PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele's All-Southland Preseason Team

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Phil Steele's All-Southland Conference team, ready for the SLC fans to break down and criticize...

OFFENSE

1st TEAM
QB Jeremy Moses, Stephen F. Austin
RB Champlain Babin, McNeese St
RB Zeke Jones, SE Louisiana
WR Da’Marcus Griggs, Texas St
WR Simmie Yarborough, SE Louisiana
TE Corday Clark, McNeese St
C Mase Duge, McNeese St
OT Kevin Hughes, SE Louisiana
OT George Bias, Stephen F. Austin
OG D.J. Hall, Texas St
OG Miguel Gauthreaux, McNeese St

2ND TEAM
QB LaQuintin Caston, Nicholls St
RB Jackie Hinton, Central Arkansas
RB Brandon Johnson, Nicholls St
WR Gralyn Crawford, Stephen F. Austin
WR Willie Landers, Central Arkansas
TE Rico Moss, Central Arkansas
C Steven Kenney, Texas St
OT Taylor Johnson, McNeese St
OT Jace Prescott, Northwestern St
OG David Ward, SE Louisiana
OG Michael Booker, Northwestern St

DEFENSE

1st TEAM
DL Desmund Lighten, McNeese St
DL Markell Carter, Central Arkansas
DL Kenneth Charles, Stephen F. Austin
DL Terrance Freeman, McNeese St
LB Jabara Williams, Stephen F. Austin
LB Mark Newbill, SE Louisiana
LB Geremy Pilate, McNeese St
LB Devin Ducote, Stephen F. Austin
DB Re’Keem Wilson, SE Louisiana
DB Malcolm Bronson, McNeese St
DB Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana
DB Darrell Jenkins, McNeese St

2nd TEAM
DL Josh Ellison, McNeese St
DL Ledell Love, Northwestern St
DL Marquis Russell, Nicholls St
DL Devin Boutwell, SE Louisiana
LB Deron Minor, McNeese St
LB Will Henry, Sam Houston St
LB Ryan Godare, SE Louisiana
LB Ed James, Nicholls St
DB Seth Thomas, McNeese St
DB Cashas Pollard, Northwestern St
DB Robert Shaw, Sam Houston St
DB Bobby Felder, Nicholls St

SPECIAL TEAMS

1ST TEAM
K Eddie Carmona, Central Arkansas
P Patrick Dolan, Nicholls St
RS Phillip Harvey, Northwestern St

2ND TEAM
K Josh Lewis, McNeese St
P Drew Nelson, Stephen F. Austin
RS Melvis Pride, Sam Houston St

http://philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10FCSPreseasonAllConf/SLC%20(Southland)%20Only1.pdf

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Let's talk about this one...two biggest points.

1. The second-team quarterback (LaQuintin Caston) is not even playing quarterback this year for the Colonels (moving to WR) and I would think that Paul Harris (Northwestern State), if you were going solely on returners is a better pick.

2. There is no Karrington Bush anywhere. He was hurt in 2009, but prior to that, he was one of the top RBs in the league. I find it hilarious that Phil Steele omits any TXST running back when their program perhaps has the greatest depth at the position in the league, let alone the country with Bush (even if he is 80-85%) topping the liast. And if you do want to bust out the injury card for Bush, why is Tommy Connors listed?!!

lionsrking2
July 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Looks like a solid effort though David Ward (listed 2nd team OL) is now in medical school at LSU...glad to see he did recognize Kevin Hughes.

I personally believe Robert Alford belongs on their somewhere...IMO, he's the most talented CB in the league, and he'll be there at the end of the year if he doesn't get hurt.

I also don't think he understands how to rate punters...looks like he simply looked at gross punting average from last year and made them first and second team...when evaluating a punter, you also have to look at net yardage, balls inside the 20, number of fair catches, and punt return yardage allowed...when you look at it that way, Beau Mothe had as good a year as anybody and should at least be 2nd team IMO...I do agree with Dolan as the first team pick...has an incredible leg!!

As for comparing Connors and Bush (injuries)...Connors had a thumb injury while Bush had major knee surgery...apples and oranges in that regard, though I do think Bush at least belongs on the 2nd team, if for no other reason than to honor his past production.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Let's talk about this one...two biggest points.

1. The second-team quarterback (LaQuintin Caston) is not even playing quarterback this year for the Colonels (moving to WR) and I would think that Paul Harris (Northwestern State), if you were going solely on returners is a better pick.

2. There is no Karrington Bush anywhere. He was hurt in 2009, but prior to that, he was one of the top RBs in the league. I find it hilarious that Phil Steele omits any TXST running back when their program perhaps has the greatest depth at the position in the league, let alone the country with Bush (even if he is 80-85%) topping the liast. And if you do want to bust out the injury card for Bush, why is Tommy Connors listed?!!

Bush has been in some off field trouble so I am sure that had to do with his name being left off, plus with the injury they could be projecting that he won't have an all-conference season. If not for the injury and arrest I am 100% sure they would have listed him, or else I would completely agree on that issue.

As for Caston he was listed at QB on the Nicholls State preseason information I was given AND if Harris is the only other name of a returning QB to mention then no wonder he was left there. Possibly so the list would not be so watered down and a way to get Caston on the list despite changing positions, if that is what happens.

Other than that I think the list looks very good. It is still early and I'm sure a couple of these selections will be outdated in a month or so with players getting hurt, changing positions, etc.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Looks like a solid effort though David Ward (listed 2nd team OL) is now in medical school at LSU...glad to see he did recognize Kevin Hughes.

I personally believe Robert Alford belongs on their somewhere...IMO, he's the most talented CB in the league, and he'll be there at the end of the year if he doesn't get hurt.

I also don't think he understands how to rate punters...looks like he simply looked at gross punting average from last year and made them first and second team...when evaluating a punter, you also have to look at net yardage, balls inside the 20, number of fair catches, and punt return yardage allowed...when you look at it that way, Beau Mothe had as good a year as anybody and should at least be 2nd team IMO.

As for comparing Connors and Bush (injuries)...Connors had a thumb injury while Bush had major knee surgery...apples and oranges in that regard, though I do think Bush at least belongs on the 2nd team, if for no other reason than to honor his past production.

Bush's arrest probably hurt as well. I think most people forget about that and combining that with the knee injury there are two good reasons to feel hesitant in listing him right now.

I was asking around about players leaving and such earlier for my prospect lists I had to send to NFL teams and Ward was not a player given to me as a guy not returning. Hate to see Ward go because he was a good one but good to see him recognized for his play anyway. He had a solid year.

Had to think that Hughes would be recognized and I'm with you that Alford will likely be there in the postseason. The only problem is who do you take off? The secondary looks very solid in the SLC this year.

