PDA

View Full Version : Benson: WAC Could Begin Evaluating TXST, UTSA

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
The guys at UTSATailgaters.com (http://www.utsatailgaters.com) landed an interview with Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Commissioner Karl Benson and got some straight-forward answers on the status of TXST and UTSA as it pertains to that league.

Currently the WAC's headquarters are in Denver, Colorado. Is there a geographical outline as far as potentially what states the WAC would like to remain in, grow in or is there a state where the WAC has had a presence before, like Texas, and maybe would like to do so again?

Right now the WAC boundaries go from Louisiana Tech to Hawaii. We would look at teams in those boundaries. The State of Texas has had a history with the WAC with SMU, Rice, TCU being in the WAC. More than that UTEP was a long-time member of the WAC. The state of Texas is a rich part of WAC history. I think that there are fledgling and new upcoming football programs in the state of Texas that i'm sure we'll have on our list, we will evaluate and explore with UTSA establishing a football program. Larry Coker has brought some immediate credibility to the program. We will watch that and evaluate Texas State up in San Marcos as a current FCS program. They have gone on the record indicating their interest and desire to move up the ranks. We've had discussions with Texas State, we've also had discussions with Lynn Hickey, and certainly are aware of their (UTSA's) plans. Over the course of the next four to six months, I'm sure both of those schools will be on the WAC's evaluation list.

Credit:
UTSATailgaters.com (http://www.utsatailgaters.com/football/articles/utsa-on-wacs-radar)

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Before I forget...

I got to give those guys at UTSA Tailgaters credit for landing the interview and getting some intriguing information pertaining to both UTSA and TXST from the "horse's mouth" (could refer to Benson, WAC Presidents or other pertinent people).

Surprised the San Marcos Daily Record and/or the San Antonio Express-News have not gone to Benson for quotes on their school(s) unless I missed them, because he certainly was accessible to UTSA Tailgaters.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Right now the WAC boundaries go from Louisiana Tech to Hawaii. We would look at teams in those boundaries.

Naw, they're not desperate - saying they'll look into any school west of the Mississippi River. xlolx

superman7515
July 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Why not just do a new take on the Lone Star Conference? Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, UTEP, Rice, SMU, North Texas, Houston, and then your choice of two from UTSA, Texas St, or SFA. Then bam, you've got a 12 team league that would garner a BCS berth and could hold a conference championship game, all the money stays in Texas, travel is at a minimum, the history of 17 past national championships (9 for Texas, 3 for A&M, 3 for SMU, 2 for TCU). Obviously the small schools would take a beating the first few years, but there would be the increased money, decreased costs from travel, and the selling point of playing in the league so you'd be able to pick up more recruits. Bid out the championship game since college football at that level is only about money because you know Jerry Jones would bid and so would the Reliant Stadium's ownership group and you'd probably get a few more bids just to drive up the price.

McNeese75
July 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Why not just do a new take on the Lone Star Conference? Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, UTEP, Rice, SMU, North Texas, Houston, and then your choice of two from UTSA, Texas St, or SFA. Then bam, you've got a 12 team league that would garner a BCS berth and could hold a conference championship game, all the money stays in Texas, travel is at a minimum, the history of 17 past national championships (9 for Texas, 3 for A&M, 3 for SMU, 2 for TCU). Obviously the small schools would take a beating the first few years, but there would be the increased money, decreased costs from travel, and the selling point of playing in the league so you'd be able to pick up more recruits. Bid out the championship game since college football at that level is only about money because you know Jerry Jones would bid and so would the Reliant Stadium's ownership group and you'd probably get a few more bids just to drive up the price.

Texas will participate in the same league as Texas State about the same time Delaware and DSU do.

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Why not just do a new take on the Lone Star Conference?

You mean Southwest Conference? The LSC is that Div II league that includes TAMU-Kingsville, Incarnate Word, A&M-Commerce, etc.

Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, UTEP, Rice, SMU, North Texas, Houston, and then your choice of two from UTSA, Texas St, or SFA. Then bam, you've got a 12 team league that would garner a BCS berth and could hold a conference championship game, all the money stays in Texas, travel is at a minimum, the history of 17 past national championships (9 for Texas, 3 for A&M, 3 for SMU, 2 for TCU). Obviously the small schools would take a beating the first few years, but there would be the increased money, decreased costs from travel, and the selling point of playing in the league so you'd be able to pick up more recruits. Bid out the championship game since college football at that level is only about money because you know Jerry Jones would bid and so would the Reliant Stadium's ownership group and you'd probably get a few more bids just to drive up the price.

I do not think that is ideal. There's a reason that the Southwest Conference broke up and that was because of the lack of television markets and general interest from outside of the state of Texas in seeing all the Texas schools play.

A new Southwest Conference as a 'mid-major' FBS would make sense. It'd be devoid of those Big 12 schools and TCU (who wants to remain a 'step ahead' of SMU and Rice. Houston may not even be in it - since they want to get to TCU's footing, if not higher...

New Southwest Conference
SMU
Rice
North Texas
UTEP
Tulsa
Tulane
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
TXST
UTSA

Depending on what happens at SFA, SHSU and Lamar - they would be in play. Non-football school Oral Roberts could be in play as well.

All hypothetical - like most anything else - but you better believe there's interest on the parts of schools like TXST, UTSA and NT to be with 'regional rivals'. Same goes for La Tech, who can't stand the travel of the WAC.

MplsBison
July 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I still say that Montana has a guaranteed spot in the WAC if they want it.

superman7515
July 11th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Texas will participate in the same league as Texas State about the same time Delaware and DSU do.

I'm not familiar with the teams, just throwing out the idea to see if it was ever discussed to have all the Texas schools together.

superman7515
July 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM
You mean Southwest Conference? The LSC is that Div II league that includes TAMU-Kingsville, Incarnate Word, A&M-Commerce, etc.

I understand that LSC is a D2 league, but I meant "a new take on" the LSC because all the teams would be in Texas as opposed to Southwest Conference where the teams are anywhere in the Southwest. You could change the name to whatever you want, I was just implying it being an all Texas conference.

Redbird Ray
July 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
A Texas based FBS league could be cool. I'm not so sure FBS senior programs like SMU and Rice will be so willing to all of the sudden drop other long time FBS programs from their schedule to play Texas State and Lamar all of the sudden, but perhaps the Texas rivalry thing could be a factor here.

I tend to think UTSA has their sights set on something more substantial than the WAC (CUSA/MWC?). I totally think Texas State and Lamar are in play for the WAC should the WAC want to or need to expand into Texas.

McNeese75
July 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not familiar with the teams, just throwing out the idea to see if it was ever discussed to have all the Texas schools together.

I understand but there are too many egos in the way for that to happen

McNeese75
July 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
A Texas based FBS league could be cool. I'm not so sure FBS senior programs like SMU and Rice will be so willing to all of the sudden drop other long time FBS programs from their schedule to play Texas State and Lamar all of the sudden, but perhaps the Texas rivalry thing could be a factor here.

I tend to think UTSA has their sights set on something more substantial than the WAC (CUSA/MWC?). I totally think Texas State and Lamar are in play for the WAC should the WAC want to or need to expand into Texas.

Do you really think Lamar is in play for the WAC when they have not even stepped on the field yet? (although I guess the same logic applies to UTSA so maybe so)

slostang
July 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Do you really think Lamar is in play for the WAC when they have not even stepped on the field yet? (although I guess the same logic applies to UTSA so maybe so)

Benson said that Larry Coker brings some immeditate credability to the program and I think that UTSA's scheduling has most likely caught the eye of the WAC.

centexguy
July 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Lamar is looking at possibly going FBS 4 or 5 years from now. I think joining the WAC only makes sense for Lamar if the WAC expands to 12 teams with a eastern division and La Tech is still in the conference along with TXST and UTSA. I doubt we'll see Lamar in the WAC which is probably a good think for both Lamar and the WAC.

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Benson said that Larry Coker brings some immeditate credability to the program and I think that UTSA's scheduling has most likely caught the eye of the WAC.

Yep - Lamar made an underwhelming hire in Ray Woodard.

