PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State to an eastern league?

aztecjim
July 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am just throwing something out there but would the Penguins ever consider or be considered for an eastern based league? The Colonial or some revamped version? Northeast? The MVFC is leaning more west everyday and travel is and will be a headache.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I haven't looked at a map with specific locations of teams - but how bad is travel for Youngstown State in the Horizon League in non-football sports?

And speaking of the MVFC - how many flights are there involved in the league? How many would there be in the NEC if you took in the same considerations (i.e. distance)?

Bogus Megapardus
July 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Would you consider dropping all of your scholarships, eliminating redshirting entirely, and limiting your recruits to only the top 5% or so most academically qualified under a strictly-imposed formula? Then I have just the the league for you! xlolx xrotatehx xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
July 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
'GUINS........CHEAPER TA MOVE UP TA....MID-AMERICAN.....SAVIN'S ON TRAVEL...WOOD FUND X-TRA SKOLLIES........BUS RIDES..TA MOST EVERAH-WHERE......GOTTA WAIT TIL BUFFALO.....REALIZES...DEY CAIN'T BEAT UMASS/NEW HAMPSHIRE....NOTTAH LONE....C. MICHIGAN....&..CRAZY NUTS...NEW COACH.....WILL BEAT UH LOTTAH 'EM...OHIO SQWADS.....xrotatehx......BRAWK!!

Seawolf97
July 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Other than the CAA there really arent any full scholarship conferences in the East. The NEC is not a good idea -40 scholarships, PL -no scholarships and the Big South would be a stretch from Ohio. Best bet look to the MAC and move up with 85 scholarships.

TheBisonator
July 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Other than the CAA there really arent any full scholarship conferences in the East. The NEC is not a good idea -40 scholarships, PL -no scholarships and the Big South would be a stretch from Ohio. Best bet look to the MAC and move up with 85 scholarships.

The MAC has said no to them joining before, I believe.

SO ILLmatic
July 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'd say if UND & USD are added then they will seriously consider it. Unless a 12th team would be added with the Dakota teams to create East/West Divisions. Where the Guins would be in a division with SIU, IL St, Ind St, West IL & maybe EIU??? maybe a D2 school like GVSU??? They truly need a travel partner, but there is no team in their area - besides Duquesne.

And speaking of the MVFC - how many flights are there involved in the league? How many would there be in the NEC if you took in the same considerations (i.e. distance)?

SIU takes three trips via air travel. 1)NDSU/SDSU 2)UNI 3)Youngstown. I'd have to think the only possibility YSU has of making a bus trip is Ind State - and that may be pushing it because Ind St is on the Illinois-Indiana border. In the NEC they could probably drive to Robert Morris, St Francis, & Duquesne.

SonuvaHenx2
July 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
YSU also has to travel to Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Dayton, etc. in every other sport for Horizon League match-ups.
And...we (the fans of HL schools) kind of want them gone anyway, so they can go ahead and leave for some other conference whenever they please.

Jackman
July 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Find 3 more teams and come to the CAA as our mid-west division. Unfortunately, I can't really think of any other free agents in that direction who are full scholarship until you get to Western Illinois. Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah are reserved for the CAA's west coast division. Charlotte will be in the deep south division with Georgia State. We'll of course pick up Fordham and the SUNYs to flesh out the northeast and mid-atlantic divisions, while the Virginia division is obvious. Just need a handful more volunteers to assist us with our 6 division, 24 member conference scheme, and then our plan to take every single at-large bid to the playoffs will be complete.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2010, 12:05 AM
The MAC has said no to them joining before, I believe.

You just want to prevent anything that could help UND and USD get into the MVFC. xoopsx

Even though the MAC would be a perfect fit for YSU and there's nothing you can do to stop the UxD from joining the MVFC.

busybee14
July 7th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Geographically the OVC would work better than a east coast conf.

wr70beh
July 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM

It would be similar to where they are now. Jacksonville St. would be a 12 hr. bus ride, which is about the same as it is to UNI. I don't know if the OVC would let them in as a football-only. I think the Horizon fits them better as far as other sports go.

TheBisonator
July 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
You just want to prevent anything that could help UND and USD get into the MVFC. xoopsx

Even though the MAC would be a perfect fit for YSU and there's nothing you can do to stop the UxD from joining the MVFC.

No, I think it's you who has the hard-on for UND, considering you always post on their site.

carney2
July 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Depending on how the CAA shakes out some scenarios have them desperate for northern tier members. YSU would be 300+ miles from their nearest CAA foes (probably Villanova and Delaware), but that is no worse than their current shortest trip in the MVC. YSU would represent the western edge of the CAA, but would not be a bad fit otherwise.

blukeys
July 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Find 3 more teams and come to the CAA as our mid-west division. Unfortunately, I can't really think of any other free agents in that direction who are full scholarship until you get to Western Illinois. Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah are reserved for the CAA's west coast division. Charlotte will be in the deep south division with Georgia State. We'll of course pick up Fordham and the SUNYs to flesh out the northeast and mid-atlantic divisions, while the Virginia division is obvious. Just need a handful more volunteers to assist us with our 6 division, 24 member conference scheme, and then our plan to take every single at-large bid to the playoffs will be complete.

You realize there are some who will take this seriously and cite this as one more example of why the CAA is bad for FCS.

BearsCountry
July 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Youngstown used to be members of the OVC.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
What did YSU do to piss off their Ohio peers in the MAC? They seem like such a natural for that conference joining Ohio U., Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green and Miami.

ChinStrapPenguin
July 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
What did YSU do to piss off their Ohio peers in the MAC? They seem like such a natural for that conference joining Ohio U., Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green and Miami.

YSU was being considered to join the MAC with Marshall in the late '90s. It would have been good for rivalry games since Akron and Kent are both less than an hour away. At that time our program was very successful. It is believed that one reason that YSU was not voted into the MAC was that Akron and Kent were concerned about losing potential recruits. This was interesting since this was already occurring because many local players wanted a chance to win a championship with Tressel.

ngineer
July 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Replacement for Rhode Island. Would seem to be consistent with CAA schools.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
No, I think it's you who has the hard-on for UND, considering you always post on their site.

You know the drill: having NDSU and UND in the same conference for all sports is what's best for both schools and the state of ND.

Same for SD.

LetsGoGuins
July 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
YSU will not be leaving the MVFC.