meaning behind their uniforms???

Skjellyfetti
July 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I like how they tried to find some deep meaning for the two stripes on their shoulder.

Two stripes = southern football tradition? Really? xlolx

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Meaningful, or not, those are still pretty bland uniforms.

As for the "southern football" thing, maybe they should put two ruts in the shoulder pads to signify Sherman's march to the sea.

This stuff is almost as funny as Curry's blog on their fan site. Namedrop much, Bill?

SideLine Shooter
July 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Sounds like they are trying hard to say they have a tradition when they actually have 0 tradition.

Sorry, that is just the way I see it.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I can only imagine how excited the Georgia State fans are - good for them and their school...

As for this video, I'll give it a 3 on scale of 1-10. Some schools intro videos, not only SDSU's, have left me with chills! This video left me feeling sorry for this dude wearing the #10 jersey.

PantherRob82
July 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hope their season is better than the jersey and the video. :)

henfan
July 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
GSU in Purple. I like itxthumbsupx

Silly script with all of the 10th grade metaphors. The least GSU could have done was get jerseys that come close in color to the helmets. Purple and blue. Ouch!

Gringer1
July 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM
What it means to wear a Georgia State uniform:
You really want attention, but haven't actually done anything yet.
Your athletic department went to WalMart and bought a few $10 jerseys off the bargain rack.
You are a proud member of the 4th most important team in town. Right behind Georgia Tech, Morehouse, and Clark Atlanta.
You play in a rented stadium filled to 5% capacity with mildly amused spectators.

State fans, it is perfectly OK to be excited about your new team. Just don't expect everybody else to feel the same. We all love our teams and love bragging about them... after they accomplish something.

SaintDK10
July 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Not sure why everyone is ripping on the symbolism of the uniform. GSU colors used to be crimson red after the city seal, which is why the "GSU" logo is underlined with red. The fact that we created a brand new font to honor our first ever school president was a genuine gesture, I thought, but I guess that seems "10th" grade to some people. GSU may just now be starting a football tradition, but the school itself has a century-long history of growth and transformation, intertwined with the city and the state itself. The uniform design was meant to reflect those changes, and not imply any sort of football history like some appear to think.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the purple is coming from because this is about as blue as blue gets, helmet and the jersey.

Gringer1
July 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad179/Splaination/Purple.jpg

Hope that clears up the purple questions.

SaintDK10
July 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hope that clears up the purple questions.

Yes, I know the jersey looks purple in the video, which is why I said I don't know where the purple is coming from since the jersey is blue. I guess it must be the lighting they used or the hue when they edited the video. Willie will probably know better than anyone.

seantaylor
July 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Those are easily the least desirable uni's in the FCS.

Tribe4SF
July 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE=SaintDK10;1535610]Not sure why everyone is ripping on the symbolism of the uniform. GSU colors used to be crimson red after the city seal, which is why the "GSU" logo is underlined with red. The fact that we created a brand new font to honor our first ever school president was a genuine gesture, I thought, but I guess that seems "10th" grade to some people. GSU may just now be starting a football tradition, but the school itself has a century-long history of growth and transformation, intertwined with the city and the state itself. The uniform design was meant to reflect those changes, and not imply any sort of football history like some appear to think.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the purple is coming from because this is about as blue as blue gets, helmet and the jersey.

[QUOTE]

It's all a stretch, but the two bars representing southern football tradition is just silly. Nice touch with the font named for the first president, but the font doesn't come off very well on a football uniform.

wr70beh
July 30th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Wait, I thought this was about Georgia Southern? Or Grambling State?

Just because you own the domain to gsu.edu doesn't mean you are the only GSU out there.

OL FU
July 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Silly script with all of the 10th grade metaphors. The least GSU could have done was get jerseys that come close in color to the helmets. Purple and blue. Ouch!

Well I was talking about the real GSU being in purple which of course would never happen. I agree on the purple jerseys and blue helmets.

SpeedkingATL
July 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
What it means to wear a GSU football uniform...

What it means is that the players on this years GaSt team are the first to wear the GaSt uniform, which for those young men is pretty **** cool. Speaking of GSU and football tradition, one would certainly think of the plain uniforms of GaSo which has certainly built a legacy and tradition in the state of GA. GaSo is the brand name of football GSUs in the state of GA and with all due respect to Grambling the FCS/1-AA. 6 National Championships earns that right.