They seem to have done a few things right with the startup and there seems to be a lot of interest in the program. I'm curious to see how they perform on the football field. I've been on record disagreeing with Billy Tubbs' decision to enter the SLC in year two and with their decision to load up on more JUCO/FBS transfers in memory as far as startups. They want to be competitive immediately, but I could conceivably see those two decisions backfiring, setting back the program a few years...

Can Woodard, the former TexasTerror coach succeed? We'll see...

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Got to give UTSA Tailgaiters props. They managed to land an interview with WAC Commissioner Karl Benson who in a UTSA article brings up the possibility of Texas State going to the WAC:

http://www.utsatailgaters.com/football/articles/utsa-on-wacs-radar
Currently the WAC's headquarters are in Denver, Colorado. Is there a geographical outline as far as potentially what states the WAC would like to remain in, grow in or is there a state where the WAC has had a presence before, like Texas, and maybe would like to do so again?

Right now the WAC boundaries go from Louisiana Tech to Hawaii. We would look at teams in those boundaries. The State of Texas has had a history with the WAC with SMU, Rice, TCU being in the WAC. More than that UTEP was a long-time member of the WAC. The state of Texas is a rich part of WAC history. I think that there are fledgling and new upcoming football programs in the state of Texas that i'm sure we'll have on our list, we will evaluate and explore with UTSA establishing a football program. Larry Coker has brought some immediate credibility to the program. We will watch that and evaluate Texas State up in San Marcos as a current FCS program. They have gone on the record indicating their interest and desire to move up the ranks. We've had discussions with Texas State, we've also had discussions with Lynn Hickey, and certainly are aware of their (UTSA's) plans. Over the course of the next four to six months, I'm sure both of those schools will be on the WAC's evaluation list.

dirty bird
July 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
They managed to land an interview with WAC Commissioner Karl Benson who in a UTSA article brings up the possibility of Texas State going to the WAC:

...and Karl still ribs Texas State when he mentions that it's 100 year lead on football and tradition is fledgling...

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
...and Karl still ribs Texas State when he mentions that it's 100 year lead on football and tradition is fledgling...

ugh...I dunno man. When I think of fledgling I think of a new program, in this case UTSA...even looked it up:
fledgling

Main Entry: fledg·ling
Pronunciation: \ˈflej-liŋ\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Date: 1830

1 : a young bird just fledged
2 : an immature or inexperienced person
3 : one that is new <a fledgling company>

I think that there are fledgling and new upcoming football programs in the state of Texas

Never said anything about tradition fledgling at Texas State. He said that there are young football programs in the State that they are interested in. The only young programs in the state with a desired intent to move up are UTSA and Lamar (although not sure if they have official announced anything). So not quite sure if he was referring to Texas State with that comment

dirty bird
July 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
ugh...I dunno man. When I think of fledgling I think of a new program, in this case UTSA...even looked it up:
fledgling

Main Entry: fledg·ling
Pronunciation: \ˈflej-liŋ\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Date: 1830

1 : a young bird just fledged
2 : an immature or inexperienced person
3 : one that is new <a fledgling company>

Never said anything about tradition fledgling at Texas State. He said that there are young football programs in the State that they are interested in. The only young programs in the state with a desired intent to move up are UTSA and Lamar (although not sure if they have official announced anything). So not quite sure if he was referring to Texas State with that comment

Thanks el gato. Thats nifty work there. ^^^^

I just figured he meant Texas State as he used the plural noun [ARE] in one breath to incorporate UTSA as one fledgling program [which is one, thus singular] and in the next breath he mentions Texas State. It sounds like he lumped you with us.

But if he didn't, then I can concede that he mentioned UTSA has credibility via Larry Coker, 2001 BCS National Champion.

I wonder if he knows who Brad Wright is and his credibility....
xeyebrowx

Either way, UTSATAILGATERS are great for you guys too. Without them..would Trauth, Wright or LBJ get you that interview?

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Either way, UTSATAILGATERS are great for you guys too. Without them..would Trauth, Wright or LBJ get you that interview?

Let's be honest if you are going to turn this in the way of smack towards TXST.

Coker and Hickey are not talking either. Neither the 'parties' at TXST or UTSA have any business discussing what they are doing as it relates to conference affiliation. This stuff happens behind the scenes and if it gets out there, could be a fork in the road in the direction that both would like to head...

dirty bird
July 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Let's be honest if you are going to turn this in the way of smack towards TXST.

Coker and Hickey are not talking either. Neither the 'parties' at TXST or UTSA have any business discussing what they are doing as it relates to conference affiliation. This stuff happens behind the scenes and if it gets out there, could be a fork in the road in the direction that both would like to head...

Why would Coker or Hickey need to speak? They're actions are clearly giving the entire FCS/FBS community a show. For instance, Hickey announces we are going to the SLC and then quickly backtracks, once she hears it from the alumni, students and community [i.e. Mayor, County commisioners]. She continually 'leaks' to the press that UTSA has scheduled, XYZ FBS to play at the Alamodome and away.

Coker is not doing much talking either, he's only racking up cash, donations, transportation and endorsements - the latest one today for 50 thousand dollars.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/07/12/daily3.htm

An FCS ho hum school that wants to keep its FBS aspirations secret wouldn't go through that much trouble of publicizing its deals, announcing its intentions to join CUSA. And to top it off, they did it while running the risk of getting kicked out of the SLC!

But you're correct...
They haven't said a thing........

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks el gato. Thats nifty work there. ^^^^

I just figured he meant Texas State as he used the plural noun [ARE] in one breath to incorporate UTSA as one fledgling program [which is one, thus singular] and in the next breath he mentions Texas State. It sounds like he lumped you with us.

Right...which is why I said, "not quite sure" as the definition of the word does not accurately describe my bobcats but he does bring up Texas State in the next sentence. And concerning the tense of the word, that is the reason why I brought up Lamar as I am aware he used the plural tense of the word. The mentioning of Texas State could have just been a new thought after he described the more important of the fledgling schools, UTSA.

But if he didn't, then I can concede that he mentioned UTSA has credibility via Larry Coker, 2001 BCS National Champion.

xeyebrowx

Yes we all know about Larry Coker and his BCS Championship with another coaches recruits who then allowed his thug players to steal the headlines in the ensuing years...and the rest is history. See, I can play the let's abandon reason and just talk smack about each others coaches game too.

Any media outlet that gives me credible info about Texas State is of course good for us as well. That does not mean that website is the end all be all and only source of media info for Texas State. Am I curious as to why the other news outlets in the area (especially the SMDR) didn't get a similar interview locked down, yeh, but that does not mean our entire success in the Drive to FBS hinges on the news UTSA Taligaiters reports.

Also, what TT said.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Why would Coker or Hickey need to speak? They're actions are clearly giving the entire FCS/FBS community a show. For instance, Hickey announces we are going to the SLC and then quickly backtracks, once she hears it from the alumni, students and community [i.e. Mayor, County commisioners]. She continually 'leaks' to the press that UTSA has scheduled, XYZ FBS to play at the Alamodome and away.

UTSA can schedule as many FBS institutions as it wants, but until it lands into a conference OR gains a waiver (which I feel she could be capable of) - there's not much doing. Those contracts can get ripped to shreds if UTSA does not continue forward with their move to FBS.

And how are these leaks with the university is the one issuing press releases regarding the contests? They do a fairly decent job of writing it up and then promote their other FBS games. UTSA had to announce these games as quick as possible, because it only builds interest in the program, especially in light of a community that does not understand the start-up and the first year (or two) schedule.

Coker is not doing much talking either, he's only racking up cash, donations, transportation and endorsements - the latest one today for 50 thousand dollars.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/07/12/daily3.htm

Well - that's what he has to do. UTSA hired him because of his name recognition, his ties in the college football world and the hope that he would escalate them to a higher level.

An FCS ho hum school that wants to keep its FBS aspirations secret wouldn't go through that much trouble of publicizing its deals, announcing its intentions to join CUSA. And to top it off, they did it while running the risk of getting kicked out of the SLC!

But you're correct...
They haven't said a thing........

They have said publicly that they prefer to get into C-USA or WAC in their football guide.

