PDA

View Full Version : Fordham at Army 2011

JoltinJoe
July 2nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
The Rams will be at Michie Stadium on October 29, 2011. Really looking forward to that. Michie is one of the best college football venues in all the land. The Rams and the Knights also have games scheduled for 2014 and 2015 -- dates "TBD."

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
The Rams will be at Michie Stadium on October 29, 2011. Really looking forward to that. Michie is one of the best college football venues in all the land. The Rams and the Knights also have games scheduled for 2014 and 2015 -- dates "TBD."

Which FCS program was Army going to visit in the future? Was it Fordham? Or Yale? Know it was a Patriot or Ivy League school...

The other FBS to FCS visit is Ball State to Illinois State, if I am not mistaken.

Sader87
July 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Which FCS program was Army going to visit in the future? Was it Fordham? Or Yale? Know it was a Patriot or Ivy League school...

The other FBS to FCS visit is Ball State to Illinois State, if I am not mistaken.

It was Army @ Yale to celebrate (I think) the 100th b-day of the Yale Bowl....fairly certain it's been cancelled.

Go...gate
July 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Army was to visit Yale, I believe, in 2013 (100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl) but pulled out.

Army also had a game tentatively scheduled against Colgate in the future (I thought it was 2011) but that was scrubbed a couple of years ago.

Good luck to the Rams!

Go...gate
July 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Stony Brook will play at Army in 2012.

Husky Alum
July 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM

I'm guessing that by 2014/2015 Army could play Fordham at Yankee Stadium.

I'd love to see Army play at the Stadium. Where my Yankee Season tickets are, I'd be on the 50 yard line.

Seawolf97
July 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM

Looking forward to that road trip! Last time I was at Mitchie Stadium was years ago when Boston College hammered the Cadets by about 20 .

ngineer
July 2nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
We're jealous. We've been trying to get a game with Army for years. Last time we visited Michie was 1995. Hope you embarrass them.

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
How much longer does Fordham plan to stay an ineligible member of the PL if the league doesn't agree to go to a full scholarship model? When would Fordham's schedule start to open up to fill these dates?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
We're jealous. We've been trying to get a game with Army for years. Last time we visited Michie was 1995. Hope you embarrass them.

I was at that game too. A good Lehigh team got run over by a very solid Army team. The Black Knights actually played 3 PL teams in '95, crushing Colgate 56-14 and Bucknell 37-6. They were a two point conversion away from beating a top 10 Holtz led ND team at the Meadowlands as well. Army finished the year 5-5-1 losing a handful of close games. In '96 Army went 10-2 and finished ranked in the top 25.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Yep. Our last game against Army was 1997. The year after that is when Army decided to go out and play the Ball States and East Carolinas of the world. Army feels an understandable obligation to go across the country and play where a lot of soldiers are stationed. If you look at the 80s they were really heavy on the the Ivy and Patriot teams - they even played Columbia. I guess it didn't do too much for them.

JoltinJoe
July 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'm guessing that by 2014/2015 Army could play Fordham at Yankee Stadium.

I'd love to see Army play at the Stadium. Where my Yankee Season tickets are, I'd be on the 50 yard line.

The potential for the 2014 and 2015 games with Army to be played at Yankee Stadium has been discussed. But Army and the Yankees need to see what level of fan support scholarship football at Fordham receives before commiting to that idea.

JoltinJoe
July 3rd, 2010, 05:52 AM

I hope that other PL administrations take note of some of the games Fordham has been able to schedule because it will be a full scholarship FCS program. I use to have Army season tickets back in the mid-1990s. I actually was "babysitting" for a friend, a West Point graduate who had been activated for Operation Joint Endeavor, who was really the owner of the season ticket package. I remember seeing many PL teams play at Army and always wished that Fordham could get a game there.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I think the folks in Center Valley understand this well. I remember when we were Army's homecoming game every year for a stretch there. It was fun. It's a question of whether full scholarships is worth playing one or two games against Army/Navy/Syracuse/UConn/Temple etc. every year at the expense of Harvard/Penn/Princeton etc.

Sader87
July 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
I think the folks in Center Valley understand this well. I remember when we were Army's homecoming game every year for a stretch there. It was fun. It's a question of whether full scholarships is worth playing one or two games against Army/Navy/Syracuse/UConn/Temple etc. every year at the expense of Harvard/Penn/Princeton etc.

This is the PL's false dichotomy in its essence. Who else are the Ivy schools going to play non-league...Pioneer, NEC, Big South schools? The Ivies are fully capable (and Harvard/Yale/Princeton already basically do) of funding football scholarships (or equivalent financial/merit aid).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM

Why is it even an issue? Don't PL teams have five OOC slots to fill? You could still have three games against the Ivy and two against either Northeastern FBS programs or CAA teams. One thing for sure is that you'd have a much better resume for at large bids come playoff time.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 3rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
[/B]

This is the PL's false dichotomy in its essence. Who else are the Ivy schools going to play non-league...Pioneer, NEC, Big South schools? The Ivies are fully capable (and Harvard/Yale/Princeton already basically do) of funding football scholarships (or equivalent financial/merit aid).

Well, Dartmouth has demonstrated that they'd rather play Sacred Heart than Colgate or UNH.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'd love to see Temple play a couple PL teams but with 'Nova being a yearly thing for the foreseeable future i don't see it happening.