I'd put Emerson from UCA in Ward's spot. He is a solid guard who moves well and is consistent.

One thing to remember is that for every guy you say should be listed you have to take a name out.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Phil Steele's All-Southland Conference team, ready for the SLC fans to break down and criticize...

OFFENSE

1st TEAM
QB Jeremy Moses, Stephen F. Austin
RB Champlain Babin, McNeese St
RB Zeke Jones, SE Louisiana
WR Da’Marcus Griggs, Texas St
WR Simmie Yarborough, SE Louisiana
TE Corday Clark, McNeese St
C Mase Duge, McNeese St
OT Kevin Hughes, SE Louisiana
OT George Bias, Stephen F. Austin
OG D.J. Hall, Texas St
OG Miguel Gauthreaux, McNeese St

2ND TEAM
QB LaQuintin Caston, Nicholls St
RB Jackie Hinton, Central Arkansas
RB Brandon Johnson, Nicholls St
WR Gralyn Crawford, Stephen F. Austin
WR Willie Landers, Central Arkansas
TE Rico Moss, Central Arkansas
C Steven Kenney, Texas St
OT Taylor Johnson, McNeese St
OT Jace Prescott, Northwestern St
OG David Ward, SE Louisiana
OG Michael Booker, Northwestern St

DEFENSE

1st TEAM
DL Desmund Lighten, McNeese St
DL Markell Carter, Central Arkansas
DL Kenneth Charles, Stephen F. Austin
DL Terrance Freeman, McNeese St
LB Jabara Williams, Stephen F. Austin
LB Mark Newbill, SE Louisiana
LB Geremy Pilate, McNeese St
LB Devin Ducote, Stephen F. Austin
DB Re’Keem Wilson, SE Louisiana
DB Malcolm Bronson, McNeese St
DB Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana
DB Darrell Jenkins, McNeese St

2nd TEAM
DL Josh Ellison, McNeese St
DL Ledell Love, Northwestern St
DL Marquis Russell, Nicholls St
DL Devin Boutwell, SE Louisiana
LB Deron Minor, McNeese St
LB Will Henry, Sam Houston St
LB Ryan Godare, SE Louisiana
LB Ed James, Nicholls St
DB Seth Thomas, McNeese St
DB Cashas Pollard, Northwestern St
DB Robert Shaw, Sam Houston St
DB Bobby Felder, Nicholls St

SPECIAL TEAMS

1ST TEAM
K Eddie Carmona, Central Arkansas
P Patrick Dolan, Nicholls St
RS Phillip Harvey, Northwestern St

2ND TEAM
K Josh Lewis, McNeese St
P Drew Nelson, Stephen F. Austin
RS Melvis Pride, Sam Houston St

I thought we needed links?? I posted the SoCon Team in another thread but provided a link. Could get you a warning or points taken away for posting without a link.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Bush has been in some off field trouble so I am sure that had to do with his name being left off, plus with the injury they could be projecting that he won't have an all-conference season. If not for the injury and arrest I am 100% sure they would have listed him, or else I would completely agree on that issue.

Bush is "back and better than ever" per the San Marcos Daily Record (http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1671040944/College-Football-Bush-is-back-and-better-than-ever-for-Bobcats). Even with the issues you mentioned, I just do not see how you could slight him from at least the second team.

As for Caston he was listed at QB on the Nicholls State preseason information I was given AND if Harris is the only other name of a returning QB to mention then no wonder he was left there. Possibly so the list would not be so watered down and a way to get Caston on the list despite changing positions, if that is what happens.

The SLC's only returning starting quarterbacks are Moses and Caston. One could argue that Paul Harris was the returnee, but they split the time. Beatty (SLU) made a start or two in the absence of Babin, but not a starter. Really only have Moses and Harris when it comes down to it since it has been known for some time that Caston is moving to WR. Did Phil decide to allow transfers and/or other newcomers crack the depth chart of his other preseason teams?

Other than that I think the list looks very good. It is still early and I'm sure a couple of these selections will be outdated in a month or so with players getting hurt, changing positions, etc.

Things like this are outdated the second they are made available - especially on the national level - just like media guides! ;)

I can say the same thing for the CSN Yearbook, Sporting News Yearbook and any others.

I can agree - and that was my point!

I thought we needed links?? I posted the SoCon Team in another thread but provided a link. Could get you a warning or points taken away for posting without a link.

I apologize for not posting the link as I received an e-mail with this information. There was no indication in the e-mail of a link - but here one is.

Thanks for reminding me to revisit the subject - http://philsteele.com/Pdf/2010/10FCSPreseasonAllConf/SLC%20(Southland)%20Only1.pdf

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Bush is "back and better than ever" per the San Marcos Daily Record (http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1671040944/College-Football-Bush-is-back-and-better-than-ever-for-Bobcats). Even with the issues you mentioned, I just do not see how you could slight him from at least the second team.

The SLC's only returning starting quarterbacks are Moses and Caston. One could argue that Paul Harris was the returnee, but they split the time. Beatty (SLU) made a start or two in the absence of Babin, but not a starter. Really only have Moses and Harris when it comes down to it since it has been known for some time that Caston is moving to WR. Did Phil decide to allow transfers and/or other newcomers crack the depth chart of his other preseason teams?

To be honest I know Bush has been good in the past but look at the back selected and who do you replace him with. Yes Jones and Babin are going to be first-year full-time starters but both were very impressive when they played last year. I think they will truly be first teamers. The NSU back is likely to have big numbers due to the offense and you can bet that Hinton is going to be a breakout player this year. Even without the off field issue I think the injury is enough to drop him for these guys. Just my hunch but those backs are very good selections. You are correct that Bush deserves mention due to previous numbers but nobody is wrong in projecting that those four backs will be on the postseason list as anyone who saw these guys play will probably back me in saying that those guys are going to be key players this season.

I like that you mentioned Beatty. He is a good one. Very impressive in the game I saw him play last year throwing for over 200 yards. I think he could easily be on this list. I have Beatty on my second team and believe he will have 2,500 plus yards and 20 tds or so this year.

lionsrking2
July 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM

While Tyler Beatty wasn't a full-time starter last year, he is the only returning SLC QB to start and win a game last year (UCA), besides Moses...not necessarily arguing for him to be recognized as a pre-season 1st or 2nd team selection, but in my opinion, he's a more logical choice than Caston, and I think by year's end, he'll prove to be a better QB than Paul Harris.

