PDA

View Full Version : Players with famous Dads.

Ronbo
January 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I see Chris Mortensen's son will be attending GSU. Does your team have a player with a famous Dad or relative?

The Griz have Brandon Fisher, son of Tennessee Titan Head Coach Jeff Fisher.

Brandon Fisher Bio (http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/roster/xsl/detail_roster.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_roster_detail&id_record=2146&-max=1&-find)
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/roster_images/football_men/brandon_fisher.jpg

HensRock
January 9th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Doesn't Bill Parcells (sp?) have a son playing somewhere in I-AA?

Years ago, George Allen (former Wasington Redskins HC) had a son play for UD.

ngineer
January 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Lehigh QB Sedale Threatt's father was a guard in the NBA for a good number of years, including the '76ers. However, they are not close as it appears Sr. has been a father only in a biological sense. Very good article on this appeared this fall in the local press.

PapaBear
January 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Doesn't Bill Parcells (sp?) have a son playing somewhere in I-AA?

Not sure about a son, but he does have two NEPHEWS playing at UMaine -- Chris and Craig, sons of Bill's brother, Don, who passed away during this past football season. Tough year for those kids.

henfan
January 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM
USC Coach Pete Carroll's son also had a cup of coffee with the Blue Hens are few years ago.

Pards Rule
January 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Yes remember Sedale Threatt well - Dave Zinkoff, the longtime 76ers PA guy would LOVE to holler THREATTTTTTT and add FOR THREEEEEEEEE when he sunk one beyond the line. Old Zink passed away Christmas morning, 1985, some twenty years ago. Also, John Sciarra's (Eagles nickel back & punt returner from early 1980s) son is QB for Wagner Seahawks (stop for Bill Russo immediately before Lafayette). Sciarra's #21 jersey was also worn by one Mick Jagger onstage in Philly when the Stones toured during that time.

Coastal89
January 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Coastal has William Richardson, this is from his bio.

Father Wallace played collegiately at South Carolina State and professionally for the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Colts... His brother Wally played for Penn State and Baltimore and Atlanta in the NFL,

HensRock
January 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Not sure about a son, but he does have two NEPHEWS playing at UMaine -- Chris and Craig, sons of Bill's brother, Don, who passed away during this past football season. Tough year for those kids.

Thanks PapaBear. THat's who I was thinking of!

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES STAR WIDE RECEIVER...TOMMY MCDONALD'S....SON PLAYED..AT DUH HEN HOUSE!............TUBBY RAYMOND'S KID.....DID DUH BLUE
'N GOLD..PROUD.......EDGAR JOHNSON'S...WHITTLE ONE..SUITED UP FO' DUH BLUEBIRDS!....LINEBACKER...AH BELIEVEAH!.......:nod:........BRAWQ!

SunCoastBlueHen
January 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES STAR WIDE RECEIVER...TOMMY MCDONALD'S....SON PLAYED..AT DUH HEN HOUSE!............TUBBY RAYMOND'S KID.....DID DUH BLUE
'N GOLD..PROUD.......EDGAR JOHNSON'S...WHITTLE ONE..SUITED UP FO' DUH BLUEBIRDS!....LINEBACKER...AH BELIEVEAH!.......:nod:........BRAWQ!

Well known to most Delaware fans, but maybe not to others out there - Tubby's son David was the original Phillie Phanatic.

ngineer
January 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM
A good number of years ago, Lehigh had a place kicker named Penske, who was either the son or nephew of the famed race car owner/developer who is Lehigh grad, class of 1959 and after whom the Lehigh Athletics Hall of Fame is named.

blueballs
January 9th, 2006, 04:47 PM
In addition to Mortensen, GSU also has Reggie McCutcheon, whose dad is former LA Ram star RB Lawrence McCutcheon.

FU97
January 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers' son played a Furman earlier this decade.

Furman also had a baseball player whose dad had a long career as a pitcher in MLB but the name escapes me right now.

Obzerver
January 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Chuck Norris

LU79
January 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Former St. Louis Ram's HC Mike Martz has a son at either Southern Ill. or Western Ill. or something close to one of these programs... the memory slips!

slostang
January 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Matt Hill, son of Fresno State head coach Pat Hill is a true freshman this years Cal Poly team. Tyler Mariucci, son of Former Detroit Lion HC Steve Mariucci was on the Poly team in 2003 and 2004 but hurt his back and had to give up playing. He was student coach this year.

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Former St. Louis Ram's HC Mike Martz has a son at either Southern Ill. or Western Ill. or something close to one of these programs... the memory slips!

KNOW WHATCHA MEAN....CORNBELT SQUADS........EASTERN...WESTERN...NORTHERN...SOUTH ERN....SOUTHEAST...CENTRAL....DEN PILE ON STATE.......:confused:....AWQ!

blackfordpu
January 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
For the Kats:
5 Michael Malone WR 6-3 206 Jrr-Tr Friendswood

Son of basketball great Moses Malone. :nod:

http://www.cnnsi.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/02/22/sayitaintso_sixers/t1_malone_all-01.jpg

http://www.redraiders.com/images/091705/7499_512.jpg

Mr. C
January 9th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Frank Tavani's son is a safety at Wofford.

thirdgendin
January 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers' son played a Furman earlier this decade.

Furman also had a baseball player whose dad had a long career as a pitcher in MLB but the name escapes me right now.