OL FU
July 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
It's all a stretch, but the two bars representing southern football tradition is just silly. Nice touch with the font named for the first president, but the font doesn't come off very well on a football uniform.

The All blue looks better.

State Line Liquors
July 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Typically football pants merely serve as a means to stick a few thigh and knee pads in, and cover up a young man's junk while he's on the football field. At Georgia State, the pants signify honor and integrity...xeyebrowx

PhoenixSupreme
July 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM
You can make any article of clothing represent anything if you try hard enough and put your mind into it.

SO ILLmatic
July 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Needs some more red on it. Outline the numbers, the script, pant stripe - just something else besides the red line under GSU on the helmet.

GSUsTALON
July 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I was hoping someone from PantherTalk.com would post something about the Real GSU on this site.
For the longest time Panther fans have stated that no one knew about Georgia Southern University football program outside of the southern region. That GSU stood for Georgia State University not Grambling or Georgia Southern University. Panther fans state that 90% of sports fans identify GSU with Georgia State University not Georgia Southern. I doubt that’s true, but in the 1aa world of football I’m glad to see that we still garner some respect from other 1aa fans even after a miserable 4 years of coaching changes and experimentation.

I think its time for a Georgia Southern vs Georgia State showdown to determan the REAL GSU in the state of Georgia.

PhoenixSupreme
July 30th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I was hoping someone from PantherTalk.com would post something about the Real GSU on this site.
For the longest time Panther fans have stated that no one knew about Georgia Southern University football program outside of the southern region. That GSU stood for Georgia State University not Grambling or Georgia Southern University. Panther fans state that 90% of sports fans identify GSU with Georgia State University not Georgia Southern. I doubt that’s true, but in the 1aa world of football I’m glad to see that we still garner some respect from other 1aa fans even after a miserable 4 years of coaching changes and experimentation.

I think its time for a Georgia Southern vs Georgia State showdown to determan the REAL GSU in the state of Georgia.

You guys can play yearly for the rights to the initials

panama
July 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I told Saint not to post this. Although having gone to the real GSU in Downtown Atlanta this was an emotional video, especially the mention of the Sparks font. My first ever class was in Sparks Hall. But this was a pointless post Saint. Nobody cares outside of us and you already know how much we're hated for not staying in FCS.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 30th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I told Saint not to post this. Although having gone to the real GSU in Downtown Atlanta this was an emotional video, especially the mention of the Sparks font. My first ever class was in Sparks Hall. But this was a pointless post Saint. Nobody cares outside of us and you already know how much we're hated for not staying in FCS.

Wait, you guys are already planning on dropping to DII?

Seven Would Be Nice
July 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=SaintDK10;1535610]Not sure why everyone is ripping on the symbolism of the uniform. GSU colors used to be crimson red after the city seal, which is why the "GSU" logo is underlined with red. The fact that we created a brand new font to honor our first ever school president was a genuine gesture, I thought, but I guess that seems "10th" grade to some people. GSU may just now be starting a football tradition, but the school itself has a century-long history of growth and transformation, intertwined with the city and the state itself. The uniform design was meant to reflect those changes, and not imply any sort of football history like some appear to think.

QUOTE]

To quote someone on the GSU board, It looks like that sweet new custom font was cut out of paper by a 2nd grader with safety scissors and glued onto a purple trash bag.

Sweet video though... for a second you made me forget about Apps, HOT HOT HOT video. xhurrayx

panama
July 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
We were GSU 30 years before those icowtippers in Statesboro so stop being envious. It still kills me that if a new program has aspirations beyond your institution's then there has to be attacks because of your own situation. We have over 30, 000 students in a city of 6 million and you expect us to aspire to be what? Georgia Southern? Georgia Southern was successful in FCS precisely because they are NOT in Atlanta. They are a regional university in south GA and they have successfully used that as their base as there is no other university in the area. Schools like GSU and UTSA have a different situation whereby if we're in FCS in 5 years we will be toast. I posted a question on LinkedIn regarding buying season tickets and attending the first game and why some might not. That was like on Monday and it has 26 responses. I also got like 10 or 12 emails. At least a third are asking why we're not scheduling ACC or SEC opponents in the Dome. So these are alumni with an expectation of seeing GSU play big name opponents in the Dome. That is the reality.

Wait, I thought this was about Georgia Southern? Or Grambling State?