But they have not explained their conversations with these conferences, have they? No, they sure have not said a thing. Nor has TXST outside of a 'leak' to the San Marcos Daily Record that they have talked to three or four conferences. The WAC is the only one who has said anything about TXST and/or UTSA having talked to them. The Sun Belt has not nor has C-USA, MWC or anyone else.

Don't expect the schools or their officials to publicly say something until its a done deal as it relates to conferences. They have little to gain (if anything) and too much to lose. That's just common-sense.

And before you jump on me, you may want to realize that there has been NO ONE outside of UTSA that has spoken more positively about Hickey and the job UTSA is doing. The TXST fans will attest to that one!

chrisattsu
July 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I think we can all agree that Hickey is doing a great job promoting her program.

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'm starting to seriously think the Griz would accept nothing less than a Mountain West invite. I'm not joking.

dirty bird
July 12th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Right...which is why I said, "not quite sure" as the definition of the word does not accurately describe my bobcats but he does bring up Texas State in the next sentence. And concerning the tense of the word, that is the reason why I brought up Lamar as I am aware he used the plural tense of the word. The mentioning of Texas State could have just been a new thought after he described the more important of the fledgling schools, UTSA.

No one, aside from El Gato, injected Lamar as a possible suitor for the WAC. Politically, Karl Benson has to qualify his statements as up and coming FCS members. But let's be honest- we know who he means when he says FCS in Texas [UTSA & Tx St], up and coming [UTSA & Tx St.] and fledgling [UTSA & Tx St]. Be grateful that Texas State slid into the number one spot when UCA won the SLC. The playoff birth after that made you fledgling. Had it not been for that, you'd be second fiddle to the bears.

Yes we all know about Larry Coker and his BCS Championship with another coaches recruits who then allowed his thug players to steal the headlines in the ensuing years...and the rest is history. See, I can play the let's abandon reason and just talk smack about each others coaches game too.

In the words of Barry Switzer after winning the Superbowl with Jimmy Johnson's cowboys, "yeah and I could have lost it with his players too"

But to be frank, Miami has never had a disciplined team. So what's the surprise there? That's like saying U.T.'s players don't get busted on 6th Street, or USC's players don't take money from agents.

Any media outlet that gives me credible info about Texas State is of course good for us as well. That does not mean that website is the end all be all and only source of media info for Texas State. Am I curious as to why the other news outlets in the area (especially the SMDR) didn't get a similar interview locked down, yeh, but that does not mean our entire success in the Drive to FBS hinges on the news UTSA Taligaiters reports.

I hope you think UTSA Tailgaters are credible. You did devote a paragraph to give props to them, whereas i used one sentence to demonstrate their utility. But either way, no one implied, other than El Gato, that the Drive was dependent on Tailgaters reports. The Drive, is like UTSA's bid - it's based on the alumni, the community, and the powerbrokers. But it obviously helps when you get some one, other than another blogger or poster, give you a first hand account.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Be grateful that Texas State slid into the number one spot when UCA won the SLC. The playoff birth after that made you fledgling. Had it not been for that, you'd be second fiddle to the bears.

FYI - the school has two Div I playoff berths. The other came after SHSU and TXST both botched opportunities to win a game, which TXST emerged victorious in overtime. They could've gone from a top four seed to out of the playoffs completely. Crazy, eh? That playoff appearance (thanks to my alma mater!) brought about their FBS efforts. It showed the school could 'Pack the Wack' and had a true interest in supporting their school's floundering football program.

chrisattsu
July 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
FYI - the school has two Div I playoff berths. The other came after SHSU and TXST both botched opportunities to win a game, which TXST emerged victorious in overtime. They could've gone from a top four seed to out of the playoffs completely. Crazy, eh? That playoff appearance (thanks to my alma mater!) brought about their FBS efforts. It showed the school could 'Pack the Wack' and had a true interest in supporting their school's floundering football program.

Yes TT. We Bobcats are constantly reminded that we would not be where are today if not for your Bearkats. Next time I meet with our Athletic Department, I will ask them to add a footnote to the trophy that points viewers back to this thread, so they can be reminded of this fact.

In fact, I will ask Dr Trauth if we came get a giant statue of Sam put up on our campus so you guys can feel at home when come to our campus.

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 08:28 PM
No one, aside from El Gato, injected Lamar as a possible suitor for the WAC. Politically, Karl Benson has to qualify his statements as up and coming FCS members. But let's be honest- we know who he means when he says FCS in Texas [UTSA & Tx St], up and coming [UTSA & Tx St.] and fledgling [UTSA & Tx St]. Be grateful that Texas State slid into the number one spot when UCA won the SLC. The playoff birth after that made you fledgling. Had it not been for that, you'd be second fiddle to the bears.

Alright man, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you.xnonox
Continue your rants but I'm out...

slostang
July 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm starting to seriously think the Griz would accept nothing less than a Mountain West invite. I'm not joking.

I hope the Griz are not in a hurry because I do not see the MWC handing out invites to any FCS teams. Not even the GRIZ.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM
In fact, I will ask Dr Trauth if we came get a giant statue of Sam put up on our campus so you guys can feel at home when come to our campus.

Was only posting facts. UTSA fan only had one playoff berth for the Bobcats, but if you want to erect a statue to Sam Houston - it would make sense! We got a few on campus and in town and around Southeast Texas! ;)

SM_Bobcat
July 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM

xeyebrowx

Texas State doesn't need credibility from our football coach to move up, because our football program has a record to stand on by itself the last few years....

UTSA football has yet to play a down, thus without someone with the name like Larry Coker, UTSA football wouldn't be taken near as seriously to start out with. But, UTSA because of Coker has to be taken as a serious football player to begin with.

With Texas State, we have a long history in football, and have a football team out on the field, we will be judged not by Brad Wright, but by how out football team plays.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
With Texas State, we have a long history in football, and have a football team out on the field, we will be judged not by Brad Wright, but by how out football team plays.

On the radio in Houston today (1560 AM), they were talking about how important a year of football this is to the University of Houston football program, especially in light of their ambitious stadium plans and goals to move out of C-USA to possibly the Mountain West.

How critical of a year do you think this one is for the TXST program as far as their future goals? Both on the football field? And as far as butts in the seats?

dirty bird
July 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Texas State doesn't need credibility from our football coach to move up, because our football program has a record to stand on by itself the last few years....

Unfortunately, for your school, the only people in central and south Texas that know about this record and long tradition live in San Marcos; which is sandwiched between two major metropolitan areas, one with a Nationally renown university and another with a longtime [in Karl Benson's - WAC Commissioner's words] "up and coming, fledgling, credible" foe. Sure, you get a blurp of this in the Statesman or the Express News, but even you and your fellow bobcats definitely know you've missed the marketing bus in San Antonio, and especially in Austin. Everyday that passes, is one where a bigger win will be needed to garner the spotlight for Texas State and to erase the long history of football impotence [despite two playoff births].

SM_Bobcat
July 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
On the radio in Houston today (1560 AM), they were talking about how important a year of football this is to the University of Houston football program, especially in light of their ambitious stadium plans and goals to move out of C-USA to possibly the Mountain West.

How critical of a year do you think this one is for the TXST program as far as their future goals? Both on the football field? And as far as butts in the seats?

This year is hugely important for Texas State in all sports really....

Bobcat Club donations have already passed the total from the end of the last fiscal year (last March), and our number of season ticket sales, which excludes the Club Seats and Suites is already has surpassed any recent levels, and as you know, the time when most people purchase their season tickets hasn't even hit yet....

It is also critical year as far as setting a direction for the university in football. Right now, we have had back to back winning seasons. But have only had winning seasons 3 of the past 5 years. If we have another winning season, and post winning seasons for 3 straight and 4 of the past 6, then we show that the mediocrity of the past at Texas State in football is a thing of the past, if we have a losing season, then 2005 starts looking like the anomaly, and it brings doubt to the true direction of the football team.

SM_Bobcat
July 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately, for your school, the only people in central and south Texas that know about this record and long tradition live in San Marcos; which is sandwiched between two major metropolitan areas, one with a Nationally renown university and another with a longtime [in Karl Benson's - WAC Commissioner's words] "up and coming, fledgling, credible" foe. Sure, you get a blurp of this in the Statesman or the Express News, but even you and your fellow bobcats definitely know you've missed the marketing bus in San Antonio, and especially in Austin. Everyday that passes, is one where a bigger win will be needed to garner the spotlight for Texas State and to erase the long history of football impotence [despite two playoff births].

