PDA

View Full Version : DSU will not be welcoming SU’s newest Kicker

bluedog
July 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Even though Southern and Delaware State don’t meet until Sept. 5, at the MEAC/SWAC Challenge, Stump Mitchell has already won his first battle with the Hornets.

Delaware State, as well as North Alabama’s Terry Bowden had offered a scholarship to William Griswold, Florida’s #1 ranked kicker/punter by ProKicker.com. Trips to Southern, DSU and NAU had been scheduled for Griswold. Southern was scheduled first because they had the Engineering program William was seeking (Delaware State and North Alabama do not).

Griswold is very active in his faith and youth ministry. He discovered Coach Mitchell also had a strong Christian background and that he didn’t believe in cursing. William found that although Coach Mitchell was a man of few words, he meant what he said. William sensed the entire coaching staff also felt that the head coach’s word was the law.

Upon returning home to Florida, Griswold told his parents that he believed Coach Mitchell was everything he wanted in a coach. He decided to cancel the other college visits.

However, when Griswold called Delaware State (which still lists no kicker or punter anywhere on their roster) to say he was going to Southern, an assistant coach from Delaware State demanded he explain to him how he could possibly pick Southern over DSU. “After all,” he replied, “Delaware is a northeastern college!”

William explained Southern offered degrees in Engineering and Delaware did not. To which the DSU coach immediately boasted, “Besides that!”

The experience convinced William that he was glad he chose to play for Coach Mitchell and help Jaguar Nation get back to where it once was.
xreadx

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Coaches need to realize that academics play a HUGE part in a perspective student-athlete's decision making process. Sure, some may think they are going to play at the next level, but you guys have seen that commercial. XXXXXX NCAA student-athletes have a 'professional career' in something other than sports.

If a student-athlete (or any student for that matter) is set on a certain major, that is going to weigh heavy. Good job to Southern on landing the recruit and apparently, understanding more so than DelSt's coaches the importance of academics.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Coaches need to realize that academics play a HUGE part in a perspective student-athlete's decision making process. Sure, some may think they are going to play at the next level, but you guys have seen that commercial. XXXXXX NCAA student-athletes have a 'professional career' in something other than sports.

If a student-athlete (or any student for that matter) is set on a certain major, that is going to weigh heavy. Good job to Southern on landing the recruit and apparently, understanding more so than DelSt's coaches the importance of academics.

You do know why the NCAA made that commercial right?

They have to do whatever it takes to appeal to these high school kids that "Look son! 99.354% of you will never see not one check from the NFL, NBA, WNBA, NHL, MLS with your name on it saying made payable to."

They are trying to sell "reality" to these kids who have an unrealist sense of one.

You're right! Coaches need to realize that academics play a large role in a prospective kids decision making process but three fourths of those coaches will lie and say momma's chicken and dumplings is the best chicken and dumplings they have ever eaten. Don't let mom be a single mother!!! If that's the case then it's a done deal with many coaches! If a coach can find any advantage over another school they will make it happen and academics doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Sure, they'll bring up the School of Business that's ranked by US News and World Report's April edition or in the latest Princeton Review but that coach is thinking of signing you at all cost and will lie, cheat, steal and wink to get you and your mom to sign that LOI. But will also promise he's the best person to get you to the NFL because of his experience and throw some names out there to give you that "warm and fuzzy feeling".

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Interesting... this kid decided to attend a school whose conference doesn't participate in the playoffs!

3rd Coast Tiger
July 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Interesting... this kid decided to attend a school whose conference doesn't participate in the playoffs!

He can't know mike.

bjtheflamesfan
July 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM
mike...we know that the SWAC doesnt send a team to the FCS playoffs but that obviously had zero bearing on the kid's decision. Now why dont you just keep things at least somewhat germane to the topic at hand.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
He can't know mike.

This kid was not swayed by meaningless arguments by some that the SWAC's recruiting had slipped in comparison to the MEAC and other conferences.
I'm sure the national exposure that SU gets with the highly popular Bayou Classic as well as SU's academic reputation in the field of Engineering more than
offset the attempt by Del State to use negative recruiting. Lots of kids see the Bayou Classic as a huge game...in fact it is arguably the most watched
FCS division game in college football.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
mike...we know that the SWAC doesnt send a team to the FCS playoffs but that obviously had zero bearing on the kid's decision. Now why dont you just keep things at least somewhat germane to the topic at hand.

