PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Kelly from Navy new HC at G'town

njhoya
January 9th, 2006, 11:06 AM
What's everyone's take on him? Working under a tremendous coach like Paul Johnson is obviously a plus.

Fordham
January 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM
when was this announced? I haven't seen a thing on it.

eagle36
January 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
players notified Kelly new coach

LBPop
January 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, that's the word that is going out to the kids. Here's a link to his bio. He should carry a lot of credibility given his background and current employer.

http://navysports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kelly_kevin00.html

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Local area, I-A program on the upswing... NICE HIRE HOYAS!

First question: navy is an option team. Is G'Town keeping the option? This guy is a defensive coach...

Fordham
January 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Congrats Hoyas.

LBPop
January 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM

First question: navy is an option team. Is G'Town keeping the option? This guy is a defensive coach...

Football banquet is this Saturday. I'm sure the new coach will be there (it's less than a 90 minute drive from Annapolis). My guess is that he will be asked a lot of questions like that. Hey 13, if you would like to attend, I'm sure I could get you a ticket. :p

Eaglegus2
January 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
What's everyone's take on him? Working under a tremendous coach like Paul Johnson is obviously a plus.

A huge plus. Looks like you may get a taste of the Triple Option at Georgetown.

It will be exciting to say the least. I wonder if he will hire any of the coaches from Georgia Southern that were let go.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM

With QB Ben Hostetler ready to take the reins in 2006, I seriously doubt that they'll go to the triple option, IMO. Folks also have to keep in mind that Bucknell already runs the triple option offense, so not only would G'Town and Bucknell be competing for the same type of athlete, Patriot League schools would prepare similarly for both, IMO making it less effective.

Looks like a good hire, though. Lots of I-AA experience (Marshall), lots on non-scholly experience (at Navy too, but also Dartmouth and I think N'Eastern at the time he was there). Like Coen's hire at Lehigh, his presence will hopefully light a fire in Hoyaville.

The PL head coaching ranks are now loaded with really great talent. Can you name a bad head coach in the PL now?

LBPop
January 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
With QB Ben Hostetler ready to take the reins in 2006, I seriously doubt that they'll go to the triple option, IMO.

Saw your earlier mention of Hostetler and while he's a talent, it's far from a done deal. The QB position will be one of many that will be interesting this spring. Nick Cangelosi had a solid season and showed some real flashes despite being saddled with a stagnant offense. He returns with two years of eligibility and will be tough to move out. Hostetler saw some playing time and displayed a tremendous arm, some athletic ability and some guts. He returns as a sophomore along with a solid fellow sophomore, Coil. I like all three of these kids and I think the competition will be intense; it will only help the Hoyas. Spring can't come soon enough.

TexasTerror
January 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM
What happened to former UW co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Brian White? Reportedly, he was considering an offer to be the head coach at Division I-AA Georgetown. Did he reject? Or was that just rumor?

Is Kelly the #2 or #3 choice of the program?

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM
He returns as a sophomore along with a solid fellow sophomore, Coil.

I think Gunner Coil might be the best of the three in another year. He was a solid grab for the Hoyas.

ngineer
January 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Article also posted at I-AA.com. Sounds like an excellent hire. Good solid coaching background--learning under the right people. Never a guarantee it translates into a HC position, but all signs are good.
Cangelosi is a local Lehigh Valley product--Nazareth HS. I would think he could run either offense. Tough kid.