Just because you own the domain to gsu.edu doesn't mean you are the only GSU out there.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah right. LOL! I cant wait until the August ESPN the Magazine comes out. Face it, we have resources and connections you can only hope for. And as for who is the real GSU, that will be a moot point after our helmet appears on a national magazine cover and on national TV this fall.

Wait, you guys are already planning on dropping to DII?

Seven Would Be Nice
July 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
We were GSU 30 years before those cowtippers in Statesboro so stop being envious. It still kills me that if a new program has aspirations beyond your institution's then there has to be attacks because of your own situation. We have over 30, 000 students in a city of 6 million and you expect us to aspire to be what? Georgia Southern? Georgia Southern was successful in FCS precisely because they are NOT in Atlanta. They are a regional university in south GA and they have successfully used that as their base as there is no other university in the area. Schools like GSU and UTSA have a different situation whereby if we're in FCS in 5 years we will be toast. I posted a question on LinkedIn regarding buying season tickets and attending the first game and why some might not. That was like on Monday and it has 26 responses. I also got like 10 or 12 emails. At least a third are asking why we're not scheduling ACC or SEC opponents in the Dome. So these are alumni with an expectation of seeing GSU play big name opponents in the Dome. That is the reality.

The reality is that because you aren't playing SEC or ACC teams, no one will show up. Even if you are FBS in 5 years (good luck with that...) people will only come to see their favorite teams stomp GaState into the fake turf.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah right. LOL! I cant wait until the August ESPN the Magazine comes out. Face it, we have resources and connections you can only hope for. And as for who is the real GSU, that will be a moot point after our helmet appears on a national magazine cover and on national TV this fall.

...and in the article they have to explain that they are not Georgia Southern's new uniforms. (Thank God!!) :D

PantherRob82
July 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I don't think most of us have a hate for Georgia State. We just think you might have unreal expectations. If you guys want to go FBS, more power to you, but don't expect us to pump your team the way you do. You haven't shown anything and haven't earned anything.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I dont expect you to pump my team at all nor do I care about yours. The unrreal expectations crap is just that, crap. I'll pose a multi part question. Who were the last 6 programs to move up to FBS? Name one that has better resources than GSU? (Resources = Metro Area size, in state recruiting base, stadium, coach, alumni base, student base)

If you can show me how we dont meet or exceed the last 6 programs in resources then it may be unrealistic. But having done the research I already know the answer.

The real problem I have is two fold. 1) The notion that because we are just now getting a football team that somehow we are unknowledgeable about football and FCS football in particular. 2) The notion that the want (I say need given our situation) to move to FCS is somehow a slap at FCS football.

I can tell you that that is not the case on either of those points. I love football period. But I do not want this to be another post-Lefty Dreissel nightmare where people dont come to games because we're playing Stetson in basketball.

I don't think most of us have a hate for Georgia State. We just think you might have unreal expectations. If you guys want to go FBS, more power to you, but don't expect us to pump your team the way you do. You haven't shown anything and haven't earned anything.

State Line Liquors
July 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Good luck with everything. I think it's terrific what you folks are aspiring to. There's no reason to believe in a few years you folks can't be doing some pretty excellent things.

But if I can just throw a flag on the Georgia State circle jerk for a second....how come a school with all your resources, connections, Atlanta based media resouces, etc, couldn't come up with hype video any better than this one? The jersey obviously looks purple. The justification for the uniform features is completely bloviated and absurd. The completely unintimidating looking athlete in the dressing room. et. al.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
The video was directed towards GSU students and alumni. Sparks Hall I think was the first building at GSU. It certainly is the oldest. I can remember IN PERSON class registration there in 1987. My Gawd, the lines were so long that it took a full day to register go t financial aid and pay in three separate lines in the same building.

I dont know why it looks purple except for the low dramatic lighting in the locker room. It looked blue yesterday when I saw it on my laptop at work. I will have to watch it again.

I have never met an intimidating looking DB

Good luck with everything. I think it's terrific what you folks are aspiring to. There's no reason to believe in a few years you folks can't be doing some pretty excellent things.

But if I can just throw a flag on the Georgia State circle jerk for a second....how come a school with all your resources, connections, Atlanta based media resouces, etc, couldn't come up with hype video any better than this one? The jersey obviously looks purple. The justification for the uniform features is completely bloviated and absurd. The completely unintimidating looking athlete in the dressing room. et. al.

Skjellyfetti
July 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I have never met an intimidating looking DB

You should meet Mark Legree sometime.

