PDA

View Full Version : MONTANA @ Tennessee, Sept. 2011

griz5700
July 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Sweet!

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/article_3f96f6f8-961d-11df-94bd-001cc4c002e0.html

There have been some rumors floating around that the Montana Grizzlies will travel to play Tennessee to open the 2011 football season. Well, a source of mine says it's a done deal. Good ol' Rocky Top!

The Griz, apparently, will face the Volunteers on Sept. 3, 2011, at 100,000-plus seat Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. Montana, I'm told, will replace North Texas on the Vols' schedule.

If it happens, this will be the first game the Griz will play against an Bowl division team since traveling to Iowa in 2006, a game they lost 41-7. Sure, they took one on the chin, but Montana did make something like $650,000 on that game, which helped the athletic department crawl out of a significant financial hole. So it was pretty much a victory in the long run.

Griz AD Jim O'Day has told me in the past that the football team would not play an "up game" unless the money was right. Why would they go on the road, get beat, and only make $200,000? They can make that kind of coin easily on any given Saturday at Washington-Grizzly Stadium when they line up a patsy like Western State or Fort Lewis.

Is the potential matchup with Tennessee a bodybag game in which the Griz will take a pounding? Perhaps, although the Vols are hardly the SEC power they used to be. And after the Lane Kiffin debacle, UT is in a reconstruction phase under new head coach Derek Dooley.

New Griz coach Robin Pflugrad told me in an extensive interview during the spring that he will never duck the big dogs:

"I don't want to ever sound conceited or brag about the fact that we don't have to go anywhere, because I WANT to go somewhere. I WANT to take this team on the road and play a, quote, Division I team. I want to do that if not every year, every other year. We've been looking for a 2011 (FBS) opponent, and it's been difficult. We've had a lot of teams turn us down. Do you go to just play them? No. You better be able to make more money if you leave Missoula, or straight across even.

"We don't want to be cannon fodder for Nebraska or Florida or Alabama just to say we went and played them. I think our players have to get something out of it and I want it to be a positive experience. And our administration needs to get something out of it in a paycheck."

Win or lose, my guess is that the Griz are going to be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

kdinva
July 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Great news for the Grizz!!!!xnodx.........sure beats the $170K VMI will get at Army in October.xeyebrowx

TTUEagles
July 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I've grown up in Tennessee and since college, I've hated the Vols. I've been to a lot of SEC games all over the South, and I'd have to put UT as the #1 best place to see a game. I'd highly recommend going to that game if given a chance. The stadium is fantastic and the atmosphere surrounding it is insane. Of course, this year, they've really struggled to sell tickets and the fickle fanbase is not too happy with the state of "Big Ahrnge" football these days. It might be worse in 2011.
For my school, I like the FBS games, I think it's fun and in "our" case, there's no way we could stay afloat without the $$$. I don't care if the score is typically lopsided. I'm guessing that no one wants Montana (FBS schools) because there's not a whole lot of difference between many FBS schools and the upper tier of FCS...
I've heard TTU will net almost a million $ with games at Arkansas and at TCU - 0-2 equals $1,000,000 ?

darell1976
July 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Great job Montana getting this game. I hope this game will be on tv can't wait to see it. Go Griz!!!

CrazyCat
July 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Griz fans have been defending not playing an FBS because they didn't need to play a "bodybag" game like everybody else. Now that they might have scheduled one they are embracing it like the return of a long lost brother.

Field Judge
July 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'll give your coach credit for saying he wants to go on the road. It has obviously hurt the Griz over the years by playing all those patsies at home, and if they have to travel in the playoffs, or of course to the title game, the Griz have been less than spectacular away from the friendly confines.

CAAisBOSS
July 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
its about time they played someone good...xsmileyclapx

darell1976
July 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
its about time they played someone good...xsmileyclapx

They will play someone good this year....North Dakota!xnodxxhurrayx;)

SideLine Shooter
July 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'll give your coach credit for saying he wants to go on the road. It has obviously hurt the Griz over the years by playing all those patsies at home, and if they have to travel in the playoffs, or of course to the title game, the Griz have been less than spectacular away from the friendly confines.