Texas State certainly still does have some questions that it must answer. But, to say that the only people that know about Texas State live in San Marcos is ludicrous. Try driving in Austin, and tell me how many Texas State and Bobcat car decals you see, I see almost as many as I see UT decals.

Do we have some issues with press coverage, at times, absolutely. But if you want to go by a true gauge of who the normal people look at. If you look at the WAC message board, the average fan there would rather see the WAC invite Texas State instead of UTSA.

As I stated to TT above, because of our history of football impotence, we certainly do need to keep winning, or I fully expect that will change, as we don't have a whole lot of margin for error yet. Although another winning season will go along way to changing the margin for error we have.

dirty bird
July 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Texas State certainly still does have some questions that it must answer. But, to say that the only people that know about Texas State live in San Marcos is ludicrous. Try driving in Austin, and tell me how many Texas State and Bobcat car decals you see, I see almost as many as I see UT decals.

Do we have some issues with press coverage, at times, absolutely. But if you want to go by a true gauge of who the normal people look at. If you look at the WAC message board, the average fan there would rather see the WAC invite Texas State instead of UTSA.

As I stated to TT above, because of our history of football impotence, we certainly do need to keep winning, or I fully expect that will change, as we don't have a whole lot of margin for error yet. Although another winning season will go along way to changing the margin for error we have.

Ludicrous is attempting to imply that I don't drive in Austin. I work in Austin and I live in San Antonio. So yeah, I see some bobcat decals...but they're the kids on the way to have real fun, not to settle down in suburban Austin. xlolx And I see plenty [PLENTY] more UT decals when I hit the Continental, Stubbs or the Zona Rosa in downtown Austin.

Ludicrous is also the attempt to imply that the average fan and the message board community are one in the same. They're not. If I had to estimate, cause I seriously doubt there is a true empirical study that has established this, I'd say perhaps 5% of fans are on message boards? Even if it were 10% - that would hardly qualify as a representative sample. So what does it matter that the WAC board know Texas State. I've lurked it - and I've seen you and the other bobcats recieving warm receptions. Contacts on the WAC board, using your logic, would be tantamount to making friends on the internet. xlolx So what if they know you? Congratulations xconfusedx UTSA, and Charlotte, and Georgia State, are metro universities in the same boat, all upstarts, relatively new to the board community, making splashes, putting the brand out there. And so far I've seen Georgia Southern fan not really friendly with Georgia State fan, and lately, App State has had it out with Charlotte fan. The difference in the three upstarts is that two of the other new schools are getting it from fans from schools with exceptional traditions and titles under there belt.

Either way, I know you and the rest of your bobcat fans think I'm a hater. I'm not. I have a lot of respect for your alma mater. I've set foot on it many times to install a fraternity chapter on its grounds. But, in the end, I know that winning is not going to be enough. Winning big, [i.e. getting deep into the FCS playoffs] will get you in the spotlight and turn the fledgling Tex State to the standbearer, and the ipotent Tex State to credible status. I'm sure TT and plenty of other posters will agree with me, UTSA is your double edged sword. Its your rival, but it doesn't hurt if they break stories that the SDMR doesn't, get WAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt's eyes on the both of us, or that we [UTSA] make for a fine package deal to take Texas State.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I have a hard time believing that. Having lived in Texas and traveled most of the state, there's a great deal of Texas (Longhorn) and Texas A&M (Aggies) decals throughout the state. Could not imagine there been as many or "almost as many" Bobcat decals throughout the Austin area. Equally as exaggerating is the remarks by TXST fans about their media penetration in Austin and/or San Antonio.

And I agree with the assessment by our UTSA poster that the message board community and 'average Joe' community (if you will) are not one in the same.

El Gato
July 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I have a hard time believing that. Having lived in Texas and traveled most of the state, there's a great deal of Texas (Longhorn) and Texas A&M (Aggies) decals throughout the state. Could not imagine there been as many or "almost as many" Bobcat decals throughout the Austin area. Equally as exaggerating is the remarks by TXST fans about their media penetration in Austin and/or San Antonio.

And I agree with the assessment by our UTSA poster that the message board community and 'average Joe' community (if you will) are not one in the same.

uhh...actually as a resident of Austin I have to agree with sm_bobcat, and that's cause I live in the suburbs.

Surprisingly TT, there really are quite a few open Texas State fans in the Austin area, and I cannot tell you how many people I meet on a daily basis that trace their college roots to San Marcos. True many of our alum that live here in Austin or Longhorn fans, but the moment that they have something credible to cheer for in their alma matter, I know many of these guys will come out of the woodwork.

As sm_bobcat posted in response to you, that is why this year is so important. The initial news of our attempt to move up is getting to these old alum and even Texas fans (JMO, but from talking to many of the UT fans, they really don't view our move up as threatening at all--why would they-- but rather as a little brother or cousin trying to make big brother proud), and now we need to reel them in by backing up the media blitz with a real quality package on the field. Yes, this year will be very important if we are to seal the deal with many of these closet fans and open up the doors to an even bigger fanbase.

lancerTXST
July 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM
So yeah, I see some bobcat decals...but they're the kids on the way to have real fun, not to settle down in suburban Austin. xlolx And I see plenty [PLENTY] more UT decals when I hit the Continental, Stubbs or the Zona Rosa in downtown Austin.

Got to agree with El Gato, as an Austinite since I graduated in 07 and now a resident of the SUBURB xlolx of Pflugerville. The number of bobcat stickers on austin roadways is something that amazes me year after year. And it is not that I am a homer and only notice my school, honestly. Funny, just last week I saw a UTSA sticker and thought about this very topic.

And of course you will see more UT decals in those locations you mentioned, considering they are only a mile away from their campus xnonox

chrisattsu
July 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Got to agree with El Gato, as an Austinite since I graduated in 07 and now a resident of the SUBURB xlolx of Pflugerville. The number of bobcat stickers on austin roadways is something that amazes me year after year. And it is not that I am a homer and only notice my school, honestly. Funny, just last week I saw a UTSA sticker and thought about this very topic.

And of course you will see more UT decals in those locations you mentioned, considering they are only a mile away from their campus xnonox

I have lived in the Northeast San Antonio and San Marcos areas for the last 6 years (I even worked at UTSA for awhile). I rarely saw UTSA stickers in the area until the new logo came out, and the talk of football sprung up. Even now, I don't see as many as other schools, but it has increased. I am glad to see that school pride is on the rise for their institution.

BearsCountry
July 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
When I was in Houston a year ago, I saw Texas State merchandise for sale at a liquor store in downtown Houston. Along with UT, A&M, Tech and Cougar High.

dirty bird
July 14th, 2010, 09:30 AM

I've done the obligatory rounds of office parties and bbqs at Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville...and though I have seen some bobcat decals, I still maintain that UT is sported practically everywhere. I also see quite a few Texas A&M license plates, and for some weird reason they tend to label the h*ll out of their maroon vehicles. Just weird.

I am starting to see more UTSA decals, license plate holders in SA - which is strange considering that even five years ago, you'd see the parking permit, but nothing else. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the new logo; that old one was just plain goofy and awful. It helps that around 8000 students live within walking distance and 4000 or so live on campus. That's light years ahead of when I attended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_at_San_Antonio. Hopefully, they'll tighten admissions and vie for more research dollars. All of this should help, along with football, increase student/alumni pride, which is picking up from woeful lows.

As an interesting side note related to logos, I had some friends that worked prison gang intelligence for TDCJ - Tx Dept of Criminal Justice. I remember a discussion, where they mentioned that the new Texas State name change [particularly TS logo on some caps] was providing the Texas Syndicate Gang [rival to Mexican Mafia], with apparel.

http://www.lids.com/pid/20115917

MplsBison
July 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I've done the obligatory rounds of office parties and bbqs at Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville...and though I have seen some bobcat decals, I still maintain that UT is sported practically everywhere. I also see quite a few Texas A&M license plates, and for some weird reason they tend to label the h*ll out of their maroon vehicles. Just weird.

