PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best player your College ever played against?.

65 Pard
January 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Years ago Tom Mitchell from Bucknell jut tore up the league....later a very good NFL receiver...

JMU2004
January 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM
michael vick

65 Pard
January 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
How about naming both best 1A and best 1AA player that played against your school?

Go...gate
January 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Jim Brown, who set an NCAA scoring record against us.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM
michael vick
The best player I saw SU play was Steve "Air 2" McNair. Jerry Rice is a close second. enuff said. :)

GOKATS
January 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM
'85 I made the trip (as a booster) when the 'Cats played the Gators and Emmett Smith, needless to say we got our butts handed to us, but it was a great road trip.

bulldog10jw
January 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Hard to say since Yale's history goes back to an era when the Ivy schools were the best in the country and therefore had the best players and many HOF members.

However, in modern times Yale has played against three Heisman Tropy winners. Tom Harmon, Dick Kazmaier, and Doug Flutie.

griz37
January 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I would say Randy Moss when he lit up the Griz in the '96 National title game. Bad memories :mad:

VictorG
January 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I would say Randy Moss when he lit up the Griz in the '96 National title game. Bad memories :mad:

Yup, Randy Moss. Bad memories of him as a pro too!

carney2
January 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I don't know much about the really old days but I'm going to throw out a guess here: Dick Kazmaier, the Princeton running back and 1951 Heisman Trophy winner.

GAD
January 8th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Jerry Rice caught I think 30 passes in one game against us.

blukeys
January 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
The Buffalo Bulls have been getting trashed on another thread but at one time during the early 60's they had a very tough team. They had a d linemen named Jerry Philbin who later on was an All Pro for the New York Jets and part of the '69 Super Bowl team. He and Howie Long both were exceptional and dominant linemen although Long's team wasn't very good.

Offensive players who were on a different level were:

Mike Siani - Nova All Pro with the Oakland Raiders D-I no I-AA
Randy Moss I-AA
Napoleon McCallum RB with Navy
Brian Westbrook Nova I-AA
Jerry Azumah UNH running back now playing defense with the Bears I-AA

The Historian
January 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Ed Marinaro of Cornell, finished second in the Heisman trophy.

Pard4Life
January 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
That's easy... Jim Thorpe.

But I'll throw in Chuck Bednarik, Penn, Dick Kazmeir, Princeton, and Gordie Lockbaum, Holy Cross. Also maybe somebody from a 1940s Army team or 30s Fordham?

From within the past few years I'd say Clifton Dawson, RB, Harvard, Richie Williams, ASU, and Stacy Tutt, Richmond.

oldsouthernman
January 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Randy Moss, Johnny U, Steve MacNair Archie Manning, Brent Fullwood, Tracy Rocker- too many to name. BTW- You could not have seen Emmitt Smith play in 1985 unless you made a game at Escambia HS. EM did not matriculate until 1987.

igo4uni
January 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Troy Davis. Iowa State had nothing but him and he still got 2000 yards.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Jim Thorpe.

bulldog10jw
January 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM
That's easy... Jim Thorpe.

Also maybe somebody from a 1940s Army team

Did LC play against Blanchard and Davis?

ngineer
January 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Several beat me to it--but Jim Thorpe far and away. In fact the Carlisle game against Lehigh in 1912 has it's own chapter in one of Thorpe's biographies wherein he intercepted a pass by Lehigh's own All-American that year, Pat Pazetti, and returned it for the game winning touchdown that occured at Taylor Field (two years before it became the 'stadium'). That's why I'm sentimental about ol' Taylor's demise for having had the opportunity to be on the same grass as Thorpe.
I remember Ed Marinaro running roughshod over us in 1971, Van Eeghan of the 'gate in early '70's as well. Will have to check the ol' media guide and see if Bednarik's Penn team played against Lehigh when he was there. But Thorpe still takes the cake, in my view.

Baldy
January 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I-AA
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Shannon Sharpe (DII)
Larry Centers
Ed Hartwell
Aaron Stecker
Dexter Coakley
Bernard Hawk
Just to name a few...

I-A - too many to list.

foghorn
January 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM
The Buffalo Bulls have been getting trashed on another thread but at one time during the early 60's they had a very tough team. They had a d linemen named Jerry Philbin who later on was an All Pro for the New York Jets and part of the '69 Super Bowl team. He and Howie Long both were exceptional and dominant linemen although Long's team wasn't very good.

Offensive players who were on a different level were:

Mike Siani - Nova All Pro with the Oakland Raiders D-I no I-AA
Randy Moss I-AA
Napoleon McCallum RB with Navy
Brian Westbrook Nova I-AA
Jerry Azumah UNH running back now playing defense with the Bears I-AA

And don't forget Temple's All-pro Joe Klecko and Denver's Steve Watson. :cool: Also, Hofstra's Chrebet broke a record for most TD's in a game at Delaware Stadium. I believe it was 5. :eek:

Freightliner
January 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
hmm...lets see, Ive got a few for ya.