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I dont expect you to pump my team at all nor do I care about yours. The unrreal expectations crap is just that, crap. I'll posee a multi part question. Who were the last 6 programs to move up to FBS? Name one that has better resources than GSU? (Resources = Metro Area size, in state recruiting base, stadium, coach, alumni base, student base)

If you can show me how we dont meet or exceed the last 6 programs in resources then it may be unrealistic. But having done the research I already know the answer.

The real problem I have is two fold. 1) The notion that because we are just now getting a football team that somehow we are unknowledgeable about football and FCS football in particular. 2) The notion that the want (I say need given our situation) to move to FCS is somehow a slap at FCS football.

I can tell you that that is not the case on either of those points. I love football period. But I do not want this to be another post-Lefty Dreissel nightmare where people dont come to games because we're playing Stetson in basketball.

Fair points. Georgia State is a huge school in a major city, so one would think resources and potential fan support will be there. However, a lot of things have to go right for GSU to become a player and most notable is finding a BCS conference. Many of the FBS schools outside of the power structure have resources and fan support equal to the top FCS schools. In FBS its all about the conference.

Also Georgia State is in Atlanta, but so is Georgia Tech. The Jackets have been playing foootball at a pretty high level for quite some time, and are ready to win big under Johnson. Also I gotta think most casual college football fans in GA still root for the Dawgs.

FIU and FAU may be a good example for GSU. Both are of similar size as GSU and have a fairly large commuter students base. Thoose school have pursued FBS football in an agressive manner, but they are a bit stuck right now by nature of being in the Sun Belt. FAU also has a legendary head coach to lead and attract attention to the program, but for right now they appear to have met their ceiling.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I! Have never met a DB could intimidated ME! Period!

You should meet Mark Legree sometime.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Agreed, although the fact that both FIU and FAU are building on campus stadiums would indicate some level of support even in UM land. Best case scenario for GSU, USA and UTSA is USF. Worse case scenario in my mond is UAB. But we know for fact that BECAUSE we have GT and UGA in this area that FCS football is not a long term compettion success model. UTSA is being agressive for the same exact reason. But I see no reason why another FBS program cannot be succesful in a state with a pop. of 10 million.

FIU and FAU may be a good example for GSU. Both are of similar size as GSU and have a fairly large commuter students base. Thoose school have pursued FBS football in an agressive manner, but they are a bit stuck right now by nature of being in the Sun Belt. FAU also has a legendary head coach to lead and attract attention to the program, but for right now they appear to have met their ceiling.

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I! Have never met a DB could intimidated ME! Period!

I'm pretty sure Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and guys of that mold would intimidate you.

panama
July 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM
This isnt a pissing contest. Suffice it to say I dont get intimidated.

I'm pretty sure Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and guys of that mold would intimidate you.

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM

You are really cool.

Eaglefan1
July 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Taken from the Georgia State board.

Here is the trash they are talking over there on the Georgia State message board about FCS football and Georgia Southern. I think everyone on this board would agree that Georgia Southern has earned the right to be called THE REAL GSU. Would you agree?

Originally Posted by eaglefan

Saint.....You got blown the **** up on the FCS board. I would have never posted that second rate video on that board, you made your alma mater look bush league. Obviously, yourself and a handful of State fans think your worthy of being THE GSU. Thats fine and I won't try and take the from you, however, the rest of the world knows that Georgia Southern is the real GSU. Remeber, D-BAG, we have 6 National Championships to back our name.....what you do have?

Written by Saint ( Georgia State Fan)

Allow me to explain a couple of things to you in terms than even an inbred such as yourself can understand. See, in your feeble little mind, a site like AGS is the microcosm of the "football world." But in reality, AGS is not even a blip on the radar of college football world. If you seriously think that the majority of 6,233 total members of AGS who associate GSU with Georgia Southern are even remotely comparable to the millions of people that will associate GSU with Georgia State once we make the ESPN cover, then you truly are the dumbest creature ever to crawl on this planet.

Kindly go back to reminiscing about the glory days of FCS football, and just sit back, relax and watch the show that will be Georgia State University Football for the next 5 - 10 years. Your Hill Billy pathetic little 3 million dollar budget program is peanuts now compared to ours, and just wait and see what will happen over the course of the next decade. Just like majority of Southern inbred fans, you'll be shining my shoes in front of the Dome once we pay Southern for an annual beatdown to get us tuned up for some real FBS competition.
Sincerely,

The fan of the REAL GSU

SaintDK10
July 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Uhh, buddy, let me let you in on a little secret. Panama was a 280-pound lineman. The only thing Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott would do is hope he would lay them down gently and use lube.

