PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Wilson returning to UM Griz secondary

Poker Alan
July 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Basically, a former member of the secondary from 04-06 who was acquitted of murder has been allowed back on the team, has to help their secondary for the upcoming season...

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_190b1c70-8de0-11df-9a5a-001cc4c002e0.html

uofmman1122
July 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Good lord!

If he can show the same skills he had in 2006, we will have two of the best cornerbacks in all of FCS!

Poker Alan
July 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Good lord!

If he can show the same skills he had in 2006, we will have two of the best cornerbacks in all of FCS!

Talk about shutdowns on both sides... our defense would be very impressive, even with some of the youth, if these two played at their potential.

TokyoGriz
July 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Jimmy Wilson has been tried 2 times and found innocent its time for him to move on with his life. Hopefully he will stay focused on that and put his past behind him were it belongs.

If he plays like he use to then the Griz will have a great pair of cornerbacks this year for sure.

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Someone who was in touch with Jimmy said he never stopped working out and hit the weights hard the last three years.

He will come in in top shape.

At 23 he is entering his physical prime for speed, strength, and coordination. Two All American CB's. Who are you going to throw away from? Pick your poison.

bigCasu
July 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I dont even know what to think of this.

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Found innocent by a white dominated jury. Spent two years in jail waiting to be exonerated. Applied to Montana and the NCAA for re-instatment. NCAA says he's good to go. Anything else you don't understand?

Squealofthepig
July 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ronbo - would add two things there. One, Wilson always maintained self-defense; and two, this was the second trial, with the first one hung at 11-1 for acquittal on self defense, and the second one 12-0.

Personally, I understand the whole thing quite well, but will admit I'm also not sure what to think. I'll give Pflugrad the benefit of the doubt and be behind him 100% though!

asu3peat
July 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
How many players (if any) were on the team with J.Wilson before all the legal battles? Just wondering if he's coming back to a completely new locker room. I remember how high you guys were on him as a player. Best of luck to the young man...if he can have a great year and be fortunate enough to play on Sundays, what a story that would be. Rank right up there with "The Blind Side".

uofmman1122
July 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
How many players (if any) were on the team with J.Wilson before all the legal battles? Just wondering if he's coming back to a completely new locker room. I remember how high you guys were on him as a player. Best of luck to the young man...if he can have a great year and be fortunate enough to play on Sundays, what a story that would be. Rank right up there with "The Blind Side".A couple of the guys, like our quarterback Andrew Selle, were redshirt freshmen in 2006. A lot of new guys have come in, but I think they'll welcome Wilson in with open arms.

slostang
July 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I hope he makes the most of his second chance. I remember when all of this went down, many of posters on E-Griz said that he was a bad seed that carried and would flash a gun at bars in Missoula.

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
That gun stuff was hearsay and rumor. He was accused of getting in a fight with a star Missoula white basketball player and popped him good. The player was a star in HS in Missoula with lot's of friends. He went to play at Oregon State but was back in town when the incident happened. All of a sudden after the fight Jimmy starts getting accused of this gun thing on eGriz by two or three posters. All eye witness you know. No proof. No arrest. No police reports. Very suspicious. Nobody that had a gun flashed at them reported it? That's strange. How many of you would report that? 98%?

I call bull on the gun nonsense.

Green26
July 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I don't think posters were saying he flashed guns in bars (altho maybe there were some idiots who said that). The rumor seemed to come from one situation not involving a bar. While Wilson was involved in the fight at the bar, the main punch or punches was thrown by someone other than Wilson.

HenZoneNation
July 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Someone who was in touch with Jimmy said he never stopped working out and hit the weights hard the last three years.

He will come in in top shape.

At 23 he is entering his physical prime for speed, strength, and coordination. Two All American CB's. Who are you going to throw away from? Pick your poison.

The dude hasn't played a down of football in four years. To say he'll be rusty would be an understatement. I'm glad to see a player get a second chance but if he's able to waltz back out onto the field and start then what is that saying about your back-up corners. It's a nice story...provided he's innocent...but I can't see how it will work. Playing CB is tough without the four year lapse.

