PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Bowl - General Discussion

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
BREAKING NEWS

TSPN has a thread reporting a "Legacy Bowl" in 2011 - Dec. 17, 2011 to be exact...

According to the post by our own SUjagTILLiDIE, $3M will be split between the MEAC and SWAC. The MEAC will send their regular season champion and the SWAC championship game will be no more.

This was reported on the Jaguar Journal radio show according to the poster, who said a press conference will held during the league's spring meetings.

http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89933

Skjellyfetti
May 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Does that mean MEAC won't be participating in playoffs anymore?

If so... I'd like to see the SoCon go after SC State

Syntax Error
May 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
this would not be a good thing

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM

I would assume, that unless the SWAC and MEAC received indications from the NCAA otherwise, that the MEAC would be unable to have an automatic berth into the NCAA Division I playoffs.

The date of this event falls right in the heart of the playoff schedule (mid-December), which would make it impossible to do so, unless the radio show is reporting incorrectly pertaining to the MEAC sending their champion.

I would like to see some more official source on the subject before speculating further - but would also like to see what fans from some of the MEAC schools who favor the playoffs think.

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
All I am going to say on this is the Potted Plant gets his wish. They also better be in talks with Honda to move up that Battle of the Bands to maximize people and $$$ flowing that weekend.

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM
And they decide to let the cat out of the bag right before Memorial Day Weekend. xbangx

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
And they decide to let the cat out of the bag right before Memorial Day Weekend. xbangx

The MEAC and SWAC did not really 'let the cat out of the bag'. It sounds like there was a leak from one of the two offices or schools within the league to the Jaguar Journal (so presumably Southern).

When are the league meetings? Figure they are in the next week or two to begin with - so we should know more, especially as different media sources begin to question the SWAC and/or MEAC on what is developing.

Thankfully, the MEAC and SWAC media do a fairly decent job at covering their schools (particularly for the SWAC's case - Southern, Grambling and JSU) - so we should have more details in the next few days.

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The MEAC and SWAC did not really 'let the cat out of the bag'. It sounds like there was a leak from one of the two offices or schools within the league to the Jaguar Journal (so presumably Southern).

When are the league meetings? Figure they are in the next week or two to begin with - so we should know more, especially as different media sources begin to question the SWAC and/or MEAC on what is developing.

Thankfully, the MEAC and SWAC media do a fairly decent job at covering their schools (particularly for the SWAC's case - Southern, Grambling and JSU) - so we should have more details in the next few days.

Right, a "leak". Well you already know how MOST MEACFans feel about this that roam these boards.

This will get ugly. xwhistlex

AggieManiac704
May 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Dumbest Idea Ever.....Why dont we just follow WSSU and go back to D2.....

danefan
May 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Perfect timing - MEAC gives up its AQ and the PFL takes it.

So the playoffs stay at 20 for the foreseeable future.

Saint3333
May 29th, 2010, 02:40 PM
NCAA tournaments (March Madness) allows for more at-large teams than AQ, if the MEAC does go through with this the playoffs will most likely stay at 20 with 11 at-large teams.

$$$ talks I guess in the case of the MEAC.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
NCAA tournaments (March Madness) allows for more at-large teams than AQ, if the MEAC does go through with this the playoffs will most likely stay at 20 with 11 at-large teams.

As brought up by the previous poster - it may not change, since the Pioneer League is very interested (and apparently has applied) to become an automatic qualifier.

This is the ever-evolving world of collegiate athletics. I'm just not convinced right now that the money was significant enough to leave the playoffs for this game, based on information we have now.

Guess we'll find out when the MEAC's talking heads are able to address the situation.

Pitbull
May 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
This is a major step backwards...It tells the rest of the world we don't want to try and compete so we will create our own mythical championship and be done with it..... xnonono2x

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
FYI - the MEAC Fans discussion...not a lot of discussion right now, a few posts. Something to keep an eye on...

http://www.meacfans.com/forums/showthread.php?12841-Potted-Plant-get-his-wish.-The-Legacy-Bowl-2011-Rumor

Pitbull
May 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
FYI - the MEAC Fans discussion...not a lot of discussion right now, a few posts. Something to keep an eye on...

http://www.meacfans.com/forums/showthread.php?12841-Potted-Plant-get-his-wish.-The-Legacy-Bowl-2011-Rumor

This is board where the discussion is heating up....MEACFans Zone....

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I had to register for the MEACFans Zone to read, but wanted to share a few comments from the people there, if you don't mind (do encourage everyone to join to read up!)...

MEAC fans...

I wouldn't be surprise if certain MEAC insititutions in Orangeburg, Tallahassee and maybe Daytona decides to jump ship for the BIG South Conference... Everybody know Joe Taylor and Oliver Pough are huge supporters of FCS playoffs and have desires about winning national title as well..

I will be sending an email to our President as to why I am NOT renewing my season tickets. If other fans did the same, I think there would be some things reconsidered. May I suggest someone getting a Facebook fan page to start a protest for fans of MEAC schools who refuse to buy or renew season tickets at the least and consider cutting down on the number of games they attend. Money talks and bullisht walks.

MEAC Fans on SWAC...

DaddyTiger: Eddie Robinson want to play best teams in nation during his time at Grambling.. Although Coach Rob didn't had much success in playoffs. At least he was committed to his goal of having teams facing best in College Football.. The same could be said about Doug Williams too...

I'm not against Legacy Bowl whatsoever.. But I am against medicority what SWAC has become over last decade.. Once upon a time, teams in SWAC was committed playing the best of the best in 1-aa football and particapting in PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!

Hmmm.....Coach Robinson was s true visionary...He understood the struggle we as minorities go through and cherished the idea of playing the very best in the nation....not just the black nation...but nation ...period...

DaddyTiger (SWAC Fan)

You guys are disgraceful. You could swear that y'all have won 20 FCS championships in a row. That is about as ignorant as the Sunbelt Conference champion not wanting to play in the New Orleans bowl because they wasn't extended an invitation to play in a BCS bowl. Money talks,but like I said maybe you guys are so rich that your conference don't need to spend a $1,500,000. I have seen some of y'all facilities and would only advise y'all to take the darn money.

A recruit is not playing in big games by playing in the FCS playoffs before 10,000 fans. I believe more recruits will be happier playing in the Legacy Bowl or whatever they want to call it.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I am not against or afraid of playing pwcs. They play 11 players on both sides of the ball just like everyone else. Their is not a single FCS pwc with the tradtion or heritage of Grambling. I am about us making the most money and revenue for our program. If that meant playing Southern Cal every year then I would be for it. All of you guys are talking shhhhit about the supposive Legacy Bowl without telling me about a plan to make more money by not playing in it. The FCS championship is one thing,but dollars and cents is something else. If we could make more money by playing in the FCS playoffs than playing in the Bayou Classic,then I would be all for cracking heads with the pwcs in the playoffs. If the MEAC is making more money by playing in the FCS playoffs than they could make in the Legacy Bowl,then more power to that. If not,then take the Legacy Bowl deal and schedule anyone you want. You shouldn't need to get approval of the pwcs to call yourself "Champs" if you win the games on your schedule. Instead of acting like you are attending a funeral,you should be rejoicing the extra revenue that the Legacy Bowl could bring your program so you can upgrade your facilities and pay our coaches more.

Jafus...

The MEAC presidents/chancellors will make or made this decision, not the MEAC athletic directors and or MEAC football coaches. The MEAC athletics directors and or MEAC football coaches were lucky if they were even aloud to voice an opinion. Finally, the MEAC presidents/chancellors will make or made this decision based on the economics they face in today's climate.

Pitbull
May 29th, 2010, 07:30 PM
No problem ...The MEACFANS Zone started because the MEACFans site went down for a long period of time w/o a time table for coming back up....You will find a lot of folks from the old board on this board now.....xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixhttp://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
No problem ...The MEACFANS Zone started because the MEACFans site went down for a long period of time w/o a time table for coming back up....You will find a lot of folks from the old board on this board now.....xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixhttp://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi

the running joke about that "situation" is that the site went down due to some very sour FAMU people, who ran the site, after SCSU beat FAMU last year.

But anyways, answer this question for me? I understand the $$$ factor in all of this but why exclude multiple teams from competing in post-season play? Teams in the Playoffs and the Legacy Bowl would be great.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
But anyways, answer this question for me? I understand the $$$ factor in all of this but why exclude multiple teams from competing in post-season play? Teams in the Playoffs and the Legacy Bowl would be great.

I'm hoping the MEAC is not sending their champion to this 'Legacy Bowl' when this is all said and done.

With the changes in HBCU football as the MEAC's product has improved significantly and the SWAC's has stayed pat (or gone down in some estimations, especially with more programs in the region), do you think the MEAC #2 or #3 team could give a competitive game to the SWAC champion, if not beat them?

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping the MEAC is not sending their champion to this 'Legacy Bowl' when this is all said and done.

With the changes in HBCU football as the MEAC's product has improved significantly and the SWAC's has stayed pat (or gone down in some estimations, especially with more programs in the region), do you think the MEAC #2 or #3 team could give a competitive game to the SWAC champion, if not beat them?

YES! No offense but it is the SWAC! Delaware St is going to Smack the Jags of SU in August and they are the 6th best team in the conference.

Syntax Error
May 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Facts are facts... teams in the MEAC have gone deep into the playoffs and won the Division I Football Championship, the SWAC has lost every single playoff game they were in. This Legacy thing means a lot more to the SWAC than it does to the MEAC.

Head Cat
May 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM

There would need to be a bylaw change for that to happen. Currently the ratio is 50% auto bids and 50% at-large. If the MEAC rejects an auto bid for its champ, that would open things up for the PFL or the (gulp) Ivy League to get one.

Head Cat
May 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
The MEAC champ should go to the playoffs and let the Legacy Bowl have the MEAC runner-up.

gram4life
May 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Facts are facts... teams in the MEAC have gone deep into the playoffs and won the Division I Football Championship, the SWAC has lost every single playoff game they were in. This Legacy thing means a lot more to the SWAC than it does to the MEAC.

No MEAC team has won a football championship. Gone deep in the playoffs yes but none has won a championship. FAMU was not in the MEAC when they won it all.

Syntax Error
May 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM
No MEAC team has won a football championship. Gone deep in the playoffs yes but none has won a championship. FAMU was not in the MEAC when they won it all.They are a MEAC team now, hence "MEAC team" - didn't mean they were a MEAC team then, heck they were barely a Division I team then.

blackcaesar3k5
May 30th, 2010, 02:44 AM
GRAM: There are coaches within SWAC Conference that want particpate in playoffs again.. Especially certain coach that won NAIA national title back in 95 at Central State University..

DEX
May 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
The MEAC champ should go to the playoffs and let the Legacy Bowl have the MEAC runner-up.

Exactly! HBCU fans attend classics because of:

1. Who's playing
2. Bands
3. Overall entertainment

With that said, it really doesn't matter whether it's the MEAC number 1 or MEAC number 2 team. The attendance will be unaffected.

WestCoastAggie
May 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Join and pass along this FB Group: Segregation went out in the 60s, we support the FCS playoffs. http://bit.ly/9fGiGr

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Not sure if any of you have read this, but here's the discussion on the Onnidan forums...

http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,39901.0.html

Interesting quote off of the new MEAC community too...

"The SWAC has the attendance and name recognition but the brand has transformed from athletic excellence to entertainment" - Decks (http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,39901.msg246626.html#msg246626)

aceinthehole
May 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
This is a major step backwards...It tells the rest of the world we don't want to try and compete so we will create our own mythical championship and be done with it..... xnonono2x

Look at it this way, by not participating in the playoffs you're just following the lead of the Ivy League. ;)

McNeese75
May 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Look at it this way, by not participating in the playoffs you're just following the lead of the Ivy League. ;)

xlolx I'm not sure the motives are the same xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
May 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
There would need to be a bylaw change for that to happen. Currently the ratio is 50% auto bids and 50% at-large. If the MEAC rejects an auto bid for its champ, that would open things up for the PFL or the (gulp) Ivy League to get one.

Are the by-laws different for the NCAA basketball tournament than the FCS tournament. I didn't go back and read them, but I believe they state there will be "at least" as many at-large spots as AQs, therefore there could be 9 AQs and 11 at-larges.

This rule of course also leads me to believe that the playoffs will expand to 24 in the next 5 years.

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM
This rule of course also leads me to believe that the playoffs will expand to 24 in the next 5 years.

Which conferences besides the Pioneer will get involved? The Great West would have to get some members and their most likely source is Div II - which would push them out of the five year window, based on the moratorium expiration.

And if the MEAC is pulling out...

Or are you thinking there will be a split amongst some conferences? The SWAC or Ivy finally getting involved?

Saint3333
May 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
TT you may misunderstand my point. If there can be more at-large spots than AQs what is to stop expansion through additional at-large bids?

Syntax Error
May 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Not exactly. The Ivy League has never participated in the Division I Football Championships, the only current league to do so. The PFL, GWFC, and NEC teams have just never been chosen. The MEAC has teams that have prospered in the playoffs. The SWAC has been close but never won a playoff game in 19 tries. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Are the by-laws different for the NCAA basketball tournament than the FCS tournament. I didn't go back and read them, but I believe they state there will be "at least" as many at-large spots as AQs, therefore there could be 9 AQs and 11 at-larges.

You could have nine AQs and eleven at-larges. The rule is at least 50% of the field has to be at-large bids. If you elect to have more, that's OK.

There's only an issue if you have less. The FCS playoffs this year were required to expand since the number of AQs went to 10, meaning that in order to keep that 50% number the playoff field has to be comprised of 10 at-large bids as well.

FOr FCS, 10 at-larges <-- NCAA compliant. 9 at-larges <--- not. With nine AQs, you need to have nine at-larges at least.

Syntax Error
May 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
TT you may misunderstand my point. If there can be more at-large spots than AQs what is to stop expansion through additional at-large bids?

1989-1991 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee, 1 Independent; 9 at-large

1992-1995 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee; 10 at-large

1996-1997 (16 teams): AQs: A-10, Big Sky, Gateway, MEAC, OVC, Southern, Southland; 9 at-large

CSN Log (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2009/11/17/division-i-football-championship-playoff?blog=5)

Go...gate
May 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM

So the playoffs stay at 20 for the foreseeable future.

That's fine, and I will be happy to see the PFL in the field, but between the MEAC, SWAC and the Ivy League, you have three FCS conferences that have blown off the NCAA play-offs for various reasons. That sucks.

Jackman
May 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
That's a lot of money. Most FBS bowls don't split that large a payout. I don't think ESPN pays even a fraction of that for the FCS playoffs. I sympathize with MEAC fans, but if I was a university president it'd be really hard to turn that offer down for a first round road game at Elon. If ESPN is paying that much, they'll promote the hell out of it.

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2010, 11:55 AM
That's a lot of money. Most FBS bowls don't split that large a payout. I don't think ESPN pays even a fraction of that for the FCS playoffs. I sympathize with MEAC fans, but if I was a university president it'd be really hard to turn that offer down for a first round road game at Elon. If ESPN is paying that much, they'll promote the hell out of it.

That's just the thing. It's not confirmed that ESPN, Disney or whomever is paying $3Million total to be split amongst the conferences involved to play a game Dec. 17th, 2011. If anything, the pay out would be around the payout for the New Orleans Bowl of $750,000 to be split, IMHO.

There aren't any indications that MEAC/SWAC games on ESPN-U that are usually on tape delay at 10pm on saturdays bring in the viewers that would constitute that $3 million payout.

But even with this, most of us are fine with this game IF WE KEEP OUR AQ and send as many teams we can to the playoffs as we can. Fans and other supporters of the SWAC contend that the Heritage Bowl went down because the MEAC allowed the Reg. Season champ and whomever was selected into playoff play to forgo that game and head to the playoffs.

Most MEACFans simply believe that not the case and want the option of both.

GIVE THE SCHOOL'S CHOICE!

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
The option of BOTH will go over fine with the general FCS community sans the SWAC, IMO.

The SWAC would be the ones looked down upon from a competitive standpoint if their regular season champion were to lose to the MEAC's #2 or #3 team in a given year. Of course, their fans could care less about where they stand from a competitive standpoint based on comments they've made.

At the end of the day, the MEAC would benefit profusely if they could not only get the AQ and the Legacy Bowl. I do not think the game will suffer with the MEAC #3 compared to the MEAC champion. HBCU football is a different beast and the game will still be special.

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
The option of BOTH will go over fine with the general FCS community sans the SWAC, IMO.

The SWAC would be the ones looked down upon from a competitive standpoint if their regular season champion were to lose to the MEAC's #2 or #3 team in a given year. Of course, their fans could care less about where they stand from a competitive standpoint based on comments they've made.

At the end of the day, the MEAC would benefit profusely if they could not only get the AQ and the Legacy Bowl. I do not think the game will suffer with the MEAC #3 compared to the MEAC champion. HBCU football is a different beast and the game will still be special.