Beatty 2009 Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvHnu9H6yEA

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
While Tyler Beatty wasn't a full-time starter last year, he is the only returning SLC QB to start and win a game last year (UCA), besides Moses...not necessarily arguing for him to be recognized as a pre-season 1st or 2nd team selection, but in my opinion, he's a more logical choice than Caston, and I think by year's end, he'll prove to be a better QB than Paul Harris.

I can agree with that remark...

Paul Harris should only improve this year and he's "growing" with the program. Remember when SFA was 0-11 during Moses' first year? I think we could see something similar if Bradley Dale Peveto learns how to run a program and continues to recruit student-athletes who can make an impact in this league.

To be honest I know Bush has been good in the past but look at the back selected and who do you replace him with. Yes Jones and Babin are going to be first-year full-time starters but both were very impressive when they played last year. I think they will truly be first teamers. The NSU back is likely to have big numbers due to the offense and you can bet that Hinton is going to be a breakout player this year. Even without the off field issue I think the injury is enough to drop him for these guys. Just my hunch but those backs are very good selections. You are correct that Bush deserves mention due to previous numbers but nobody is wrong in projecting that those four backs will be on the postseason list as anyone who saw these guys play will probably back me in saying that those guys are going to be key players this season.

I think Bush can replace the Nicholls RB Johnson if you are looking for someone to replace. The Nicholls' offense will be vastly different this year as they break away from the option and go more with the spread. They'll have to run the ball because they'll have some young unproven QBs (someone not named Caston) stretching their wings at the college level, potentially opening the door to some defenses targeting the run a bit more than worrying about the pass defense.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Beatty 2009 Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvHnu9H6yEA

I agree too. He is going to be there at the end of the year, at least as an honorable mention selection that is.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I can agree with that remark...

Paul Harris should only improve this year and he's "growing" with the program. Remember when SFA was 0-11 during Moses' first year? I think we could see something similar if Bradley Dale Peveto learns how to run a program and continues to recruit student-athletes who can make an impact in this league.

I think Bush can replace the Nicholls RB Johnson if you are looking for someone to replace. The Nicholls' offense will be vastly different this year as they break away from the option and go more with the spread. They'll have to run the ball because they'll have some young unproven QBs (someone not named Caston) stretching their wings at the college level, potentially opening the door to some defenses targeting the run a bit more than worrying about the pass defense.

I think folks who don't put Harris will look smart. My sources at NSU tell me that there is almost no confidence in Peveto and they already feel like they made a mistake. I guess only time will tell there.

Beatty is going to have a solid year. Nobody is going to pick him and probably shouldn't because of such a small body of work. However, when evaluating him I could easily see him being one of the top 3 QBs in the SLC this year.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I think folks who don't put Harris will look smart. My sources at NSU tell me that there is almost no confidence in Peveto and they already feel like they made a mistake. I guess only time will tell there.

I wonder what the Demon fans think of that (re: Peveto). Am enjoying this SLC conversation - thanks for helping contribute SCFBF!

Beatty is going to have a solid year. Nobody is going to pick him and probably shouldn't because of such a small body of work. However, when evaluating him I could easily see him being one of the top 3 QBs in the SLC this year.

It should not be hard for Beatty to emerge as one of the top three QBs in the Southland this year. Moses will reign supreme as long as he matches or outperforms last year, which I do not see being a challenge. Newcomers throughout the league including some FBS transfers who do not exactly have the kind of resumes we've seen in the past from the FBS level.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I wonder what the Demon fans think of that (re: Peveto). Am enjoying this SLC conversation - thanks for helping contribute SCFBF!

It should not be hard for Beatty to emerge as one of the top three QBs in the Southland this year. Moses will reign supreme as long as he matches or outperforms last year, which I do not see being a challenge. Newcomers throughout the league including some FBS transfers who do not exactly have the kind of resumes we've seen in the past from the FBS level.

Not sure on fans but I know that someone pointed out the fact that the team went 0-11, had the shutouts, and all the money lost on the Peveto promise that the AD already feels they made a mistake. Now I didn't talk to the AD so that is just hearsay but still not good to have that being the feeling from those within the football program.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Not sure on fans but I know that someone pointed out the fact that the team went 0-11, had the shutouts, and all the money lost on the Peveto promise that the AD already feels they made a mistake. Now I didn't talk to the AD so that is just hearsay but still not good to have that being the feeling from those within the football program.

The program said to the local media that only a handful of people wanted their $$$ back through the Peveto Promise. Was it a mistake to do the promotion? It's debatable. Did it sell more season tickets? It seemed like it did - though the final attendance numbers were not that indicative of such.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The program said to the local media that only a handful of people wanted their $$$ back through the Peveto Promise. Was it a mistake to do the promotion? It's debatable. Did it sell more season tickets? It seemed like it did - though the final attendance numbers were not that indicative of such.

I don't believe everything all of these schools say. Many times they are just saving face or going by the old phrase "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all". I was told by someone on the staff that they lost a lot of money on it. Maybe they are just fed up with Peveto and were exaggerating but even if that's the case it is still not good that someone is that upset with Peveto in less than one fiscal year.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Why is Jackie Hinton such a good bet to be a break out player? He only had 20 carries last year, and the most carries he had in any one game was 5. And if you look at his yards per carry average, his yards per carry would be cut in half if you take out the 1 48 yard run....

Karrington Bush on the other hand, averaged 6.5 yards per carry last year while dealing with his injured knee the whole time he was playing, he was injured on the first series of the first game.... And in 2008 he average 7.8 yards per carry on 136 carries, and 7.6 yards per carry in 2007 on 137 carries. The Karrington Bush from last year who wasn't 100% was still had better averages than anyone on the list including Zeke Jones and Champlain Babin. And if he is able to get back to his 2008 form (highly unlikely) he is hands down the best RB in the SLC.

And how Brandon Johnson and his whole 2.6 yards per carry average from last year got on the list ahead of Karrington Bush, is an absolute JOKE....

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Why is Jackie Hinton such a good bet to be a break out player? He only had 20 carries last year, and the most carries he had in any one game was 5. And if you look at his yards per carry average, his yards per carry would be cut in half if you take out the 1 48 yard run....

Karrington Bush on the other hand, averaged 6.5 yards per carry last year while dealing with his injured knee the whole time he was playing, he was injured on the first series of the first game.... And in 2008 he average 7.8 yards per carry on 136 carries, and 7.6 yards per carry in 2007 on 137 carries. The Karrington Bush from last year who wasn't 100% was still had better averages than anyone on the list including Zeke Jones and Champlain Babin. And if he is able to get back to his 2008 form (highly unlikely) he is hands down the best RB in the SLC.

And how Brandon Johnson and his whole 2.6 yards per carry average from last year got on the list ahead of Karrington Bush, is an absolute JOKE....