I am starting to see more UTSA decals, license plate holders in SA - which is strange considering that even five years ago, you'd see the parking permit, but nothing else. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the new logo; that old one was just plain goofy and awful. It helps that around 8000 students live within walking distance and 4000 or so live on campus. That's light years ahead of when I attended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_at_San_Antonio. Hopefully, they'll tighten admissions and vie for more research dollars. All of this should help, along with football, increase student/alumni pride, which is picking up from woeful lows.

As an interesting side note related to logos, I had some friends that worked prison gang intelligence for TDCJ - Tx Dept of Criminal Justice. I remember a discussion, where they mentioned that the new Texas State name change [particularly TS logo on some caps] was providing the Texas Syndicate Gang [rival to Mexican Mafia], with apparel.

http://www.foto8.com/issue01/dprisontattoos/prisontattoos3.html
http://www.lids.com/pid/20115917

Thanks ... for the picture of naked Texas prison inmates...that helps...especially at work.

dirty bird
July 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks ... for the picture of naked Texas prison inmates...that helps...especially at work.

LOL
Sorry - i'll take the link down. I wasn't able to post the pic - but I didn't notice it.

Again. sorry

tw_fatcat
July 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
That is the whole reason the star was brought in. Many schools have gangs that use their logos. Before I went to school I worked in construction and the Longhorn logo was used for some prison gang.

The TS logo is only used for baseball by the way.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Our friends at UTSA may have another bit of information coming our way...very pro-active bunch. Very accurate most of the time...

--Update on the Sun Belt Conference & status towards UTSA

http://www.utsatailgaters.com/forums/forums/1/topics/29

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Even more from the horse's mouth...someone brought up a good point that the WAC Commish seems pretty resigned to getting an FCS add-on.

"The other was that of the FCS schools -- the former (Division) I-AA -- except for Texas State, there aren't any schools that have indicated that they're prepared to make the move. ... If and when we take a team from the lower division, we have to make sure we take the right team and that it's a team prepared to move to the WAC."

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100727/SPORTS06/7270342/1018/SPORTS

MaximumBobcat
July 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Even more from the horse's mouth...someone brought up a good point that the WAC Commish seems pretty resigned to getting an FCS add-on.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100727/SPORTS06/7270342/1018/SPORTS

As I said on BobcatFans, where there is smoke there is fire.

Benson has now voluntarily brought up Texas State (not been asked about, which is different) in a increasing number of newspaper and radio interviews.

You can argue the Pros and Cons of TXST moving to the WAC til the cows come home, but it seems pretty clear to me right now that the WAC has it's sights set on TXST as a very viable new member.

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
This is what I said on BFs.com...

Everyone is talking about the second point, but the first one is even more critical for TXST in my opinion...

"One of the reasons that drives us to sit tight for a while was that we wanted to make sure the national landscape was stable and that there were no further moves in any of the major conferences and we still don't know that," Benson said. "The Big 10 hasn't declared they are done. They've said they're taking a rest, pausing and it's still on their agenda. That was one reason.

The WAC really needs to wait and see what happens...

They may not have to add any other schools because everyone stays still, if they see fit - until someone is absolutely reading...

They could lose La Tech, which in my opinion makes the WAC even less attractive for North Texas or the two Texas SLC schools eying the league...as individuals at least and possible even if two came on...

And in losing La Tech, it could make the league not want to even consider going all the way to the Mississippi River by maintaining a presence from New Mexico and to the 'west'...

The league member institutions could have some serious financial issues - pending on how the economy shakes out - encouraging further regionalization than 'imperialism' into Texas.

TokyoGriz
July 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
This is what I said on BFs.com...

Everyone is talking about the second point, but the first one is even more critical for TXST in my opinion...

The WAC really needs to wait and see what happens...

They may not have to add any other schools because everyone stays still, if they see fit - until someone is absolutely reading...

They could lose La Tech, which in my opinion makes the WAC even less attractive for North Texas or the two Texas SLC schools eying the league...as individuals at least and possible even if two came on...

And in losing La Tech, it could make the league not want to even consider going all the way to the Mississippi River by maintaining a presence from New Mexico and to the 'west'...

The league member institutions could have some serious financial issues - pending on how the economy shakes out - encouraging further regionalization than 'imperialism' into Texas.

100 percent on the money IMO. Think there is a lot of "Wishful" thinking going on in Texas but we have to really wait and see how things shake out in the next couple years.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Latest from Benson...

UTSA is “high on the list” of schools under consideration for entry into the Western Athletic Conference, the WAC commissioner said Tuesday.

But with speculation swirling that a meeting is scheduled today with UTSA officials, commissioner Karl Benson said he could not confirm it.

He said he wouldn’t deny it, either.

Benson said in a telephone interview that he has talked to UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey recently in his efforts to identify potential candidates to replenish the WAC.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/WAC_taking_a_close_look_at_admitting_UTSA_10292741 9.html

cpalum
September 15th, 2010, 10:15 AM
100 percent on the money IMO. Think there is a lot of "Wishful" thinking going on in Texas but we have to really wait and see how things shake out in the next couple years.

This seems closer to reality to me as well but I would add a bit more. I think several folks have said that there is a spot for Montana in the WAC if they want it. That is true but the key phrase there is "if they want it" and why would they?

I think it is rather telling that UTSA flew to Denver to meet with Benson. Shouldn't Benson be flying to Texas? The truth is that the WAC needs these schools more than they need the WAC. If I am Benson I am flying to Doug Fullerton's office, I'm meeting with the commissioner of the Big West, the Sub Belt...I'm trying to merge, get creative? Combine with the Sky and elevate the whole conference to FBS? The WAC is 3 stable teams and 3 ready to bolt indy or otherwise. They need the "invite". Their boat is sinking and they do not have the luxury of inviting others on board...they should be signaling S.O.S.

If I had to bet The WAC 6 will be the WAC 4 or WAC 3 if something isn't done soon.xcoffeex

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think it is rather telling that UTSA flew to Denver to meet with Benson.

Never happened per the San Antonio Express News...

NoCoDanny
September 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
This is a done deal, you don't get leaks like this and it not happen...

NDB
September 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM
the fact that no one has heard anything proves just how big this conspiracy is!

msusig
September 15th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Does anybody really think Texas State can fill a 28,500 seat stadium when they averaged 13,500 in attendence in 2009? Can either UTSA or Texas State survive in the WAC? Traveling to Utah, Montana, and Idaho on a regular basis will eventually wear the average fan down. Who can really afford to travel that much or would want to travel that far? Their only hope is all the conference members leave the WAC except New Mexico St & LA Tech and try to pick up some schools that are closer. The only that will work is if the CUSA, Sun Belt, & WAC work together to split up and create conferences based on regions.

Sec310
September 15th, 2010, 11:57 PM
What if adding UTSA and Texas St. means North Texas also comes into WAC.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM
What if adding UTSA and Texas St. means North Texas also comes into WAC.

Won't happen. North Texas turned down a far more attractive WAC at least once, if not twice. North Texas wants to be a step ahead of those schools and would prefer a C-USA invite. They have far more stability in the Sun Belt, which will move ahead of the WAC in many regards moving forward and will probably play those other two OOC, but definitely not in a conference.

Does anybody really think Texas State can fill a 28,500 seat stadium when they averaged 13,500 in attendence in 2009? Can either UTSA or Texas State survive in the WAC? Traveling to Utah, Montana, and Idaho on a regular basis will eventually wear the average fan down. Who can really afford to travel that much or would want to travel that far? Their only hope is all the conference members leave the WAC except New Mexico St & LA Tech and try to pick up some schools that are closer. The only that will work is if the CUSA, Sun Belt, & WAC work together to split up and create conferences based on regions.

The WAC will most likely see NMSU, La Tech leave than the teams in the far west leaving (since there are far more limited options for those squads). TXST and UTSA fans will not enjoy the WAC as much as they are making it out, especially when their not getting coverage due to the late results playing out in the west and their inability to travel to many games. The key for them is getting FBS and once they do, they'll deal with it then.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
WAC met with TXST, UTSA...

Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson said UTSA athletic officials will likely be asked to reprise an informal presentation they gave Wednesday in Denver for the league's membership committee in the next two weeks, potentially advancing the school's quest to reach the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Benson met with UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, head football coach Larry Coker and department deputies Brad Parrott and Jim Serra for about three hours Wednesday morning to hear the school's case for membership in the WAC.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/utsa_texas_state_officially_on_wac_radar_103016944 .html

Meeting in Dallas at the end of the month...

Benson said the league's membership committee has met twice via conference call in the last week and he expects the group to meet in-person on Sept. 27 in Dallas.

"We're still in the early stages of evaluating structure, evaluating models," Benson said.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/09/14/bmurphy/wac_commissioner_we_need_assurances_fresno_state_a nd_nevada_will#ixzz0zhF9XMu7

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
SLC Commish says this may be UTSA, TXST's only opportunity to get their foot in the FBS door.

Much has been said about the WAC needing UTSA, TXST... I still feel that both institutions need the WAC just as bad. UTSA because they are banking on going FBS and have to find a conference home to do so... TXST because they have a sniff from a conference and not getting into the WAC would put them in limbo further and be another failed attempt for FBS...

They would be even greater for schools such as UTSA and Texas State as they adjust to a new level of competition.

Still, even with all the potential negatives, the bottom line — as summed up by Southland commissioner Tom Burnett — remains the same: “It might be their only opportunity to get their foot in the FBS door.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/UTSA/utsa_plows_through_its_only_open_door_103108939.ht ml?c=y&page=2#storytop

NoCoDanny
September 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM
This is a done deal people, they're both going in.

Cat79
September 18th, 2010, 12:14 AM
SLC Commish says this may be UTSA, TXST's only opportunity to get their foot in the FBS door.

Much has been said about the WAC needing UTSA, TXST... I still feel that both institutions need the WAC just as bad. UTSA because they are banking on going FBS and have to find a conference home to do so... TXST because they have a sniff from a conference and not getting into the WAC would put them in limbo further and be another failed attempt for FBS...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college/UTSA/utsa_plows_through_its_only_open_door_103108939.ht ml?c=y&page=2#storytop

TT,

How do you know this would be Texas State's only opportunity. I have a friend connected to the Sunbelt Conference that tells me if anyone leaves Texas State's got an invitation to the Sunbelt. Texas State and UTSA have expressed interest in the WAC and they need us. Texas State and UTSA are leaving the Southland very soon.

Sam Houston has to improve facilities to move up. I do believe Sam has potential with the growth in enrollment.

I know you hate that we are progressing but you should put more into who's going to backfill the Southland now. UNA has expressed a desire to move up and might be a good choice. Tarleton State has been talked about before but facilities excluded them. I have always supported A&M Kingsville. West Texas A & M is another one to look at.

superman7515
September 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM
How do you know this would be Texas State's only opportunity.

Where does TT say that this would be Texas State's only opportunity? He quoted your current conference commissioner who said this may be your only opportunity. He just said that Texas State doesn't want to be left in limbo. With all the thousands of rumors that have been floated on this site, no one has said anything about a team leaving the Sun Belt. That's probably a good sign that there won't be an opening that Texas State can get into in the near future.

Cat79
September 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM
TXST because they have a sniff from a conference and not getting into the WAC would put them in limbo further and be another failed attempt for FBS...

What is this TT statement implying? xnonox

With all the thousands of rumors that have been floated on this site, no one has said anything about a team leaving the Sun Belt. That's probably a good sign that there won't be an opening that Texas State can get into in the near future.

Conference USA has been exploring adding teams in case University of Houston or UTEP go to MWC . UNT is on Conference USA's short list which would open up a spot in the Sunbelt.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
How do you know this would be Texas State's only opportunity. I have a friend connected to the Sunbelt Conference that tells me if anyone leaves Texas State's got an invitation to the Sunbelt. Texas State and UTSA have expressed interest in the WAC and they need us. Texas State and UTSA are leaving the Southland very soon.

All I got to say is - LOL! I can't go into more details, but that's laughable. And even if someone does leave the Sun Belt, are they really in position to need to expand? Pending on how this all unfolds, the Sun Belt would only need to expand if C-USA comes taking institutions. If that happens before the WAC expands, the Sun Belt could easily add La Tech and New Mexico State. And yes, we're all aware of the La Tech issues with the league - but ... well, can't say what I know from someone "connected to the Sunbelt Conference". ;)

Sam Houston has to improve facilities to move up. I do believe Sam has potential with the growth in enrollment.

I know you hate that we are progressing but you should put more into who's going to backfill the Southland now. UNA has expressed a desire to move up and might be a good choice. Tarleton State has been talked about before but facilities excluded them. I have always supported A&M Kingsville. West Texas A & M is another one to look at.

I am not worried about SHSU at this point. We're keeping tabs on things and this thread is not about SHSU. It is about UTSA, TXST. The TXST folks are the ones who continually bring up SHSU in the conversation. I love talking realignment and we started a thread re: Div II realignment and some of the ones who may move up. SHSU is not going to stick around in the SLC if we start adding Div II schools or the Louisiana schools (namely SLU, NWST and Nicholls) fall out due to economics.

Where does TT say that this would be Texas State's only opportunity? He quoted your current conference commissioner who said this may be your only opportunity. He just said that Texas State doesn't want to be left in limbo. With all the thousands of rumors that have been floated on this site, no one has said anything about a team leaving the Sun Belt. That's probably a good sign that there won't be an opening that Texas State can get into in the near future.

Thanks superman! Sometimes it takes the 'Man of Steel' to actually comprehend what it said!

And yes, if the WAC closes down and/or does not take TXST, UTSA - I have a hard time believing that TXST would get picked up immediately by any FBS conference unless there are wholesale changes to FBS west of the Mississippi. The Sun Belt does not want to add FCS teams if they can avoid it. They are past that stage in their growth process and they are trying to build a reputation... and we know TXST has no chance at C-USA. UTSA has a bit better chance...but not much chance either.

Cat79
September 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
All I got to say is - LOL! I can't go into more details, but that's laughable. And even if someone does leave the Sun Belt, are they really in position to need to expand? Pending on how this all unfolds, the Sun Belt would only need to expand if C-USA comes taking institutions. If that happens before the WAC expands, the Sun Belt could easily add La Tech and New Mexico State. And yes, we're all aware of the La Tech issues with the league - but ... well, can't say what I know from someone "connected to the Sunbelt Conference". ;)

The Sunbelt is not going to get Louisiana Tech. They are now on board with adding Texas State and UTSA. BTW, New Mexico State fans do not have interest in going back to the Sunbelt. That idea does not hold water. Louisiana Tech fans would rather go into the MAC than the Sunbelt.

I love talking realignment and we started a thread re: Div II realignment and some of the ones who may move up. SHSU is not going to stick around in the SLC if we start adding Div II schools or the Louisiana schools (namely SLU, NWST and Nicholls) fall out due to economics.

You had better start thinking about adding DII teams or making arrangements with North and South Dakota to be football members.

And yes, if the WAC closes down and/or does not take TXST, UTSA - I have a hard time believing that TXST would get picked up immediately by any FBS conference unless there are wholesale changes to FBS west of the Mississippi. The Sun Belt does not want to add FCS teams if they can avoid it. They are past that stage in their growth process and they are trying to build a reputation... and we know TXST has no chance at C-USA. UTSA has a bit better chance...but not much chance either.

The WAC is not going to close down. Texas State and UTSA will have a positive effect on the WAC achieving stability along with some other western additions.
The Sunbelt will not have a choice if Conference USA takes out UNT. They will have to move the SBC footprint further east by taking Jacksonville State and lose Texas recruits.

El Gato
September 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Where does TT say that this would be Texas State's only opportunity?

It is clearly implied. Maybe not to you who since you haven't been following as closely. But for those of us that have, including TT, he makes comments that suggest this quite regularly over on our forum.

TXST needs the WAC

The longer you go without an FBS conference, the more your fan base gets worked up and the more pressure mounts on the university's leadership to make something happen...

The WAC is your only option...

The WAC needs new members, but TXST need the WAC...