And renting out and playing in a place like the GA Dome would not work in years where FAMU, A&T, SC State, JSU, GSU, SU aren't in it. It's up to the Conferences and Sponsors to maximize the investments.

mikebigg
May 31st, 2010, 03:21 PM

Frat, we look at this one differently it seems. We didn't create a mythical championship, the Sheridan Poll has been around since the 1920's or so.

Also, it's not about the SWAC not wanting to compete. We never received an autobid from the NCAA during our prior selections. During the 80's, they issued a "mandate" that all teams had to be available at a date that suited their interest. Several members (Grambling, SU, Bama State) decided we didn't want to be "mandated" as to when our REGULAR season would/should end. That lasted throughout the 80's and they (NCAA) selected JSU, Alcorn from time to time as an at-large team. In 1999, our conferenced decided to excercise our rights as Capitalist in a Free Market System by creating a conference championship game. Rather than wait for the NCAA to decide if/when we would participate, we opted for our own means of generating revenue/getting exposure.

I'm rather disappointed that you have bought into the rhethoric of others that claim we are afraid to compete without seeing that we were to some extent given a "take it or leave it" offer. Apparently your AD's see the revenue potential...if you disagree, I think your energy and efforts would be better served addressing that with them as opposed to ridiculing the SWAC for having our own alternative.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm rather disappointed that you have bought into the rhethoric of others that claim we are afraid to compete without seeing that we were to some extent given a "take it or leave it" offer. Apparently your AD's see the revenue potential...if you disagree, I think your energy and efforts would be better served addressing that with them as opposed to ridiculing the SWAC for having our own alternative.

Some would contend that the 'afraid to compete' is a season-long initiative brought about by not only the nine-game mandate, but the inability of the SWAC's full membership to schedule a full 11 game schedule...

SWAC schools have repeatedly been reached out to by FCS schools for home-and-home agreements. The SWAC schools routinely turn them down and in some cases, instead have elected to play nine or 10 games, when up to 11 are allowed.

I can understand the reasoning behind not moving the games involving SU-Gram and AlaSt-Tuskegee. Those games have tradition, history and more importantly for the SWAC schools - money to keep your programs afloat.

However, the season-long "apprehension" towards competing against teams out of conference is mildly disturbing for a conference that would like to be taken seriously by anyone outside of the league...

iceman4221
May 31st, 2010, 03:33 PM
TSPN is not the voice of the MEAC!!!! Don't believe the hype...

mikebigg
May 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Some would contend that the 'afraid to compete' is a season-long initiative brought about by not only the nine-game mandate, but the inability of the SWAC's full membership to schedule a full 11 game schedule...

SWAC schools have repeatedly been reached out to by FCS schools for home-and-home agreements. The SWAC schools routinely turn them down and in some cases, instead have elected to play nine or 10 games, when up to 11 are allowed.

I can understand the reasoning behind not moving the games involving SU-Gram and AlaSt-Tuskegee. Those games have tradition, history and more importantly for the SWAC schools - money to keep your programs afloat.

However, the season-long "apprehension" towards competing against teams out of conference is mildly disturbing for a conference that would like to be taken seriously by anyone outside of the league...

Grambling has never pulled out of a game against anyone... unless you're talking about our opting out of having Nichols come to us for a return game AFTER we beat them the year before. As memory serves me... our then President scheduled a home and home with them that our then coach didn't want to play as he preferred playing Morris Brown in Atlanta. Still we honored our deal and went to Nichols and released them from having to come to Grambling the next season.

We also flew out to Portland, Oregon in 2001 (the same season) and played Portland State on the road for a come from behind victory. Since then, we've done home and home with both McNeese and Northwestern State, played ULM in Monroe, and has reached an agreement to play La Tech in Shreveport. I haven't included playing Okie State, Louisville, Pittsburg in recent years as it should be clear that we don't run from anyone.

Instead we are motivated by scheduling games that benefit us financially. We are limited as to the number of games we can play due to the conference mandate (which I understand benefits the rest of the conference). However with only 1 non-conference game remaining (after our "money" game) we have scheduled teams that don't require a return game. If anyone can come to us with a neutral site deal or is willing to come to Gram without a return game, holla at our AD. But yall can cut the "scared to compete bullcrap".

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 04:06 PM
If anyone can come to us with a neutral site deal or is willing to come to Gram without a return game, holla at our AD. But yall can cut the "scared to compete bullcrap".

MB, you are speaking for Grambling.

The G-Men do a great job in handling their football scheduling and I know NWST appreciated the recent home-and-home arrangement.

It is the other schools that need to be spoken for as it pertains to their lack of a full 11 game schedule, their constant pulling out of home-and-home arrangements with other schools (sometimes without even communicating with them), etc.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 04:38 PM
Another great comment...

That is the basic question we are being presented with, people will throw around this $3 million figure like it seems like a lot of money, but after you figure in taxes, conference fees and being split amongst all 13 schools in the MEAC this is what were left with. Hell, most if not all of our schools clear more than $80K for a home game, and some DOUBLE that amount. DSU got $550K for the Michigan game and even after expenses and the fines, we still had about $300K to show for it. So WTF is $80K going to do for us? Especially when the average budget in the conference is $9.5 MILLION!!! If we can figure out a way to do both (Playoffs/Bowl Game), then it will definitely have all of our support. But if its the either/or proposition that these SWACites are presenting to us then I say Hell to the Nizz-aw!

Credit: MEAC Fan Zone (http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz&action=display&thread=3006)

Jackman
May 31st, 2010, 05:01 PM
I guess the million dollar question (literally) is how much is ESPN willing to pay for the second-best MEAC team. It's certainly not out of place in the bowl system for the best team in one conference to take on the second best team (or worse) in another conference.

EDIT: I think it would also be a good idea for the 7th place CAA team to get a bowl against the 2nd place SoCon team.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Update...this comes from Jafus (Thinker) on TSPN in response to Panther88. Looks like the ADs will have little say according to our very well connected and respected poster...

I made a call and the MEAC and SWAC presidents/chancellors will make this decision without much input from their athletic directors. So, you know how our president will vote and he will have the full support of the chancellor and other state legislative leadership as well as mine for whatever that is worth. One thing you have always stated and that I have always agreed with, it is a bottom line business (academics and athletics).

It is becoming painfully more obvious based on the discussion that individuals really do not understand the cost of academics and athletics in this country as well as how tenuous it has become in this current economy. Well you know my thoughts, we have work to do.

Credit: TSPN (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89961)

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Per request, here are figures of revenue & expenses of MEAC schools for football During the 2008/2009 Fiscal year (7/1/2008 - 7/30/2009)

Bethune-Cookman Univ.
Revenue - $3,071,002
Expenses - $3,071,002

Delaware State
Revenue - $3,537,133
Expenses - $3,258,427

Florida A&M
Revenue - $2,500,000
Expenses - $2,350,000

Hampton
Revenue - $2,930,977
Expenses - $2,531,723

Howard
Revenue - $2,525,931
Expenses - $2,427,134

Morgan State
Revenue - $2,059,489
Expenses - $2,059,489

Norfolk State
Revenue - $2,458,242
Expenses - $2,073,504

North Carolina A&T
Revenue - $1,953,428
Expenses - $1,953,428

North Carolina Central
Revenue - $1,641,014
Expenses - $1,632,364

Savannah State
Revenue - $995,770
Expenses - $1,010,499

South Carolina State
Revenue - $4,024,930
Expenses - $2,679,039

Now please note this data doesn't tell the whole story which includes how they got that money for that season.

Pitbull
May 31st, 2010, 09:02 PM
We have 13 pages of lively discussions on this topic at the Zone.....Com'on and check us out...
MEACFANS ZONE!!!

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 09:05 PM
We have 13 pages of lively discussions on this topic at the Zone.....Com'on and check us out...
MEACFANS ZONE!!!

What's all that non-sense from daddytiger? Never seen him on TSPN, unless he has a different name.

The MEAC folks are on their board. The SWAC folks are on their board. The funny thing is, outside of a poster or two on each, there is not a shared dialogue between the fan bases.

Each is to their own, as far as what they would like to see their conference do. Seems the SWAC people are all on board while the MEAC fans would like to turn the other way. Would be fun if they'd "collide" on this board for some good ole fashioned discussion, debate! xtwocentsx

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2010, 09:22 PM
That would get ugly, fast TT. People would be banned all over the place lol.

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2010, 09:27 PM
IF the report from SUjagTilliDIE is true, then this might ultimately tear the MEAC apart. xSMHx

Model Citizen
May 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM

Time for UC Davis to step up to the plate and join the PFL.

Big Dawg
May 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM
That would get ugly, fast TT. People would be banned all over the place lol.

Yep...LOL

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
IF the report from SUjagTilliDIE is true, then this might ultimately tear the MEAC apart. xSMHx

Wasnt my report. Jaguar Journals report. :)

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Since the MEAC posters seem to be against participation in the Legacy Bowl to the point of some suggesting that they send their Number 2 or 3 team, I would hope that the SWAC is in negotiations with ESPN about selecting from a pool of teams from the Southland, Southern, and OVC as well.

Advantages:

* Geographically closer to the SWAC schools.

* Addresses the concern that SWAC schools are "ducking" competition.
(Apparently these conferences are deemed superior to the MEAC since 2nd place teams from these conferences tend to get an at-large bid to their runner up while the MEAC doesn't)

* Expands the exposure to a larger (mixed) segment of viewers

Hopefully the Presidents will look at this possible scenario, take in consideration the MEAC fans opposition to the game, and seek other just as or even more attractive matchups.

4th and What?
June 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
Is it against NCAA rules to have the Legacy Bowl during the break in the playoffs before the championship? That would seem like a nice scheduling solution and it wouldn't interfere with a playoff bid.

I guess that wouldn't necessarily work with ESPN's schedule which is the driving force behind it?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM
Is it against NCAA rules to have the Legacy Bowl during the break in the playoffs before the championship? That would seem like a nice scheduling solution and it wouldn't interfere with a playoff bid.

I guess that wouldn't necessarily work with ESPN's schedule which is the driving force behind it?

It's against the NCAA rules to participate in two football postseason events. Either it's the NCAA's postseason playoff, or a championship game (SWAC) or a bowl game (Gridiron Classic). Right now, you can't do both.

FBS Bowls don't apply to this rule since they are not NCAA events and there is no choice of an NCAA-sanctioned champion. That's why a team can play in the SEC championship game and a BC$ bowl, since the BC$ bowl is not part of the NCAA.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Are you guys saying that the runner up from the Southland who does not get a playoff invite is excluded from participating in the Legacy Bowl if offered the opportunity to pick up some extra cash? Wow, if so the NCAA really does have yall by the balls (literally).

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Since the MEAC posters seem to be against participation in the Legacy Bowl to the point of some suggesting that they send their Number 2 or 3 team, I would hope that the SWAC is in negotiations with ESPN about selecting from a pool of teams from the Southland, Southern, and OVC as well.

An sort-of FCS NIT as an alternative for teams that miss the FCS playoffs? Why not? I'm all for it; however, your problem then becomes one of sponsorship and attendance - and the fact that the game no longer becomes the unofficial "HBCU championship game".

While we're at it, why not just invite the #21 and #22 teams that don't make the playoffs, and have them play at a neutral site?

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Are you guys saying that the runner up from the Southland who does not get a playoff invite is excluded from participating in the Legacy Bowl if offered the opportunity to pick up some extra cash? Wow, if so the NCAA really does have yall by the balls (literally).

I am under the impression based on the rules that the SLC, OVC or whomever could send their top team that is not selected to the playoffs to another postseason game. The SLC would in most years be sending their #3 team to such a game, if it existed, IMO.

MB - would you really want to see the SWAC champion vs a #2 or #3 team from another conference? Wouldn't it be a setback to the SWAC's competitive credibility if they were to lose to such a team?

GAD
June 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
Great idea! If we are gonna play a 2nd or 3rd place team lets play the best regional team avaible. Wiat until after the playoff bids go out then pick from those teams that didn't make the cut.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
I am under the impression based on the rules that the SLC, OVC or whomever could send their top team that is not selected to the playoffs to another postseason game. The SLC would in most years be sending their #3 team to such a game, if it existed, IMO.

MB - would you really want to see the SWAC champion vs a #2 or #3 team from another conference? Wouldn't it be a setback to the SWAC's competitive credibility if they were to lose to such a team?

No more than it did for recent Southland Conference CHAMPS to get blown out in FCS games like McNeese and Sam Houston did in recent years...unless you are saying the SWAC is held to a different standard when we lose a game. The real deal is that we are not concerned with "opinions" about what others think regarding level of competition. That's the point you and others seem to keep missing in all of this. You see, you think we don't participate in the FCS playoffs because of "fear of losing and looking bad" when it's based upon "if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense".

Allow me to recriprocate... would these conferences be afraid to send their "other" to play in this game and risk losing to what you seem to deem an inferior conference? Also would this be an admission on the part of these schools that "making money makes sense"? What happens when the excitement/exposure from this game (and the payout) exceeds what your league champion made in the playoffs? I will await your response...

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Great idea! If we are gonna play a 2nd or 3rd place team lets play the best regional team avaible. Wiat until after the playoff bids go out then pick from those teams that didn't make the cut.

To give credit where it's due... I actually picked this up from a post you made somewhere (can't recall exactly where at this time). Another possibility (though they don't need money) would be to get the IVY league to come to the negotiating table. Not sure they would be interested, but let's keep all options open.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hey MikeBigg, have you been snooping around Houston lately? xshhhx

I'll say this wouldn't be a bad bowl game to host in Houston at the new Tiger Stadium opening in 2012.

* 22,000 seat stadium
* luxury suites
* located in a major SWAC city with a large concentration of SWAC and SLC alumni

Matter fact, I have been in two meetings with this bowl game coming up in discussion while a member from The (well I'll just save that ace in my pocket for now but I'll just say a non-HBCU conference representative) was present and was extremely interested in the discussion about being included.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM
No more than it did for recent Southland Conference CHAMPS to get blown out in FCS games like McNeese and Sam Houston did in recent years

Sam Houston State was never blown out after winning a conference title. In fact, in 2001 and 2004 when the Bearkats did share the conference title, they advanced. 2001 featured a loss in the quarterfinals to Montana (after defeating Northern Arizona) while 2004 came in the semifinals to Montana (after defeating Western kentucky and Eastern Washington).

McNeese State has had their share of losses in the playoffs after coming in highly touted and nationally ranked. The problem in several cases for the SLC has been being shipped to Missoula, MT in the first round.

...unless you are saying the SWAC is held to a different standard when we lose a game. The real deal is that we are not concerned with "opinions" about what others think regarding level of competition. That's the point you and others seem to keep missing in all of this. You see, you think we don't participate in the FCS playoffs because of "fear of losing and looking bad" when it's based upon "if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense".

Do you think there is money made in the NCAA baseball or softball tournament? No NCAA competition minus football and men's basketball generates revenues. Of course, those are the two sports where the SWAC generates their most money by playing neutral site games in the case of football or playing a basketball slate that does not bring their team home until SWAC play.

MB - I've never understood why the SWAC continues to remain at the Division I level, since they are barely scraping by. The budget gap has only gone up between other like conferences and the SWAC. The MEAC for instance has what amounts to nearly a 40-50% difference in average budget from the SWAC. The state of affairs in Louisiana will only further cripple the powers of Southern and Grambling.

Allow me to recriprocate... would these conferences be afraid to send their "other" to play in this game and risk losing to what you seem to deem an inferior conference? Also would this be an admission on the part of these schools that "making money makes sense"? What happens when the excitement/exposure from this game (and the payout) exceeds what your league champion made in the playoffs? I will await your response...

No, the conferences would not be afraid to send their second or third team to play the SWAC.

The SLC has shown that it is pretty comfortable playing the SWAC, beating the league at about an 85-90% clip across all sports and the fact we play the SWAC too much has hurt the league's RPI in baseball particularly, where a second spot was taken away by virtue of SLU playing nine games against SWAC foes.

And making money would be nice for the institutions, but the $100k or whatever is not as much of an impact for most SLC schools compared to how $100k would impact the bottom line of a SWAC school. We're talking about budgets which in the case of the Texas schools are over $10M, compared to those schools who are in the $4.5-6M range.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sam Houston State was never blown out after winning a conference title. In fact, in 2001 and 2004 when the Bearkats did share the conference title, they advanced. 2001 featured a loss in the quarterfinals to Montana (after defeating Northern Arizona) while 2004 came in the semifinals to Montana (after defeating Western kentucky and Eastern Washington).

McNeese State has had their share of losses in the playoffs after coming in highly touted and nationally ranked. The problem in several cases for the SLC has been being shipped to Missoula, MT in the first round.

You do realize that you could replace Sam Houston State in the first paragraph with Grambling, except to say we have never been blown out in the playoffs either (regardless of runner up or conference champ).