First on Bush you even said it is highly unlikely he gets back to 2008 form and that has to be what Steele is thinking. I am not saying I disagree with anyone on the fact Bush is an All-SLC player but I'm just saying perhaps Steele believes the injury is going to keep him from being quite as good. Only time will tell if he is right on this limb he went out on.

Hinton is a speedy, do-it all kind of guy who was in his first year transferring from Houston. That selection actually makes a lot of sense to me when you think about it. Look at the history of transfers and how their second year is usually the one where the breakout season occurs. Joe Flacco, Ryan Perrilloux, etc. and others did much better in their second year. With Grimes departed I could easily see Hinton having a big year.

As for Johnson that selection had me wondering big time. Maybe they believe he will have a big year? That is a pure projection pick as Johnson has done nothing to show he could be an all-league guy yet. Steele always has some fluky picks with many of them working out but some of them looking bad at the end of the year. He will either look like a genius with that pick or look like he just pulled his name out of thin air. It will be interesting to see what happens with that one.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
First on Bush you even said it is highly unlikely he gets back to 2008 form and that has to be what Steele is thinking. I am not saying I disagree with anyone on the fact Bush is an All-SLC player but I'm just saying perhaps Steele believes the injury is going to keep him from being quite as good. Only time will tell if he is right on this limb he went out on.

Hinton is a speedy, do-it all kind of guy who was in his first year transferring from Houston. That selection actually makes a lot of sense to me when you think about it. Look at the history of transfers and how their second year is usually the one where the breakout season occurs. Joe Flacco, Ryan Perrilloux, etc. and others did much better in their second year. With Grimes departed I could easily see Hinton having a big year.

As for Johnson that selection had me wondering big time. Maybe they believe he will have a big year? That is a pure projection pick as Johnson has done nothing to show he could be an all-league guy yet. Steele always has some fluky picks with many of them working out but some of them looking bad at the end of the year. He will either look like a genius with that pick or look like he just pulled his name out of thin air. It will be interesting to see what happens with that one.

As I said, Karrington Bush is highly unlikely to get to 2008 form, but even last years form (where he was never 100% either), is one of if not the best RB's in the SLC, and put up numbers in his limited starts to back it up....

While I personally would disagree with it, as I think Bush proved last year, that even at less than 100% he is better than Zeke Jones and maybe Champlain Babin. I could certainly understand putting Karrington Bush on the second team all SLC. But putting both Hilton (who you are guessing will have a breakout year after only getting 20 carries last year), and Johnson (who has done nothing yet to prove he deserves all conference honors) over Karrington Bush is a JOKE....

As for FBS transfers, those are always a very interesting thing. Sometimes they boom, sometimes they bust, you never really know.....

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
As I said, Karrington Bush is highly unlikely to get to 2008 form, but even last years form (where he was never 100% either), is one of if not the best RB's in the SLC, and put up numbers in his limited starts to back it up....

While I personally would disagree with it, as I think Bush proved last year, that even at less than 100% he is better than Zeke Jones and maybe Champlain Babin. I could certainly understand putting Karrington Bush on the second team all SLC. But putting both Hilton (who you are guessing will have a breakout year after only getting 20 carries last year), and Johnson (who has done nothing yet to prove he deserves all conference honors) over Karrington Bush is a JOKE....

As for FBS transfers, those are always a very interesting thing. Sometimes they boom, sometimes they bust, you never really know.....

On Babin and Jones those are good picks. I have seen them and firmly believe they will be very good this year.

As I said before Steele always has some picks that look crazy that we all know are crazy and prove to be such as Hofstra last year. Then he always has some selections that we question but turn out to make him look really smart. He likes to go out on a limb and you have to respect the fact he is clearly willing to with the selection of Johnson. It just happens to look really stupid right now. I guess only time will tell but yes I probably would have put Bush on there ahead of him. It will be interesting to see what Bush does this year.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
On Babin and Jones those are good picks. I have seen them and firmly believe they will be very good this year.

As I said before Steele always has some picks that look crazy that we all know are crazy and prove to be such as Hofstra last year. Then he always has some selections that we question but turn out to make him look really smart. He likes to go out on a limb and you have to respect the fact he is clearly willing to with the selection of Johnson. It just happens to look really stupid right now. I guess only time will tell but yes I probably would have put Bush on there ahead of him. It will be interesting to see what Bush does this year.

I am not saying that those are not good picks, both have proven to be very good RB's.....

Having seen Bush play at less that 100% last year, I personally feel that even at less than 100%, he is better than Jones and Babin... But, that is certainly not a clear cut answer, as both are very good RB's...... While I would have put the first team RB's as Bush and Babin, I have no problem with going with Jones and Babin given Bush's injury.... But even going with Hinton over Bush for the second string RB selection is very questionable and takes guts. As Karrington Bush is a proven commodity, in three year, with one of those years us being able to see him at less than 100%... But selecting Johnson over Bush for the other 2nd string RB position is just flat funny....

Why do you have to respect him for going out on a limb? Since when do you have to respect stupid selects, that have nothing to back them up?

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks sm_bobcat for joining in with the questioning of Phil Steele's picks. There's no question that he is more "national" and does not particularly follow the Southland Conference, let alone FCS.

I really think that this compilation was done by pulling out the statistics - SLC and national - and figuring out who was returning and just throwing it out there. How else would Steele list Hinton and throw in Caston at QB? Of course, looks like Steele missed out on Bush's return and if SmallCollegeFBFan is any indication since he does help out the good people at Steele - potentially blew up the consequences of his off the field issues (as supported by CatMom - one of the times we have agreed!).

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks sm_bobcat for joining in with the questioning of Phil Steele's picks. There's no question that he is more "national" and does not particularly follow the Southland Conference, let alone FCS.

I really think that this compilation was done by pulling out the statistics - SLC and national - and figuring out who was returning and just throwing it out there. How else would Steele list Hinton and throw in Caston at QB? Of course, looks like Steele missed out on Bush's return and if SmallCollegeFBFan is any indication since he does help out the good people at Steele - potentially blew up the consequences of his off the field issues (as supported by CatMom - one of the times we have agreed!).

I would agree... Looking at who he listed it doesn't look like any REAL research was done and just chose the guys with the best stats, and he just missed out on Karrington Bush being back this year....

TT, I will post my answer on here as well for the second team all SLC QB:
Of the returning QB's, I think that is a difficult one to call. If I had to choose one, I would probally put Paul Harris, although Tyler Beatty could also make an arguement as he did have the one great game against UCA.

I do think though that Tyler Beatty is getting to much recognition for his great game against UCA. But they are forgetting about the back to back games against Northwestern State where he went 3 for 13, and then against SFA where he went 5 for 19.....