I-A players
Marion Barber III
Justin Gage

I-AA
Michael Strahan
Kurt Warner
Larry Centers
Osi Umeyora
Jeriemiah Trotter

I have a few others...but those are some off the top of my head.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
On defense, Dexter Coakley was incredible to watch every week. Doubt I'll ever cover another player quite like Dex. Couldn't believe his speed from the linebacker position. On offense, Randy Moss had the ability to single-handedly change games, something that few receivers (even Terrell Owens) can do. I would have loved to have seen what kind of NFL career that cornerback Matt Stevens would have had with two healthy knees (thanks coach Buddy Green and Chattanooga for the cheap shot crack-back block that cost Stevens millions at the end of a blowout App State victory and probably also cost the Mountaineers the 1995 national championship). He managed eight years in the league and a Super Bowl ring with the bad knee. Stevens would have probably been a strong Buchanan Award candidate in 1995 if Coakley hadn't been his teammate. Stevens was the best I-AA DB I've seen.

golionsgo
January 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Let's see, off the top of my head I know Southeastern Louisiana has faced Y.A. Tittle (LSU), Terry Bradshaw (La Tech), , Roger Staubach (Pensacola Navy), Ron Jaworski (Youngstown State), Bubby Brister (NE Louisiana), Gary Barbaro (Nicholls State), Pat Tilley (La Tech), Joe Delaney (NW St.), and Demarcus Ware (Troy State). There are a lot of others but I'd have to research it more.

Tribe4SF
January 9th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I-A....Tony Dorsett and Roger Staubach

I-AA....Brian Westbrook and Jerome Mathis

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM
NDSU opponents;

I would say Jim Langer of South Dakota State

Others...
Bud Wilkinson Minnesota
Biggie Munn Minnesota
Pug Lund Minnesota
Ed Widseth Minnesota
Adam Vinatieri South Dakota State
Dave Osborn UND
Jim Kleindropper UND
Emlen Tunnell Iowa
Ken O'Brien UCD

Brad82
January 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Rich Gannon-Delaware
Billy Brooks-BU
Sean Jones-Northeastern

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Jim Brown, who set an NCAA scoring record against us.

Go...gate beat me to it, but I would hold Jim Brown back in his Syracuse days up against anyone, even Jim Thorpe.

Jim Brown (just in case anyone needs a refresher!)

All-American in both football and lacrosse.
Pro Football HOF. Nine straight pro bowls. Led the NFL in rushing 8 years.

The sporting news selected Brown as the best NFL player of all time in 1999 AND he is generally known as the best player in lacrosse ever.

Sad but true, but in a 61-7 win over Colgate in 1956, Brown scored 43 points with six touchdowns and seven conversions as he ran 22 times for 197 yards.

He kicked our ass.

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Go...gate beat me to it, but I would hold Jim Brown back in his Syracuse days up against anyone, even Jim Thorpe.

Both on the all-time greats list.. :nod:

nmatsen
January 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Let's see, off the top of my head I know Southeastern Louisiana has faced Y.A. Tittle (LSU), Terry Bradshaw (La Tech), , Roger Staubach (Pensacola Navy), Ron Jaworski (Youngstown State), Bubby Brister (NE Louisiana), Gary Barbaro (Nicholls State), Pat Tilley (La Tech), Joe Delaney (NW St.), and Demarcus Ware (Troy State). There are a lot of others but I'd have to research it more.

"Y.A Tittle, Y.A. Tittle, Y.A. Tittle"
ESPN Knowledge Ball 2000

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Spent some time thinking about the I-AA greatest we've faced (since football has changed so much since 1956!) and I would say it was either Adrian Peterson at GSU in 1998 playoffs or Brian Finneran at Villanova in the 1997 playoffs. Both were Payton winners, although AP won it in 1999 compared to playing Finneran the year he won it.

I can't seem to find statistics on the 1998 GSU/Colgate game to see if AP had statistics against us to know if he 'played' or not. But I would say either of those two are the 'best' I-AA players Colgate has faced.

soweagle
January 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Peterson was a freshman that year so I know he played but if he put up big numbers I can't recall. Wasn't that game pretty close at the half?

Mr. Tiger
January 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM
There are so many it's hard to name just a few. Here is my top 5....

1. Jerry Rice -- Mississippi Valley State
2. Brett Favre -- Southern Mississippi played Jackson State once
3. Doug Williams -- Grambling State
5. Steve McNair -- Alcorn State
5. Michael Strahan -- Texas Southern

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Peterson was a freshman that year so I know he played but if he put up big numbers I can't recall. Wasn't that game pretty close at the half?

At the half, yes. By the end - no. :bawling:

Canyoncat
January 9th, 2006, 10:01 AM
'85 I made the trip (as a booster) when the 'Cats played the Gators and Emmett Smith, needless to say we got our butts handed to us, but it was a great road trip.

Great Choice, but I thought that Emmitt was a Freshman for Florida in 87. He as drafted by the Cowboys in 1990 as a Junior. I might be wrong though.

carney2
January 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Did LC play against Blanchard and Davis?

No. Lafayette played Army in 1942 and not again until 1948. Davis arrived at the Point in '43 and Blanchard followed one year later.