In the second paragraph, you could replace McNeese with the name of Jackson State and the same thing would apply.

Just an FYI...

So are you saying that the Southland Conference would not be interested in going?

As for why we stay in Division I? Because we choose too...but you contradict ourself. On the one hand, you mention how our athletic budget is small and then turn around for criticizing us for choosing a better payout as opposed to being "pimped" by the NCAA FCS playoffs. But as a FYI... our athletic revenue goes to our General Fund to help support our mission which is to educate our students. Athletics are very important...but we weren't formed to provide Athletic opportunities, that's simply an extracurricular item that hopefully positively impacts our true purpose. In the meantime, we'll remain in D1 as per it suiting our purposes for the moment.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
So are you saying that the Southland Conference would not be interested in going?

The SLC would be interested in retaining their spot in the playoffs, but any additional revenue, if done the right way, would not be a bad thing either. The impact would be smaller for the SLC than that of the SWAC.

As for why we stay in Division I? Because we choose too...but you contradict ourself. On the one hand, you mention how our athletic budget is small and then turn around for criticizing us for choosing a better payout as opposed to being "pimped" by the NCAA FCS playoffs. But as a FYI... our athletic revenue goes to our General Fund to help support our mission which is to educate our students. Athletics are very important...but we weren't formed to provide Athletic opportunities, that's simply an extracurricular item that hopefully positively impacts our true purpose. In the meantime, we'll remain in D1 as per it suiting our purposes for the moment.

No, I understand why you do not compete in the playoffs. Southern, Grambling and Alabama State have tradition and ample reason$ to stay out. I am more upset with the SWAC over the ridiculous nine-game mandate and in football, the lack of desires to compete on a national stage (meaning playing full schedules of 11 games, which you play FCS OOC opposition).

Academics should be important, but I've never been led to believe that athletics are anything more than entertainment for the universities. Not each school is committed to their athletic programs in many regards, which at the end of the day, make the SWAC schools Division I in name, but more or less something south of that in other facets.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
MB, you are speaking for Grambling.

The G-Men do a great job in handling their football scheduling and I know NWST appreciated the recent home-and-home arrangement.

It is the other schools that need to be spoken for as it pertains to their lack of a full 11 game schedule, their constant pulling out of home-and-home arrangements with other schools (sometimes without even communicating with them), etc.

So you are in essence referring to Southern, Texas Southern, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Prairie View, Alcorn, Mississippi Valley, Jackson State, Alabama State and Alabama A&M?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
What's all that non-sense from daddytiger? Never seen him on TSPN, unless he has a different name.

The MEAC folks are on their board. The SWAC folks are on their board. The funny thing is, outside of a poster or two on each, there is not a shared dialogue between the fan bases.

Each is to their own, as far as what they would like to see their conference do. Seems the SWAC people are all on board while the MEAC fans would like to turn the other way. Would be fun if they'd "collide" on this board for some good ole fashioned discussion, debate! xtwocentsx

Let me make sure I understand you correctly...

Have TSPN & MEAC board members register over here to help create traffic on AGS right?

Jackman
June 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
It's against the NCAA rules to participate in two football postseason events. Either it's the NCAA's postseason playoff, or a championship game (SWAC) or a bowl game (Gridiron Classic). Right now, you can't do both.

FBS Bowls don't apply to this rule since they are not NCAA events and there is no choice of an NCAA-sanctioned champion. That's why a team can play in the SEC championship game and a BC$ bowl, since the BC$ bowl is not part of the NCAA.

While it's obviously true that you can participate in both a conference postseason game and a bowl game, it's because the NCAA carved out an exception for football conferences with over 12 members to have a playoff game to determine a champion, not because the BCS isn't part of the NCAA. Note that the MAC has a championship game and sends teams to non-BCS bowls.

I believe the CAA could have also held a championship game in past years and also been allowed to participate in the playoffs, because it had 12 members and the correct division setup. They didn't because there's no good reason to do so in FCS. It's been a long time since the top two teams haven't both gone to the playoffs anyway.

The one thing you could maybe do is merge the MEAC and SWAC in football only, and hold the Legacy Bowl as a conference championship game. Winner goes on to the playoffs. The challenge then would be to squeeze that in before the first round games. They'd probably have to give up their bye weeks so that the week of the last regular season game can be set aside for the bowl.

bluehenbillk
June 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
If the MEAC no longer would have an autobid to the FCS playoffs, will this mean MEAC officials would no longer work FCS playoff games?? Please, please tell me that's true.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Jackman,

How would you feel about your highest non-Playoff selected school participating in this Bowl game? The MEAC has expressed a disinterest and I say let's exclude them from further discussion. I'm in effect, seeking to find out where the SWAC should focus it's attention since the MEAC fans are not interested and therefore possibly would not attend the game. Since the payout we get is based on fan support, I would like to guage how many fans of other conferences would consider participating. Let the MEAC continue to attempt to appease those who give them their "attaboys" while we look for other possible stakeholders.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
While it's obviously true that you can participate in both a conference postseason game and a bowl game, it's because the NCAA carved out an exception for football conferences with over 12 members to have a playoff game to determine a champion, not because the BCS isn't part of the NCAA. Note that the MAC has a championship game and sends teams to non-BCS bowls.

I believe the CAA could have also held a championship game in past years and also been allowed to participate in the playoffs, because it had 12 members and the correct division setup. They didn't because there's no good reason to do so in FCS. It's been a long time since the top two teams haven't both gone to the playoffs anyway.

The only way to have had a championship game in previous years would be to shorten the season by one week and hosting it the week before the playoffs. I don't think getting rid of a money game or a bye week just to host a championship game would go over well with the membership! xlolx

The one thing you could maybe do is merge the MEAC and SWAC in football only, and hold the Legacy Bowl as a conference championship game. Winner goes on to the playoffs. The challenge then would be to squeeze that in before the first round games. They'd probably have to give up their bye weeks so that the week of the last regular season game can be set aside for the bowl.

The SWAC seems married to the idea of having the Bayou Classic and others the weekend of Thanksgiving, and ESPN/the NCAA seems married to the idea of having the first round of the playoffs the same weekend. Unless someone budges, it seems unlikely that an accommodation will be reached.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM
The MEAC has expressed a disinterest and I say let's exclude them from further discussion.

MB -

Has the MEAC really expressed a disinterest? I do not think they have.

I feel, based on the comments of their fans, that their top team (and any additional at-large selections) should go to the playoffs. Anyone after that is free to compete as they see fit, whether it the Legacy Bowl or whatever post-season game is concocted.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
MB -

I feel, based on the comments of their fans, that their top team (and any additional at-large selections) should go to the playoffs. Anyone after that is free to compete as they see fit, whether it the Legacy Bowl or whatever post-season game is concocted.

No, their fans (at least on here) have strongly emphasized that they would prefer going to the playoffs. Let them have their way... but my point is that since we're gonna play someone's 2nd or 3rd place team, why settle for the MEAC only. Go for the highest rated/ranked non-playoff selectee from other regional conferences. With that being said, how many other conferences would be interested.

Again...since the claim is that the SWAC is afraid to play "the rest of FCS", here's a chance for non-HBCU FCS conferences to say if they are interested in a matchup or not. Maybe they feel like the MEAC fans that it is beneath them... just wanted to know.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
MB -

Thank You TT!

Once again, THE MEAC IS NOT AGAINST THE LEGACY BOWL GAME, per se. Most of us pundits, with and without connections in our school's admin. offices, would like for us to send as many teams to the playoffs first and send the highest ranked team left whether it is the 2nd, 3rd, or maybe even 4th place team to play in the Legacy Bowl. xpeacex

3rd Coast Tiger
June 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Jackman,

How would you feel about your highest non-Playoff selected school participating in this Bowl game? The MEAC has expressed a disinterest and I say let's exclude them from further discussion. I'm in effect, seeking to find out where the SWAC should focus it's attention since the MEAC fans are not interested and therefore possibly would not attend the game. Since the payout we get is based on fan support, I would like to guage how many fans of other conferences would consider participating. Let the MEAC continue to attempt to appease those who give them their "attaboys" while we look for other possible stakeholders.

Please allow me to interject here mike. It is MEAC message board posters who have expressed a disinterest in this alleged bowl. Let me repeat myself: message board posters; not MEAC administrators who will ultimately make the decision.

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Please allow me to interject here mike. It is MEAC message board posters who have expressed a disinterest in this alleged bowl. Let me repeat myself: message board posters; not MEAC administrators who will ultimately make the decision.

I have meant to put MEAC fans in my posts but from time to time, I have left off the key word "fans". Their administrators have knowledge of the financial budget needs and have rightfully based their decision on that basis. I appreciate the "correction" on your part.

Rather than take their 2nd place team, what about foregoing them all together and take on someone else from an obviously (based upon them receiving multiple selections) more respected FCS conference? I mean, the MEAC typically only gets one invite regardless of overall conference records. It might be more prestigious to get the 3rd place Southland and/or Southern Conference team and beat them. If we only beat a MEAC team where's the prestige in that?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
No, their fans (at least on here) have strongly emphasized that they would prefer going to the playoffs. Let them have their way... but my point is that since we're gonna play someone's 2nd or 3rd place team, why settle for the MEAC only. Go for the highest rated/ranked non-playoff selectee from other regional conferences. With that being said, how many other conferences would be interested.

That's all fine and good - but then, what is your Legacy Bowl going to be, then? An unofficial HBCU championship game (another Heritage Bowl)? A postseason NIT-like game where the best of the SWAC plays the first team on the playoff bubble? Something else?

Again, I'm quite happy to watch such a game, but I have to mention my opinion is that SWAC fans too would be split about such a game. IMO, some SWAC folks would vastly prefer the playoffs, if it could be made to work. Other SWAC folks would prefer a new Heritage Bowl - if the MEAC champion doesn't bail and play in the playoffs, which is what happened years ago. Yet other folks might prefer playing, say, Texas State (or, for that matter, ULL) in a regional bowl - but if that happens, the HBCU national champion nor the regional champion is no closer to being determined.

I don't get the impression that ESPN wants to host an interesting exhibition game. I get the impression wants to host the HBCU championship game. Inviting SHSU, say, to this game instead of Hampton, SCSU or even TSU means that the goal of the game would be compromised. Inviting the MEAC's second or third-placed team also compromises this goal, which is what did in the Heritage Bowl in the first place.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
That's all fine and good - but then, what is your Legacy Bowl going to be, then? An unofficial HBCU championship game (another Heritage Bowl)? A postseason NIT-like game where the best of the SWAC plays the first team on the playoff bubble? Something else?

Again, I'm quite happy to watch such a game, but I have to mention my opinion is that SWAC fans too would be split about such a game. IMO, some SWAC folks would vastly prefer the playoffs, if it could be made to work. Other SWAC folks would prefer a new Heritage Bowl - if the MEAC champion doesn't bail and play in the playoffs, which is what happened years ago. Yet other folks might prefer playing, say, Texas State (or, for that matter, ULL) in a regional bowl - but if that happens, the HBCU national champion nor the regional champion is no closer to being determined.

I don't get the impression that ESPN wants to host an interesting exhibition game. I get the impression wants to host the HBCU championship game. Inviting SHSU, say, to this game instead of Hampton, SCSU or even TSU means that the goal of the game would be compromised. Inviting the MEAC's second or third-placed team also compromises this goal, which is what did in the Heritage Bowl in the first place.

But according to TT he quoted a person close to the details of this situation that said the game will not be marketed as a HBCU Championship.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
If the MEAC no longer would have an autobid to the FCS playoffs, will this mean MEAC officials would no longer work FCS playoff games?? Please, please tell me that's true.

Hey be glad you don't have them as refs for your regular season games. xbangx

JazzyBulldog05
June 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM

Even if we keep the AQ, I'm for banning MEAC refs from any post-season, regular season, pre-season, off-season participation in FCS football :D

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
But according to TT he quoted a person close to the details of this situation that said the game will not be marketed as a HBCU Championship.

There ya go! And why should it be billed as an HBCU Black Championship game. Why would we narrow ourselves to that? So now that we've gotten that concern out of the way...would your conference be interested in participating for an extra payday game.

I wonder how many folk would have gone to Atlanta last year to see Prairie View versus Jacksonville and Ryan Perrilloux? Would the Jacksonville State Athletic Dept turn down such a payday? Would the OVC be opposed to this?
Seriously, how many do you think would have attended that game? I say 40k easy!

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have meant to put MEAC fans in my posts but from time to time, I have left off the key word "fans". Their administrators have knowledge of the financial budget needs and have rightfully based their decision on that basis. I appreciate the "correction" on your part.

Rather than take their 2nd place team, what about foregoing them all together and take on someone else from an obviously (based upon them receiving multiple selections) more respected FCS conference? I mean, the MEAC typically only gets one invite regardless of overall conference records. It might be more prestigious to get the 3rd place Southland and/or Southern Conference team and beat them. If we only beat a MEAC team where's the prestige in that?

What's wrong with the MEAC 2nd place team??? xeyebrowx

But anywho, there hasn't been a OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE or any other official information given out by either school so how about we all just wait and see on this?

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM

But anywho, there hasn't been a OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE or any other official information given out by either school so how about we all just wait and see on this?

What you changed your mind? Are you one of the MEAC fans who said yall weren't interested in a BCF National Championship? BTW, it's not being billed as such...it's a postseason BOWL game.

Did my suggesting the SWAC negotiate with other conferences change your opinion? I wonder how many other opinions has it changed? What about yall Southland Conference folk? Yall interested in some extra cash to send your second place team to a Post Season Bowl? Who from the Southern Conference didn't make it? What if App State doesn't make it...but has a solid 3rd place finish...should the Legacy Bowl pair them against the SWAC champ? How many folk would want to see App State against say Grambling?

I say open it up... let the MEAC fans miss out on this since they snubbed their noses.

JazzyBulldog05
June 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
^^^^^^

I believe most MEACers are fine with playing this game AS LONG AS WE CAN STILL SEND OUR CHAMP TO THE PLAYOFFS. Either way, you guys are the SWAC, you'll lose no matter who you face xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
There ya go! And why should it be billed as an HBCU Black Championship game. Why would we narrow ourselves to that? So now that we've gotten that concern out of the way...would your conference be interested in participating for an extra payday game.

So then why should this be limited to one conference? Take the two highest non-Ivy non-playoff teams from the GPI, invite them to Chattanooga, and have them play one another in the FCS NIT?

Who's to say Jacksonville State/Furman would have less value to ESPN and/or a bowl promoter than Jacksonville State/Grambling? A fair amount of folks would prefer to see the Furman matchup.

If it's not a HBCU championship, then why limit yourself to HBCUs?

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
SWAC Revenue & Expenses Football 2008/2009 Fiscal Year

Ala. A&M
Revenue - $1,964,189
Expenses - $1,964,189

Ala. State
Revenue - $2,564,116
Expenses - $2,564,116

Alcorn State
Revenue - $1,796,005
Expenses - $1,796,005

Arkansas Pine Bluff
Revenue - $1,664,158
Expenses - $1,664,158

Grambling State
Revenue - $2,010,111
Expenses - $1,837,754

Jackson State
Revenue - $1,628,881
Expenses - $1,628,881

Miss. Valley State
Revenue - $222,192
Expenses - $802,620

PVA&M
Revenue - $1,908,448
Expenses - $2,490,380

Southern University
Revenue - $1,072,676
Expenses - $1,072,676

Texas Southern University
Revenue - $2,369,335
Expenses - $2,096,568

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM
So then why should this be limited to one conference? Take the two highest non-Ivy non-playoff teams from the GPI, invite them to Chattanooga, and have them play one another in the FCS NIT?

Who's to say Jacksonville State/Furman would have less value to ESPN and/or a bowl promoter than Jacksonville State/Grambling? A fair amount of folks would prefer to see the Furman matchup.

I Agree LFN. How profitable was the Gridiron Bowl for the NEC and PFL? Is the Gridiron Bowl happening for 2010? will the highest ranked team from the NEC not invited to the Playoffs be in the Gridiron Bowl? What was the Conference split for the Teams?

Panther88
June 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
^^^^^^

I believe most MEACers are fine with playing this game AS LONG AS WE CAN STILL SEND OUR CHAMP TO THE PLAYOFFS. Either way, you guys are the SWAC, you'll lose no matter who you face xlolx

You really don't believe what you just typed. Talk is very, very cheap.

I think SCSU needs to find someone w/ a rabbit's foot so it can learn to beat an entity in the 1st round of the FCS playoffs. xprayx

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Grambling State
Revenue - $2,010,111
Expenses - $1,837,754

Miss. Valley State
Revenue - $222,192
Expenses - $802,620

Southern University
Revenue - $1,072,676
Expenses - $1,072,676

Confused...

Doesn't the Bayou Classic generate at least $1M for each Grambling and Southern? That should be counted in revenues, but I guess that money is going to the general fund, so does not even count in that regard.