Another failed attempt at FBS with everyone knowing that TXST is at the WAC's doorsteps would be a bad situation.
http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19882

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
The WAC is not going to close down. Texas State and UTSA will have a positive effect on the WAC achieving stability along with some other western additions.

How does TXST and UTSA help with stability? For a conference where revenues are dropping after losing Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada - you are now forcing schools to travel further than they did before? Instead of one La Tech, you have THREE. The league is already costly to maneuver because of Hawaii in the west, La Tech in the east and some hard to get to cities (Moscow, Idaho is not a fun trip).

Adding TXST and UTSA will be good for getting the league to stabilize as an FBS league, but EVERY school in the WAC is looking to get out. Yes, EVERY school. Hawaii wants in the MWC, Utah State wants to reunite with whichever Utah school it can (minus Weber State/Southern Utah), La Tech wants in C-USA, New Mexico State wants with New Mexico (or UTEP) and San Jose State would like to be with those California schools it sees itself on equal footing with (i.e. SDSU, Fresno State).

The Sunbelt will not have a choice if Conference USA takes out UNT. They will have to move the SBC footprint further east by taking Jacksonville State and lose Texas recruits.

The Sun Belt may be forced to take an FCS, but would think that if C-USA takes North Texas, it would impact some of the schools in the WAC one way or another first - whether the Sun Belt takes them to kill the league (i.e. La Tech, NMSU) or what not. The Sun Belt is in a good position right now. They are not forced to do much of anything until someone else reacts. None of their schools outside of maybe North Texas (and to a lesser extent - the MT/WKU package) are solid options for any league at this point .

It is clearly implied. Maybe not to you who since you haven't been following as closely. But for those of us that have, including TT, he makes comments that suggest this quite regularly over on our forum.

Was anything wrong in what you quoted? TXST needs the WAC. There are no other FBS options. The Commissioner brought up a great point, this is perhaps your only shot at going through the door. The San Marcos faithful will not be thrilled if the WAC option vanishes (either because of the league or because it does not make financial sense).

McNeese75
September 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
This is a done deal people, they're both going in.

I hope so, I am tired of hearing about it. Let em both in and then they will probably disappear into obsecurity.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I hope so, I am tired of hearing about it. Let em both in and then they will probably disappear into obsecurity.

I agree...

The WAC situation is dragging and dragging... we both know TXST and UTSA are going in, because both the conference and schools need each other BADLY. Whether or not it is the best move, remains to be seen - but let's move on it!

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM
From the Sun Belt Board... interesting perspective... makes you think about the UTSA situation compared to that of TXST. Bobcats keep talking about history, but these programs with no history are drawing crowds. Will UTSA?

Those of you that think Texas State should be invited to the Belt need to look at their attendance. They had 12K show up this last weekend for Cal Poly. Pretty sad. And Texas State fans will blame this on the lack of interest due to the opponent - but look at USA against Nichols! The opponent should not be the excuse, fans should show up to watch the team that they cheer for. USA is proof of that. Sometimes I think that it is better to have no history over bad history. These start-up programs don't have decades of apathy playing against them.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=453906&pid=5742860#pid5742860

tw_fatcat
September 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I think that is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Sure, a school will draw well the first few games but that dies off. It is new, people like new. When the wins aren't coming in and the opponents are nobodies people lose interest.

From a conference's interest standpoint there is absolutely nothing to assess other than current support for other sports. Right now, UTSA struggles with attendance mightily. I am not saying it is a foregone conclusion that they will struggle with football but I wouldn't bet on them having great turnout longterm either.

North Texas fans have taken a huge interest in this for the same reason the WAC has and that is potential. If either one of these teams performs it puts UNT in a worse spot than they already are. These moves could hurt UNT very badly.

Cat79
September 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
From the Sun Belt Board... interesting perspective... makes you think about the UTSA situation compared to that of TXST. Bobcats keep talking about history, but these programs with no history are drawing crowds. Will UTSA?

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=453906&pid=5742860#pid5742860

You are a tool TT. Always trying to find a way for Texas State not to advance. You are a true hater. The Sunbelt does not have any clout over the WAC. I don't care what you have to say. Get used to it Texas State is moving up and you can't handle it. UTSA will have good crowds for their first two games and fall off drasticly after that.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM
I think that is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Sure, a school will draw well the first few games but that dies off. It is new, people like new. When the wins aren't coming in and the opponents are nobodies people lose interest.

This is year No. 2 of the South Alabama program. They got the momentum going their way and I think it will only increase. Mobile is a GREAT football market and I think the folks at USA have done a great job building up their schedule for future. Should be the top attendance in the SBC upon arrival.

You are a tool TT. Always trying to find a way for Texas State not to advance. You are a true hater. The Sunbelt does not have any clout over the WAC. I don't care what you have to say. Get used to it Texas State is moving up and you can't handle it. UTSA will have good crowds for their first two games and fall off drasticly after that.

You must be new to conference realignment...

The Sun Belt is a much better conference than the WAC in wake of the changes. The league is much more stable and is only moving forward at a rapid pace.

I do not care about you folks moving up. I think moving to the WAC is a bad move for you, but alas - this is your best window of opportunity and you haev no other option. I've seen first-hand what has happened to ULM and to a lesser extent, La Tech (just have not been there as much as Monroe). TXST is not a geographic fit for the WAC - no matter how Benson cuts it - however for momentum, you need to get into an FBS now or your funding from outside sources will begin to dwindle. The students are fronting the cost to put you at the status quo. To take it to a new level, the outside funding is critical.

SM_Bobcat
September 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
This is year No. 2 of the South Alabama program. They got the momentum going their way and I think it will only increase. Mobile is a GREAT football market and I think the folks at USA have done a great job building up their schedule for future. Should be the top attendance in the SBC upon arrival.

You must be new to conference realignment...

The Sun Belt is a much better conference than the WAC in wake of the changes. The league is much more stable and is only moving forward at a rapid pace.

I do not care about you folks moving up. I think moving to the WAC is a bad move for you, but alas - this is your best window of opportunity and you haev no other option. I've seen first-hand what has happened to ULM and to a lesser extent, La Tech (just have not been there as much as Monroe). TXST is not a geographic fit for the WAC - no matter how Benson cuts it - however for momentum, you need to get into an FBS now or your funding from outside sources will begin to dwindle. The students are fronting the cost to put you at the status quo. To take it to a new level, the outside funding is critical.

TT, no doubt, the SunBelt is a much better conference based on last years results. But, the WAC still does have history on its side. And there is something to be said about name recognition to the average fan. You act like all football fans follow all the conferences very closely, they don't. Personally given the realignment if we had a choice, I would take the SunBelt over the WAC. But, it doesn't appear that we will have a choice.

And you keep saying that Texas State is not a geographic fit for the WAC, well guess what TCU isn't exactly "geographic" fit for the MWC. And who is to say that depending on who the WAC adds, that the team or teams that are not a geographic fit are Hawaii and San Jose State. No doubt, that the WAC is spread way to far to be a good 9 team league. Hawaii to Louisiana. But, depending on who the WAC adds, the center of the league very well could end up centered around La Tech, Texas and New Mexico. Instead of California.....

Cat79
September 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
TT, no doubt, the SunBelt is a much better conference based on last years results. But, the WAC still does have history on its side. And there is something to be said about name recognition to the average fan. You act like all football fans follow all the conferences very closely, they don't. Personally given the realignment if we had a choice, I would take the SunBelt over the WAC. But, it doesn't appear that we will have a choice.

And you keep saying that Texas State is not a geographic fit for the WAC, well guess what TCU isn't exactly "geographic" fit for the MWC. And who is to say that depending on who the WAC adds, that the team or teams that are not a geographic fit are Hawaii and San Jose State. No doubt, that the WAC is spread way to far to be a good 9 team league. Hawaii to Louisiana. But, depending on who the WAC adds, the center of the league very well could end up centered around La Tech, Texas and New Mexico. Instead of California.....

SMBobcat

The WAC is much better from last year's results. The WAC teams have won bowl games. What has the Sunbelt done?

TT is a Texas State hater so let him rot in the SLC.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
You act like all football fans follow all the conferences very closely, they don't.

I know - we learned that with TXST fans in '05 when you guys were a legitimate program and had to pay attention to other conferences around the FCS landscape. I think many of your fan base came to appreciate the other schools from around the nation and enjoyed learning about UNI, GSU and CP.