Anyway, back on topic here with regards to the GSU uniform. It seems to me that many here have a misguided notion that this video was supposed to conjure up feelings of intimidation, which I think is hilarious.

Now, while some snicker at the symbolism of the uniform as some sort of over-embellishment, the fact of the matter is that a lot thought went into the design and colors of the uniforms, from creating the new GSU logo to creating a font honoring our first president. The end result may be too bland for some, but to hear Southern fans talking about the blandness of our uniform is just flat out hysterical. I've seen Southern fans post the same SI link about how their uniform was voted Top 10, and while I love that they think some opinion piece is the affirmation of everything, the fact remains that Southern copied Alabama uniforms to the very last detail, and simply changed the color from Crimson to Navy blue.

So if you think that a school that started their football tradition 30 years ago by ripping off 'Bama uniforms is somehow better than a school that actually did something original for their uniforms, then this is all a moot point as far as I'm concerned. All this talk can't end soon enough. I can't wait for some football to be finally played.

GATA
July 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
well...I think the uniform looks pretty nice. It's simple...crisp. not bad. I don't know about all that other nonsense in the video, but I do like the design.

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Uhh, buddy, let me let you in on a little secret. Panama was a 280-pound lineman. The only thing Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott would do is hope he would lay them down gently and use lube.

Anyway, back on topic here with regards to the GSU uniform. It seems to me that many here have a misguided notion that this video was supposed to conjure up feelings of intimidation, which I think is hilarious. I mean, we're talking about the usual suspects for the most part, many southern fans, and of course, TribeSF14, the little *****-talking liar that trolls every FCS board imaginable spewing garbage as if he has a Master's degree in it.

Now, while some snicker at the symbolism of the uniform as some sort of over-embellishment, the fact of the matter is that a lot thought went into the design and colors of the uniforms, from creating the new GSU logo to creating a font honoring our first president. The end result may be too bland for some, but to hear Southern fans talking about the blandness of our uniform is just flat out hysterical. I've seen Southern fans post the same SI link about how their uniform was voted Top 10, and while I love that they think some opinion piece is the affirmation of everything, the fact remains that Southern copied Alabama uniforms to the very last detail, and simply changed the color from Crimson to Navy blue.

So if you think that a school that started their football tradition 30 years ago by ripping off 'Bama uniforms is somehow better than a school that actually did something original for their uniforms, then this is all a moot point as far as I'm concerned. All this talk can't end soon enough. I can't wait for some football to be finally played.

I was also a 280 lineman. Where did Panama play his college football is he is a GSU alum?

ValleyBoy
July 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
No one could care less what your uniforms look like Saint until your team proves that they can beat someone. I would rather GaSt play there game in a football uniform instead of playing the game in the buff. Talk is cheap. So what if one teams uniform looks like a copy of another university uniform. SIX FLAG'S ON THE POLE shows that uniform has gained respect. State has no respect until they earn it on the field.

Aho_Old_Guy
July 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Based upon this thread (and some of the responses herein), I believe I'll beat the rush and just start hatin' now.

I just can't think of better words than 'bravado' and 'hubris' at the moment. (well, I can, but common decency and the expletive-bleeper prevent me from using them)

Go...gate
July 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
**** ,I thought this was about Georgia Southern and the sweet classic uni's and tradition.

Right. They have the best uniforms, hands down.

Bogus Megapardus
July 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM
That's a pretty funny video.

RabidRabbit
July 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
xflaggedx Ok guys, knock off the personal attacks. xshakingmadx

Also watch the pic size that you post. Need to be less than 200X600.

PERSONAL ATTACKS – Not acceptable, even in the smack section.

FLAME BAITING – Some topics raise great emotion. Posting something in FCS Discussion that is intended to draw the ire of the other side of a debate and adds nothing to the discussion at hand is considered flame baiting and won't be tolerated.

I'm cleaning up this thread of personal attacks, and too large pics.

Be nice or stay off the computer until you can be! xcoolx

elon77
July 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Fair points. Georgia State is a huge school in a major city, so one would think resources and potential fan support will be there. However, a lot of things have to go right for GSU to become a player and most notable is finding a BCS conference. Many of the FBS schools outside of the power structure have resources and fan support equal to the top FCS schools. In FBS its all about the conference.