And Valley is making what?!? That just does not seem right nor does the expenses...

GAD
June 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM

If the MEAC won't commit to the game, the game should not commit to the MEAC. If the game will feature the SWAC champ vs a #2 or 3 lets get the best team available.

MEAC wants the playoffs cool, but lets get the SoCon, OVC, and Southland on the phone if we gonna play a 2nd or 3rd place team lets get the best one!

we are talking about a milllion dollar payday here

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
If the MEAC won't commit to the game, the game should not commit to the MEAC. If the game will feature the SWAC champ vs a #2 or 3 lets get the best team available.

MEAC wants the playoffs cool, but lets get the SoCon, OVC, and Southland on the phone if we gonna play a 2nd or 3rd place team lets get the best one!

Those other conferences would probably ante up their #2 or #3 team as well or in the case of a league like the SoCon, possibly their #4.

None of these conferences are going to jettison the playoffs, though would be willing to give up a lower-tiered team for a $1M payday. The MEAC is the same way, in my opinion and hopefully will come to their common sense...

Panther88
June 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM

I like the idea of a regional opponent. Let's save travel $$$$ and garner a regional opponent that fans would be attracted to.

You can lead a dehydrated horse to water, it's his job to decide if he wants to drink or not. I say, let him continue his dehydration until he wastes away. xhurrayx

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Confused...

Doesn't the Bayou Classic generate at least $1M for each Grambling and Southern? That should be counted in revenues, but I guess that money is going to the general fund, so does not even count in that regard.

And Valley is making what?!? That just does not seem right nor does the expenses...

I believe that that 1 million is shown in their budget. Also, from my understanding, the money, SU earns goes to their Foundation and not back to the Athletic Dept.

Please Jaguars, correct me if I am wrong. I do not like giving inaccurate information.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
CAA Football
Revenue - $31,074,888
Expenses - $33,710,613

MEAC Football
Revenue - $26,602,747 + $995,770 (SSU) - $1,541,615 (WSSU) + $1,641,014 (NCCU) = $27,697,916
Expenses - $24,043,418 + $1,010,499 (SSU) - $1,639,672 (WSSU) + $1,632,364 (NCCU) =$25,046,609

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 09:34 PM

Nope... ESPN wants to deal with the SWAC. We brokered this, formulated the plan/concept so we get to be a constant participant. Can't have it both ways... but you can go and promote your own post season bowl. Good luck selling it! And again, it ain't about the SWAC being an HBCU...it's about ESPN wanting to televise a Post season FCS Bowl game involving the SWAC. It is what it is!

mikebigg
June 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Those other conferences would probably ante up their #2 or #3 team as well or in the case of a league like the SoCon, possibly their #4.

None of these conferences are going to jettison the playoffs, though would be willing to give up a lower-tiered team for a $1M payday. The MEAC is the same way, in my opinion and hopefully will come to their common sense...

So you are saying that the SoCon gets 3 teams in the playoffs (you posted that they would offer up the #4). You mean to tell me that the third place team in the SoCon gets an invite and the MEAC only gets 1. I guess that's fine for them... if they're willing to go through that type disrespect plus lose money just to say "we played in the playoffs" that's cool with me.

As for the bowl invite... naw, it has to be a #2 finisher in a conference plus have a good record. Actually, I think we should just contact the Ivy's. None of these other conferences appear to be interested, or at least not willing to say so...

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Nope... ESPN wants to deal with the SWAC. We brokered this, formulated the plan/concept so we get to be a constant participant. Can't have it both ways... but you can go and promote your own post season bowl. Good luck selling it! And again, it ain't about the SWAC being an HBCU...it's about ESPN wanting to televise a Post season FCS Bowl game involving the SWAC. It is what it is!

Interestingly, ESPN already televises a post season FCS game involving the SWAC called the SWAC championship game. Therefore, the SWAC has either negotiated at least double the payday to lose their championship and have this bowl game and a MEAC-or-mikebigg-at-large-concept team play each other, or the SWAC is actually forgoing money to make this happen.

Would the SWAC (and ESPN) really forego money in hand in order to have a SWAC champion bowl that's not in some way involved with the mythical HBCU championship? I have a real hard time believing that to be true. If that's the case, why not just keep the status quo and keep all the money? Something doesn't smell right.

mikebigg, I understand what you're trying to say but I feel it's disingenuous to somehow claim that a SWAC champ vs. whomever bowl is what ESPN wants and not an HBCU bowl. Either they want the SWAC/HBCU angle or they want the FCS NIT angle, and I have a hard time believing that ESPN would be happy to sub out FAMU for Texas State as you appear to be.

Panther88
June 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
So you are saying that the SoCon gets 3 teams in the playoffs (you posted that they would offer up the #4). You mean to tell me that the third place team in the SoCon gets an invite and the MEAC only gets 1. I guess that's fine for them... if they're willing to go through that type disrespect plus lose money just to say "we played in the playoffs" that's cool with me.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SCSU.... get'em Biggs! xhurrayxxsmileyclapx

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM

As for the bowl invite... naw, it has to be a #2 finisher in a conference plus have a good record. Actually, I think we should just contact the Ivy's. None of these other conferences appear to be interested, or at least not willing to say so...

Can you show a Press Release, article or something that didn't come from a rumor heard on the Jaguar Journal Radio Show that explicitly says the MEAC & SWAC will split a 3 million dollar payout?

None of us believe that ESPN would pay that much out to air a game between us around other bowls where the pay out is $750,000 split amongst the conferences involved.

mikebigg
June 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Can you show a Press Release, article or something that didn't come from a rumor heard on the Jaguar Journal Radio Show that explicitly says the MEAC & SWAC will split a 3 million dollar payout?

None of us believe that ESPN would pay that much out to air a game between us around other bowls where the pay out is $750,000 split amongst the conferences involved.

So now you want to see a link... Did you see a link previously when you and others opined that you would not be interested in such a game? No! You commented your disapproval of participating without seeing a link, but now you require a link. Why? Is it because you have been enlightened that if is not being promoted as a "Black National Championship" as TT and the Lehigh guy tried to make it out to be?

Man, I wish I was in charge... the MEAC would be the last conference I would select a team from. You guys probably would have to wait to see if it hurts your image in the eyes of the rest of FCS. SMH!!!!

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Man, I wish I was in charge... the MEAC would be the last conference I would select a team from. You guys probably would have to wait to see if it hurts your image in the eyes of the rest of FCS. SMH!!!!

+1. I'd ban them from consideration for 50 years. lol

JazzyBulldog05
June 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
You really don't believe what you just typed. Talk is very, very cheap.

I think SCSU needs to find someone w/ a rabbit's foot so it can learn to beat an entity in the 1st round of the FCS playoffs. xprayx

How many games has the SWAC won in the playoffs??????

And how many MEAC/SWAC challenges have you guys won?

Stick to your D2 scheduling and worry about your Concordias and Delta States.......we're trying to win a national championship on this side of the lake xsmiley_wix

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
How many games has the SWAC won in the playoffs??????

And how many MEAC/SWAC challenges have you guys won?

Stick to your D2 scheduling and worry about your Concordias and Delta States.......we're trying to win a national championship on this side of the lake xsmiley_wix

I don't know how many games the SWAC has won in the past. Why don't you enlighten us. And, while you're expounding your insipid rhetoric, why don't you tell me what in sans hell that has to do w/ the year 2010. xliarxxhurrayx And also what does that have to do w/ past MEAC/SWAC challenges. xliarx *whew* And lastly, who's scheduling D2s? xconfusedx Last I checked, all SWAC members have a full 9-game D-1 FCS schedule w/ 2 optional OOC matches. I currently see several FBSers on our scheds w/ a mix of D-II. So, all FCS, FBS, and D-II. What's the problem w/ that?

bluedog
June 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM

Does it setback the number one BCS team credibility when they aren't chosen for the Sugar Bowl and have to play a number three seed? xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Does it setback the number one BCS team credibility when they aren't chosen for the Sugar Bowl and have to play a number three seed? xrolleyesx

The first answer is: yes it does. Without a true playoff, the FBS crystal ball winner is just that - a mythical champion.

The second answer is: do you REALLY want the BCS system to replace the FCS system for determining a champion?

The third answer is: in what way is the SWAC champion representative of the "number one overall seed" in FCS recently? At best it's more of an Aloha Bowl-type setup between lower-reaching members of the Top 25 (PVA&M vs. FAMU, say, or Texas State). Unless the SWAC decides to do the FCS playoffs, we'll never know if they deserve "number one seed status".

bluedog
June 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
The first answer is: yes it does. Without a true playoff, the FBS crystal ball winner is just that - a mythical champion.

That's just the typical propaganda that schools who particpate in the FCS playoffs say every year to give themselves some self worth. Nobody in their right mind would say that a number one seed BCS team that wasn't chosen to go to the Sugar Bowl has less credibility then then one that was, especially since there have been numerous time when they both were co-champions

The second answer is: do you REALLY want the BCS system to replace the FCS system for determining a champion?

I really could care less, I don't live my life through what other conferences do or don't do.

I enjoy their games and I'm under no delusion that my conference is better of just as good as the BCS and at the end of the day I rest.

The third answer is: in what way is the SWAC champion representative of the "number one overall seed" in FCS recently? At best it's more of an Aloha Bowl-type setup between lower-reaching members of the Top 25 (PVA&M vs. FAMU, say, or Texas State). Unless the SWAC decides to do the FCS playoffs, we'll never know if they deserve "number one seed status".

Last why is it so hard for college student to figure out some that's simple? The SWAC doesn't need to playoffs to make money (which we all know it doesn't) or get national attention.

How many times have your conference in all its greatness been invited to a bowl game?

How many of your conference schools are on national TV on a regular basis every year?

How many of your conference schools can garner 70,00 plus at a football game?

Not to worry the Leacy Bowl is coming and we have every intention of inviting every one to the party and we won't make you pay to get in.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
How many times have your conference in all its greatness been invited to a bowl game?

How many of your conference schools are on national TV on a regular basis every year?

How many of your conference schools can garner 70,00 plus at a football game?

If that's what your priorities are, why aren't you leading the way to say Southern should be in FBS? After all, you can accomplish all three of these goals yet not be a part of FCS.

Money, attendance, and national TV coverage. You sound like the Big Ten commissioner. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Seriously, for people who want NOTHING to do with this, the rest of y'all have some strong opinions on a game WE are trying to set up. xlolx

Enjoy Frisco .... I'll take Atlanta anyday.

If you set up a game that allowed the SWAC to also take part in the FCS playoffs, without also affecting a FCS playoff conference (MEAC) in the process, I'd be your biggest cheerleader.

But your game causes a potential rift with an existing playoff conference and further isolates the SWAC from the community I cover which is FCS football. I want the SWAC and MEAC to thrive as an FCS conferences, and I'm not sure this "bowl game" is a good way to go about it.

I also openly wonder if the SWAC should be thinking about going FBS with this attitude, as well. If your goal is to play bowl games, make as much money as possible, you don't care about national championships and TV deals are the most important thing to you, well, why not FBS? It sounds like you a lot more in common philosophically with FBS programs like ULL and ULM than FCS programs like South Carolina State and Hampton anyway.

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
2008 FCS Playoff Participants Overall Football Revenue & Expenses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season

South Carolina State
Revenue - $4,024,930
Expenses - $2,679,039

New Hampshire
Revenue - $2,043,319
Expenses - $3,471,140

Northern Iowa
Revenue - $3,126,148
Expenses - $3,766,560

Richmond
Revenue - $5,181,710
Expenses - $5,181,710

Weber State
Revenue - $1,574,304
Expenses - $2,235,564

Wofford College
Revenue - $2,577,634
Expenses - $3,219,089

Villanova
Revenue - $4,680,860
Expenses - $4,680,860

Maine
Revenue - $2,880,259
Expenses - $3,379,296

Southern Illinois
Revenue - $812,582
Expenses - $2,813,026

Eastern Kentucky
Revenue - $2,559,240
Expenses - $2,928,947

Texas state
Revenue - $782,547
Expenses - $2,687,794

Montana
Revenue - $4,689,503
Expenses - $4,282,323

James Madison
Revenue - $4,798,536
Expenses - $4,922,302

Colgate
Revenue - $4,369,771
Expenses - $4,431,914

Cal Poly
Revenue - $1,701,586
Expenses - $2,540,558

App. State
Revenue - $3,307,184
Expenses - $3,204,702

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Non Allocated Revenue for the 2008/2009 fiscal year (Student Fees, Athletic Donations, Corporate Sponsorship etc...)

Appalachian State
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $5,068,708

Texas State
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $20,466,878

Southern Illinois
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $16,035,996

South Carolina State
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $1,195,206

North Carolina A&T
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $1,971,984

Grambling State University
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $2,714,151

Southern University
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $143,000

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
From the data here, it would appear that most of the schools that participated in the FCS Playoffs were able to eat the costs.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
From the data here, it would appear that most of the schools that participated in the FCS Playoffs were able to eat the costs.

This below looks tremendously terrible WestCoast. If anyone Texas State is running anything financial around these parts, I'd expect it to close really soon because there is ZERO profitability evident:

Texas state
Revenue - $782,547
Expenses - $2,687,794

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
This below looks tremendously terrible WestCoast. If anyone Texas State is running anything financial around these parts, I'd expect it to close really soon because there is ZERO profitability evident:

But look at this:
Texas State
Revenue

So they were able to eat the losses garnered in football.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
But look at this:
Texas State
Revenue

So they were able to eat the losses garnered in football.

Would you not agree that their football program looks to be unprofitable? :D

This type of thinking is what has this country almost upside down. A fact, is a fact mon amie.

mikebigg
June 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
If you set up a game that allowed the SWAC to also take part in the FCS playoffs, without also affecting a FCS playoff conference (MEAC) in the process, I'd be your biggest cheerleader.

But your game causes a potential rift with an existing playoff conference and further isolates the SWAC from the community I cover which is FCS football. I want the SWAC and MEAC to thrive as an FCS conferences, and I'm not sure this "bowl game" is a good way to go about it.
I also openly wonder if the SWAC should be thinking about going FBS with this attitude, as well. If your goal is to play bowl games, make as much money as possible, you don't care about national championships and TV deals are the most important thing to you, well, why not FBS? It sounds like you a lot more in common philosophically with FBS programs like ULL and ULM than FCS programs like South Carolina State and Hampton anyway.

Everyone can have their opinion... I'm of the opinion that it's the exact right way to go about it. Now, that cancels your "vote" on this matter.

If you and your conference prefers participating in the playoffs, I'm very happy for you. In fact, I have nothing against the playoffs either...but what I don't agree with is the way the NCAA gets the lion share of the loot from these games. Why? Also there's one important point that some of you pro-playoff folk seem to forget... The NCAA decided NOT to allow the SWAC to complete it's regular season schedule before the playoffs start. Rather than sit around and mope, we (the conference) was proactively entreprenueral and started a conference championship game AND now seek to expand it even further to have a Bowl game.

I'm wondering how long before other conferences either see the light or the NCAA decides to stop draining these schools of revenue from these "playoffs". Actually it should be termed "payoffs" based on the fact that yall have to "bid" to host a game.

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM

This type of thinking is what has this country almost upside down. A fact, is a fact mon amie.

I would definitely agree that their football program was not profitable at all for that fiscal year. But Texas State, along with Southern Illinois were able to off set those loses with their non allocated funds.

We have to look at how football is viewed within that athletic dept. compared to the MEAC & SWAC. It would seem that the MEAC & SWAC are trying to turn football into cash cows to supplement funds that should be coming from other areas.

That's why it would appear the the Legacy Bowl would be in play; to help supplement those funds we lack in other areas. But even if the game comes to play, we still need to develop other ways to bring in those funds to help our programs.

Personally, I am understanding more and more why this Legacy Bowl game is thought about and I agree with game. I still, however believe that we all need to keep finding ways to increase funding in our dept's and the Legacy Bowl will not be enough.

Also, the MEAC should not forgo it's AQ. I would rather see us along with the other FCS conferences, including the SWAC to address the policy of bidding on the games and work together to put together a product that The TV Networks will pay for.

mikebigg
June 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I would definitely agree that their football program was not profitable at all for that fiscal year. But Texas State, along with Southern Illinois were able to off set those loses with their non allocated funds.

We have to look at how football is viewed within that athletic dept. compared to the MEAC & SWAC. It would seem that the MEAC & SWAC are trying to turn football into cash cows to supplement funds that should be coming from other areas.

That's why it would appear the the Legacy Bowl would be in play; to help supplement those funds we lack in other areas. But even if the game comes to play, we still need to develop other ways to bring in those funds to help our programs.

Personally, I am understanding more and more why this Legacy Bowl game is thought about and I agree with game. I still, however believe that we all need to keep finding ways to increase funding in our dept's and the Legacy Bowl will not be enough.

