PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele's Preseason All-America Teams

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thought I'd post the link since it is up on their website. In fact every league is up there if you go to www.philsteele.com.

Here is the link to the All-America list.

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10FCSPreseasonAllConf/AA%20Web%201.pdf

A few notes.

1. I would put Rackley first team over Hall.

2. Robert Morris LB DiMichele was likely picked to have a rep from the NEC because other than that I don't see any reason why he would be on there. I saw him play and he is just a decent NEC player. Not an All-America caliber player. The NEC is down on All-America caliber players this year.

3. It is great to finally see Devlin showing up on All-America lists and to be honest if he had good receivers he would be first team. He is much more accurate and a better decision maker than Moses.

4. I love the Illig selection on the third team. He is relatively unknown by the media but is one heck of a player.

5. I would move Renard Williams to first team and put Clark on the second team.

6. The entire LB and OL units in FCS are very strong this year and thus there are some quality players omitted who would deserve to be on here in most years.

7. I think Joshua Philpart is a worthy player who could have easily been second or third team.

Squealofthepig
July 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Don't see any obvious omissions/oddities. The one thing that struck me is that I know next-to-nothing about David Arkin at Missouri State; have we lost all of the Bears fans on this site?

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Don't see any obvious omissions/oddities. The one thing that struck me is that I know next-to-nothing about David Arkin at Missouri State; have we lost all of the Bears fans on this site?

Arkin is a good one. I think he'll play in the NFL. Big body. Stout run blocker. Good footwork. Consistent. Has been on the NFL radar since his sophomore year.

McNeese72
July 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hmmmm, no McNeese players anywhere.

Click Here (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/suckagain.mp3)

Bogus Megapardus
July 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Stephen Skelton, Fordham
Mark Layton, Lafayette
Will Rackley, Lehigh
Jason Caldwell, Fordham
Mude Ohimor, Holy Cross
Collin Zych, Harvard

Oh, wow - those northeastern elitists really do suck after all.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'd put Donald Babers in at RB over Jonathan Grimes of W&M. I just think Babers' value to the Panthers is too much to overlook and he's only going to have a better year this year as Henry Frazier III has put more talent on that team, giving them a great chance to repeat...

Befuddled at QB. Really thought we'd see Jeremy Moses in the top three. His passing efficiency is not far behind Herrick. His interceptions are what doom him, I'd think. Of course, in the kind of offense SFA was running - it put him at a greater chance of throwing them, if you ask me. We'll see how the Jacks are able to run the ball this year. It was much improved over last season.

mikebigg
July 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Grambling's Frank Warren is seriously underrated...

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'd put Donald Babers in at RB over Jonathan Grimes of W&M. I just think Babers' value to the Panthers is too much to overlook and he's only going to have a better year this year as Henry Frazier III has put more talent on that team, giving them a great chance to repeat...

Befuddled at QB. Really thought we'd see Jeremy Moses in the top three. His passing efficiency is not far behind Herrick. His interceptions are what doom him, I'd think. Of course, in the kind of offense SFA was running - it put him at a greater chance of throwing them, if you ask me. We'll see how the Jacks are able to run the ball this year. It was much improved over last season.

Babers is more valuable to his team but as a scout he is not a better player. Grimes can do it all and he is more explosive than Babers.

Moses does not belong in the top 3. He doesn't have the arm or accuracy that Riddle has, nowhere near as good as Devlin, and Herrick is another very good QB that some are underrating. The only reason Moses has good yardage is because they throw the ball so much. I'm glad to see someone didn't fall for the big passing yards and rank him so high.

lionsrking2
July 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Babers is more valuable to his team but as a scout he is not a better player. Grimes can do it all and he is more explosive than Babers.

Moses does not belong in the top 3. He doesn't have the arm or accuracy that Riddle has, nowhere near as good as Devlin, and Herrick is another very good QB that some are underrating. The only reason Moses has good yardage is because they throw the ball so much. I'm glad to see someone didn't fall for the big passing yards and rank him so high.

No intentions here of bashing Moses, because he's plenty productive in the offense he's in, but I agree with your comments as compared to some other QBs out there...The Air Raid by nature is conducive to big QB stats and a lot of his numbers come from shovel passes, hitches, flares, and quick screens that just about anybody with a pulse can complete...that's certainly not his fault, but I do think you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt when comparing QBs statistically. I don't necessarily think it's fair to penalize him for playing in the Air Raid either, but I don't think you can make an apples to apples comparison unless you're comparing to someone in a similar offensive structure.

slostang
July 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Cal Poly's OG Will Mitchell is a four year starter and a road grader. He blocked for one of the top offenses in the FCS in 2007 and 2008. The reason I think he gets over looked is he is only 6'1". Skill wise he is one of the best in the FCS in my opinion.