Also Georgia State is in Atlanta, but so is Georgia Tech. The Jackets have been playing foootball at a pretty high level for quite some time, and are ready to win big under Johnson. Also I gotta think most casual college football fans in GA still root for the Dawgs.

It is my opinion, and they are like butts everyone has one, if any team in the CAA has the potential to move up to FBS it is ODU. They are different than GA. State in that they are the only game in town. They do not compete against the NFL and another large FBS school. ODU has a huge population to pull from and they showed what they could accomplish in their first year. But, if they moved to FBS who and what conference would they play in? ACC, no; Big East, probably not; Conference USA, like East Carolina that's a lot of traveling for them. I think it will be many years before Ga. State can jump to FBS and I still think ODU could get there faster if they wanted to. But hey, set your sights high, you don't want to set your sights on club football do you?

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
It is my opinion, and they are like butts everyone has one, if any team in the CAA has the potential to move up to FBS it is ODU. They are different than GA. State in that they are the only game in town. They do not compete against the NFL and another large FBS school. ODU has a huge population to pull from and they showed what they could accomplish in their first year. But, if they moved to FBS who and what conference would they play in? ACC, no; Big East, probably not; Conference USA, like East Carolina that's a lot of traveling for them. I think it will be many years before Ga. State can jump to FBS and I still think ODU could get there faster if they wanted to. But hey, set your sights high, you don't want to set your sights on club football do you?

ODU's fan support in their inagural season was incredibly impressive. They already had better attendance than a number of FBS schools.

However, once again as you state its all about the conference.

elon77
July 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
ODU's fan support in their inagural season was incredibly impressive. They already had better attendance than a number of FBS schools.

However, once again as you state its all about the conference.

Living a tater toss away from ODU it has been amazing to see what they have done. Their football facilities are second to none, from their offices, training, practice fields and stadium. They sold out every home game last year, months in advance, and I believe they could have put 25000 to 30000 fans in their stadium each home game. Their start up program has been very, very impressive. Sorry, I didn't mean to steal this away from the Ga. State fans, I will shutup now.

The Cats
July 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Nobody cares outside of us and you already know how much we're hated for not staying in FCS.

Oh sorry, we didn't realize you had already skipped the FCS xoopsx

.....and gone on to FBS. Good Luck.

JohnStOnge
July 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I suspect that if you just asked the general public to identify who "GSU" is, it'd be Grambling. If you ask fans of I-AA/FCS football over the years who "GSU" is, it'd be Georgia Southern.

I seriously, seriously doubt that Georgia State will enjoy the kind of success Georgia Southern did in starting up its program. Always possible, but very unlikely. It's just very unlikely that any program is going to win 6 national championships through a playoff system over 16 years. And that's what Georgia Southern did.

GSUsTALON
August 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
That video left a lump in my throat . Good thing I had an ice cold 6 pac on hand to numb the pain. Its a shame that I lost the contents of those cans spewing them on the keyboard.

Panama, as I stated the BLUE uniforms and helmet logo is fine but the video has enough corn in it to run all the stills in Statesboro for a year or more. I’m thinking about plugging my computer into my private adult beverage maker and having it recycle the video over and over. If the perpetual corn feed works out then I’ll surpass the Jack Daniel’s distillery in two years. Of course I’d donate some of the product to you and Saint to wash down your Saturday’s wows

SideLine Shooter
August 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
That video left a lump in my throat . Good thing I had an ice cold 6 pac on hand to numb the pain. Its a shame that I lost the contents of those cans spewing them on the keyboard.

Panama, as I stated the BLUE uniforms and helmet logo is fine but the video has enough corn in it to run all the stills in Statesboro for a year or more. I’m thinking about plugging my computer into my private adult beverage maker and having it recycle the video over and over. If the perpetual corn feed works out then I’ll surpass the Jack Daniel’s distillery in two years. Of course I’d donate some of the product to you and Saint to wash down your Saturday’s wows

I think that pretty much covers that.

Big Al
August 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
I suspect that if you just asked the general public to identify who "GSU" is, it'd be Grambling. If you ask fans of I-AA/FCS football over the years who "GSU" is, it'd be Georgia Southern.

Actually, I bet most people would guess Georgia State -- not because they know of Georgia State but rather because they would do a quick letter association, "G is for Georgia and S is for State" kind of thing.

