PDA

View Full Version : Griz upgrade receiving corps with 4 star WR.

Ronbo
July 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Out of UCLA comes 6'2" Antwon Moutra. A sub 4.5 Junior with two years to play. Prepstar All American, 4 star rivals and scout. Number 27 WR by rivals. Rated 5.8 by rivals.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Antwon-Moutra-55407

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfOTVzv5PxM

MR. CHICKEN
July 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
CAA'S REIGN....COOD BE OVERAH.....'LESS DEM D-BACKS....ARE UH BUNCH O' ACTORS....IN DUH ROLE O' D-BACK...xrotatehx....BRAWK!

FCS Go!
July 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Is this a done deal? I thought we were still in the rumor stage.

mikebigg
July 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Seems to be a good pickup if it comes to fruition..

Ronbo
July 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Confirmed by the LA Daily News.

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2010/07/weekly-answers-pt-5-13.html#more

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Here is a link to a story from the Los Angeles Daily News, its a little more in depth. There are two stories about transfers on this link, the one about Moutra is the second one down, about half way.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_15473717?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com

Ronbo
July 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
From the link above.

Moutra heading to Montana

Former Culver City receiver Antwan Moutra has found a new destination after deciding to leave UCLA: the University of Montana.

Culver City assistant coach Greg Goodyear said Moutra fell in love with Montana and connected with Coach Robin Pflugrad, who had been the first coach to offer Moutra a scholarship in high school when Pflugrad was at Oregon. Pflugrad also coached former Culver City receiver Michael Bumpus.

Pflugrad told Moutra he had a chance to play the Z position slot on the right and have a chance to catch 50 to 80 balls, according to Goodyear.

"He wanted a real family atmosphere and he wanted a situation where they really back the team," Goodyear said.

Goodyear said Moutra liked the college-town atmosphere of Missoula, Mont., and how the fans embrace the team.

"They sell more season tickets there than they do at UCLA," Goodyear said. "Their stadium holds just 27,000, but they sell out every game.

He loved how the people reacted to the team. They're rabid, and he loved that."

[email protected]

TokyoGriz
July 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Lets see how he plays with that new QB we got out of oregon!

Time to see a real West Coast offense like the good ole Dave Dickenson days!

Still remember quite of few games with our score in the 50s to 70s

Jacked_Rabbit
July 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wow... Good size - runs his routes well - catches the ball with his hands. This dude could make a pretty big impact for the Griz. Congrats!

Does it say why he decided to leave UCLA? I don't see any reasons listed in the article...

Ronbo
July 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Lack of playing time is my best guess. He's a good student and no trouble reported.

MplsBison
July 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Couple things come to mind:

1) why is leaving UCLA?

2) why is he transferring down to FCS instead of trying to transfer to a FBS or BCS program?

3) his practice tape looks good, but I have a feeling that it's against the #2 db. Maybe I'm wrong...but if he was doing that to UCLA's starting db, you'd think he'd have no problem being the starter.

There are legitimate responses to all of these, just wondering.

Ronbo
July 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
1. Pretty sure a lack of playing time.
2. Can't play in 2010 if he transfers to FBS. Article says he really connected to Phlugrad and Missoula.
3. Most 2nd sting UCLA DB's would be stars at FCS level. Even 3rd stinger UCLA DB's are young 3 and 4 star HS recruits.

And number 4. Marc Mariani just got drafted by the Titans and signed a three year contract.

MplsBison
July 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
1. Pretty sure a lack of playing time.
2. Can't play in 2010 if he transfers to FBS. Article says he really connected to Phlugrad and Missoula.
3. Most 2nd sting UCLA DB's would be stars at FCS level. Even 3rd stinger UCLA DB's are young 3 and 4 star HS recruits.

Right...but I guess my point was that my gut tells me he's not good enough to be a significant contributor at UCLA. If he was that good, but say he just didn't fit in on the team or didn't like the school or coaches, then he would transfer to a different BCS school. It doesn't really matter that he'd have to sit out a year, he was only a true freshman last season.

Usually kids who transfer from BCS to FCS do so because they know that's their best chance to play.

Not trying to knock him at all. I hope he does very well at MT!

Ronbo
July 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
He's a Junior.

Since 2006 UCLA has recruited six 4 star receivers all rated 5.8 to 5.9. They also recruited 5-6 athletes that were 4 stars and rated 5.8 to 5.9. I would say there's a good chance you could be very talented and ride the pine there.

Torgo
July 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Very nice. Considering the question marks at the position for the Griz this could be a coup.

TokyoGriz
July 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Right...but I guess my point was that my gut tells me he's not good enough to be a significant contributor at UCLA. If he was that good, but say he just didn't fit in on the team or didn't like the school or coaches, then he would transfer to a different BCS school. It doesn't really matter that he'd have to sit out a year, he was only a true freshman last season.

Usually kids who transfer from BCS to FCS do so because they know that's their best chance to play.

Not trying to knock him at all. I hope he does very well at MT!

Hard to know for sure why he chose to transfer to Montana.