LB Marty Mohamed is also a four year starter and a stud. I think he will find his way on to a few All-American teams by the end of 2010.

CB Asa Jackson was the Great West Conference Freshman player of the Year in 2008. He too may make a few AA teams by the end of 2010.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Cal Poly's OG Will Mitchell is a four year starter and a road grader. He blocked for one of the top offenses in the FCS in 2007 and 2008. The reason I think he gets over looked is he is only 6'1". Skill wise he is one of the best in the FCS in my opinion.

LB Marty Mohamed is also a four year starter and a stud. I think he will find his way on to a few All-American teams by the end of 2010.

CB Asa Jackson was the Great West Conference Freshman player of the Year in 2008. He too may make a few AA teams by the end of 2010.

I like Mohamed but a deep linebacker group is probably why he is not getting the respect you thought he might. Jackson is a young corner who I also expect to become a name this fall.

Mitchell is good and yes size is part of it. When you pick an All-America team the idea is to put together a group of players who are talented enough to produce in the FBS/production players and while he is productive I'm not sure he is more than just a good FCS offensive lineman.

Wildcat80
July 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
UNH needs to have "AA-type" performances from QB Toman, WR-Fox, LB Jackson, DB-Vasso plus others. Any one of them could be recognized at season's end.

biggie
July 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Shocked to see Devon Moore at 3rd team, should be 2nd or 1st to me (and a lot of others).

ngineer
July 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, a nice representation by the PL...and Crimson.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Shocked to see Devon Moore at 3rd team, should be 2nd or 1st to me (and a lot of others).

I figured he might have been higher but maybe Steele sees Moore as a back who flourishes because of ASU's system. Steele probably thought that what the others ahead of him had done is more impressive considering their system.

ASU had what 6 or 7 on the AA team so pretty hard to complain, unless ASU possibly has more AA caliber players than that and if so they probably should be the number one team. :)

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, a nice representation by the PL...and Crimson.

I noticed that. Much better than in previous years. The Patriot League is much more talented this year than it has been. Not a lot of NFL talent other than Rackley but plenty of AA caliber players.

FCS_Fan
July 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
It is always fun to see who emerges. They may have been injured or transfer or just has a breakout season.

UNH Fanboi
July 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I figured he might have been higher but maybe Steele sees Moore as a back who flourishes because of ASU's system. Steele probably thought that what the others ahead of him had done is more impressive considering their system.

ASU had what 6 or 7 on the AA team so pretty hard to complain, unless ASU possibly has more AA caliber players than that and if so they probably should be the number one team. :)

So is ASU gonna be good next year or what? They have by far more guys on this AA list than anyone else...More than twice Nova and Montana. Perhaps there is a little bit of big program bias in making the list...

bjtheflamesfan
July 9th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Matt Bevins is probably one of if not the best kicker in the nation right now (at least at the FCS level)

biggie
July 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
So is ASU gonna be good next year or what? They have by far more guys on this AA list than anyone else...More than twice Nova and Montana. Perhaps there is a little bit of big program bias in making the list...
App does have a ton of individual talent, just look at the numbers of the guys on the list. If our QB was proven (or if we knew for sure who it was) we would probably be higher ranked (given what others are losing). Everything goes through the QB so everyone is taking that precaution.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM

ASU has a lot of individual talent. I think how good they are this year comes down to coaching. Can they develop and groom a young quarterback this year? Can they fill in the wholes on the OL with recruits? However, which picks on the team don't belong there. Tough to say. DJ Smith and Mark LeGree are attracting major NFL interest and have been productive throughout their careers. Moore is one of the best backs in the nation and Brian Quick has flashed All-America talent. Jabari Fletcher and the Holy Cross DE are not really AA caliber players but that position was so depleted with graduations that I think they just benefit from a thin group, just as a few linebackers did on preseason lists last year when LB was so weak. ASU has always had an AA OL but if you notice they don't have anyone on the list this year, nor does anyone else, who is a real reach because the talent is so deep. I think people need to look at the overall depth at a position before saying a certain player doesn't belong. There are 4 DEs on Steele's list who clearly would not have been on there last year because of so much returning while it is likely that will be the case on the OL next year because of so many quality OL graduating such as Johnny Culbreath, Ben Ijalana, Will Rackley, Corey O'Daniel, Will Mitchell, Mark Tos, Josh Harrison, David Arkin, Pat Illig, Ryan McKnight, Mike Person, etc.