GSUsTALON
August 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Actually, I bet most people would guess Georgia State -- not because they know of Georgia State but rather because they would do a quick letter association, "G is for Georgia and S is for State" kind of thing.

Being a 1aa fan what did you think when GSU was mentioned?

SpeedkingATL
August 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm personally glad to see GaSt start their program here in Atlanta. If they ever play at home when App State has a bye week I will happily drive to the Dome to see them, especially if they are playing one of the top CAA teams. I mentioned this to a number of the guys at my office and they had no idea GaSt was starting a program...most are either UGA or Ivy grads so that doesn't really surprise me. As for competing with GA Tech, this state is so pro UGA that Tech gets little support from the general public in ATL. Hopefully GaSt will do better with many of their grads still residing around the city.

Cocky
August 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Haven't watched the video but it sounds like marketing your program. I for one, have never referred to any of the above mentioned programs as GSU.

JSU02
August 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Haven't watched the video but it sounds like marketing your program. I for one, have never referred to any of the above mentioned programs as GSU.

Well you need to, its a pretty good laugh. My favorite part is the line about the stripes xhurrayx

proasu89
August 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM

I had suspected that Chuck Norris trolled this board.

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
I had suspected that Chuck Norris trolled this board.

But Panama was a 280 lb. lineman. Must've been difficult to play for GSU when they didnt have a team.

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm just now reading this thread, which is perhaps one of the more entertaining threads I've ever read....

You dont have to actually HAVE a copy of the DSM-IV to enjoy this thread, but it certainly helps you keep score ;)

parr90
August 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
But Panama was a 280 lb. lineman. Must've been difficult to play for GSU when they didnt have a team.

Thats what Im talking about Panama. Are you gonna answer the question? Where did you play?

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Haven't read the thread, but the board needs to come to a consensus on the GSU and GSU thing. I understand Ga. State folks are probably pretty used to the "GSU" moniker, but it's getting confusing :)

PhoenixSupreme
August 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I didn't really wanna get into the whole "who is GSU thing", but out of curiousity I phoned a friend who was from Atlanta to see what school he thought GSU stood for. He said that the people he knows call Georgia Southern "GSU" and Georgia State "GS". I would propose this but obviously there would be *ahem* certain opposition to that.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I didn't really wanna get into the whole "who is GSU thing", but out of curiousity I phoned a friend who was from Atlanta to see what school he thought GSU stood for. He said that the people he knows call Georgia Southern "GSU" and Georgia State "GS". I would propose this but obviously there would be *ahem* certain opposition to that.

I grew up in southwest Georgia, not really convenient to either school. People just called them Georgia State and Georgia Southern. I didn't pick up the GSU notation until I went to Furman. Both have full rights to the name--it's more a matter of personal convenience for people like me ;)

JSU02
August 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm just now reading this thread, which is perhaps one of the more entertaining threads I've ever read....

You dont have to actually HAVE a copy of the DSM-IV to enjoy this thread, but it certainly helps you keep score ;)
xthumbsupx

I was reading the other day that the DSM-V is actually considering adding a new condition called "Football Start-Up Disorder" characterized by 4 or more of the following symptoms present for 6 months or longer :

Must include: 1) Delusions of Grandeur and 2) Idealization of football coaching staff

And two or more of the following: 1)Paranoia, 2)Increase in goal directed activity (particularly internet postings) 3)Irritability, 4)pressured speech or typing, 5)proselytizing.

ValleyBoy
August 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM

From my understanding the Georgia University System lists Georgia Southern as GS and Georgia State as GSU. Several of us from Georgia Southern when we visit States board we refer to the two schools as GaSt and GaSo. We do like to mess with there brain.

GSUsTALON
August 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
xthumbsupx

I was reading the other day that the DSM-V is actually considering adding a new condition called "Football Start-Up Disorder" characterized by 4 or more of the following symptoms present for 6 months or longer :

Must include: 1) Delusions of Grandeur and 2) Idealization of football coaching staff

And two or more of the following: 1)Paranoia, 2)Increase in goal directed activity (particularly internet postings) 3)Irritability, 4)pressured speech or typing, 5)proselytizing.

JSU02- I like that so much may I use it on the PantherTalk site?

FormerPokeCenter
August 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Daignosing over the internet is dangerous, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that there are several people on this board thusly affected. Interestingly, they all live in Metro Atlanta. Conveniently, the CDC's Mental Health unit is nearby to help develop a protocol for this ;)

xthumbsupx