Green26
July 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Wilson played spring ball in '07. Thus, it has been only a bit over 3 years since he was in pads. One of the things that kept Wilson positive during his over two years in jail was the dream of being able to play his senior year of football, and perhaps in the NFL. He lifted consistently. His former position coach who visited him several times in jail said he looked to be in terrific shape. It's my understanding he has been working out consistently since he was acquitted. He always worked out hard and hard a strong practice work ethic when he was at Montana. He was a three-year starter. He would have been a pre-season all-american in '07. I believe will start and be all-conference, and probably be in the running for all-american. He's the best corner I've ever seen at Montana. LDS kids come back from missions all the time, and get back on the field. Most of them probably work out less on their missions than Wilson has done, and didn't have the same motivation that Wilson has had. While he may have to work himself back into playing shape, he is very very talented, and will be a big contributor immediately.

griz5700
July 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
That gun stuff was hearsay and rumor. He was accused of getting in a fight with a star Missoula white basketball player and popped him good. The player was a star in HS in Missoula with lot's of friends. He went to play at Oregon State but was back in town when the incident happened. All of a sudden after the fight Jimmy starts getting accused of this gun thing on eGriz by two or three posters. All eye witness you know. No proof. No arrest. No police reports. Very suspicious. Nobody that had a gun flashed at them reported it? That's strange. How many of you would report that? 98%?

I call bull on the gun nonsense.

Bullsh**. The Stocks incident happened. I also saw him and his crew flash a gun out of his Navigator in the parking garage at one my friends. Why would we report it? Not worth the stress or the hassle of having to go through all the court BS. Or having to wonder if one of his boys was going to come after you. Better to just not report it.

I hope JW has changed and he is done with all the crap he used to do in Missoula. If you went to school at UM when Jimmy and crew were at UM, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

He deserves a second chance, I just don't think it should be in Missoula or at UM.

Green26
July 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm with you on this, Ronbo. Most of the stuff on Wilson, including gun rumors, are total BS, and it only started after his arrest. Sure, the Stocks incident occurred, but Wilson wasn't the main focus of it, there was fault on all sides (and no one was an angel), and there were so many conflicting stories on what happened that no one, including the police, could figure out what exactly had happened. I talked to multiple contempories and friends of Wilson, as well as the coaching staff, about much of this stuff several years ago, and they didn't believe or discounted most of it. As to the latest 5700 stuff, now it looks like any black guy with a gun (or a fingers looking like a gun or with a squirt gun) in Missoula is Wilson. Some of these guys go out in the alley at 2am in the dark of night, after they've been drinking all night, and they think they have night-scope vision and memory. Some of these posters have specific gripes with Wilson, and like to come onto the Internet to spew their BS.

griz5700
July 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm with you on this, Ronbo. Most of the stuff on Wilson, including gun rumors, are total BS, and it only started after his arrest. Sure, the Stocks incident occurred, but Wilson wasn't the main focus of it, there was fault on all sides (and no one was an angel), and there were so many conflicting stories on what happened that no one, including the police, could figure out what exactly had happened. I talked to multiple contempories and friends of Wilson, as well as the coaching staff, about much of this stuff several years ago, and they didn't believe or discounted most of it. As to the latest 5700 stuff, now it looks like any black guy with a gun (or a fingers looking like a gun or with a squirt gun) in Missoula is Wilson. Some of these guys go out in the alley at 2am in the dark of night, after they've been drinking all night, and they think they have night-scope vision and memory. Some of these posters have specific gripes with Wilson, and like to come onto the Internet to spew their BS.

Right, just any black guy with a gun, give me an f'ing break. I know who Jimmy is, I had a class with him. I also know that was him in his Navigator flashing a handgun at my friend. The parking garage has lights you know? We were all 10 feet away from him and his boys.. You older guys have no clue what really went on when he and his crew were running around Missoula. I had no issue with him until this happened.

Green26
July 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I just don't believe the BS. First it was JW and his crew flashing the gun. Now it's just JW and it was 10 feet from you. Your story gets better (and different) everytime you tell it. Also, you have no idea what Isome of us know and don't know. The university and athletic dept have spoken on this subject. They obviously don't believe most of the BS either.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Innocent or not, this says something about the Montana program... I'm not sure this kid would be given a second chance at a lot of other Universities around the nation. I agree completely with Griz5700 - he deserves a 2nd chance, but am surprised it's with the same time that had previously booted him.