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I would agree... Looking at who he listed it doesn't look like any REAL research was done and just chose the guys with the best stats, and he just missed out on Karrington Bush being back this year....

You just can't count on 'actual' or as you put it - 'real' research - to be done. This is FCS and as much as we love any additional coverage for FCS, the folks at Phil Steele only cover it once a year - in an effort to sell magazines to a niche market that does not get coverage. More power to them and their efforts in making the almighty dollar.

Of the returning QB's, I think that is a difficult one to call. If I had to choose one, I would probally put Paul Harris, although Tyler Beatty could also make an arguement as he did have the one great game against UCA.

I do think though that Tyler Beatty is getting to much recognition for his great game against UCA. But they are forgetting about the back to back games against Northwestern State where he went 3 for 13, and then against SFA where he went 5 for 19.....

I'd agree with you. Paul Harris wins out though the SLU QB does have that marquee victory.

SM_Bobcat
July 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM
You just can't count on 'actual' or as you put it - 'real' research - to be done. This is FCS and as much as we love any additional coverage for FCS, the folks at Phil Steele only cover it once a year - in an effort to sell magazines to a niche market that does not get coverage. More power to them and their efforts in making the almighty dollar.

I'd agree with you. Paul Harris wins out though the SLU QB does have that marquee victory.

I would agree completely....

For SmallCollegeFBFan, to act like it is well researched select, and that he deserves respect for choosing very questionable picks (Brandon Johnson and LaQuintin Caston) because he was willing to do it, is what I have a problem with......

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I am not saying that those are not good picks, both have proven to be very good RB's.....

Having seen Bush play at less that 100% last year, I personally feel that even at less than 100%, he is better than Jones and Babin... But, that is certainly not a clear cut answer, as both are very good RB's...... While I would have put the first team RB's as Bush and Babin, I have no problem with going with Jones and Babin given Bush's injury.... But even going with Hinton over Bush for the second string RB selection is very questionable and takes guts. As Karrington Bush is a proven commodity, in three year, with one of those years us being able to see him at less than 100%... But selecting Johnson over Bush for the other 2nd string RB position is just flat funny....

Why do you have to respect him for going out on a limb? Since when do you have to respect stupid selects, that have nothing to back them up?

The Johnson pick is funny I'll admit. Although I'm sure Nicholls State loves the pick LOL.

The reason I have respect for someone like Steele is because his picks have been the most accurate of anyone at the FBS level for 12 years running and he is using many of the same philosophies for his FCS picks as he does with FBS. For his first couple of years he is going to have some funny looking picks but I'm sure as he follows it more and more you will see the accuracy improve.

I first found his magazines back in 1999 or 2000 and NOBODY I knew even knew who he was but now all the major media outlets, NFL teams, draft websites, etc. all receive and read his information because it has been accurate. I'm willing to wait it out a few years before saying he is an idiot to let him get his feet wet in FCS. Did you see his FBS mag and notice how many FCS players he rated in it? He is the ONLY major media outlet to rate FCS players among all the FBS players so I respect that. I am also glad when others are lessening their FCS coverage he is expanding it. Those are both good things.

CSN is proven to give good coverage to FCS and they have had some very weird picks on their preseason All-America teams before but I think most people have given them the benefit of the doubt that they might know something others don't. Perhaps Steele knows something we do not know? I'm just saying that let's give him time. I have yet to see another magazine willing to pick all-conference teams for every league so at least he is showing the willingness to do it. I say that those who are casting stones should put out a publication and see just how much their selections are picked apart. The Sports Network, CSN, Sporting News, Lindy's, and Steele have all had some funny stuff in their preseason picks and so did CDS and any others who have done them. If his picks are really stupid here in 2 or 3 years then I will say it is time for him to move on and stop covering FCS but it has gotten better every year and hopefully it continues to do so.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I would agree completely....

For SmallCollegeFBFan, to act like it is well researched select, and that he deserves respect for choosing very questionable picks (Brandon Johnson and LaQuintin Caston) because he was willing to do it, is what I have a problem with......

I'm not saying it is well researched. Those words were never typed by myself. All I am saying is that maybe he knows something, maybe he doesn't. Only time will tell.

TexasTerror is more of a homer than anyone. I am friends with some of the folks at Phil Steele but you have seen me question many of their picks and point out both the good and bad while TT seems to only focus on the bad. He works for CSN and he will never point out any of the bad on CSN. Don't make me pull out the preseason All-America teams by CSN last year and compare them to Phil Steele or TSN. CSN had some very funny looking picks such as Josh Samuda from UMASS and a few others who could not even scratch the All-CAA third team.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Perhaps Steele knows something we do not know?

That the schools themselves (coaches and SIDs alike) and the fans of those schools do not? It's just perplexing when his selections do not even match up with the depth charts of the schools. A few things may bounce his way - but I doubt you would find coaches in the SLC that slot Karrington Bush lower than the fourth-best RB in the league and believe that a wide receiver (as listed on the depth chart nonetheless) is more deserving of second-team SLC preseason QB when he is not even playing the position and there's at least one, if not two viable other picks!

I say that those who are casting stones should put out a publication and see just how much their selections are picked apart. The Sports Network, CSN, Sporting News, Lindy's, and Steele have all had some funny stuff in their preseason picks and so did CDS and any others who have done them. If his picks are really stupid here in 2 or 3 years then I will say it is time for him to move on and stop covering FCS but it has gotten better every year and hopefully it continues to do so.

I've said and done a lot of things for public that have been ripped apart. Not afraid to do it, but at least I have a better ear to the ground about what I am speaking, writing about. You won't see me previewing the Ivy League anytime soon! Or the Big East for that matter!

TexasTerror is more of a homer than anyone. I am friends with some of the folks at Phil Steele but you have seen me question many of their picks and point out both the good and bad while TT seems to only focus on the bad. He works for CSN and he will never point out any of the bad on CSN. Don't make me pull out the preseason All-America teams by CSN last year and compare them to Phil Steele or TSN. CSN had some very funny looking picks such as Josh Samuda from UMASS and a few others who could not even scratch the All-CAA third team.

Outside of a few writers who are willing to push a few buttons, CSN is more of a preview/analysis bit. The writers are well versed in their specific conferences and it's tough to criticize. I can criticize a few of their selections in weekly picks (and we all do each week) and I can also assure you that CSN informs it's writers to think outside of the box for players who can make an impact.

I'm sure those who follow the leagues of those players could tell you that they would expect or can see why XYZ would make an impact. Steele is pulling oranges out of the apple bin at times! It just doesn't make sense...but I guess we'll wait and see. I'm also curious to see how is Georgia State and Lamar picks make out... LOL!