Temple has had ties with Lafayette in the past. In fact, Dunph and the boys visited the Field House the night before LU-LC in 2008. I went to both the bball and football games. Talk about two good days.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Why is it even an issue? Don't PL teams have five OOC slots to fill? You could still have three games against the Ivy and two against either Northeastern FBS programs or CAA teams. One thing for sure is that you'd have a much better resume for at large bids come playoff time.

It's not what I mean - Lafayette, for example, is a tiny school (albeit with a huge per-student endowment). Scholarships tend to go first and foremost to super-brilliant students regardless of whether they are athletes. The question becomes, can the school afford to keep giving the academic merit scholarships and, on top of that, give out athletic merit scholarships? You don't have to convince me that scholarships are not incompatible with the AI and that the academic profile of football with scholarships would probably improve. I'm just not sure the college can afford it right now, or at least it doesn't think it can. If the PL goes to scholarships, it kind of has to be all or nothing because we can't renew rivalries against Rutgers, Temple, Army, etc. without them. Plus, having scholarships would make it much easier to jettison those whiny Crusaders and add a real school instead. xviolinx

Husky Alum
July 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
I was at that game too. A good Lehigh team got run over by a very solid Army team. The Black Knights actually played 3 PL teams in '95, crushing Colgate 56-14 and Bucknell 37-6. They were a two point conversion away from beating a top 10 Holtz led ND team at the Meadowlands as well. Army finished the year 5-5-1 losing a handful of close games. In '96 Army went 10-2 and finished ranked in the top 25.

That was a GREAT Army-ND game. I went with a couple of ND grads. IIRC, Army scored late to get it to 28-27 or something like that and went for the win instead of the tie, and an ND defensive back flicked away the 2 point conversion at the last second to preserve the ND win.

That Army season was part of John Feinstein's book "A Civil War" or something like that - a real good book.

DetroitFlyer
July 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Time for the NCAA to eliminate the athletic scholarship requirement for FBS teams to count a win for bowl eligibility. There are plenty of lower tier FBS teams that would play Ivy, PL, PFL or NEC teams if the silly NCAA rule were changed. All games against Division I competition should count. I mean come on, could it really get any worse than Murray State playing Louisville? There are only four quarters after all. A Dayton, Albany, Lafayette or Harvard could certainly hang with the poor Temple or Buffalo teams of years past. But even though those teams were not going bowling, the stupid NCAA rule kept those type of games from occuring....

Fordham
July 5th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Time for the NCAA to eliminate the athletic scholarship requirement for FBS teams to count a win for bowl eligibility. There are plenty of lower tier FBS teams that would play Ivy, PL, PFL or NEC teams if the silly NCAA rule were changed. All games against Division I competition should count. I mean come on, could it really get any worse than Murray State playing Louisville? There are only four quarters after all. A Dayton, Albany, Lafayette or Harvard could certainly hang with the poor Temple or Buffalo teams of years past. But even though those teams were not going bowling, the stupid NCAA rule kept those type of games from occuring....I agree

Until then, I couldn't be happier with these Army games.

JoltinJoe
July 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I agree

Until then, I couldn't be happier with these Army games.

Agreed. We're at two of the most historic college football venues in back-to-back seasons: Yale Bowl in '10 and Michie in '11.

Go...gate
July 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
That was a GREAT Army-ND game. I went with a couple of ND grads. IIRC, Army scored late to get it to 28-27 or something like that and went for the win instead of the tie, and an ND defensive back flicked away the 2 point conversion at the last second to preserve the ND win.

That Army season was part of John Feinstein's book "A Civil War" or something like that - a real good book.

Agreed. Army played their backsides off that day and nearly pulled a great upset. Moreover, Feinstein's "A Civil War" is an awesome book.

Uncle Buck
July 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I know it's a day late and dollar short, but dammit, Hofstra inked a deal with Army to play at West Point for 2011. **** that president Rabinowitz scumbag!

Go...gate
July 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I was hoping Hofstra would have started playing Colgate, too.

Uncle Buck
July 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I was hoping Hofstra would have started playing Colgate, too.

Too bad our president sucks. I still can't believe no Hofstra football in the fall, especially with Stony Brook and Fordham pressing forward.

rufus
July 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Time for the NCAA to eliminate the athletic scholarship requirement for FBS teams to count a win for bowl eligibility. There are plenty of lower tier FBS teams that would play Ivy, PL, PFL or NEC teams if the silly NCAA rule were changed. All games against Division I competition should count. I mean come on, could it really get any worse than Murray State playing Louisville? There are only four quarters after all. A Dayton, Albany, Lafayette or Harvard could certainly hang with the poor Temple or Buffalo teams of years past. But even though those teams were not going bowling, the stupid NCAA rule kept those type of games from occuring....
I think the NCAA implemented that rule in part to provide financial assistance to those FCS schools that are committed to providing scholarships. If the NCAA were to drop the rule, the supply of FCS games would increase, and the price paid per game would fall. Additionally, FBS programs would seek out weaker competition first, further complicating scheduling for top FCS teams. Why play Villanova or App State when you can play Valparaiso or Davidson? Why risk the loss? Why risk injuries, when your starters could sit out for an entire game against non-scholarship competition?

Dropping the rule would simply shift funds from those programs that offer full scholarships to those that do not.