But I would guess the fact Montana has had our fair share of NFL caliber products who are making a splash in the NFL right now it may be possible he moved for the chance to play and get more exposure. The article had coach P promising him what 50-80 touches a year at least. Seems to me the desire to play and get exposure at a High caliber FCS program that has a track record of both winning and producing NFL players is his motivation.

The year he would have to sit out to tansfer to another FBS is a bigger issue than some think. Thats most likely why he chose to move to a top level FCS team. If playing in the NFL is his desire there is no reason why he cant excel at Montana and get enough attention from the scouts to do just that.

lionsrking2
July 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Couple things come to mind:

1) why is leaving UCLA?

2) why is he transferring down to FCS instead of trying to transfer to a FBS or BCS program?

3) his practice tape looks good, but I have a feeling that it's against the #2 db. Maybe I'm wrong...but if he was doing that to UCLA's starting db, you'd think he'd have no problem being the starter.

There are legitimate responses to all of these, just wondering.

From watching the posted video, and going back to his high school highlights, I can see why he had trouble getting on the field in the Pac-10...he's sluggish off the snap and doesn't change direction very quickly...I don't really care that he beats the DBs on the video, because they're probably walk-ons or buried on the depth chart...I focus on how quick he gets off the line of scrimmage and how abruptly he can change direction...the route precision itself is pretty good, and he shows good hands, but appears to me to be a possession type guy at best at the BCS level...that's not to say I don't think he can be productive at Montana, or any other FCS program, but I wouldn't be expecting an instant impact guy.

TokyoGriz
July 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM
From watching the posted video, and going back to his high school highlights, I can see why he had trouble getting on the field in the Pac-10...he's sluggish off the snap and doesn't change direction very quickly...I don't really care that he beats the DBs on the video, because they're probably walk-ons or buried on the depth chart...I focus on how quick he gets off the line of scrimmage and how abruptly he can change direction...the route precision itself is pretty good, and he shows good hands, but appears to me to be a possession type guy at best at the BCS level...that's not to say I don't think he can be productive at Montana, or any other FCS program, but I wouldn't be expecting an instant impact guy.

If these issues are true then why would he be so highly rated? Im not saying your wrong just wondering if what you say is true it seems the "Rating Pros" have no idea what they are talking about. Out of curiousity since you feel you have a fair amount of info on the kid what would you give him in terms of rating?

Rivals has him as Rated 5.8 , number 27th WR

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n-Moutra-55407

lionsrking2
July 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
If these issues are true then why would he be so highly rated? Im not saying your wrong just wondering if what you say is true it seems the "Rating Pros" have no idea what they are talking about. Out of curiousity since you feel you have a fair amount of info on the kid what would you give him in terms of rating?

First of all, I'm not suggesting he can't play nor am I suggesting that he's not a good pickup for Montana...the question was raised as to why he left UCLA and why he didn't see much of the field, and I gave my opinion...after watching the video that was posted, I dug up his high school video for comparison's sake...to me, he's more polished now, but not much different athletically, which leads me to the conclusion he was overrated out of high school...the fact that he had trouble finding PT for a bad UCLA offense tends to support that. Not saying my opinion is right or wrong, but I do evaluate athletes for a living (different sport), and I do have a coaching background in football.

Now, others may watch the same video and draw a different conclusion, which is fine by me...bottom line is you'll find out what type of player you have in short order...hopefully he becomes a good one for the Griz!!

UNH Fanboi
July 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Trying to predict how well players will do in college based on what they did in high school involves a ton of guess work. There's a wide disparity in competition at the high school level and there will always be a bias towards overrating players from well-known feeder schools. Even a diligent scout can't know for sure:
- whether a player's athleticism and skills will continue to improve in college,
- how a player will adjust to a significant step-up in competition,
- whether or not a player can handle not being the best player on the team, etc.

Just look at how many high NFL draft picks end up flopping and how many low drafts picks have great careers. There is 100x more accurate information on college players than high school players, the competition is more standardized, and college players are more fully developed....yet we still can't accurately predict how well they'll do at the next level.

All that being said, this guy could be a great pickup for Montana. I have no idea. I just wouldn't put too much stock in his Rivals rating alone.

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Another late signing at WR. Jordan Canada, played RB in HS and averaged 13 yards per carry. Looks very fast. Griz will add him to the WR corps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXAg2Sj_XJQ

TokyoGriz
July 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks for your replies Lionsrking2 and UNH Fanboi.

Good points. He would be going to replace Marc Mariani who coming out of high school got no offers NO RATING and had to WALK on at U of M. Now Marcs ready to hopefully make a splash in Tennesee.

Hopefully he will adjust well to U of M and kick some serious tail. I have a feeling a real "west coast" offense is about to shake the big sky conference in the next couple years.

On Jordan Canada whats up with him being WR not RB?

Ronbo
July 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks for your replies Lionsrking2 and UNH Fanboi.

Good points. He would be going to replace Marc Mariani who coming out of high school got no offers NO RATING and had to WALK on at U of M. Now Marcs ready to hopefully make a splash in Tennesee.

Hopefully he will adjust well to U of M and kick some serious tail. I have a feeling a real "west coast" offense is about to shake the big sky conference in the next couple years.

On Jordan Canada whats up with him being WR not RB?

Looks like Robin wants to add speed and depth to the WR corps.