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I can see you need a couple of facts here TT.

1. If Steele is such a joke then how come the top media outlet covering FCS, CSN that is, has made numerous attempts to join forces with Steele?

2. You say they just do it to make the almighty dollar. If Steele was making any money on the FCS content they would have already expanded to an FCS only magazine. They are still tucking it in the other regional magazines because the FCS content is not making any money. They are purely attempting to put out a FCS preview because Steele recognizes there is talent at this level and wants to honor it. He proves that with the fact he has gone out on a limb and put FCS, D2, and D3 players in his positional ratings while many in the FBS laugh at that but will stop once they see those exact names on NFL rosters.

3. You spend all of your time on here promoting CSN and questions others yet if someone else questions CSN they are an idiot. You are not perfect and neither is CSN, Phil Steele, Lindy's, or anyone else. Why can't you for once just be glad someone is trying to promote and cover FCS instead of demeaning it? You pulled the same crap with Con Draft when they released their selections and everyone else. You say you want FCS to get promoted and coverage but all you really want is for CSN to crush everyone else and have a monopoly on it. I got news for you pal that will never happen because some of these outlets have too much money for CSN to squeeze them out.

I like you TT. I hate to be tough on you but someone has to spit out some facts here and keep you on your toes. Others keep me on my toes and I like it. You seem to take offense to it and think you are just smarter than everyone else. You welcome questioning of Steele and everyone else but let's see how you like it when CSN comes out and folks on here are questioning some of those picks.

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Tyler Beatty hasn't gotten any recognition for his great game against UCA, other than a couple of posts by me and one or two by SmallCollegeFan...I haven't seen his name on any pre-season lists...I raised the issue because he's the only returning QB in the league, besides Jeremy Moses, to start and win a football game last year, and he did get a decent amount of playing time on the season...and you can say he gets "too much credit" for that game all you want, but he was as good or better than any QB in the league on that day, and has as good a physical tools as anybody...the only really bad game he had (and it was bad!) was SFA and that was pretty much a team-wide effort that day...he did come in against NW State in a backup role and statistically wasn't good, but had five or six catchable balls that were dropped, threw a couple away and missed on a couple of deep balls...he actually threw the ball well in that game, just not much to show for it.

I'm not arguing that he "should" be on any pre-season list, but I do think he's the most physically talented QB returning and now that he can go through a full season getting 1st team reps, he has a good chance to show up on these lists at the end of the season, when it really counts...we shall see of course.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
1. If Steele is such a joke then how come the top media outlet covering FCS, CSN that is, has made numerous attempts to join forces with Steele?

Never said CSN was the 'top media outlet' covering FCS.

2. You say they just do it to make the almighty dollar. If Steele was making any money on the FCS content they would have already expanded to an FCS only magazine. They are still tucking it in the other regional magazines because the FCS content is not making any money. They are purely attempting to put out a FCS preview because Steele recognizes there is talent at this level and wants to honor it. He proves that with the fact he has gone out on a limb and put FCS, D2, and D3 players in his positional ratings while many in the FBS laugh at that but will stop once they see those exact names on NFL rosters.

The almighty dollar keeps these magazines afloat. There's not much coverage for anything but FBS. The fact he includes them show he is willing to reach out to a niche market and the fact he includes them in the rankings shows that he understands the talent at this level. Won't question that.

3. You spend all of your time on here promoting CSN and questions others yet if someone else questions CSN they are an idiot. You are not perfect and neither is CSN, Phil Steele, Lindy's, or anyone else. Why can't you for once just be glad someone is trying to promote and cover FCS instead of demeaning it? You pulled the same crap with Con Draft when they released their selections and everyone else. You say you want FCS to get promoted and coverage but all you really want is for CSN to crush everyone else and have a monopoly on it. I got news for you pal that will never happen because some of these outlets have too much money for CSN to squeeze them out.

I am for whomever else is promoting, covering FCS. I even enjoy the laughter and discussion we get annually when Pistol Pete pulls out his weekly rankings. If anything - Steele's FCS coverage (or lack their of) generates conversation pieces here and that's a great thing, since this is the best community for FCS discussion on the Internet. The more - the merrier!

I like you TT. I hate to be tough on you but someone has to spit out some facts here and keep you on your toes. Others keep me on my toes and I like it. You seem to take offense to it and think you are just smarter than everyone else. You welcome questioning of Steele and everyone else but let's see how you like it when CSN comes out and folks on here are questioning some of those picks.

Not smarter than everyone else. If I was, I wouldn't be learning from others on here on a constant basis. The folks at SLU, TXST, McN and NWST know a thing or two, which I've gathered. Learn from others like LFN and the great Jafus! We're all giving and taking from each other. I do not think there is one supreme being in the FCS world and those who think SyntaxError thinks he is one is fooling themselves - because he talks to everyone he knows to learn (whether it Coulson, Burton or whomever).

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Never said CSN was the 'top media outlet' covering FCS.

The almighty dollar keeps these magazines afloat. There's not much coverage for anything but FBS. The fact he includes them show he is willing to reach out to a niche market and the fact he includes them in the rankings shows that he understands the talent at this level. Won't question that.

I am for whomever else is promoting, covering FCS. I even enjoy the laughter and discussion we get annually when Pistol Pete pulls out his weekly rankings. If anything - Steele's FCS coverage (or lack their of) generates conversation pieces here and that's a great thing, since this is the best community for FCS discussion on the Internet. The more - the merrier!

Not smarter than everyone else. If I was, I wouldn't be learning from others on here on a constant basis. The folks at SLU, TXST, McN and NWST know a thing or two, which I've gathered. Learn from others like LFN and the great Jafus! We're all giving and taking from each other. I do not think there is one supreme being in the FCS world and those who think SyntaxError thinks he is one is fooling themselves - because he talks to everyone he knows to learn (whether it Coulson, Burton or whomever).

Well some folks at CSN have said they believe they are and you are guilty by association unless you publicly call someone out who makes that claim.

Yes we are all learning. None of us knows everything. I remember when I posted blurbs before the draft last year and Coulson even said he had never heard of Otis Hudson and was shocked when he was taken in the draft. Coulson is one of the most knowledgeable FCS writers out there and he admitted to learning something from me that day. Coulson has taught me a lot on baseball and how it works and I have even learned from his experiences. We are all learning. I'm just saying that you have come off as a know it all to folks on here and I think instead of taking jabs at other outlets it would be nice to hear you say something good about them. We need more and more folks covering FCS.

bjtheflamesfan
July 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Think you could take the potentially OT stuff to PMs guys?

jhanel
July 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Garbage, that is just your guess and using I know someone, is also a joke. I have spoken to the players, coaches, alumni, and admin.; what you pulled out of thin air is just you trying to act like you know something. What you stated is pure false! I hope every team thinks like you do! It will make the victories much more enjoyable!