If the WAC drops Louisiana Tech, the center of the league moves west. The league has always centered around schools from UTEP to Hawaii. The schools east of UTEP have never been really core to the league and not had a long 'shelf life'. It would surprise me immensely if the WAC holds par for 15-20 years with a large amount of teams in the TX, LA, ARK area if that's the way they go.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
The WAC is much better from last year's results. The WAC teams have won bowl games. What has the Sunbelt done?

The current WAC or the WAC to be? The WAC to be has not fared so well. Can't base your sentiment on the WAC that exists still, but on the WAC that will exist...

TT is a Texas State hater so let him rot in the SLC.

I am a fan of conference realignment and changes to the NCAA. I'd be happy with SHSU in a strong Southland Conference and competing for a national championship. We'd be more successful there than at the FBS level where there's no seat at the table for everyone (see Hawaii, Utah, Boise State and TCU, etc. of year's past).

If we are forced to jump up, so be it. Not convinced it is the best decision nor do I think you guys going to the WAC is - but hey, it is your only option and the decision you have to make.

TheRiver
September 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Good Wins this year out of the WAC, I know Boise will not be there.

But Fresno over Cincinnatie
Nevada over Cal
Are good wins if you ask me

Sat, Sep 04 Fresno State 28 Cincinnati 14

Mon, Sep 06 Virginia Tech 30 Boise State 33

Sat, Sep 11 New Mexico State 21 San Diego State 41

Sat, Sep 11 Nevada 51 Colorado State 6

Fri, Sep 17 Nevada 52 California 31

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Good Wins this year out of the WAC, I know Boise will not be there.

But Fresno over Cincinnatie
Nevada over Cal
Are good wins if you ask me

You do realize that FRESNO STATE and NEVADA are going to the Mountain West, correct?

Where are the wins by San Jose State, Utah State, Idaho, New Mexico State (you listed a loss), Hawaii and La Tech? ;)

MaximumBobcat
September 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
You do realize that FRESNO STATE and NEVADA are going to the Mountain West, correct?

Where are the wins by San Jose State, Utah State, Idaho, New Mexico State (you listed a loss), Hawaii and La Tech? ;)

Idaho has a solid W over MWC member UNLV.

Hawaii over Army isn't too bad either.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Idaho has a solid W over MWC member UNLV.

UNLV may finish 1-11 or 0-12 this year. That's not a BCS AQ win. Those are the ones that matter for the WAC, Sun Belt, MAC and C-USA.

Hawaii over Army isn't too bad either.

We're talking Army!?!? Went 4-7 last year. 3-9 year before. Remember Navy and Air Force are the two dominant competitors in the C-in-C battle. Definitely not Army, who needs Eastern Michigan and Tulane to account for most of their wins! Last went to a bowl in 1996. Have they had a winning record since?

Come on Max - your better than that!

MaximumBobcat
September 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
UNLV may finish 1-11 or 0-12 this year. That's not a BCS AQ win. Those are the ones that matter for the WAC, Sun Belt, MAC and C-USA.

No, you're wrong. OOC FBS wins matter a lot. Idaho beat UNLV just as good as #12 Wisconsin and #20 Utah did. Go look it up.

We're talking Army!?!? Went 4-7 last year. 3-9 year before. Remember Navy and Air Force are the two dominant competitors in the C-in-C battle. Definitely not Army, who needs Eastern Michigan and Tulane to account for most of their wins! Last went to a bowl in 1996. Have they had a winning record since?

Army is 2-1 this year. They're not a great team, never said they were, but so far this season they've played a MAC team, a Sunbelt team, and a WAC team and they beat the MAC and Sunbelt teams.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
No, you're wrong. OOC FBS wins matter a lot. Idaho beat UNLV just as good as #12 Wisconsin and #20 Utah did. Go look it up.

Score comparisons do not matter much and yes OOC FBS wins are nice, but when you are beating non-AQ BCS, does it really matter? That does not rise the profile of the league unless you are talking about TCU, Utah (for now) or Boise State...

Perhaps when you are the WAC, SBC or MAC it does. I know the SBC publishes in their weekly notes their record against C-USA, because that's who they want to be better than. I guess for the WAC, it may be MWC - since that is who they envy so much.

Army is 2-1 this year. They're not a great team, never said they were, but so far this season they've played a MAC team, a Sunbelt team, and a WAC team and they beat the MAC and Sunbelt teams.

Again, this is Army... and the comparison is pretty weak. They beat two 'sisters of the poor' from those conferences while playing one of the better teams from the WAC. There is a reason Army routinely schedules EMU! Either way, you are reaching...

It is not worth arguing. The WAC is an inferior conference when it loses Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State.

The league becomes "Hawaii and the WAC Also-Rans". Conference carries no weight moving forward and even those league members will tell you that bringing on FCS programs is the last thing they want to do. It is about survival for them - most of which are very poorly funded for such a geographically challenged league.

MaximumBobcat
September 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
when you are beating non-AQ BCS, does it really matter? That does not rise the profile of the league unless you are talking about TCU, Utah (for now) or Boise State...

You're getting your arguments mixed up there TT.

Does it matter? Yes. Any W matters.

Does it raise the profile of your conference? Not really. But neither would a win over BCS Baylor or BCS Washington State or BCS Iowa State and the list goes on...

Again, this is Army... and the comparison is pretty weak. They beat two 'sisters of the poor' from those conferences while playing one of the better teams from the WAC. There is a reason Army routinely schedules EMU! Either way, you are reaching...

No, you were the one who was reaching when you tried to describe this as a bad win this early in the season.

It is not worth arguing. The WAC is an inferior conference when it loses Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State.

The league becomes "Hawaii and the WAC Also-Rans". Conference carries no weight moving forward and even those league members will tell you that bringing on FCS programs is the last thing they want to do. It is about survival for them - most of which are very poorly funded for such a geographically challenged league.

Why will they be inferior? Because your "Bleacher Report" stories told you so? ;) xlolx xlolx

The WAC may take a temporary hit while TXST, UTSA and Montana?, Lamar? make strides towards becoming full FBS members, but IMO, they will be back above the Sunbelt in a few years, just like they are now.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
The WAC may take a temporary hit while TXST, UTSA and Montana?, Lamar? make strides towards becoming full FBS members, but IMO, they will be back above the Sunbelt in a few years, just like they are now.

The Sun Belt is only getting stronger. That's what people fail to realize. Dog the league all you want, but it just hit 10 years old of football. It has been getting better with each passing year...

With new facilities coming online at FAU and FIU - that'll help. That's a recruiting hotbed in Florida. Will be curious if the facilities will have a Troy-like difference in the making for those two Florida schools. North Texas has a new stadium and soon, a new coach. That'll help too.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
The Sun Belt is only getting stronger. That's what people fail to realize. Dog the league all you want, but it just hit 10 years old of football. It has been getting better with each passing year...

With new facilities coming online at FAU and FIU - that'll help. That's a recruiting hotbed in Florida. Will be curious if the facilities will have a Troy-like difference in the making for those two Florida schools. North Texas has a new stadium and soon, a new coach. That'll help too.

FAU and FIU are awful. Any success either has had is purely due to the fact that the rest of the Sun Belt is also awful. On any given year, any SunBelt team would be lucky to win the CAA or SoCon. Florida is a recruiting hotbed, yes, but it also has UF, FSU, Miami, USF and UCF which are all more prestigious programs with better draw than FIU or FAU, leaving those schools with the dregs of the in state recruits.

Texas already has more FBS programs than any other state, and while it is also a football recruiting hotbed, the last thing any FCS should want is to get stuck at the bottom of that heap. I seriously do not understand the draw of jumping from being a competitive FCS program with some chance of a national title to becoming a bottom rung FBS program that will be lucky to play in the Hebrew National Wiener Bowl.

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I seriously do not understand the draw of jumping from being a competitive FCS program with some chance of a national title to becoming a bottom rung FBS program that will be lucky to play in the Hebrew National Wiener Bowl.

Atleast they'll be plenty of good hot dogs at that bowl game! Can't beat a Hebrew National - especially the low fat ones!