Regardless, I can't even begin to imagine what he's been through and I wish him the best of luck.

Grizzaholic
July 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Innocent or not, this says something about the Montana program... I'm not sure this kid would be given a second chance at a lot of other Universities around the nation. I agree completely with Griz5700 - he deserves a 2nd chance, but am surprised it's with the same time that had previously booted him.

Regardless, I can't even begin to imagine what he's been through and I wish him the best of luck.

What does it say about the Montana program? I am interested in what you have to say.

Squealofthepig
July 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
What does it say about the Montana program? I am interested in what you have to say.

I think that will be written later, as it really is on Jimmy to write the ending. If he really is redeemed, it'll be a feel-good story and a blueprint for troubled student-athletes in the future. If, however, more problems arise, it would paint a very negative win-at-all-costs, character-be-damned portrait of UM, and it would also be a squandered chance for Wilson. I have mixed feelings primarily because of exactly this - there's not a lot of middle-ground: Jimmy succeeds and everyone's happy, or he fails and gives Pflugrad a very negative start. I'm hoping for the former, but can't rule out the possibility of the latter.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM

I think it simply says that they are willing to give kids with troubled pasts a 2nd chance, that's all... Whether it's a bad or good thing - well - that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Honestly, I'm indifferent, but I know that SDSU wouldn't be letting the kid back on the team - nor would the majority of other FCS/FBS programs across the nation. Once again, I'm not saying Montana is wrong for doing so, I'm just sayin...

Green26
July 13th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Where are you getting this "troubled past" stuff? Wilson was well-regarded by the coaching staff and athletic department. He had never been arrested or charged with anything.

JW was arrested and charged in a matter in which he claimed self-defense. The facts appear to be that he went to the house of his aunt and her live-in boyfriend, because the boyfriend, who had served time in prison twice (once for illegal weapons/assault rifles, I believe), had beaten his aunt unconscious with a hammer and then urinated on her. As he arrived at the house, in the early darkness, a guy selling drugs in front of the house went inside to tip off the boyfriend. As JW approached the house, the boyfriend emerged from the garage with an assault rifle. A struggle ensued. The gun went off with the bullet coming up from the neck or chin area, and exiting an eye.

After two trials--largely in front of white juries with a judge who was a former prosecutor and in a jurisdiction with something like a 98 or 99% conviction rate--he was acquitted with a 12-0 vote for acquittal. The prior jury voted 11-1 for acquittal.

Why wouldn't a school support the return of a kid who had served over two years in jail and had been of acquitted due to self-defense? Sure, a school could easily duck this, UM showed some courage and some balls. I like that. Perhaps you prefer school administrations and athletic departments that are afraid of their shadows.

PantherRob82
July 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Where are you getting this "troubled past" stuff? Wilson was well-regarded by the coaching staff and athletic department. He had never been arrested or charged with anything.

JW was arrested and charged in a matter in which he claimed self-defense. The facts appear to be that he went to the house of his aunt and her live-in boyfriend, because the boyfriend, who had served time in prison twice (once for illegal weapons/assault rifles, I believe), had beaten his aunt unconscious with a hammer and then urinated on her. As he arrived at the house, in the early darkness, a guy selling drugs in front of the house went inside to tip off the boyfriend. As JW approached the house, the boyfriend emerged from the garage with an assault rifle. A struggle ensued. The gun went off with the bullet coming up from the neck or chin area, and exiting an eye.

After two trials--largely in front of white juries with a judge who was a former prosecutor and in a jurisdiction with something like a 98 or 99% conviction rate--he was acquitted with a 12-0 vote for acquittal. The prior jury voted 11-1 for acquittal.

Why wouldn't a school support the return of a kid who had served over two years in jail and had been of acquitted due to self-defense? Sure, a school could easily duck this, UM showed some courage and some balls. I like that. Perhaps you prefer school administrations and athletic departments that are afraid of their shadows.

Completely agree. Wilson got completely screwed and there's no reason he shouldn't return to the Griz.

