DB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
DB Arin West, Stony Brook
DB Marcus Lott, Coastal Carolina
DB Cedric McGowan, Gardner-Webb

Special Teams

K Matt Bevins, Liberty
P Marc Ray, VMI
RS Deon Lee, Charleston So

Full Listing (including second team): http://philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10FCSPreseasonAllConf/Big%20South%20Web%201.pdf

Libertine
July 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Why 4 DL's on the 1st-team and only 3 on the 2nd-team? Phil is aware that there are more than 7 defensive linemen in the entire conference, right?

Redwyn
July 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Why 4 DL's on the 1st-team and only 3 on the 2nd-team? Phil is aware that there are more than 7 defensive linemen in the entire conference, right?

Some things I think I think:

1. I love how Wesley Skiffington is 3rd team All America, yet not 2nd team Big South. G-Webb's kicker wasn't on the AA list.

2. I find it hard to believe that SBU only has 3 offensive players that make the all conference list, given that close to our entire WR corps comes back intact

3. 3 DLs...really Phil Steele? Was your research that superficial? I also don't understand how you ignored former #1 ranked NJ Cornerback Al-Majid Huggins. Guy should be an immediate playmaker.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Offense

1st TEAM

QB Mike Brown, Liberty
RB Edwin Gowins, Stony Brook
RB Patrick Hall, Gardner-Webb
WR Gerald Stevenson, Charleston Southern
WR Chris Summers, Liberty
WR James Perry III, Gardner-Webb
TE David Duran, Coastal Carolina
C Paul Fenaroli, Stony Brook
OT Justin Vargas, Liberty
OT Max Travis, Presbyterian
OG Corey O’Daniel, Gardner-Webb
OG Alex Stadler, Liberty

Defense

DL Joel Walton, Charleston So
DL Jordan Woods, Gardner-Webb
DL Asa Chapman, Liberty
DL Josh Wine, VMI
LB Marty Patterson, Gardner-Webb
LB Jeffery Williams, Gardner-Webb
LB Desmond Steward, Coastal Carolina
LB Doncel Bolt, Liberty
DB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
DB Arin West, Stony Brook
DB Marcus Lott, Coastal Carolina
DB Cedric McGowan, Gardner-Webb

Special Teams

K Matt Bevins, Liberty
P Marc Ray, VMI
RS Deon Lee, Charleston So

Full Listing (including second team): http://philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10FCSPreseasonAllConf/Big%20South%20Web%201.pdf

A few notes

1. The placing of Gates over Skiffington must be a typo.

2. The 3 DL on the second team is another glaring mistake. You have to wonder what that is all about. Anyone have good names that could go on the second team?

3. Now with some good points on his list I really like the fact that Lott was projected first team. He was hosed by the selections last year.

4. Good to see McGowan back. He is a good one.

5. Steward at CCU is a player that I heard is coming back by one person and that he won't be by another. Anyone know for sure?

kdinva
July 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM
A few notes

2. The 3 DL on the second team is another glaring mistake. You have to wonder what that is all about. Anyone have good names that could go on the second team?

Damiso Alexander, VMI, DE, R-Sr., 6'3, 250.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Damiso Alexander, VMI, DE, R-Sr., 6'3, 250.

Alexander is on the second team already. That has to be an error not having four on the DL. That does look bad.

bjtheflamesfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
It does look bad but having gone through all the other all-conference teams, the fact that the Big South only has three is probably an honest mistake in his trying to get them all done for publication. If it had happened with a few others then maybe Id see a serious problem but I'll just chalk it up to an anomaly that probably came from having to make deadline

kdinva
July 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Alexander is on the second team already. That has to be an error not having four on the DL. That does look bad.

Excuse my senior moment!

Libertine
July 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
It does look bad but having gone through all the other all-conference teams, the fact that the Big South only has three is probably an honest mistake in his trying to get them all done for publication. If it had happened with a few others then maybe Id see a serious problem but I'll just chalk it up to an anomaly that probably came from having to make deadline

If Phil didn't wait until 20 minutes before deadline and then do a frantic Google search for a stat sheet, it wouldn't be a problem. Then again, that seems to be how he does most of his FCS coverage anyway.