Not a problem...however, please monitor those other comments that assert that the SWAC's non playoff participation has hurt in our recruiting against the MEAC. Perhaps you weren't a mod then and missed it...

superman7515
July 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I find the assistant coaches response hysterical.

superman7515
July 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Lots of kids see the Bayou Classic as a huge game...in fact it is arguably the most watched
FCS division game in college football.

Most watched in live attendance or including tv sets?

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Most watched in live attendance or including tv sets?

Possibly both...how about we just say "total attendance".

bjtheflamesfan
July 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Not a problem...however, please monitor those other comments that assert that the SWAC's non playoff participation has hurt in our recruiting against the MEAC. Perhaps you weren't a mod then and missed it...

I will note that for future reference...as long as things dont get personal

superman7515
July 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Just curious of which you spoke. I found an old New York Times article saying that the 1992 game was going to be broadcast on NBC and that the Bayou Classic in 1991 had an attendance of 70,000 to the Superdome to see 7-3 Grambling against 4-6 Southern.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks... perhaps I have gone overboard, however I tend to take putdowns on my school and conference as personal. However, I will respect the rules of this Board and try not to mess things up for others.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Just curious of which you spoke. I found an old New York Times article saying that the 1992 game was going to be broadcast on NBC and that the Bayou Classic in 1991 had an attendance of 70,000 to the Superdome to see 7-3 Grambling against 4-6 Southern.

I wasn't trying to be coy in my response... the reason I said total attendance is because in some years the Magic City Classic (Bama State vs AAMU) and the Florida Classic (FAMU vs Bethune Cookman) has exceeded the BC's game attendance number.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM

If his other FCS choices was Delaware State - he was choosing between two FCS institutions that do not participate in the playoffs, correct? The MEAC is reportedly joining on with the Legacy Bowl.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
If his other FCS choices was Delaware State - he was choosing between two FCS institutions that do not participate in the playoffs, correct? The MEAC is reportedly joining on with the Legacy Bowl.

Not true... Del State participated in 2007. I thought you kept up with the FCS playoffs?

gram4life
July 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Not true... Del State participated in 2007. I thought you kept up with the FCS playoffs?

Plus DSU is playoff eligible for 2010. The LB is projected for 2011.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I am very well aware that Delaware State participated in the playoffs! Trust me, we all recall the UD-DSU game. That game actually got a good deal of national attention because the schools' reluctance to meet on the field.

Plus DSU is playoff eligible for 2010. The LB is projected for 2011.

I was under the impression this was for 2011, though I guess there still could be coaches out there looking to hand scholarships out. The initial post did not state a date - unless I overlooked it - so I guess you could be right that he chose a school that sits out over a school that is in.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
If you were aware of Del State playing in the 2007 playoffs, why did you post that the did not participate in your previous thread?

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If you were aware of Del State playing in the 2007 playoffs, why did you post that the did not participate in your previous thread?

It was in reference to the future and non-participation starting in 2011 when the MEAC will have long odds at getting teams into the playoffs yearly, let alone on a consistent basis when they begin participation in the Legacy Bowl.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM
It was in reference to the future and non-participation starting in 2011 when the MEAC will have long odds at getting teams into the playoffs yearly, let alone on a consistent basis when they begin participation in the Legacy Bowl.

Mike...I told you about getting too personal...

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM
1) There are no contextual clues outside of the MEAC-SWAC Challenge remark and that does not necessarily apply.

2) 2011 recruits do happen in 2010. It is a lengthy process. You just do not begin recruiting in 2011 for 2011. Several SLC schools already have verbal commitments. Would presume that the SWAC schools have a few too. Based on the timing of this post, I presumed it was for 2011. I do follow football and unless recruiting is different in the SWAC where they adhere to 'quiet periods' when the rest of the nation is out recruiting, would hope they are out recruiting.

3) I did not look up the specific recruit and I applaud bluedog for posting links to back up information. Thanks bluedog! It is not often that a SWAC fan, let alone one from Southern posts links to back up a claim posted on an online community.

4) I did compliment the SWAC school in my second post for understanding that academics do play a part in a perspective student-athlete's decision. Anyone care to see that?

bluedog
July 8th, 2010, 08:52 AM
1) There are no contextual clues outside of the MEAC-SWAC Challenge remark and that does not necessarily apply.