I seem to remember a GREAT Semi-final in Harrisonburg, Va. a couple of years ago. I believe they won it too. xlolxxnodxxlolxxnodxxwhistlex

SpeedkingATL
July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
This is one of the times when I will say "Go Griz". A victory at Rockytop would be sweet and what a great place to play.

jmufan999
July 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
I seem to remember a GREAT Semi-final in Harrisonburg, Va. a couple of years ago. I believe they won it too. xlolxxnodxxlolxxnodxxwhistlex

and how did App State fare in their last visit to the 'burg? trying to remember.... something about 35 points in the second half.... it's escaping me, though.

and also: we're 1-1 in our last 2 against the Griz with a National Title under our belts, whereas they have come up empty.

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Griz fans have been defending not playing an FBS because they didn't need to play a "bodybag" game like everybody else. Now that they might have scheduled one they are embracing it like the return of a long lost brother.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I read this.

NHwildEcat
July 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
I wish UNH & Montana would enter into a home and home series. I remember when we were out there for the playoff game, and I want UNH to get back there and exact some revenge!

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Nice game! Go get 'em Griz! xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
July 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
and how did App State fare in their last visit to the 'burg? trying to remember.... something about 35 points in the second half.... it's escaping me, though.

and also: we're 1-1 in our last 2 against the Griz with a National Title under our belts, whereas they have come up empty.

You are exactly right. That game was the game of 2 completely different halfs. If I remember correctly of our last 3 games we are 2 - 1. The one where MM made that great call at the end of the game made it possible for us to win another championship.

Regardless who wins, when top programs like these meet it is usually an instant classic.

Man, I am ready for FOOTBALL!

UNH Fanboi
July 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
I wish UNH & Montana would enter into a home and home series. I remember when we were out there for the playoff game, and I want UNH to get back there and exact some revenge!

I've said this before and I'll say it again: there is no incentive for a team from the CAA to schedule an OOC game against a top team like Montana. The goal is to survive the regular season with the best record possible. The conference schedule is strong enough that you can can get into the playoffs with a 5-3 conference record and 2-1 OOC record (assuming two wins over weak FCS teams and a loss to an FBS). If you trade a near guaranteed win over an NEC team for a loss to Montana, you could lose a seed or b bumped from the playoffs. Why take the chance?

Umpire
July 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
So da Griz will be going to Knoxville the first week of 2011 and then about 200 miles east to Boone to open the 2012 season.

catbob
July 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
So da Griz will be going to Knoxville the first week of 2011 and then about 200 miles east to Boone to open the 2012 season.

Don't be surprised if the Griz buyout the App game now that they are getting a big fat paycheck for a bodybag game.

tampa_griz
July 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Don't be surprised if the Griz buyout the App game now that they are getting a big fat paycheck for a bodybag game.

Wasn't the last team to buyout an FCS game in order to play an FBS team was Montana State? I think it was. Oh yes...that's right. They bought out NDSU in order to play Texas A&M.

son-of-info
July 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
So one topic about a game that has nothing to do with them, and out come the butt hurt cat fans. You fellas might want to lighten up, long way to November.

darell1976
July 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wasn't the last team to buyout an FCS game in order to play an FBS team was Montana State? I think it was. Oh yes...that's right. They bought out NDSU in order to play Texas A&M.

Idaho State bought out North Dakota in order to get thumped 64-0 by Oklahoma last September.

tampa_griz
July 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Idaho State bought out North Dakota in order to get thumped 64-0 by Oklahoma last September.

Thanks for the correction. So starting now and going backward through history it goes Idaho State, Montana State, Montana?

CrazyCat
July 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
So one topic about a game that has nothing to do with them, and out come the butt hurt cat fans. You fellas might want to lighten up, long way to November.

My butt doesn't hurt at all.

slostang
July 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM

Don't feel too bad, ISU has bought out of 2 games with the Mustangs.

SouthernMan
July 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Give 'em Hell Griz!!!

TokyoGriz
July 24th, 2010, 12:04 AM
My butt doesn't hurt at all.

Wait till November.

I have to admit it is funny to see so many trash talking Montana State fans on a thread about UM playing Tennesee though. Especially when their team buys out FCS games as well to play FBS for money etc... lol

Hows the glass house treating you Kitties? Want some more stones?

I am very glad to see UM playing up again. To be honest Id like for us to move up to FBS in the next few years and playing many of the lower to mid tier FBS teams is good practice and exposure for us. A few of those games could be victories as well increasing our national exposure.

GeauxLions94
July 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Great job Montana getting this game. I hope this game will be on tv can't wait to see it. Go Griz!!!

