PDA

View Full Version : USC Lightning Bolt RB to WCU

WCU LawCat
January 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Tailback says he will run track and field. Might save the football team a scholly.

Heffner and Ashcraft To Transfer From USC

Jan. 9, 2006

Quarterback Antonio Heffner and tailback Albert Ashcraft will transfer from the University of South Carolina, Gamecocks' head coach Steve Spurrier announced today. In addition, linebacker Dustin Lindsey has been ruled academically ineligible and will not compete in the 2006 season.

"We wish both Antonio and Albert well," said Spurrier. "I think they are making smart decisions. Antonio will transfer to (Division I-AA) Tennessee State where hopefully he will be their starting quarterback in an offense more suited to his talents. Albert will transfer to Western Carolina where he will run track," said Spurrier.

Heffner, a 6-1, 187-pound redshirt freshman from Memphis, Tenn. was 22-for-33 for 236 yards and two touchdowns as a reserve quarterback in 2005. He was the starter at Auburn, replacing an injured Blake Mitchell, and completed 15-of-23 passes for 133 yards in a 48-7 loss. He also saw limited action at wide receiver where he caught one pass for seven yards.

Ashcraft, a 6-3, 198-pound redshirt freshman from Monroe, N.C. did not see any action during the 2005 season.

Lindsey, a 6-3, 215-pound sophomore from Mobile, Ala., started four games during the 2005 campaign. He finished third on the squad with 58 tackles, including 36 solo stops. He recorded 6.5 tackles for loss including a pair of sacks.

http://uscsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ashcraft_albert00.html

Looks like he will have 3 years left.

Coastal89
January 9th, 2006, 06:28 PM
No doubt it's a good move for Heffner. He was recruited by Holtz to be in his offense and he just isn't suited for the fun-n-gun.

Plus calling 2 time outs before running the first play against Auburn didn't help his cause.

Maverick
January 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM
If he gets a track scholly and plays football, his scholly will count against football if he plays in a game. NCAA rule was put in place to keep schools from loading FB team by using athletes from track, baseball, etc.

catamount man
January 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
If he gets a track scholly and plays football, his scholly will count against football if he plays in a game. NCAA rule was put in place to keep schools from loading FB team by using athletes from track, baseball, etc.

Something tells me our coaches will get him on the football field somehow. The speed on Ashcraft is ungodly! We need another tall WR also, as rumor has it that Calvin Guinyard, an academic casualty in 2005, may be leaving to join former Catamount and friend Russell Hemby at South Carolina State. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
January 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Oops! Was just told this evening that Calvin Guinyard WILL be back in Cullowhee this fall. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Ronbo
January 11th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Tailback says he will run track and field. Might save the football team a scholly.

We had that discussion on eGriz about a two sport athlete. Ours was offered a schollie in basketball but was also a highly touted football player. A couple very knowlegeable posters brought to our attention that both the basketball and football teams would have to count the scholarship against their total.

WCU LawCat
January 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I was mainly talking about the scholarship in reguards to saving the football team some money. It will at least split the scholarship money in half between the football team and track team (I guess). As we all know, money is tight in I-AA. From what I understand, Appalachain State and Georgia Southern are the only two SoCon schools that can afford to offer the full 63 scholarships. Most of the other schools are close, but not up to 63. Some other schools may be at 63 but they are probably using partials to stretch booster and athletic department money.

goasu984Life
January 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
No doubt it's a good move for Heffner. He was recruited by Holtz to be in his offense and he just isn't suited for the fun-n-gun.

Not the fun-n-gun. It is called the Cock and Fire. Genius, pure genius by Gamecock Nation.