Fork'em Demons,

Jeff Hanel

P.S. Thinking of NSU Football winning THE 2010 SLC/FCS Championships! Slamming it into all the Haters Faces!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhZ52vVK-I

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Garbage, that is just your guess and using I know someone, is also a joke. I have spoken to the players, coaches, alumni, and admin.; what you pulled out of thin air is just you trying to act like you know something. What you stated is pure false! I hope every team thinks like you do! It will make the victories much more enjoyable!

Fork'em Demons,

Jeff Hanel

P.S. Thinking of NSU Football winning THE 2010 SLC/FCS Championships! Slamming it into all the Haters Faces!!!

No I actually know someone. Believe it or not this person came in with Peveto and this person said he is a great guy and he knows football. Even went on to tell me that he is a good position coach but does not do a good job of running a team as head coach. I really trust this person. They are sharp and even well connected in the NFL. I assure you I would never use that "I know someone" unless I actually do.

jhanel
July 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Well then I know him too, he just has not told me....hmm

Jeff Hanel

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Well then I know him too, he just has not told me....hmm

Jeff Hanel

You might know him. I know a lot of what I was told by this person and one other was told off the record and I would never get them in trouble by telling who they are. Only time will tell. Of course it was not hard to believe when you look at not only the fact that you guys went 0-11 but how you lost some of the games and the fact that you have done so well in recruiting in the Rivals rankings but have not been able to improve at all. From an outsider it honestly did look like coaching was more of a problem than the players.

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
You might know him. I know a lot of what I was told by this person and one other was told off the record and I would never get them in trouble by telling who they are. Only time will tell. Of course it was not hard to believe when you look at not only the fact that you guys went 0-11 but how you lost some of the games and the fact that you have done so well in recruiting in the Rivals rankings but have not been able to improve at all. From an outsider it honestly did look like coaching was more of a problem than the players.

I hope you don't mind me giving you some unsolicited advice?

If someone on a coaching staff, or close to a coaching staff, gives you inside scoop that is considered "off-the-record," my advice would be to keep it that way, unless it's couched in the vaguest of terms. It doesn't take much detective work to track down a source among a finite group of individuals. If they give you info on condition of anonymity, that's one thing, but general "locker room" talk that is meant to stay there should, if requested...just my opinion.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I hope you don't mind me giving you some unsolicited advice?

If someone on a coaching staff, or close to a coaching staff, gives you inside scoop that is considered "off-the-record," my advice would be to keep it that way, unless it's couched in the vaguest of terms. It doesn't take much detective work to track down a source among a finite group of individuals. If they give you info on condition of anonymity, that's one thing, but general "locker room" talk that is meant to stay there should, if requested...just my opinion.

I said this person was on the staff as in NSU staff. Did not say if he was a coach or not. This person spoke on anonymity and just said please don't tell they said it. They just didn't want it known they said it. It sounded to me that they wanted people to know what was really going on but just didn't want anyone to know they said it.

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I said this person was on the staff as in NSU staff. Did not say if he was a coach or not. This person spoke on anonymity and just said please don't tell they said it. They just didn't want it known they said it. It sounded to me that they wanted people to know what was really going on but just didn't want anyone to know they said it.

Fair enough...my understanding of "off the record" is not for public consumption in any form...sounds like your source wanted it out in the public then. Not sure I would if I were the source, but then again, I'm not him.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Fair enough...my understanding of "off the record" is not for public consumption in any form...sounds like your source wanted it out in the public then. Not sure I would if I were the source, but then again, I'm not him.

Not what he wanted it out in public as much as he figured it would get it and seemed to only stress not to tell who he is. I firmly believe him. Like I said he thinks Peveto is a very good position coach and even coordinator but believes he is not meant to be a head coach. Although he did say the Peveto Promise was a failure and he felt as though they had more talent than their record indicated. Said the OL was a big fault though and even with a great head coach would probably be a 4-5 win team. He knew they still have a long way to go before they become relevant. I was told that if Jace Prescott and Michael Booker don't get healthy by the season that they are so depleted on the OL that it would be a long season without them.

NSUDemon98
July 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM

I think you may need to have your sources have their sources checked...only a few people asked for their money back. The vibe I hear is that everyone really likes Peveto and that the verdict is still out on his coaching ability...and that comes from a Dept. Head at NSU who has been living in town since 1983 and knows just about everyone there is to know.

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I think you may need to have your sources have their sources checked...only a few people asked for their money back. The vibe I hear is that everyone really likes Peveto and that the verdict is still out on his coaching ability...and that comes from a Dept. Head at NSU who has been living in town since 1983 and knows just about everyone there is to know.

Interesting that NSU fans are happy with him. Hopefully you are. I certainly don't want anyone thinking I hope this does not pan out. Now I never heard anyone did not like him as a person. Only that he probably isn't a good head coach.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Interesting that NSU fans are happy with him. Hopefully you are. I certainly don't want anyone thinking I hope this does not pan out. Now I never heard anyone did not like him as a person. Only that he probably isn't a good head coach.

He has only had one year...

I think NSU fans had higher expectations than 0-11, but Peveto has completely revamped things in Natchitoches. Hard to judge a coach on one season, even one as disastrous as the record of 0-11. Peveto will be judged a bit more this year, but year three is probably when there needs to be noticeable improvement - just like any other coach who is reconstructing a program...

NSUDemon98
July 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I do know, and JHanel can elaborate more than I can, that halfway though the season a lot of upperclassmen stopped playing to their potential. They didn't like the feel good, motivational speeches of Peveto and were use to the cursing and fire and brim stone of Stoker...and once it was clear that there would be no winning record or even playoffs for that matter, a lot of seniors stopped playing like they should.

NSUDemon98
July 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Realistically, we should have probably went 3-8 last year. I am not going to lie...poor coaching decisions led to some of our losses...but even Urban Meyer would have struggled with the Oline we had to piece together. And then the other part was just plain bad luck...some of the worst I have seen...and I saw 4 games with my own eyes.

In fact, here's the slogan that pretty much sums up the 2009 season... "Northwestern State University Demon Football...Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory"

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Apparently the Northwestern State fans and administration (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/99005504.html?index=14&c=y) are optimistic moving forward with Peveto...

Saw on Fork'em Demons that they were criticizing SmallCollegeFBFan's remarks pertaining to Peveto...

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Apparently the Northwestern State fans and administration (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/99005504.html?index=14&c=y) are optimistic moving forward with Peveto...