It should be on one of the ESPNs since they have the rights to the SEC games. Good job Monte! xthumbsupx

TC CAT
July 24th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Given the controversy surrounding the Vols program, is the Montana team strong and talented enough to upset the Vols or keep the score close?

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Feedback from NT on it...

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/07/looks-like-montana-will-replac.html

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM

I think that its a mixed bag with Griz fans, some are happy about this game and have wanted the griz to play an FBS team for the past few years. Others are worried about the possible negative consequences of playing an SEC team. Personally, I would rather see the Griz play competitive FCS teams, like we have scheduled in App. St and Mcneese in the years down the road. But I'm sure this game will be a major thrill for the players, playing in front of over 100,000 people would be pretty intense.

Skjellyfetti
July 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Feedback from NT on it...

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/07/looks-like-montana-will-replac.html

Wow. The Sun Belt's take on playing BCS teams sounds no different from the FCS perspective. I wonder why so many people are anxious to see their team in the Sun Belt. xnonono2x

UNT wants to have one "opportunity game" every year. It's a drawing card for recruiting to tell guys they are going to get to play on the big stage. And you know from experience that every time UNT plays an "opportunity game" talk immediately turns to UNT's win over Tennessee back in the day and Louisiana-Monroe's win over Alabama.

Granted, those upsets almost never happen when you look at the overall numbers, but that really isn't the point.

UNT used to play several games against the big boys every season. In 2003, UNT opened with a four-game stretch of at Oklahoma, Baylor, at Air Force and at Arkansas. A year later, it was at Texas, a brief break against Florida Atlantic, at Colorado and at Baylor.

Don't look for a schedule like that ever again.

With one big game a year, UNT gets the cash and something to sell recruits, which is the name of the "opportunity game."

CopperCat
July 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Wait till November.

I have to admit it is funny to see so many trash talking Montana State fans on a thread about UM playing Tennesee though. Especially when their team buys out FCS games as well to play FBS for money etc... lol

Hows the glass house treating you Kitties? Want some more stones?

I am very glad to see UM playing up again. To be honest Id like for us to move up to FBS in the next few years and playing many of the lower to mid tier FBS teams is good practice and exposure for us. A few of those games could be victories as well increasing our national exposure.

Actually, if you go back and look at what MSU is doing, it makes perfect sense that they bought out that NDSU game. The school needed money to pay for scholarships due to increasing tution, stadium improvements, increasing operations costs etc. And guess what? We never came out and said that we wouldn't schedule FBS teams. I know another team that did that though. MSU has been pretty transparent about the whole thing and has been consistent in it's scheduling. UM has not, so you really have no leg to stand on.

The double standard coming out of Missoula has always been intriguing to me. Somehow us buying out ONE game erases all the idiocy of dUMb scheduling the patsies every single year. MSU has had a D-I/FBS team on the schedule darn near every year for at least the past 10 years now. Seems to me buying out one game to take on another that pays well makes perfect sense. I'm thinking that maybe dUMb realized that too.

TokyoGriz
July 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Actually, if you go back and look at what MSU is doing, it makes perfect sense that they bought out that NDSU game. The school needed money to pay for scholarships due to increasing tution, stadium improvements, increasing operations costs etc. And guess what? We never came out and said that we wouldn't schedule FBS teams. I know another team that did that though. MSU has been pretty transparent about the whole thing and has been consistent in it's scheduling. UM has not, so you really have no leg to stand on.

The double standard coming out of Missoula has always been intriguing to me. Somehow us buying out ONE game erases all the idiocy of dUMb scheduling the patsies every single year. MSU has had a D-I/FBS team on the schedule darn near every year for at least the past 10 years now. Seems to me buying out one game to take on another that pays well makes perfect sense. I'm thinking that maybe dUMb realized that too.

UM actually makes enough money with each home game that often the FBS teams dont offer more than what we would make with some patsie home game like Western State. Think I saw a number in the papers of around $500,000 is what U M needs to make it worthwhile to play an FBS team. Last FBS we played was Iowa payed $650,000. Hence the real reason for the weak games we play at home instead of FBS teams. Many FBS teams flat out wont play U of M either due to the increased chance of losing and messing up their "real" season.

The fact is Montana State has very few fans and because of this makes little money with their home games. Hence the need for you to pack your schedule with FBS games because those teams have enough fans to actually pay for MSU football.