Tommy John

Maverick
January 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM
UMass had one of the Hasselbecks there after he transferred from BC. His father Don was a tight end for the Patriots, and older brother is the QB for the Seattle Seahawks, and another brother has been with several NFL teams as a back-up QB. He was at UMass only one season, didn't play last year, don't know why.

Pards Rule
January 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Frank Tavani's son is a safety at Wofford.

Damn, does he want to transfer?

Mr. C
January 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Tavani actually went down on an off week to watch his son play at Wofford this season. The game he saw was against Appalachian State. Who knew that App State and Lafayette would end up meeting in the playoffs.

Pards Rule
January 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Talk about a fortuitous trip! Tavani now is signed thru the 2012 season at Lafayette. There was some dissention about his calling for an on-side kick after the Pards had kicked a FG to make it 27-23, ASU, in the fourth, which then gave ASU great field position for their final TD. The Pards recovered but a Pard was offside. I stand in support of the call. A bold, unexpected move which is a Tavani trademark. It just didn't work out as planned. But a good decision nonetheless.

MarkCCU
January 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I don't know anyone in I-AA. Alls I know is Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson is the son of Green Bay Packer Whitehurst. I think he was a defensive end in the 70's and 80's

thirdgendin
January 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I don't know anyone in I-AA. Alls I know is Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson is the son of Green Bay Packer Whitehurst. I think he was a defensive end in the 70's and 80's

David Whitehurst was a QB as well as a graduate of good 'ole Furman University.

Go...gate
January 10th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yogi Berra's son Tim was a WR for UMass in the early 1970's and later, the Baltimore Colts. Nelson Rockefeller's son Mark was a TE at Princeton in the mid-late 80's.

HiHiYikas
January 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
The QB before the QB before Richie Williams, Daniel Jeremiah, is the son of Dr. David Jeremiah, founder of Turning Point Radio and Television Ministries. His programs air on Christian radio and television stations all over the world. He's isn't nearly as wacky as Pat Robertson. Hence, he isn't as famous.

Husky Alum
January 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Former NE Patriots QB Steve Grogan had a son (Tyler) who punted at NU for 4 seasons.

Steve Grogan was as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet. He'd tailgate with the diehards in the endzone with us before every game, and was just another parent. The last thing he wanted to do was draw attention away from the game toward him.

He also could eat these killer habanero sausages one of our tailgating crew makes like you wouldn't believe. One bite usually sets most peoples' mouths on fire, but Steve would eat a couple at a time.

NU wide receiver Bill Monan's uncle is the PResident of Boston College (Father Monan)

danefan
January 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
John Sciarra's (QB-Wagner) father was a heisman trophy winner at UCLA in the 70's. The son transferred to Wagner after playing sporatically at UCLA for three years.

fuEMO
January 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
David Menocal future starting center for Furman has an impressive family tree.
From his player bio… father and grandfather fled Cuba ahead of communist takeover under Fidel Castro...great-great uncle, Maj. Gen. Mario Garcia Menocal, was president of Cuba from 1913-21...another ancestor, Aniceto Garcia Menocal, was a Cuban born naturalized United States citizen who was a co-author of the original Nicaraguan and Panama Canal surveys, as well as instrumental in the design and construction of the Brooklyn (N.Y.) Navy Yard and Washington Mounument (he is buried at Arlington National Cemetary)...yet another ancestor, Pedro Garcia Menocal, is an acclaimed Cuban-American painter...is also a descendant of famed Cuban writer and independence hero Jose Marti...

Pards Rule
January 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
John Sciarra's (QB-Wagner) father was a heisman trophy winner at UCLA in the 70's. The son transferred to Wagner after playing sporatically at UCLA for three years.

And Dad played nickel back & punt returner for the Eagles. Kickoffs were handled by Vermeil's nephew, Louie Giammona (sp?) and Wally Henry.

Mr. C
January 10th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Correction: UCLA quarterback John Sciarra did not win the Heisman Trophy. The only Bruin QB to win that award was Gary Beban, who edged out O.J. Simpson in 1967. The first John Sciarra helped take coach Dick Vermeil and UCLA to the Rose Bowl and then went to the NFL and played for Vermeil as a defensive back and special teams performer with the Phildelphia Eagles. He was a tough guy.

Umass74
January 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Tim Berra lettered three years for UMass. In 1973 he was first team All-American and First team All-Yankee Conference.

Tim was the son of Yogi Berra.

Pantherpower
January 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
In addition to Mortensen, GSU also has Reggie McCutcheon, whose dad is former LA Ram star RB Lawrence McCutcheon.

My father coached Lawrence years ago when he was at Colorado State.

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Yogi Berra's son Tim was a WR for UMass in the early 1970's and later, the Baltimore Colts. Nelson Rockefeller's son Mark was a TE at Princeton in the mid-late 80's.
You are right... two of our WRs this year either broke or tied his record for catches in a game.

danefan
January 11th, 2006, 08:14 AM
You're right about Sciarra. No Heisman. But he was the Rose Bowl MVP in 1976 and is in the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame.

elkmcc
January 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I found this info on one of the Griz players to be interesting. He is not the son of a famous player but a nephew of a rather important figure in the NFL.Jason Washington (http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/roster/xsl/detail_roster.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_roster_detail&id_record=2162&-max=1&-find)

WildcatFan
January 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Bruce Elia - QB University of New Hampshire - his father Bruce played for the San Francisco 49ers from 1974-81.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2006, 12:46 PM
We had a starting linebacker last season, Nick Vella. His Dad was John Vella of the great 70's Oakland Raiders teams. Drafted in 1972 out of USC and played through 1979.