Saw on Fork'em Demons that they were criticizing SmallCollegeFBFan's remarks pertaining to Peveto...

You just can't let it go can you? I only said what someone inside the program told me. Based on how thigns look from the outside their comments seemed fair. They have injuries on the OL. They were awful last year. Not just losing but getting shut out. Looking poorly coached at times. I just said what I was told and that from what I have seen I could see them being upset. I hope Peveto pans out. I have nothing against him. I just know the person who told me is very well connected and very very smart. They would not make it up and they have high standards. They are a good person and someone who I firmly believe is good at what they do.

You can't expect fans to give up so early. Of course they are optimistic. Everyone thinks their coach is great and will turn things around at first. Most of the time fans are truly uncertain at what will happen but are outwardly optimistic and upbeat. You can't go into something with a bad attitude or else you are doomed to fail. You can't always take things at face value. If you only knew how many times a coach spoke knowing what he was saying was false but saying it to give fans hope you would be shocked.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
You just can't let it go can you? I only said what someone inside the program told me. Based on how thigns look from the outside their comments seemed fair. They have injuries on the OL. They were awful last year. Not just losing but getting shut out. Looking poorly coached at times. I just said what I was told and that from what I have seen I could see them being upset. I hope Peveto pans out. I have nothing against him. I just know the person who told me is very well connected and very very smart. They would not make it up and they have high standards. They are a good person and someone who I firmly believe is good at what they do.

Inside the program? Should we not believe the official athletic director of Northwestern State?

In the Advocate article, "Burke cited a postseason survey with the players in which 79 of 85 rated the first-year coaching staff as either very good or excellent. He also pointed to Peveto’s first two recruiting classes, which were both rated in the top four nationally in FCS."

That's a pretty glowing review. There's always going to be a small sect that does not agree, but considering how this was a new staff, these numbers are VERY remarkable in my opinion. Wonder what the SHSU players would've rated Todd Whitten! ;)

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Inside the program? Should we not believe the official athletic director of Northwestern State?

In the Advocate article, "Burke cited a postseason survey with the players in which 79 of 85 rated the first-year coaching staff as either very good or excellent. He also pointed to Peveto’s first two recruiting classes, which were both rated in the top four nationally in FCS."

That's a pretty glowing review. There's always going to be a small sect that does not agree, but considering how this was a new staff, these numbers are VERY remarkable in my opinion. Wonder what the SHSU players would've rated Todd Whitten! ;)

People in a program disagree all of the time. Those are good numbers we will see.

As for the recruiting classes. It takes a real idiot to believe any of that Rivals crap on FCS. They have stated on there many times that if a player commits to a FBS program and has no stars they evaluate him but if he goes to a FCS program they don't. The only reason a player going to FCS has stars for the most part is because he had FBS interest at some point. For example, Mark LeGree is a two-time candidate for the Nagurski Award and a two-time Buck Buchanan Finalist but he was only offered by ASU coming out and thus was never given stars. Armanti Edwards did not have any stars either. I don't think Andre Roberts, Vlad Duccasse, etc. even had stars either. My point is that the top rated recruiting classes are a joke of a reason because those rankings are not really legitimate of FCS players because they don't rate players unless the FBS shows interest in them or unless in the summer before the season they believe FBS schools will show interest in them.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
People in a program disagree all of the time. Those are good numbers we will see.

Seems like the players and athletic director would mean a lot to whether a head coach is a good one or not...correct? Especially when they are players on the official roster and are an athletic director officially employed by the school...

As for the recruiting classes. It takes a real idiot to believe any of that Rivals crap on FCS. They have stated on there many times that if a player commits to a FBS program and has no stars they evaluate him but if he goes to a FCS program they don't. The only reason a player going to FCS has stars for the most part is because he had FBS interest at some point. For example, Mark LeGree is a two-time candidate for the Nagurski Award and a two-time Buck Buchanan Finalist but he was only offered by ASU coming out and thus was never given stars. Armanti Edwards did not have any stars either. I don't think Andre Roberts, Vlad Duccasse, etc. even had stars either. My point is that the top rated recruiting classes are a joke of a reason because those rankings are not really legitimate of FCS players because they don't rate players unless the FBS shows interest in them or unless in the summer before the season they believe FBS schools will show interest in them.

I agree with your assessment of the Rivals rankings of FCS classes. It's a complete joke, but you've got to give credit to NWST as always. They do tout whatever positives are out there for their program (as they should), even if it means when some no-named soccer web site clamoured that their team was in their soccer NCAA bracketology as the before last team in after a few meaningless wins gave them an undefeated mark early in the soccer season.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Seems like the players and athletic director would mean a lot to whether a head coach is a good one or not...correct? Especially when they are players on the official roster and are an athletic director officially employed by the school...

I agree with your assessment of the Rivals rankings of FCS classes. It's a complete joke, but you've got to give credit to NWST as always. They do tout whatever positives are out there for their program (as they should), even if it means when some no-named soccer web site clamoured that their team was in their soccer NCAA bracketology as the before last team in after a few meaningless wins gave them an undefeated mark early in the soccer season.

Not my opinion on the recruiting classes. It is a FACT! Here is can prove it is not a theory but a complete fact.

Go back to the 2007 class. Find the top 10 rated players who signed with FCS programs coming out of high school and then tell me where those players are now. Then look up the rankings of the following players.

WR Matt Szczur, Villanova- '09 AA, NC MVP- No stars
OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova- 2-time All-CAA, 09 AA- No stars
RB Deji Karim, SIU- Payton Finalist, 09 AA, 6th round draft pick- No stars
CB Korey Lindsey, SIU- 2-time AA- low 2-stars
FS Mark LeGree, App- 2 time AA- No stars
LB DJ Smith, App- 2 time AA- No stars
DE Christian Anthony- '09 AA, future draft picks- '06 class- No stars
OT Will Rackley, Lehigh- likely draft pick, 2-time All-Patriot League- not listed
RB Chase Reynolds, Montana- 2-time All-BSC, 09 AA- Not listed

I can keep going forever on this but you get my point. Lindsey was the only one even close but to be honest still not that close. Low 2-star and he is a likely mid-late round draft pick meaning he should have been a high 3 or low 4 star. Look at the stars as matching up the draft. 5-star are first rounders and early second rounders. 4-star guys are 2nd-7th round while 3-star guys are borderline draftable and priority free agent types. With that said they should have had 15-20 FCS players with a 4-star rating and I think they had 1, if that, and it was the wrong one.

Obviously the top players who sign with FCS are complete unknowns to Rivals, for the most part. There are always a couple they hit on but not many when it comes to the All-America players. It really isn't even close.