Ronbo
July 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

Lost in Jimmy Wilson's surprising return to the Montana Grizzlies, behind the hung jury in 2008 and then finally the acquittal in 2009 for the death of Fred Smoot, is that he hasn't put on football pads in a while.

It's been three years and change.

Perhaps lost behind that is the fact that Wilson, however rusty he may be when he reports to fall camp in August, is getting a second chance at more than football.

"What he really needs to do is get his **** degree," former UM coach Bobby Hauck said Tuesday. "He's not very far away."

Jim Foley, UM's executive vice president, said Monday that Wilson has three semesters left for his bachelor's. But he was on good academic footing when he left Missoula in 2007, when he was already an All-American candidate at cornerback and before he was incarcerated for the next two years.

Maybe it won't take that long for a refocused young man - Wilson turns 24 on July 30, which made him barely 18 when he entered his first fall camp with the Griz - to get that degree.

Complete Story (http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/article_4d4dc498-8f0b-11df-88f7-001cc4c002e0.html)

HenZoneNation
July 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I think his legal problems, provided they're in the past, won't be a factor...I think some posters are grossly discounting how hard this will be for him to play at this level after three years of no football....regardless of how many weights he lifted while waiting. I think your former coach sums it best about him.

Whether he can be that good again is one question.

"Have you ever played basketball after not playing for three years?" one person close to the situation asks. "You don't make your shots, you don't jump as high..."

"It'll be interesting to see how that part of it comes out," added Hauck. "He's a good player. He can help. But that's definitely part of the equation."

It will be interesting to see...prison certainly didn't help Vick combat the rust. Good luck to him.

griz5700
July 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I just don't believe the BS. First it was JW and his crew flashing the gun. Now it's just JW and it was 10 feet from you. Your story gets better (and different) everytime you tell it. Also, you have no idea what Isome of us know and don't know. The university and athletic dept have spoken on this subject. They obviously don't believe most of the BS either.

Whatever man, I know what I saw and I remember exactly how it all went down. I hope he has changed, otherwise this will blow up in UM's face.

Green26
July 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I think his legal problems, provided they're in the past, won't be a factor...I think some posters are grossly discounting how hard this will be for him to play at this level after three years of no football....regardless of how many weights he lifted while waiting. I think your former coach sums it best about him.

Whether he can be that good again is one question.

"Have you ever played basketball after not playing for three years?" one person close to the situation asks. "You don't make your shots, you don't jump as high..."

"It'll be interesting to see how that part of it comes out," added Hauck. "He's a good player. He can help. But that's definitely part of the equation."

It will be interesting to see...prison certainly didn't help Vick combat the rust. Good luck to him.

A better question would be: if you haven't played basketball/football for 3 plus years, how good will you be if you the following occurs: you lift weights consistently for 3 plus years, you run for the 3rd year, you start preparing harder for your return as you wait the many months for the ncaa to act on your waiver application, you do 3 weeks of summer workouts with the team, you continue working out for the week between summer workouts and fall practice, you practice 6 days a week for 3 weeks (sometimes twice a day), you practice once a day for a week, you get a warm up game against a lesser opponent, you dream of getting back your senior season (when you were expected to be an all-american, in your 4th year of starting) for 3 plus years (including over 2 years in jail), your body matures from a 20 year old to a 23 year old, and your significant desire to play and succeed has increased significantly during the several years of enduring what you endured and dreaming of returning; how good will you be? I say **** Good.

It's not like he's jumping back on the field after walking out of the jail door. I think most people's basketball games would be better than ever if they worked out and prepared that much prior to their first competitive game.

Ronbo
July 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
BYU players take time off all the time to go on missions and come back as 23 year olds and are better than ever. What about that is so hard to understand?

HenZoneNation
July 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
That is a very interesting point you bring up guys. It is three years to heal any old injuries. I also like the BYU point. I know very little about their program. I wonder if they set up training programs for them while they are on missions? The only problem with that rational is the length of time being gone one vs. three, and the obvious aspect of, he only has one year left and can't work out the kinks now and regroup next year.

What are the QB's and WR's on the other Big Sky teams like this year?

Green26
July 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I believe LDS missions are two years in length.