Also, the MEAC should not forgo it's AQ. I would rather see us along with the other FCS conferences, including the SWAC to address the policy of bidding on the games and work together to put together a product that The TV Networks will pay for.

Finally... glad you were able to see what we were advocating. I will admit that it bothered me greatly that you bought into that "they're trying to segregate themselves by having a Black National Championship" rhetoric that comes up whenever the SWAC mentions doing something to benefit our programs according to what we see fit. It's as simple as this... we do not have the playoffs as an option (based on the requisites placed by the NCAA selection committee) so we looked at other things for our program. Isn't that the American way? I thought Capitalism was the preferred way of doing things... the NCAA playoffs has more of a Socialist slant in my opinion.

Anyway...my work is done here.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM

I do not think the Texas State-San Marcos numbers are right. On the basis of some of their known donations to the football programs in the last two to three years, the numbers are off the mark.

That's not true Terror. xthumbsdownx Anyone would be hard pressed to find any SWAC institution who's athl dept's mission wasn't not only to be self-sustaining but also be competitive in all sports. I think you're speaking out of pure frustration and pure emotionalism.

Well, good luck to those SWAC institutions if being self-sustaining and competitive is their goal. Based on their limited resources, it of no surprise that being competitive outside of the SWAC is obviously out of reach.

I'm wondering how long before other conferences either see the light or the NCAA decides to stop draining these schools of revenue from these "playoffs". Actually it should be termed "payoffs" based on the fact that yall have to "bid" to host a game.

Is the SWAC going to start having a neutral site tournament for baseball, softball, etc?

What happens in football is not too far off from the other sports. The SWAC is not able to compete in those sports on a consistent basis as is. May as well attempt to generate funds!

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I do not think the Texas State-San Marcos numbers are right. On the basis of some of their known donations to the football programs in the last two to three years, the numbers are off the mark.

Well the data from the OPE website didn't specify those donations. It is most likely included with the other non allocated expenses. Either way, Tx. State is in a position most HBCU's are not in terms of Non Allocated Revenue.

For instance, Southern U. only brought in $143,000 in non allocated revenue. That's just not good.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Finally... glad you were able to see what we were advocating. I will admit that it bothered me greatly that you bought into that "they're trying to segregate themselves by having a Black National Championship" rhetoric that comes up whenever the SWAC mentions doing something to benefit our programs according to what we see fit. It's as simple as this... we do not have the playoffs as an option (based on the requisites placed by the NCAA selection committee) so we looked at other things for our program. Isn't that the American way? I thought Capitalism was the preferred way of doing things... the NCAA playoffs has more of a Socialist slant in my opinion.

Anyway...my work is done here.

This is exactly how I see it as well. After being able to have information to what 99.9% of all alumni, boosters, college football fans would never get their hands on over the past 8 years, I applaud the SWAC (now ESPN) for revisiting this bowl venture.

bluedog
June 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
If that's what your priorities are, why aren't you leading the way to say Southern should be in FBS? After all, you can accomplish all three of these goals yet not be a part of FCS.

Money, attendance, and national TV coverage. You sound like the Big Ten commissioner. xlolx

And therin lie most FCS schools problem, you're to busy trying measure up to someone else standard instead really building on what you have.

1)Why do you think the BCS was created?

2)Do you think the NCCA if they could would break it up and give each of those school scraps fr what they achieve?

Now either answer the questions I pose to you prior or move on.

Here's a few more;

3) There's document proof that 99% of the schools that participate in the playoff games lose money so why would you prefer you school to go bankrupt chasing after something that only 1/16th of the schools that participate ever wins? Does that make financial cents?

4) The playoff games haven't manage to avg. in fifty years what the HB/SCG have in just a 1/4 of the time so why do you consider the playoff games a success?

5)The playoff games have been losing money for right at fifty years now, so clearly they are the welfare babies of the NCAA

6) Don't you think that the NCAA could make the games more profitable if they wanted too?

7) Why do you think they aren't?

bosshogg
June 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
MEMORANDUM RECEIVED FROM PRESIDENT AMMONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO: President Tommy Mitchell, FAMU Alumni Association

RE: Legacy Bowl

Please know that the University continues to keep your family and you in our thoughts and prayers during this hour of bereavement; however, we know that a mother's love is everlasting and we pray that warm memories will brigthen these dark days.

Recently, I have heard from several alumni regarding the proposed "Legacy Bowl" that is being discusssed by MEAC Commissioner, Dennis Thomas. While this topic was discussed at the Council of Chief Executive Officers meeting in March, no decision has been made.

I have spoken with Interim Athletic Director Michael Smith and Coach Joe Taylor. We agree that this not a good decision for FAMU. I have spoken with Commissioner Thomas and expressd that FAMU does not support the notion of a "Legacy Bowl" that would prevent FAMU From competing for a national title.

Please share this information with FAMU Alumni Chapters and know that we all agree with the sentiments that have been expressed recently by the alumni.

FAMU Yesterday, FAMU Today, FAMU Forever!

C: Executive Committee Members, FAMU NAtional Alumni Association
FAMU Boosters, Inc.
Mrs. Carmen Cummings, Director, Office of Alumni Affairs

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
MEMORANDUM RECEIVED FROM PRESIDENT AMMONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO: President Tommy Mitchell, FAMU Alumni Association

RE: Legacy Bowl

Please know that the University continues to keep your family and you in our thoughts and prayers during this hour of bereavement; however, we know that a mother's love is everlasting and we pray that warm memories will brigthen these dark days.

Recently, I have heard from several alumni regarding the proposed "Legacy Bowl" that is being discusssed by MEAC Commissioner, Dennis Thomas. While this topic was discussed at the Council of Chief Executive Officers meeting in March, no decision has been made.

I have spoken with Interim Athletic Director Michael Smith and Coach Joe Taylor. We agree that this not a good decision for FAMU. I have spoken with Commissioner Thomas and expressd that FAMU does not support the notion of a "Legacy Bowl" that would prevent FAMU From competing for a national title.

Please share this information with FAMU Alumni Chapters and know that we all agree with the sentiments that have been expressed recently by the alumni.

FAMU Yesterday, FAMU Today, FAMU Forever!

C: Executive Committee Members, FAMU NAtional Alumni Association
FAMU Boosters, Inc.
Mrs. Carmen Cummings, Director, Office of Alumni Affairs

Congrats Florida A&M!

The stance of the FAMU 'powers' is very consistent with that of other fans around the MEAC and the Football Championship Subdivision.

The MEAC should not forfeit it's automatic bid for a spot in the Legacy Bowl!

bluedog
June 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
They have been giving them that line of "we feel your pain" for years and they fall for every time. Next they'll be singing them the ole negro spiritual "we shall overcome"

Besides what some of the MEAC fans don't get is we could care less if they participate or not. We'll simply replace them with one of the other conf. schools whose fans are spouting the same rhetoric but will be the first to jump at the chance for that type of payday.

BTW why didn't they upload it in pdf form to verify the validity?

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Besides what some of the MEAC fans don't get is we could care less if they participate or not. We'll simply replace them with one of the other conf. schools whose fans are spouting the same rhetoric but will be the first to jump at the chance for that type of payday.

Again, I do not think you are seeing the point...

It is clear that the MEAC would like to participate, but not if it takes away their teams that are selected for the playoffs via the automatic bid and any at-larges.

If the game gets off the ground, it will be SWAC vs MEAC, but I can assure you it will not be the automatic bid holder of the league, as this is a league that values its spot in the NCAA Division I championship competition.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
And therin lie most FCS schools problem, you're to busy trying measure up to someone else standard instead really building on what you have.

1)Why do you think the BCS was created?

To form an oligopoly and keep the lion's share of broadcast money in the hands of a few institutions.

2)Do you think the NCCA if they could would break it up and give each of those school scraps fr what they achieve?

Yes. Unfortunately, the BC$ schools have learned to love the money, so it's unlikely to be broken up anytime soon.

3) There's document proof that 99% of the schools that participate in the playoff games lose money so why would you prefer you school to go bankrupt chasing after something that only 1/16th of the schools that participate ever wins? Does that make financial cents?

You're falling into the trap that collegiate athletics needs to be a moneymaking operation. What if I said that every Patriot League school "loses money" technically on football? What if the PL schools aren't going bankrupt or breaking any rules, but think that football is a good way to rally alumni and students, attract good students and further the education process?

I understand that the financial considerations for the SWAC and PL are different, and that the SWAC in large part needs these classics in order to stay alive, so for you guys it makes some sense. But it just seems like the missions are so different - and if your mission is indeed to make as much money as possible, you should play in FBS.

4) The playoff games haven't manage to avg. in fifty years what the HB/SCG have in just a 1/4 of the time so why do you consider the playoff games a success?

Because the playoff games produce a national champion, something FBS and the SWAC do not do with their moneymaking formats.

5)The playoff games have been losing money for right at fifty years now, so clearly they are the welfare babies of the NCAA.

Mission.

6) Don't you think that the NCAA could make the games more profitable if they wanted too?

7) Why do you think they aren't?

Until recently, FCS football was seen as an oddity - and a stark contrast to FBS, where the antiquated money-making bowl system means that a true FBS champion cannot be crowned. Any success with the FCS means that FBS looks bad - and the call for FBS playoffs, which has been droning for decades, gets ever louder. It's lack of promotion is due to the fact that if the NCAA gives a lot of attention to it, FBS looks bad, so it was not publicized.

But something funny happened. FCS football coverage has improved immensely due to events like App State's upset of Michigan and a groundswell of support for the FCS as a subdivision. ESPN is said to be extremely happy with their new playoff deal, and more $$$ is coming to the NCAA and the schools as a result. It may never be a huge moneymaker like the Bayou Classic or the NCAA tournament, but it will continue to grow in popularity and will continue to get fans.

And - yes - the SWAC has a part in that growth, too. The SWAC's (and MEAC's) coverage on ESPN and NBC has helped get FCS football out to a larger audience, and people have responded. Imagine if the Ivy League and SWAC ever got their acts together and participated in the FCS playoffs - it would make an already big event even bigger.

I'm not just a guy that goes to PWC games, either. I've been to the Urban League Classic, and seen Hampton, B-CU, NCAT and Howard play football, and I've dragged my wife and son away from Disney to watch HBCU's play. I love the whole thing. I just want to see it part of FCS, not part of a sort-of cost containment with bowls and championship games. I love the classics - but I have to believe classics and playoffs can coexists. It's just a matter of aligning missions.

Panther88
June 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
To form an oligopoly and keep the lion's share of broadcast money in the hands of a few institutions.

Yes. Unfortunately, the BC$ schools have learned to love the money, so it's unlikely to be broken up anytime soon, unfortunately.

You're falling into the trap that collegiate athletics needs to be a moneymaking operation. What if I said that every Patriot League school "loses money" technically on football? What if the PL schools aren't going bankrupt or breaking any rules, but think that football is a good way to rally alumni and students, attract good students and further the education process?

I understand that the financial considerations for the SWAC and PL are different, and that the SWAC in large part needs these classics in order to stay alive, so for you guys it makes some sense. But it just seems like the missions are so different - and if your mission is indeed to make as much money as possible, you should play in FBS.

Because the playoff games produce a national champion, something FBS and the SWAC do not do with their moneymaking formats.

Mission.

Until recently, FCS football was seen as an oddity - and a stark contrast to FBS, where the antiquated money-making bowl system means that a true FBS champion cannot be crowned. Any success with the FCS means that FBS looks bad - and the call for FBS playoffs, which has been droning for decades, gets ever louder. It's lack of promotion is due to the fact that if the NCAA gives a lot of attention to it, FBS looks bad, so it was not publicized.

But something funny happened. FCS football coverage has improved immensely due to events like App State's upset of Michigan and a groundswell of support for the FCS as a subdivision. ESPN is said to be extremely happy with their new playoff deal, and more $$$ is coming to the NCAA and the schools as a result. It may never be a huge moneymaker like the Bayou Classic or the NCAA tournament, but it will continue to grow in popularity and will continue to get fans.

And - yes - the SWAC has a part in that growth, too. The SWAC's (and MEAC's) coverage on ESPN and NBC has helped get FCS football out to a larger audience, and people have responded. Imagine if the Ivy League and SWAC ever got their acts together and participated in the FCS playoffs - it would make an already big event even bigger.

I'm not just a guy that goes to PWC games, either. I've been to the Urban League Classic, and seen Hampton, B-CU, NCAT and Howard play football, and I've dragged my wife and son away from Disney to watch HBCU's play. I love the whole thing. I just want to see it part of FCS, not part of a sort-of cost containment with bowls and championship games. I love the classics - but I have to believe classics and playoffs can coexists. It's just a matter of aligning missions.

This is the most intelligent post from a non-HBCU grad I've ever read on this site. Props & rep pts to Lehigh Football Nation. Very good LFN. Very good.

bluedog
June 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM

Yes. Unfortunately, the BC$ schools have learned to love the money, so it's unlikely to be broken up anytime soon, unfortunately.

Mission.

Wow and you all accomplish all of that is just fifty years?

Clearly you felt the need to express something that I never ask .The only one that's fallen into a trap my friend, are those that are gullible enough to actually think money isn't the motivating factor in sports today.

Th SWAC along with the Ivy are the two most historic conferences in all of football bar NONE.

We have been here since the beginning and will be here at the end while other fledgling conferences fall to the wayside chasing after an illusion that the NCCA has given them like a dog chases after his tail.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Clearly you felt the need to express something that I never ask .

True, but nobody will ever be able to say that I don't know what HBCU football is about on the field.

The only one that's fallen into a trap my friend, are those that are gullible enough to actually think money isn't the motivating factor in sports today.

If that is true - then why not play in FBS? I keep asking the question, and nobody responds. FBS is where folks play bowls and - supposedly - make money. Why not go for it?

Th SWAC along with the Ivy are the two most historic conferences in all of football bar NONE.

We have been here since the beginning and will be here at the end while other fledgling conferences fall to the wayside chasing after an illusion that the NCCA has given them like a dog chases after his tail.

That is true - the SWAC and Ivy League are the most historic conferences in all of football. But your missions couldn't be more different.

The Ivies turned their backs on bowls and national TV contracts in 1948 on principle. They've continued to turn their backs on these things - and they incorrectly, and hypocritically, include the FCS playoffs in this postseason ban, mind you - and they've been married to that philosophy for more than fifty years.

You're saying the SWAC is about playing in their own bowls and negotiating national TV contracts to make benjamins. It's hard to express how different the mindsets appear to be.

bluedog
June 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
True, but nobody will ever be able to say that I don't know what HBCU football is about on the field.

If that is true - then why not play in FBS? I keep asking the question, and nobody responds. FBS is where folks play bowls and - supposedly - make money. Why not go for it?

That is true - the SWAC and Ivy League are the most historic conferences in all of football. But your missions couldn't be more different.

And this is where 99.99% of FCS schools are lost and trap. Our mission aren't different. The SWAC and the Ivy mission has always been about educating young minds and producing great citizens to represent our conf. and do great things across this country and the world, sports was always just another avenue to accomplish that goal.

People like yourself have been so got up in chasing after the illusion of the golden goose, that point seems to escape you and is one of the main reason other conferences have changed so many time in a third of the time of our existence and why it was so easy for the NCAA to throw you a bone just to keep you out of their hair and where the real money is.

The Ivies turned their backs on bowls and national TV contracts in 1948 on principle. They've continued to turn their backs on these things - and they incorrectly, and hypocritically, include the FCS playoffs in this postseason ban, mind you - and they've been married to that philosophy for more than fifty years.

You're saying the SWAC is about playing in their own bowls and negotiating national TV contracts to make benjamins. It's hard to express how different the mindsets appear to be.

But hey as I've always said this is America and everyone free to do what they chose as long as it doesn't interfere or force someone else to follow their philosophy.

So if you like it I love it. Hopefully one day you'll mature enough understand that.

mikebigg
June 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM

Here's the bottomline to it all... The NCAA never gave the SWAC an auto bid. Rather than sit around and "wish" for their selection, we decided to be proactive and seek other opportunities more to our liking. All the NCAA's has to do (or could have done) was move the playoff back a week... or prior to 1999 when we established the SCG... select an at-large team from among those eligible to participate. They didn't think it was necessary and consequently, we didn't think it the playoffs were necessary.

We've moved on... Rarely do you see someone from the SWAC commenting FIRST about the playoff to put down on the rest of FCS (sans the Ivys) decision to feel they are the best thing for their schools/conferences. But the minute the SWAC mentions doing something to benefit our programs/conference all hell break loose from a bunch of obviously insecure folk who love telling us how to eat our soup.

Please continue to go to the playoffs and take the MEAC with you if that's what they want to do. Personally, I'd prefer that the SWAC and ESPN negotiated something with the IVY league schools.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Speaking of interesting numbers, I guess everyone reports their intake differently from basketball as far as guarantee games or else all these schools would be making...