CrazyCat
July 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
xlolx

BearIt
July 26th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Actually, if you go back and look at what MSU is doing, it makes perfect sense that they bought out that NDSU game. The school needed money to pay for scholarships due to increasing tution, stadium improvements, increasing operations costs etc. And guess what? We never came out and said that we wouldn't schedule FBS teams. I know another team that did that though.

UM buying out games didn't make sense? Does the million dollar athletic department deficit at UM ring a bell?

Are you implying that UM stated they wouldn't shedule FBS teams? Can you please show me where UM made that statement? I've never read anywhere that they won't schedule FBS games. They have stated that they don't have to and that they typical don't have a large enough payout for it to make financial sense. That doesn't mean that they won't.

biggie
July 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Should be an interesting opening weekend next year with us at VT as well.

CopperCat
July 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM
The fact is Montana State has very few fans and because of this makes little money with their home games. Hence the need for you to pack your schedule with FBS games because those teams have enough fans to actually pay for MSU football.

Hehe, why don't you move to the FBS and then you will see exactly what having FEW FANS means when you become the doormat of the Sunbelt. I'm surprised the axles aren't broken on that bandwagon already!!

We need to schedule FBS teams because we don't have ONE rich alumni that basically buys the whole athletic department.

Silenoz
July 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I can't believe it took 4 pages for this thread to get hijacked by Cat-Griz bickering!

Hehe, why don't you move to the FBS and then you will see exactly what having FEW FANS means when you become the doormat of the Sunbelt. I'm surprised the axles aren't broken on that bandwagon already!!

We need to schedule FBS teams because we don't have ONE rich alumni that basically buys the whole athletic department.
MSU will learn the real meaning of "few fans" if we move up to FBS. There won't be a split with new kids growing up, they'll all want to follow the FBS team, regardless of how well/terrible we do

CopperCat
July 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I can't believe it took 4 pages for this thread to get hijacked by Cat-Griz bickering!

MSU will learn the real meaning of "few fans" if we move up to FBS. There won't be a split with new kids growing up, they'll all want to follow the FBS team, regardless of how well/terrible we do

Then move up, I double dog dare you.

Silenoz
July 26th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Not until you a$$holes come with us

PantherRob82
July 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I'd love to go to this game. Hopefully it falls right on the schedule.

tampa_griz
July 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Looks like a done deal:

http://www.volunteertv.com/volsfootball/headlines/99153084.html

http://www.keci.com/pages/7761895.php?contentType=4&contentId=6522326

TokyoGriz
July 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Not until you a$$holes come with us

Nah lose the dead weight ! Theres really only enough fanbase for 1 FBS team in Montana and thats going to be the University of Montana.

On track for the thread its a done deal! Read its a payday for U of M of $500,000 PLUS additional expenses (not sure how much or what that includes though).

Squealofthepig
July 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
From Tennessee's perspective, it's a pretty decent bet. The Griz (good as they are) shouldn't be able to compete with an SEC team, and it's annoying to get from Missoula to the Tennessee side. I'm hoping a lot of FCS fans in general get to go to this game - including a number of Gateway fans.

And I love the Griz doing this - I mean, OK, a probable loss, but an outside shot of a competitive game, and can answer some criticism for never scheduling a solid FBS team (though as someone from a Delaware thread pointed out, it is hard for the top five or so programs in FCS to find a good FBS opportunity, money wise!)

Grizzaholic
July 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Bump for the Chattanooga fellow. Hopefully he can post his crap here and let the GSU thread get back on track.

chattownmocs
July 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Montana will be met with hospitality possibly unmatched throughout the country. Tennessee fans are always very friendly to nonconference foes. Neyland will probably be in good form as this is the opener. But make no mistake, tennessee is a proud program and will be satisfied with nothing less than total domination of montana.

chattownmocs
July 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
This is an example to the dedication of greatness that the Big Orange football program possesses. We may be in a down period, but the relentless pursuit of perfection remains.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/football_training_center.html

citdog
July 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
This is an example to the dedication of greatness that the Big Orange football program possesses. We may be in a down period, but the relentless pursuit of perfection remains.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/football_training_center.html

http://fanfusionblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/30395_Lane_Kiffin.jpg

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
http://fanfusionblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/30395_Lane_Kiffin.jpg
Newsflash, this guy is NOT the head coach at UT anymore. I believe's he helping Southern Cal cheat their way back, but when the Trojans played other teams last season, they stopped cheating and started losing.