PDA

View Full Version : Maryland-Eastern Shore - Long Way from Football

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
For those more aware of the UMES Football hopes, has the university set the $3M as the goal to really get this thing rolling? Has the university publicized the efforts to raise money or is this non-profit effort separate from anything that the university has (or is willing to) commit to football start-up...

The election of Boozer into the Hall of Fame comes as a result of the efforts of Hawks for Football, an organization at UMES dedicated to reestablishing the football program, which was shut down in 1979. Every year, they nominate players for the Hall to remind people of the strong program UMES had for so many years.

With the selection of Boozer, Hawks for Football has helped three former members of the program into the Hall. Coach Vernon "Skip" McCain, who led the program from 1948-1963, was inducted in 2006 and Roger Brown, a defensive tackle for the Hawks from 1956-1959, was enshrined in 2009.

Dr. Bryant Mitchell, the vice-chair of Hawks for Football, said the university has raised roughly $250,000 thus far, with a goal of $3 million to restart the program. He said the organization will keep nominating players until its goal is reached.

"This is all part of our strategy to bring football back and that's why we nominated these guys," he said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-emerson-boozer-0717-20100716,0,4759833.story

MplsBison
July 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
What about U Maryland Baltimore or U Maryland Baltimore County (really? they're separate?).

Any football potential there?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
What about U Maryland Baltimore or U Maryland Baltimore County (really? they're separate?).

No football potential and yes, they're really separate. UMBC is in Catonsville, just outside the Beltway (I-695) and belongs to the America East Conference for their all sports affiliation. That means they're aligned with Maine, UNH, Albany and Stony Brook. There was discussion a couple of years ago on that forum about an offer from the Ravens that would have provided all the facilities that UMBC would have needed to start football. They turned the Ravens down so I think it is pretty safe to say that D-I football at UMBC isn't even a faint blip on a radar screen.

U Maryland Baltimore is located in downtown Baltimore not far from Camden Yards. I'm not sure they even have any intercollegiate athletics.

Just to keep you further confused, there is also a University of Baltimore which is also part of the University System of Maryland and located in downtown Baltimore!! xnodx xrotatehx

MplsBison
July 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
So you have UMBC, UM-Baltimore, U of Baltimore and then Johns Hopkins on top of that for universities in Baltimore.

Baltimore must be one of the most educated cities in the nation with a very low unemployment and crime rate!

Go...gate
July 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
To think that two NFL Champions and Super Bowl players, Johnny Sample and Emerson Boozer, played for UMES is sad. Wish they could start up again.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
To think that two NFL Champions and Super Bowl players, Johnny Sample and Emerson Boozer, played for UMES is sad. Wish they could start up again.

There's not a few poeple in that club of NFL vets now with an alma mater that doesn't sponsor football: add to that Marques Colston. I don't think Wayne Chrebet ever played in the Super Bowl?

Seawolf97
July 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM
So you have UMBC, UM-Baltimore, U of Baltimore and then Johns Hopkins on top of that for universities in Baltimore.

Baltimore must be one of the most educated cities in the nation with a very low unemployment and crime rate!

You should try NYC. Best gestimate is about 20 four year universities and colleges -give or take.

superman7515
July 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I posted this question a couple of weeks ago in response to the new MEAC members thread, but alas, no replies. Where would they build a stadium in Princess Anne? There's not really much room on campus, absolutely no infrastructure in the small town of Princess Anne, and Somerset County is a very poor area with a population of the entire county under 25k with more than 20% living below the poverty line. I don't think it's feasible for the school, the town, or the county to have that type of facility from the financial and support aspects.

DFW HOYA
July 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I posted this question a couple of weeks ago in response to the new MEAC members thread, but alas, no replies. Where would they build a stadium in Princess Anne? There's not really much room on campus, absolutely no infrastructure in the small town of Princess Anne, and Somerset County is a very poor area with a population of the entire county under 25k with more than 20% living below the poverty line. I don't think it's feasible for the school, the town, or the county to have that type of facility from the financial and support aspects.

The Hawks' old on-campus home, Cappy Anderson Stadium, is still there.

blackcaesar3k5
July 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM
ART Shell played at UMES..

foghorn
July 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
ART Shell played at UMES..

Yes, but it was then known as Maryland State.

Franks Tanks
July 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Why did they change their name from Maryland State- so much easier!

DFW HOYA
July 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Why did they change their name from Maryland State- so much easier!

Some schools thought "State" was a less prestigious term, (e.g., Towson State, Memphis State, North Texas State, etc.)

Franks Tanks
July 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Better than Eastern Shore. Schools like Towson and Memphis dont really need the State moniker I suspose, but Maryland Eastern Shore just insnt easy to say.

dchen
July 24th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Plus U MD Baltimore ia a graduate/professional school operation- medicine, law, business- no undergrads as far as I know.