For an early look at the likely AA OL for next year. How many of these guys have most fans heard of or are even considered worthy of AA mention at this point?

C Austin Richard, North Dakota State
OG DJ Hall, Texas State
OG J.C. Oram, Weber State
OT David Pickard, Southern Illinois
OT Jeff Adams, Columbia

Most have never heard of Adams but the other four names are pretty solid. Then you get down to the likely second team and boy this list is a major drop off in terms of names and even talent with the following:

OT Tylor Chambers, Jacksonville State
OT Tom Compton, South Dakota
OG Juavahr Nathan, South Carolina State
OG Slade Adams, Tennessee Tech
C Bryan Boemer, Southern Illinois

This group is better than most believe but still nowhere near as good as this season's first and second teams.

Mr. C
July 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM

I'd have to agree that Grimes is better than Babers, though both are among the elite backs of FCS. Grimes is equally as important to the William & Mary offense as Babers is to Prairie View. I think Grimes just does everything a little better. He also has faced better competition.

Moses is a turnover machine. In this era of football, that many interceptions is just not acceptable, no matter how many times you throw the ball. When you watch film of Moses, you can't help but be struck by his bad decision-making, the way he locks in on receivers and the way he forces balls into coverage. Ironically, he has a lot of interceptions dropped. Those stats could be a lot worse. When he went up against an elite team like Montana, we saw the Grizzlies take full advantage of his mistakes. Devlin is tons better and I like how Herrick has developed. I can't believe how many people have actually put Moses on their lists.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'd have to agree that Grimes is better than Babers, though both are among the elite backs of FCS. Grimes is equally as important to the William & Mary offense as Babers is to Prairie View. I think Grimes just does everything a little better. He also has faced better competition.

Moses is a turnover machine. In this era of football, that many interceptions is just not acceptable, no matter how many times you throw the ball. When you watch film of Moses, you can't help but be struck by his bad decision-making, the way he locks in on receivers and the way he forces balls into coverage. Ironically, he has a lot of interceptions dropped. Those stats could be a lot worse. When he went up against an elite team like Montana, we saw the Grizzlies take full advantage of his mistakes. Devlin is tons better and I like how Herrick has developed. I can't believe how many people have actually put Moses on their lists.

100% AGREE MR C! xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Moses does turn it over a lot, but in his defense, he's essentially told where to throw the football before the snap...their OC (Shannon Dawson), whom I've known for a long time, was on our staff with Hal Mumme and it's the exact same offense with the same predetermined reads...when we had Martin Hankins, Hal used to tell him before each play who would be open and where to throw it...that's not to say he had to force the ball to a covered receiver and couldn't check down, but more times than not, the ball went to the predetermined receiver...that's why you'll get a few "scratch-your-head" interceptions in the Air Raid offense...on the other hand, at times it will look like the QB is going through his progression to the third or fourth option, when in fact the "third or fourth option" was the primary target to begin with.

mikebigg
July 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM

I've never seen Grimes but I have seen Babers. Though he's impressive, I think Grambling's Frank Warren is a better back. Perhaps I'm biased...wondering what do you guys think of Warren (if you've seen him play).

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've never seen Grimes but I have seen Babers. Though he's impressive, I think Grambling's Frank Warren is a better back. Perhaps I'm biased...wondering what do you guys think of Warren (if you've seen him play).

I like Warren. Lacks the body type of a NFL back but is a very good college back. Good speed. Productive player considering he splits time. I really think Grambling has one of the best rushing duos in FCS.

mikebigg
July 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I like Warren. Lacks the body type of a NFL back but is a very good college back. Good speed. Productive player considering he splits time. I really think Grambling has one of the best rushing duos in FCS.

Thanks for the reply... I like how he slips tackles. This off-season he really bulked up more, especially in the upper body and even in the thighs. For some reason his soph year he came back a bit heavy (but not muscle) and got in Coach's doghouse. This past season he was a bit lighter (from 2008) and had a good year. I'm told that this past spring he added muscle and separated himself in camp. I think Cornelius Walker is a good back also... his productivity (energy level) might have been down a bit as he
was joining Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (Reaux) which happens to be my fraternity as well.

Yes... a good combination of backs and our third runner Kenneth Baptiste (who came in the same year as them but was redshirted) also had a good camp. Baptiste is smaller and the shiftiest of the three and is really good in the slot. Some of our fans disagree with me, but I prefer the lean toward a running game...especially with the backs we have.