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news/companies/basketball_profits/index.htm

Alabama A & M University 643,171 643,171 - 0.0%
Alabama State University 686,339 686,339 - 0.0%
Alcorn State University 533,562 533,562 - 0.0%
Grambling State University 440,356 530,570 (90,214) -20.5
Mississippi Valley State University 584,144 662,467 (78,323) -13.4
Prairie View A & M University 890,464 693,091 197,373 22.2%
Southern University and A & M College 486,970 486,970 - 0.0%
Texas Southern University 1,947,792 651,710 1,296,082 66.5%
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff 747,472 504,646 242,826 32.5%

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Here's the bottomline to it all... The NCAA never gave the SWAC an auto bid. Rather than sit around and "wish" for their selection, we decided to be proactive and seek other opportunities more to our liking. All the NCAA's has to do (or could have done) was move the playoff back a week... or prior to 1999 when we established the SCG... select an at-large team from among those eligible to participate. They didn't think it was necessary and consequently, we didn't think it the playoffs were necessary.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_23_16/ai_59019432/

This quote from the then-SWAC commissioner would seem to prove otherwise.

Black Issues in Higher Education, Jan 6, 2000 by Craig T. Greenlee

"The decision was based strictly on economics," [SWAC commissioner Rudy Washington] says. "In the SWAC, there's great fan support, so we decided to turn that into dollars with a SWAC championship game. When you look at the history of the playoffs, it speaks volumes. Our schools haven't fared well and you don't make any money, not even in the championship game.

"I have yet to come across any sensible rationale for us going to the I-AA playoffs. Some schools go to the playoffs and actually lose money. There's nothing wrong with playing for a national championship. [I]But it all comes down to answering one question: Do you want to play for prestige, or do you want to play for the money?"

Looks to me that your commissioner made a conscious decision to turn away from the playoffs for money.

We've moved on... Rarely do you see someone from the SWAC commenting FIRST about the playoff to put down on the rest of FCS (sans the Ivys) decision to feel they are the best thing for their schools/conferences. But the minute the SWAC mentions doing something to benefit our programs/conference all hell break loose from a bunch of obviously insecure folk who love telling us how to eat our soup.

Please continue to go to the playoffs and take the MEAC with you if that's what they want to do. Personally, I'd prefer that the SWAC and ESPN negotiated something with the IVY league schools.

First of all, for the reasons I'm mentioned before (that 1948 thing) that will never happen. Second of all - and I'll say it again - if your mission is to make as many benjamins as possible and play in conference championship games and bowls, why not go to FBS? That is more in accordance to your overall vision of athletics.

And that's not just fans - obviously, it's a feeling that came from the very top of the SWAC as well in 2000.

SAME OLD G
June 3rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Second of all - and I'll say it again - if your mission is to make as many benjamins as possible and play in conference championship games and bowls, why not go to FBS?

Because moving to FBS wasn't necessary to make this move (not to go to the playoffs). Your posting of Rudy Washington's comment simply supports MB's argument.

mikebigg
June 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Because moving to FBS wasn't necessary to make this move (not to go to the playoffs). Your posting of Rudy Washington's comment simply supports MB's argument.

He's too busy trying to make a reference to the conference playoff record as being the reason. It was a factor I'm sure but it wasn't the reason. Regardless of how the teams were doing, they weren't making any money.

Ok...now stop right there. Haven't I voiced my opinion on many occassions and on here that the playoffs are not profitable for us. Haven't I also stated that those who prefer the playoffs have my blessings to go and pursue as they please.

Okay... now that brings us to now. The SWAC has an offer on the table from ESPN to participate in a Bowl game for a reported (on here but not confirmed) $3million dollar payment. All that's needed is another Conference... There was a thread where some Meac fans stated they prefer not. I then asked if there was a possibility that other conferences might want to participate. If not...all they had to do was say "Naw, man not for me". Instead it turned into a regurgitation of opinions on why the SWAC wasn't in the playoffs and what course of direction the SWAC should take...even to the point of suggesting we leave FCS. What nerve!

But still, I'm cool with that. Some folk tend to criticize that which that either can't understand or can't accomplish.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM

You stole the words right out of my mouth!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM

You stole the words right out of my mouth!

He's too busy trying to make a reference to the conference playoff record as being the reason. It was a factor I'm sure but it wasn't the reason. Regardless of how the teams were doing, they weren't making any money.

First and foremost, I never made a reference in this entire thread to the conference playoff record. I lifted a quote where your former commish did that, but I don't care about what your record is/was. If anything, I want the SWAC (and Ivy, for that matter) in the playoffs.

Moving to FBS may not be necessary to make this move towards a bowl - but, honestly, how well can this work in a subdivision where all the conferences are either competing for a championship (the ten autobid conferences), want to be (Great West, PFL) or oppose it on principle (Ivy)? It guarantees at best - whichever conference you get the team from - you'll be getting an also-ran to the playoffs.

The Gridiron Classic matched up two schools from the PFL and NEC that were (originally) unlikely to get a postseason invite. That only worked because - luckily - they matched two conference champions every year. It also worked since they didn't care if it made money or not.

But this isn't the same case for you guys. You want the SWAC champion to play some also-ran - maybe from the MEAC, maybe not - for cash. If it's not an attempt at an HBCU championship, all it is is a naked dash for cash.

(Another question I have is - why would you want to give up the SWAC championship game for that, anyway? Wouldn't the SWAC championship mean more money that stays in the conference? Again, something doesn't smell right.)

But you guys seem enamored for the SWAC to make a naked dash for cash. It may be necessary; I don't know. But if that's the case, you should find a home in FBS instead because that's the philosophy of all the teams there.

And if you are happy with a naked dash for cash, why are you so pizzed that many MEAC fans aren't interested? You should be saying in terms of them:

hey as I've always said this is America and everyone free to do what they chose as long as it doesn't interfere or force someone else to follow their philosophy.

mikebigg
June 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
But LeHigh, yall make a naked dash for a trophy. I mean, I know it says National Championship and all, but it's still a trophy. The SWAC no longer (regardless to who initiated it) participates in that tourney to obtain that trophy. We know the reason why...it requires changing our regular season schedule ending time (something we're obviously not interested in doing). So since their is no playoff available, we sought other means.

No as for cancelling the current SCG in lieu of the Bowl game... for one thing the payout is bigger. Now if it was me, I'd like to see the SCG continue and the Bowl game. That's additional reveunue...but apparently either the NCAA won't allow it or ESPN don't wanna risk taking the team with the lesser record. That's why they will probably go with the best overall "regular" season record since we play in the SCG.

Scenario: It's possible that a team other than Bama State, SU, Gram has an impressive enuff record but has been eliminated from winning the conference championship. Would the NCAA consider taking said team. For the sake of argument, say Grambling goes undefeated including a win over FCS LaTech. PV's only loss is to Grambling by a close margin and Grambling goes into the BC already conference champ. Would the NCAA at large folk give PV a bid?

So theorethically, the SWAC can participate in the playoffs. IF Selected!

3rd Coast Tiger
June 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
In the spirit of taking a page out of Texas Terror's very own "cut & paste" journalism, I'd like to post a comment/reaction directed towards Texas Terror based off him pasting a comment from an AGS poster over on TSPN:

Originally Posted by BgJag
The bottom line in this discussion and the legacy discussion is $$$ and the economics of running an athletic program. That's why the SLC is imploding with members wanting to leave, some before they even play a football game and your employer moved to D-3. Since you work in the AD dept no need giving you a history lesson, just look at your own conference and place of employment.

For those of you in the dark about what he's referring to:

Texas State, UT-San Antonio (am I missing anyone) are doing studies on whether or not their program should venture into the FBS classification while of course leaving behind the prestigious and most coveted FCS division of NCAA's Division I.

We are also well versed that in the event Texas State makes this move, Sam Houston officials expressed they would take the same stance on the movement of divisions.

Now, due to financial losses and the current economic conditions happening in America (especially Louisiana) University of New Orleans has already submitted NCAA paperwork to move from Div. I status down to Div. III status because the ends don't justify the means.

Oh yeah, hope you enjoyed your history lesson.

xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

BgJag
June 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
don't forget Lamar, they haven't played a game yet and already announced they're moving up also.

Panther88
June 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
don't forget Lamar, they haven't played a game yet and already announced they're moving up also.

Bolting the hell out of FCS. Wonder why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CHAAAAAAAAAAA-CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!! lol

3rd Coast Tiger
June 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Now ain't that the saucer calling the plate white? xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

mikebigg
June 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
The point that our FCS brethren is missing is that we're not dissing their decision to participate in the playoffs... not at all. And no, we ain't running from getting beat by teams. Hell, we are running from getting beat for little or no pay. Notice how we've played football Big 12 and Big East squads too and those were blowouts.

What we don't understand is why participate in something that the NCAA is making money from? The fact that the SWAC is questioning the money paid from these games to the NCAA is in the best interest of the playoff participating conferences. Do a Hybird of how it is now and pair these conferences geographically in these tourneys...find a neutral site if possible and have at it. Follow the NFL format if need be...somebody's got to be smart enuff to figure out away to schedule these games. Or if keep in it's present form..tell the NCAA that the payout to the schools are way to small. Or hell, stay how it is... but we'll pass.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Texas State, UT-San Antonio (am I missing anyone) are doing studies on whether or not their program should venture into the FBS classification while of course leaving behind the prestigious and most coveted FCS division of NCAA's Division I.

We are also well versed that in the event Texas State makes this move, Sam Houston officials expressed they would take the same stance on the movement of divisions.

3rd Coast,

Sam Houston State has already begun to study the possibility of a move to FBS, which is part of a much larger analysis of the department. You can check out information on the subject here - http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=65483

Also, Lamar has stated that they plan to be FBS down the road, that according to their AD Billy Tubbs - http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69245

Now, due to financial losses and the current economic conditions happening in America (especially Louisiana) University of New Orleans has already submitted NCAA paperwork to move from Div. I status down to Div. III status because the ends don't justify the means.

Not sure the book is closed on higher education in Louisiana, especially as it pertains to the world of collegiate athletics!

They have not announced they are moving up, but that they plan to. Unlike UTSA, they have thrown their hat into the SLC and will play there in 2011 and 2012 (do not believe SLC schedules are worked out beyond that, unless we're up to 2014 now).

3rd Coast Tiger
June 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
So why the desire to move to FBS for those SLC schools TexasTerror? Is it because those schools have dominated FCS and they've become bored?

Panther88
June 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
So why the desire to move to FBS for those SLC schools TexasTerror? Is it because those schools have dominated FCS and they've become bored?

LoL @ "dominated FCS" xlolxxrotatehxxliarx

BgJag
June 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
3rd Coast,

Sam Houston State has already begun to study the possibility of a move to FBS, which is part of a much larger analysis of the department. You can check out information on the subject here - http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=65483

Also, Lamar has stated that they plan to be FBS down the road, that according to their AD Billy Tubbs - http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69245

Not sure the book is closed on higher education in Louisiana, especially as it pertains to the world of collegiate athletics!

They have not announced they are moving up, but that they plan to. Unlike UTSA, they have thrown their hat into the SLC and will play there in 2011 and 2012 (do not believe SLC schedules are worked out beyond that, unless we're up to 2014 now).

xscanx

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM

If you ask Lamar, TXST and UTSA - they'll tell you that they feel that they are at a higher level.

TXST's committee has had members that have said that they are at a higher level academically and athletically than the rest of the SLC - namely the directional schools in Louisiana.

UTSA has ideas of grandeur, especially since San Antonio is the biggest city in America without a Div I football program.

Lamar just does not get it, living in the past - but hey, what do you expect? They only have top 15 recruiting classes in the country every year in basketball and can not seem to win a SLC basketball title! They remind me a bit of the Southern fans...

813Jag
June 4th, 2010, 06:45 AM
If you ask Lamar, TXST and UTSA - they'll tell you that they feel that they are at a higher level.

TXST's committee has had members that have said that they are at a higher level academically and athletically than the rest of the SLC - namely the directional schools in Louisiana.

UTSA has ideas of grandeur, especially since San Antonio is the biggest city in America without a Div I football program.

Lamar just does not get it, living in the past - but hey, what do you expect? They only have top 15 recruiting classes in the country every year in basketball and can not seem to win a SLC basketball title! They remind me a bit of the Southern fans...
Honest question since you love to get your digs in on Southern, what percentage of your perception of Southern fans is based on actual face to face human interaction? I'm sure you've spent lots of time around them to actually make the comparison between two schools. Or do you base it on the internet, which only makes up a fraction of any schools fanbase.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM

TRANSLATION:

The current FCS financial structure "ain't" paying the bills!

DSUrocks07
June 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
It completely obvious to me that this "Bowl Game" isn't in DSU's best interests...I only hope that our administrators and athletic director realizes this as well. We are a northern school in a "southern football" style conference. It has less to do about the SWAC and how they do business and more to do with how I feel that DSU should do things in regards to being an FCS school in the same state as an FCS powerhouse (UD).

bluedog
June 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
It completely obvious to me that this "Bowl Game" isn't in DSU's best interests...I only hope that our administrators and athletic director realizes this as well. We are a northern school in a "southern football" style conference. It has less to do about the SWAC and how they do business and more to do with how I feel that DSU should do things in regards to being an FCS school in the same state as an FCS powerhouse (UD).

Are you talking about the same DSU that's only won six title in 76 yrs and avg 2500 fans a game in the 21st century?

Why would you think that you would be invited to a bowl game?

What do you bring to the table other then the band?

DSUrocks07
June 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Are you talking about the same DSU that's only won six title in 76 yrs and avg 2500 fans a game in the 21st century?

Why would you think that you would be invited to a bowl game?

What do you bring to the table other then the band?

Thanks for making my point for me...xcoffeex

What reasons would the DSU administrators go for this plan at all? For $80K? Please...xnonono2x

This is why I am against giving up our AQ for this. We want to compete on a national level. And those six titles in 76 years, as you put it, leads credence to it as well. We don't want those years that we win the conference lead only to a "Heritage Bowl II" appearance...we want those years (if few and far between) to be years where we can step up on the national stage and try win a national championship.

MACHIAVELLI
June 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Imagine if the Ivy League and SWAC ever got their acts together and participated in the FCS playoffs - it would make an already big event even bigger.

I just want to see it part of FCS, not part of a sort-of cost containment with bowls and championship games. I love the classics - but I have to believe classics and playoffs can coexists. It's just a matter of aligning missions.

So you want us to leave our moneymaking formats to go to a format that loses money. It seems our format as you say is in line with BCS way. But you haven't addressed the real issue of why the NCAA doesn't let the FCS schools make any real money in the playoffs. Don't think for one minute that if the BCS format money and all was available at the FCS level the playoffs would be a memory.

MACHIAVELLI
June 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM

This is the same DSU that coaches/AD wanted to disavow your legacy by telling recruits you are not an HBCU?

mikebigg
June 6th, 2010, 04:36 AM
So you want us to leave our moneymaking formats to go to a format that loses money. It seems our format as you say is in line with BCS way. But you haven't addressed the real issue of why the NCAA doesn't let the FCS schools make any real money in the playoffs. Don't think for one minute that if the BCS format money and all was available at the FCS level the playoffs would be a memory.

That's my biggest reason for opposing as well...First in order to participate, some of our schools would have to change the date of our biggest revenue generating REGULAR season game in order to participate in a Playoff game that makes money for the already MEGA rich NCAA. What does the NCAA do other than collect the money? They don't even spend much advertising dollars on the games.

This is the same DSU that coaches/AD wanted to disavow your legacy by telling recruits you are not an HBCU?

That's shameful and disappointing!!!!

DSUrocks07
June 6th, 2010, 08:12 AM

xcoffeex link?

AGAIN. All you're doing is making my point for me...I thought you SWAC fans wanted this game, but all you've been doing is giving DSU a reason to NOT participate...so why should we vote for this?

"For the greater good?" xrolleyesx

DSUrocks07
June 6th, 2010, 08:18 AM

That's shameful and disappointing!!!!

xrotatehxxlolx

I could easily make incriminating and slanderous statements about Grambling without any facts to back them up...but the difference is that I actually have respect for your history. But if ya'll want to take something and run with it then thats your perogative...xsmileyclapx

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Point of clarification about the NCAA Playoffs.

1. According to the rules, Road teams DOES NOT place bids. Seeded teams DO NOT place bids to host games.

2. The NCAA pay's ALL travel costs for schools to host sites and to the Champ. Game Site.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Wait, so you are saying that outside of the host team's getting a cut into their gate - that everyone (outside of per diem for keeping kids after school closes for the semester) splits even?

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wait, so you are saying that outside of the host team's getting a cut into their gate - that everyone (outside of per diem for keeping kids after school closes for the semester) splits even?

Yes. xcoffeex

bluedog
June 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for making my point for me...xcoffeex

What reasons would the DSU administrators go for this plan at all? For $80K? Please...xnonono2x

This is why I am against giving up our AQ for this. We want to compete on a national level. And those six titles in 76 years, as you put it, leads credence to it as well. We don't want those years that we win the conference lead only to a "Heritage Bowl II" appearance...we want those years (if few and far between) to be years where we can step up on the national stage and try win a national championship.