2) 2011 recruits do happen in 2010. It is a lengthy process. You just do not begin recruiting in 2011 for 2011. Several SLC schools already have verbal commitments. Would presume that the SWAC schools have a few too. Based on the timing of this post, I presumed it was for 2011. I do follow football and unless recruiting is different in the SWAC where they adhere to 'quiet periods' when the rest of the nation is out recruiting, would hope they are out recruiting.

3) I did not look up the specific recruit and I applaud bluedog for posting links to back up information. Thanks bluedog! It is not often that a SWAC fan, let alone one from Southern posts links to back up a claim posted on an online community.

4) I did compliment the SWAC school in my second post for understanding that academics do play a part in a perspective student-athlete's decision. Anyone care to see that?

I thought the 2nd duty of an SID was to give accurate and truthful information.

1) There's no claim and if there were why would it need to be backed up? It's just a claim.

2) Where's your link (.i.e evidence) to back up your claim? I would expect you to be able to give us at least five

3) Isn't the 1st duty of an SID is to do his due diligence to fact find and research?

mikebigg
July 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
All of you need to zipup and move on, Geez

PushyDaBroom
July 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Today's Advocate article which mentions Griswold and Coach Mitchell....

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/97995314.html

Panther88
July 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Have no problem w/ dropping it altogether Head Linesman but :) I have this thing about folx beating up on what I call "my folx." (SWAC folx) I'll verbally assault the hell out of mikebigg because of competivity but I won't sit idly by and let an "outsider" do that towards him. That greatly offends me, seriously.

I digress and I'm done w/ it.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Should have gone to Lehigh. xlolx

mikebigg
July 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM

What did I say that was a personal attack? I merely asked a legit question in response to a comment made by McNeese 75 who told me to zip it up. Asking if he's a mod isn't a personal attack...at least I don't consider it to be. This is unreal... no simply reply allowed to someone telling me to "zip it up". C'mon Man!

bjtheflamesfan
July 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
As I said in my note at the bottom, the mods will be introduced soon enough...give Booth Review time to make that announcement (just like waiting for LeBron to make his announcement about where he is going to play next year)

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
As I said in my note at the bottom, the mods will be introduced soon enough...give Booth Review time to make that announcement (just like waiting for LeBron to make his announcement about where he is going to play next year)

I think the instant replay flag has already been thrown on this one, Head Linesman! ;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70070-New-Mods

bjtheflamesfan
July 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
thanks for the link TT...just shows that somebody wasnt very observant or they would have seen their question was already answered before they even asked it. Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled discussion...already in progress.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What did I say that was a personal attack? I merely asked a legit question in response to a comment made by McNeese 75 who told me to zip it up. Asking if he's a mod isn't a personal attack...at least I don't consider it to be. This is unreal... no simply reply allowed to someone telling me to "zip it up". C'mon Man!

Previous comments are gone so I have no idea what happened. My comment was directed at everyone arguing like a bunch of 5 year olds not just you Mike. Sorry if I got you in trouble.

bjtheflamesfan
July 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
mike isnt in trouble...his question about being a mod could have been answered in about a minute by looking at the thread announcing the new mods that TT posted a link to. and if he had a problem with something that was said all he had to do was report the post and I or any of the others would have seen it and addressed it. instead of all this back and forth and rather unnecessary arguing which has zero to do with the topic of the OP.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
mike isnt in trouble...his question about being a mod could have been answered in about a minute by looking at the thread announcing the new mods that TT posted a link to. and if he had a problem with something that was said all he had to do was report the post and I or any of the others would have seen it and addressed it. instead of all this back and forth and rather unnecessary arguing which has zero to do with the topic of the OP.

Thanks for the clarification and to set the record straight. My zip it comment had nothing to do with their mouth xlolx

Lulu
July 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM

New mod team announced yesterday.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70070-New-Mods

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Here's some recent info on Southern's engineering program...

Southern University is the sixth-highest producer of black people with undergraduate degrees in engineering in the United States, according to new report by a national education magazine.

The “Diverse Issues in Higher Education” magazine also found that when all of the education disciplines it surveyed are combined, Southern is the ninth-highest producer of African-Americans with bachelor degrees in the country.

In engineering, Southern ranked ahead of schools such as Florida A&M University, Howard University, Michigan State University, Jackson State University and LSU.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/education/98083619.html

PushyDaBroom
July 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Here's some recent info on Southern's engineering program...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/education/98083619.html

Perfect! Thanks for sharing, Texas Terror. Can you share that article with tspnsports.com? If not, I will gladly do so where I started the thread "DSU will not be welcoming SU’s newest Kicker."