1) Your math is really horrible. How you calculate 80k out of $3.5mil plus % of gate I wouldn't even start to try and figure

2) Dude you avg 4,000 fans game at $5-$15 per, that's $60,375 (on the high side) before expenses, you don't know what $80k even look like.

That's like a homeless person bragging that he refuse food stamps xrolleyesx

bluedog
June 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Point of clarification about the NCAA Playoffs.

1. According to the rules, Road teams DOES NOT place bids. Seeded teams DO NOT place bids to host games.

2. The NCAA pay's ALL travel costs for schools to host sites and to the Champ. Game Site.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

Why didn't you just simply copy and paste the rule along with its statue/article # instead of a link to pdf book?

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Why didn't you just simply copy and paste the rule along with its statue/article # instead of a link to pdf book?

Official Traveling Party
[Reference: Per Diem and Transportation in the Division I General Section.]
Transportation expenses and a $120 per diem will be provided for each member of the official traveling party. The size of the official traveling party is 130 persons for the firstround, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, and 145 persons for the championship game, including a maximum of 60 student-athletes in uniform for preliminary round games and 70 student-athletes in uniform for the championship game.

(Page 25 of 2009 FCS Football Handbook)

Expense Reimbursement Form. Expense forms with instructions will be available on the NCAA Web site (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=36359). Forms can be mailed to the director of athletics of each competing institution, if they are unable to be
accessed via the Web site. Please contact the travel department at the national office (317/917-6222; e-mail: [email protected]) to receive hard copies of the form. Completed forms http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

(page 10 of 2009 FCS Football Handbook)

Here is a link to the document that explicitly expresses NCAA Post-Season Per-Diem & Travel Policies

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc/2009-10+D1+champs+trav+policies.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc

BIDDING FOR THE PLAYOFF GAMES

Beginning in late October, Championship information and forms are mailed from NCAA national office to prospective championship participants. The deadline for submitting the completed package is two weeks later.

Most crucial for teams that want to host games is the proposed budget because once the four seeded teams are selected, the host site selection criteria is examined.

With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal host sites, the committee considers the minimum financial guarantees, 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:

First round $30,000
Quarterfinal $40,000
Semifinal $50,000

Then if the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.

Once the game is played, the guarantee is paid to the NCAA from the gross receipts (minus the schools budgeted and unbudgeted expenses) along with 75% of the remainder. The NCAA uses the capital to pay for running the championship, travel, etc.

A financial report from each championship site must be submitted online to the NCAA not later than 60 days after the competition.

When determining host sites for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, the committee decides the location based on quality of facility, revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, attendance history and potential, team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), student-athlete well-being (travel, missed class time, etc.), and previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not bid on by the schools involved, the committee will contact the schools and give them the chance to submit a bid. If neither is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site selection criteria in NCAA Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2009/11/16/how-the-2009-d-i-football-championship-w?blog=5

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM
1) Your math is really horrible. How you calculate 80k out of $3.5mil plus % of gate I wouldn't even start to try and figure

2) Dude you avg 4,000 fans game at $5-$15 per, that's $60,375 (on the high side) before expenses, you don't know what $80k even look like.

That's like a homeless person bragging that he refuse food stamps xrolleyesx

Well DSURocks was simply using an assumption that all 13 MEAC Members will split "shares" of the payout. This is after takes a cut of about $300,000

And high side assumption would be around $136,000 a "share" for each of the MEAC football members only and the Conference doesn't take a cut of the $1.5 million.

All of this surrounding the Legacy Bowl is based off of speculation from the Jaguar Journal Radio Show. The issue is that neither conference has issued a statement regarding this rumor so all people have to go on is the report from the Jaguar Journal.

The only official document that is out there is a Press Release from the FAMU president that states his university's stance against the Legacy Bowl.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
The only official document that is out there is a Press Release from the FAMU president that states his university's stance against the Legacy Bowl.

Sorry, that's funny. xlolx

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM
All of this surrounding the Legacy Bowl is based off of speculation from the Jaguar Journal Radio Show. The issue is that neither conference has issued a statement regarding this rumor so all people have to go on is the report from the Jaguar Journal.

The same show that says that they have the votes in the MEAC to make this happen?

I am sure he is not alone amongst the football schools in his stance against it. Have a hard time believing South Carolina State would vote for a Legacy Bowl...

My feeling is that the MEAC Presidents are FOR it, as long as it does not cause a hindrance to their national title pursuit. I am sure that they are pretty confident that the No. 3 team in the MEAC is a suitable replacement, especially if it allows for such a good HBCU match-up.

bluedog
June 6th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Well DSURocks was simply using an assumption that all 13 MEAC Members will split "shares" of the payout. This is after takes a cut of about $300,000

And high side assumption would be around $136,000 a "share" for each of the MEAC football members only and the Conference doesn't take a cut of the $1.5 million.

OK let me make it simple for you. I was talking about DSU regular season attendance and gate. My point was that it's really silly to complain about a 80k payout (albeit wrong calculation) when

1) Your school doesn't even make that and probably never have.

2) Your chances of being invited to a bowl with your history is slim and none

3) If you did get 80k in a split it would be just that because 9 1/2 out of 10 you'll be sitting at home getting paid for nothing.

4) If you can get paid more for doing nothing then actually participating in a game, you would be two sides of this way crazy not to take it.

But as I've always said , this is America and everybody has the opportunity to be rich or be a fool.

I won't stand in the way of either.

WestCoastAggie
June 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Lets talk about Non Allocated Revenue. Non Allocated revenue would include Student Athletic Fees, Donations, Athletic Sponsorships etc... These funds are used to sure up any short falls that Football, Basketball or any other athletic team may incur. That's where The big disparity is between the MEAC & SWAC and other FCS Conferences. This is due to various reasons including Enrollment size, The amount of yearly Alumni donations to athletics, Corporate Sponsorships and State Funding in some cases.

2008 Non-Allocated Revenue

MEAC Non Allocated Revenue - $24,382,645

SWAC Non Allocated Revenue - $13,588,533

CAA Non Allocated Revenue - $111,081,212

Southern Conf. Non Allocated Revenue - $58,870,384

Southland Conf. Non Allocated Revenue - $50,005,937

Source: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetAggregatedData.aspx

And from Jafus:
this is the average conference breakdown per member institution in the sport of football.

For football in 2008:

MEAC revenues: $26,602,747 / 11 = $2,418,431.55 average per member institution
MEAC expenses: $24,043,418 / 11 = $2,185,765.27 average per member institution
Net profit of $2,559,329 / 11 = $232,666.27 average per member institution

SWAC revenues: $17,200,111 / 10 = $1,720,011.10 average per member institution
SWAC expenses: $17,917,347 / 10 = $1,791,734.70 average per member institution
Net loss of – $717,236 / 10 = –$71,723.60 average per member institution

---

1. CAA Non Allocated Revenue - $111,081,212 / 12 = $9,256,767.67 average per member institution

average percentage difference between conferences = 29.3%

2. Southern Conf. Non Allocated Revenue - $58,870,384 / 9 = $6,541,153.78 average per member institution

average percentage difference between conferences = 4.5%

3. Southland Conf. Non Allocated Revenue - $50,005,937 / 8 = $6,250,742.13 average per member institution

average percentage difference between conferences = 64.5%

4. MEAC Non Allocated Revenue - $24,382,645 / 11 = $2,216,604.09 average per member institution

average percentage difference between conferences = 38.7%

5. SWAC Non Allocated Revenue - $13,588,533 / 11 = $1,358,853.30 average per member institution

Here are some schools:

Appalachian State
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $5,068,708

Texas State
Revenue

Southern Illinois
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $16,035,996

South Carolina State
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $1,195,206

North Carolina A&T
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $1,971,984

Grambling State University
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $2,714,151

Southern University
Revenue
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport - $143,000

Lehigh Football Nation
June 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM

However, DSU could quailfy for the FCS playoffs and make a run at a national championship. All they would need to be is good. Isn't that one of the things that is supposed to make FCS great? That teams that earn their way to the postseason get there and teams that are floating around .500 sit at home?

bluedog
June 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
However, DSU could quailfy for the FCS playoffs and make a run at a national championship. All they would need to be is good. Isn't that one of the things that is supposed to make FCS great? That teams that earn their way to the postseason get there and teams that are floating around .500 sit at home?

As I've already explain to you, I don't care to have conversations with people that only want to discus their view points and avoid answering direct questioning.

FYI if they were good they would also qualify to play in the Legacy bowl game.

DSUrocks07
June 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
OK let me make it simple for you. I was talking about DSU regular season attendance and gate. My point was that it's really silly to complain about a 80k payout (albeit wrong calculation) when

1) Your school doesn't even make that and probably never have.

3) If you did get 80k in a split it would be just that because 9 1/2 out of 10 you'll be sitting at home getting paid for nothing.

xcoffeex

Yup we never made $80K before for a football game EVER...xsmiley_wix

And if 9 (and a half) times out of 10 we will NEVER be in this game...then again "WHY WOULD WE VOTE FOR IT...?" xrolleyesx

4) If you can get paid more for doing nothing then actually participating in a game, you would be two sides of this way crazy not to take it.

xwhistlex

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM
FYI: The MEAC Commissh placed a "Gag Order" on member schools to prevent them from speaking about the Legacy Bowl.

I don't think that worked too well. xrotatehx

Sonic98
June 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I think this is a dumb idea. IT will be no more successful than the Heritage Bowl. There is no point. Just stick with the SWAC-MEAC challenge where you can custom pick the two teams each year and call it a day. Anything that takes a single non-SWAC or non-MEAC game out of rotation is no good

I was wondering about that. We were down for a while too and we're just getting things rolling again over at Swac Fans. I think we're gonna bring some new blood to the site. I guess all the older members are still upset about the long down time

I agree. But when people think with a small mind what do you expect.

Sonic98
June 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Well, we actually tried to team up with MeacFans once, but they never stuck with what we were trying to do

ElonAlum
June 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
If this does happen Id love to see SC State come to the SoCon and the Big South grab a few other MEAC schools.

Heres the debate.........would the CAA, Big South and SoCon want any MEAC schools? If so which ones??

It would be interesting to see SC State playing App/Elon/Southern every year!

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well, we actually tried to team up with MeacFans once, but they never stuck with what we were trying to dothis is a microstatement on this whole discussion. It takes a SWAC guy, the MEAC commissioner, to try it and it will come to the same conclusion as merging the MEAC and SWAC boards.

Sonic98
June 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The MEAC has teams that have prospered in the playoffs. The SWAC has been close but never won a playoff game in 19 tries. xcoffeex

That is why we need to go back to sending teams to the playoffs and be dedicated to actually playing other playoff teams in the regular season

I would not have a problem with Keeping the SCG or the Heritage Bowl or whatever it will be called if we would at least use more non-conference games to play against the better FCS teams and make better efforts in the season and off-season to compete. It does not bother me as much not playing these teams in the playoffs when I at least know we could compete if we wanted to

And renting out and playing in a place like the GA Dome would not work in years where FAMU, A&T, SC State, JSU, GSU, SU aren't in it. It's up to the Conferences and Sponsors to maximize the investments.

It's been tried before and failed. Trying to have 2 or 3 big games in the same stadium in one season just does not work out. Even having JSU-SU and the Bayou Classic in the SuperDome did not work out as well as expected and JSU vs SU can be played almost anywhere. It just takes a lot of put on multiple events in the same venue and get people interesting in paying and attending both.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I would not have a problem with Keeping the SCG or the Heritage Bowl or whatever it will be called if we would at least use more non-conference games to play against the better FCS teams and make better efforts in the season and off-season to compete. It does not bother me as much not playing these teams in the playoffs when I at least know we could compete if we wanted to

Your conference went from the nine-game mandate to a seven-game conference schedule. Unfortunately, half of the league had problems filling the slate and you went right back to nine-games after a very short experiment.

If you want to boost the image of the league's competitiveness while also retaining the SCG, it could be done. Play seven conference games (four in division, three cross-over) and then have a SWAC title game.

Unfortunately, that will not happen. Too many of your schools are on the verge of being not able to support Division I athletics. Some of these schools would probably be upset if they could not get a visit from Southern, Jackson State, etc - every other year...

JDC325
June 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM

When was the last time they won a playoff game?
I say good they were just taking up a spot from a more deserving team.

gram4life
June 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Your conference went from the nine-game mandate to a seven-game conference schedule. Unfortunately, half of the league had problems filling the slate and you went right back to nine-games after a very short experiment.

If you want to boost the image of the league's competitiveness while also retaining the SCG, it could be done. Play seven conference games (four in division, three cross-over) and then have a SWAC title game.

Unfortunately, that will not happen. Too many of your schools are on the verge of being not able to support Division I athletics. Some of these schools would probably be upset if they could not get a visit from Southern, Jackson State, etc - every other year...

Funny the MEAC is going to the 9 game format.

DSUrocks07
June 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Funny the MEAC is going to the 9 game format.

No we're not...xconfusedx

gram4life
June 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
No we're not...xconfusedx

Correction 8 game format. I'll start with DSU http://www.dsuhornets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12900&ATCLID=204916393

Sun., Sept. 5 Southern University
Sat., Sept. 11 (1)FLORIDA A&M
Sat., Sept. 25 at Coastal Carolina University
Sat., Oct. 2 (2) HAMPTON UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Oct. 9 (3)Bethune-Cookman University*
Sat., Oct. 16 (4)NO. CAROLINA A&T UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Oct. 23 (5) Morgan State University*
Sat., Oct. 30 (6)SO. CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Nov. 6 (7) NO. CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY
Sat., Nov. 13 (8) at Norfolk State University*
Sat., Nov. 20 (9)at Howard University*

OL FU
June 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
When was the last time they won a playoff game?
I say good they were just taking up a spot from a more deserving team.

Too much of that depends on who you have to play.

SC State having to play ASU two years in a row did not bode well for the MEAC Champ. Prior to SC State the last best chance for the MEAC to win was probably a seeded Hampton in 2004. But they had to go against W&M ( I believe) and that may have been one of the best years ever for the then A-10 with very strong W&M, UD, UNH and the eventual champion, JMU.

I realize it is tough to make the argument of participation when you don't win, the MEAC has not been blessed with good matchups.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM

SC State having to play ASU two years in a row did not bode well for the MEAC Champ. Prior to SC State the last best chance for the MEAC to win was probably a seeded Hampton in 2004. But they had to go against W&M ( I believe) and that may have been one of the best years ever for the then A-10 with very strong W&M, UD, UNH and the eventual champion, JMU.

I realize it is tough to make the argument of participation when you don't win, the MEAC has not been blessed with good matchups.

We still gotta win. WE have a lot of should of, would of, could of's like last year.

Darn that botched FG!

DSUrocks07
June 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Correction 8 game format. I'll start with DSU http://www.dsuhornets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12900&ATCLID=204916393

Sun., Sept. 5 Southern University
Sat., Sept. 11 (1)FLORIDA A&M
Sat., Sept. 25 at Coastal Carolina University
Sat., Oct. 2 (2) HAMPTON UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Oct. 9 (3)Bethune-Cookman University*
Sat., Oct. 16 (4)NO. CAROLINA A&T UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Oct. 23 (5) Morgan State University*
Sat., Oct. 30 (6)SO. CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY*
Sat., Nov. 6 (7) NO. CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY
Sat., Nov. 13 (8) at Norfolk State University*
Sat., Nov. 20 (9)at Howard University*

NCCU is a transitional member, there games against MEAC foes are considered OOCs. xrulesx

mikebigg
June 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
NCCU is a transitional member, there games against MEAC foes are considered OOCs. xrulesx

So why did you schedule them?

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
So why did you schedule them?

Nine team league. Only eight are conceivably playing conference games each week. Teams have late bye weeks, have to schedule who is available.

North Carolina Central is an independent. Needs games. They'll be a MEAC member in the future, may as well help them out. xrulesx

mikebigg
June 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Nine team league. Only eight are conceivably playing conference games each week. Teams have late bye weeks, have to schedule who is available.

North Carolina Central is an independent. Needs games. They'll be a MEAC member in the future, may as well help them out. xrulesx

Thanks, but I really wanted the Del State guy to answer since they're on his team's schedule.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks, but I really wanted the Del State guy to answer since they're on his team's schedule.

It's just common sense though.... xthumbsupx

The SLC schools are doing different things to fill that late hole in the season when we got to eight conference games with a school off each week of the conference slate, even the last week of the year. UTSA has helped a few schools in that spot in both 2011, 2012.

Wouldn't see any reason to not to see NC Central and Savannah State on MEAC schedules during their bye...

JDC325
June 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM

They get crappy matchups because they are not as good. Good teams from good conferences get good placement.

Syntax Error
June 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
They get crappy matchups because they are not as good. Good teams from good conferences get good placement.

Yes the MEAC is not a good conference but several teams are good every year... SCSU was not good? Hampton was not good? Del State was not good? BCU was not good? NCAT was not good? FAMU was not good?

Sonic98
June 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM

They can still schedule JSU and SU every year. Its hard to complain bout not playing certain schools in the conference when you have a schedule with 2 bye weeks. 5 Division games, plus 3 outside games still gives you 2 games and a bye week to play whomever. And really that's 3 games each team is gonna have either JSU or SU on their schedule anyway because it's gonna be a division game. I honestly don't think the 9 game schedule generates that much more revenue. Because other than 3 or 4 particular teams, a rivarly game, homecoming, and in-state games. Certain schools are not gonna guarantee big-ticket games anyway. The 9 game schedule is stupid. I think during the 7 game schedule JSU rotated which one of the TX schools they played each other and both schools did just fine.

mikebigg
June 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Nothing wrong with the 9 game mandate...but it's redundant to follow it with a conference championship game. I think more money could be made by eliminating the SCG and instead allowing each team to schedule 12 games.

OL FU
June 17th, 2010, 07:36 AM
We still gotta win. WE have a lot of should of, would of, could of's like last year.

Darn that botched FG!

You are correct. I think that day is approaching.

Sonic98
June 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
Nothing wrong with the 9 game mandate...but it's redundant to follow it with a conference championship game. I think more money could be made by eliminating the SCG and instead allowing each team to schedule 12 games.

Make little sense to have both

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Have the MEAC meetings taken place? Has there been any movement at this time on the Legacy Bowl or are we still awaiting some formal information?

WestCoastAggie
June 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Have the MEAC meetings taken place? Has there been any movement at this time on the Legacy Bowl or are we still awaiting some formal information?

They took the meeting off their calendar of events on the Conference website. xlolx

mikebigg
June 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM
They took the meeting off their calendar of events on the Conference website. xlolx

Good!

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Latest word from the MEAC boards is that the MEAC is willing to send their #2 team, but not forfeit the automatic bid to the Division I playoffs...

The SWAC and ESPN are not as much a fan of this, but apparently are caving in. This would be a great option for the MEAC - maintaining their interests of being a nationally competitive conference and picking up additional revenue. For the SWAC, there is no reason to complain, as long as ESPN is on board and you are set to get a pay day - which is all the SWAC really wants out of this anyway.

mikebigg
June 27th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Latest word from the MEAC boards is that the MEAC is willing to send their #2 team, but not forfeit the automatic bid to the Division I playoffs...

The SWAC and ESPN are not as much a fan of this, but apparently are caving in. This would be a great option for the MEAC - maintaining their interests of being a nationally competitive conference and picking up additional revenue. For the SWAC, there is no reason to complain, as long as ESPN is on board and you are set to get a pay day - which is all the SWAC really wants out of this anyway.

Another attempt to pass off your opinion as fact...smh!

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Another attempt to pass off your opinion as fact...smh!

Until your conference shows an interest in competing nationally and making it clear through quotes in the media like the MEAC, is there anything else that we should believe?

The SWAC wants to make $$$ through this postseason endeavor. The MEAC wants to be nationally competitive and if they can squeeze some additional cash by sending a No. 2 or No. 3 to the Legacy, they will...

mikebigg
June 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Until your conference shows an interest in competing nationally and making it clear through quotes in the media like the MEAC, is there anything else that we should believe?

The SWAC wants to make $$$ through this postseason endeavor. The MEAC wants to be nationally competitive and if they can squeeze some additional cash by sending a No. 2 or No. 3 to the Legacy, they will...

Who says the SWAC doesn't want to be nationally competitive? I haven't seen any statements that says we don't but you're making (or attempting) to make that assertion based on your opinion. If any of the FCS schools want a regular season game, they can contact us (Grambling) and we will consider it...I'm certain the rest of the conference feels likewise. Just remember that as with any other institution of higher learning that fields a team, we reside in the USA and we have a right to make our own choice...even those that you have a problem with. Don't know if you're persistent or just too dense to realize we're not interested in the playoffs. Maybe you're just persistently dense!

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Who says the SWAC doesn't want to be nationally competitive? I haven't seen any statements that says we don't but you're making (or attempting) to make that assertion based on your opinion.

Actions speak louder than words.

I understand why you are not interested in the playoffs. $$$ talks.

However, the league's out of conference scheduling continues to have a downward spiral, especially in wake of the nine-game mandate's return.

Whether it from not playing FCS opponents with their openings, the complete disregard for the openings (and scheduling NINE or 10 games) or in the case of Valley, not properly funding your program to compete on the FCS level, it is blatantly clear the SWAC is not committed to being nationally competitive.

Some of the SWAC fans on this board (and TSPN) have said that if your league won games of significance OOC and garnered national rankings by strong performances, the NCAA would adjust to make the SWAC part of the equation (see mid-majors in the BCS). Those fans can be wishful all the want, it is not happening.

Panther88
June 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Who says the SWAC doesn't want to be nationally competitive? I haven't seen any statements that says we don't but you're making (or attempting) to make that assertion based on your opinion. If any of the FCS schools want a regular season game, they can contact us (Grambling) and we will consider it...I'm certain the rest of the conference feels likewise. Just remember that as with any other institution of higher learning that fields a team, we reside in the USA and we have a right to make our own choice...even those that you have a problem with. Don't know if you're persistent or just too dense to realize we're not interested in the playoffs. Maybe you're just persistently dense!

+1. xhurrayx

Get on the schedule, early. xhurrayx

andy7171
June 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
So I read the first couple pages of this thread and fast forwarded to the end...is this really going to happen? I can't see SCSU, FAMU or Del State giving up the post season. Maybe even Bethune Cookman too.

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM
So I read the first couple pages of this thread and fast forwarded to the end...is this really going to happen? I can't see SCSU, FAMU or Del State giving up the post season. Maybe even Bethune Cookman too.

Depends who you ask...

Florida A&M is not on board and South Carolina State's head coach and a member of the Board of Regents are not either.

I think the big question is whether the SWAC and ESPN are willing to give in to having the #2 or #3 team from the MEAC? Would think the MEAC would be willing to do both - playoffs and Legacy Bowl - if the people behind the LB were able to back them in their objective.

AggieManiac704
June 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The Meac Luncheon is scheduled for July 30th

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz&action=display&thread=3297

Jaguar79
June 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
All I'm going to say to the MEAC is forget what all of these other conferences are saying. They don't want you to buck the system that they are gladly .... and in most cases, gripped by without a feasible alternative. Forget what the SWAC says as that really doesn't matter to your future.

Fact is your presidents have had this discussion for a REAL reason. That REASON is you. If you stay in the playoff system as you are now, Texas Terror ain't paying the difference between his conference and yours. If you choose the Legacy Bowl, Jaguar79 ain't helping with your recognition pieces nation wide.

I just hope YOU are ready to take over your conference no matter which way your presidents vote. I can guarantee the rest of FCS will move on past you either way even though they sound like they are in your corner in this thread. xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
All I'm going to say to the MEAC is forget what all of these other conferences are saying. They don't want you to buck the system that they are gladly .... and in most cases, gripped by without a feasible alternative. Forget what the SWAC says as that really doesn't matter to your future.

Fact is your presidents have had this discussion for a REAL reason. That REASON is you. If you stay in the playoff system as you are now, Texas Terror ain't paying the difference between his conference and yours. If you choose the Legacy Bowl, Jaguar79 ain't helping with your recognition pieces nation wide.

I just hope YOU are ready to take over your conference no matter which way your presidents vote. I can guarantee the rest of FCS will move on past you either way even though they sound like they are in your corner in this thread. xnodx

Well put! xhurrayx

WestCoastAggie
June 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Open Letter to the HBCU Conferences - Please Post & Pass Along

The following letter was sent to each of the HBCU Conference Commissioners on Thursday 24 June 2010 . As an Alum & Fan I was concerned about the direction in which HBCU sports were headed. As a business man I am disappointed with the process and conduct as a whole in regards to the way that " our business" was being managed. With that in mind and in an effort to assist with the correction of our path I reached out to the leaders of the CIAA, MEAC, SIAC, & SWAC. This gesture was to offer assistance in creating an aggressive plan that will benefit ALL HBCU's athletically and academically!!! I am pleased to say that I have gotten positive, open-minded responses from most of the commissioners and we are now into the next phase of planning a summit.

With that in mind it is now time for "US", the alum, to step up and make ourselves accessible to the leadership! They need our input and support. Regrettably, not all parts of this meeting will not be open to the public there will be sessions wherein you "the fan" will have the opportunity to voice your opinion and present proposals to the leadership. If you would like to present a business proposal at this meeting, then please submit to us your name, contact information and the nature of your proposal at [email protected]. Upon receipt and verification of your business proposal you will be notified of your scheduled date and time for your presentation.

The event will be held in Eatonville, FL (Orlando area) and ALL presenters must supply their own methods of presentation, materials, lodging and transportation to and from event. Upon finalization of plans notification as to the date of the summit will be sent and made public at least 14 days prior to the event. As I said to the commissioners, the question is , "Am I my brother's keeper?" and the answer is "Yes, I am!" It is time for us to stop talking about uplifting ourselves and our institutions and it's time to start doing something about it!!! Here, at this conference, is your chance voice your opinion and present your ideas, so what will you do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

June 24, 2010

Black College Sports Network Proposed HBCU Football Conference Alignment & Marketing Program

This is a proposed setup for all four of the HBCU conferences that would help to provide more parity, increase regional/national market revenue potential, generate a stronger traveling fan base, and increase the level of competition across the board.

This plan is based on an 11-week season and a 7-game conference schedule with no conference championship game. We (BCSN) also have a comprehensive plan that will enhance the marketing of the HBCU product maximizing the usage of multiple media outlets.

@ This proposal begins with all four conferences splitting into two regionally based 5 to 7 team divisions. Each team will play all teams in their division accounting for 4 games. They will then play 3 teams from the other division to account for the conference schedule. This format will allow for expansion of the conferences to 14 teams without needing to change the scheduling.

@ The second phase will use one (1) of the four (4) remaining games as a cross conference game i.e..MEAC vs. SWAC & CIAA vs. SIAC.

@ The next phase would be used as the key component in creating higher NCAA national rankings with each conference partnering with another conference in their classification (Division One FCS, Division Two) in order to create one (1) cross conference game for each school in the conference, i.e., MEAC vs. OVC.

@ The final two (2) games would be held out as payout (guarantee) games or as a major (classic) game not covered by the conference or cross conference schedule.

@ The final phase of this proposal will cover post season play. It is imperative that the HBCU’s maintain a presence in the NCAA Divisional Playoff picture in order to maintain competitive recruiting opportunities which will keep the quality of football high.

Additionally, HBCU’s have a built in and historic drawing power that will lend itself to create two (2) very profitable divisional post season bowl games. These bowl games could feature the two conference runner ups participating with the champions moving on the divisional playoffs.

This would be important for the success of the game to have the two runner ups playing in the bowl games to maintain the integrity of the event. These games will be marketed the entire year as the epic clash of the conferences thus creating the following that will be needed in order to sustain it.

@ The CIAA & SIAC already have the Pioneer Bowl in place. The MEAC & SWAC can create their game. These are Bowl Games, NOT Black College National Championships!

I have been broadcasting and covering HBCU sports for over twelve years and have been following them as a fan for over 25. All of our broadcasts have been done at NO EXPENSE to HBCU’s.

It is our desire to see HBCU’s grow and prosper. I truly believe that the ONE thing that has been missing all these years is a unity of the product that is indicative of the rich tradition and history of not only our institutions but our culture as well.

With this type of cooperative effort HBCU football can become a powerful force in the revenue generation of the FCS and the Division 2 on a regional and national level. A plan such as this will not only improve the athletic landscape but grow the academic landscape of all of the institutions as well.

We (HBCU’s) must take our rightful place as the Talented Tenth that W.E.B. DuBois spoke about. In order to do that we must put aside our egos, pride and jealousy and do what is best for ALL of our institutions, students, and fans.

There are thousand’s of HBCU alums who have the professional knowledge, skill and desire to help move our schools into its next phase. All we are asking is that we (your alumni) be allowed to do what you have trained us to do! These schools were created so that we might have fair and equal access to higher education and future opportunities. We must return to that mind set now and move away from business as usual where who you know or are friends with is more important than what you know and can do.

Our question is…”Am I my brother’s keeper?” and our answer should be a resounding…”Yes I AM!” Everyone must be willing to compromise for the continued success & survival of the Historically Black Colleges & Universities.

Our Major HBCU’s must realize that if the smaller schools continue to vanish it will only be a matter of time before it happens to all of them. Our smaller HBCU’s must realize that it is imperative to stay competitive in the college landscape which can be done by Partnering with larger HBCU’s in athletics and academics.

This is an open invitation to the Commissioners & heads of the Presidents Councils of the CIAA, MEAC, SIAC, & SWAC. JBN/BCSN is willing to host a summit here in Eatonville, FL where we can discuss the future of HBCU sports and academics and how we can access the talent that is at your disposal. We will cover your travel, lodging & meals for this 3 to 4 day event.

Athletic Directors and Heads of any other HBCU are also invited to attend. We will also open portions of this event to any HBCU alum, other vendors, or anyone who would like to present ideas or proposal to HBCU’s.

The time I spent at an HBCU changed my life and showed me a part of my heritage that I had not seen. I truly believe that our institutions are the key to our culture’s future in this country but WE must do what is necessary ourselves to ensure that future!

So I end with this: for our culture to survive & thrive in the future, OUR HBCU’s MUST find a way to work together!!! Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,
Roy M. Eavins II
President/CEO
Black College Sports Network/JERICHO Broadcast Networks, Inc.

Roy M. Eavins II
President/CEO, JBN, Inc.
www.MyJBNOnline.net
407-349-7623

I agree with this letter and it should gain traction with our conference presidents due to the status of the person who wrote this and composed the ideas.

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
An update on the Legacy Bowl coming Saturday on the Jaguar Journal from 8-10 a.m. at http://www.thescore1210.com/ for anyone who has the time to listen...

Texas Southern AD Charles McClelland will also be on the show...per show host Carlos Brown on TSPN.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
An update on the Legacy Bowl coming Saturday on the Jaguar Journal from 8-10 a.m. at http://www.thescore1210.com/ for anyone who has the time to listen...

Texas Southern AD Charles McClelland will also be on the show...

Thanks to Carlos Brown (Voice of the Jaguar Journal) for posting this on TSPNSports.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks to Carlos Brown (Voice of the Jaguar Journal) for posting this on TSPNSports.

TT stays up on the Swac info. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Legacy Bowl "fallout" on this radio show podcast...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/show.aspx?userurl=hbcudigest&year=2010&month=07&day=15&url=the-big-accreditation-show

Lulu
July 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Guys if you have a problem with someone's post, discuss it in a PM and not in 5 pages of discussion. Thanks! Thread closed!

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Some great links that I saw on the MEAC Fans board from decaturg that stress how the payouts & revenues from FBS bowl games are greatly exaggerated. And really when it comes down to it, the payout to the MEAC and SWAC will be pennies for a decision that keeps the MEAC out of the playoffs.

$17M BCS payouts sound great, but ...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

College bowl payouts don't always add up
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_657537.html#

BCS Analysis – Revenue Discrimination
http://fresnostate.scout.com/2/973301.html

The BCS Big Split - Street & Smith Biz Journal
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/64647

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM
The latest...

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - It was a "no-brainer" back in the spring for Southwestern Athletic Conference Commissioner Duer Sharp and the school presidents to agree on getting involved in the Legacy Bowl.

While the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is expected to make a final decision in the fall about accepting ESPN's proposal of holding a season-ending bowl game between the two historically black Football Championship Subdivision conferences' regular-season champions starting Dec. 17, 2011, Sharp said the SWAC wasted little time getting on board in advance.

"For us, it's an easy decision," Sharp said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "For the MEAC, it's somewhat complicated."

http://www.thetandd.com/sports/article_d586f838-9aba-11df-8724-001cc4c03286.html

Thought this was funny...

"People want to see an ending," he said. "They want to see the two best teams playing their best football at the end of the year and have it decided on the field."

Isn't that what the playoffs provide? And even the HBCU national championship won't be determined in the game as we've seen int he past, the "two best teams" in HBCU are not necessarily the MEAC and SWAC champ.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The latest...

http://www.thetandd.com/sports/article_d586f838-9aba-11df-8724-001cc4c03286.html

Thought this was funny...

Isn't that what the playoffs provide? And even the HBCU national championship won't be determined in the game as we've seen int he past, the "two best teams" in HBCU are not necessarily the MEAC and SWAC champ.

Ever heard of coach talk? Well, this is commissioner talk.

I'm sure SHSU's new head football coach will tell a reporter he's coaching at the best college/conference in the nation. xlolx