Go...gate
January 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Joe Morris of Syracuse (later with the New York Giants) had a big game against Colgate in 1981.

GOKATS
January 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Great Choice, but I thought that Emmitt was a Freshman for Florida in 87. He as drafted by the Cowboys in 1990 as a Junior. I might be wrong though.

My goof. Too many road trips= too many beers= too few brain cells. It was 1988.

:o

Pard94
January 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'll leave the historical answers to some of my older and more knowledgable Pard brethren. As for best players we played against personally (that is to say we were both on the same field, during the same game)...Wayne Chrebet ran all over us in 91. We played against a Penn team that had Joe Valero at OT. He was a man among boys. That's all that I can think of off hand.

carney2
January 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Another one: Chuck Bednarik from Penn.

Sam I Am
January 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Spent some time thinking about the I-AA greatest we've faced (since football has changed so much since 1956!) and I would say it was either Adrian Peterson at GSU in 1998 playoffs or Brian Finneran at Villanova in the 1997 playoffs. Both were Payton winners, although AP won it in 1999 compared to playing Finneran the year he won it.

I can't seem to find statistics on the 1998 GSU/Colgate game to see if AP had statistics against us to know if he 'played' or not. But I would say either of those two are the 'best' I-AA players Colgate has faced.

Peterson had 178 yards on 26 carries and three touchdowns at that 1998 playoff game.
At the half Colgate and GSU were tied 21-21. GSU won the game 49-28. GSU's defense was weak that year, and showed in the Championship game with UMASS.

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Peterson had 178 yards on 26 carries and three touchdowns at that 1998 playoff game.
At the half Colgate and GSU were tied 21-21. GSU won the game 49-28. GSU's defense was weak that year, and showed in the Championship game with UMASS.

Hmmm... those seem like some, uh, statistics!!!!

So modern era best player Colgate has faced: AP!

carney2
January 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
This one truly pains me, but Kim Mcquilken, the first of the seemingly endless line of Lehigh QB's. He spent some time in the NFL.

The Historian
January 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Joe Paterno played against Lehigh while at Brown, certainly the best coach to ever play against them.

GoGuins
January 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Roger Staubach
Steve McNair 94 I-AA playoffs
Daunte Culpepper 98 regular season
Byron Leftwich 2001 regular season

Pard4Life
January 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
We just missed playing Hobey Baker of Princeton. The years he played, 1914-1917 (or about that) are they only years we interupted the Princeton game in the middle of a very long streak.

And yeah Blanchard and Davis are who I am thinking of, and those 1942-1948 dates sound right. We just missed playing them.

Lehigh Lover
January 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Lehigh fans are also forgetting Marcell Shipp, current Arizona Cardinals running back and UMass running back who LU played in the I-AA quarterfinals in 1998.

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
PAUL PALMER...JOE KLECKO..STEVE WATSON...TEMPLE!

HOWIE LONG...BRIAN FINNERAN....MIKE SIANNI....BRIAN WESTBROOK...'NOVA

MIKE BUCK..MAINE
JERRY AZUMAH..NEW HAMPSHIRE
MARCEL SHIPP..UMA$$
NAPOLEON MCCALLUM..NAVY
WAYNE CHREBET..HOFSTRA
LEE WOODALL..WEST CHESTER
VINCENT BRISBY...ARKANSAS STATE
HALF DUH NE LOUISIANA TEAM...WHIFF ROSEVELT POTTS ETC.
RANDY MOSS & CHAD PENNINGTON..MARSHALL

DAT'S IT FO' DUH BIG BIRDS...SHORT TERM MEMORY BANK!...........AWQ!

HENJOHN
January 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Good ones Mr Chicken. Chad Pennington did not play against us though. He sat out as a redshirt his 2nd year after Marshall and their head coach (a former FLA assistant) brought in a transfer from Florida who played versus Delaware named Eric Kresser. Pennington never got to play versus UD.

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
We just missed playing Hobey Baker of Princeton. The years he played, 1914-1917 (or about that) are they only years we interupted the Princeton game in the middle of a very long streak.

And yeah Blanchard and Davis are who I am thinking of, and those 1942-1948 dates sound right. We just missed playing them.

North Dakota State just missed Bronko Nagurski at Minnesota. :cool:

McNeeserocket
January 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Years ago Tom Mitchell from Bucknell jut tore up the league....later a very good NFL receiver...

Roger Staubach
Terry Bradshaw
Kurt Warner
Dante Culpepper
Santana Moss
Adrian Pederson

There have been many good, and even great, competitors that our McNeese
Cowboys step on the field with, and some of those players wore our own uniform.

GaSouthern
January 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
still waiting for someone to mention tracy ham :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Mr. Chicken and others mentioned many of the fairly recent A-10ers (Gannon, Westbrook, Chrebet, etc.) as well as the best UNH Wildcat they played against in Jerry Azumah.

Going back a bit in time, a few other names jump out at me:

Greg Landry QB UMass who was a multi year starter for the Detriot Lions
Dan Ross TE Northeastern who played a few years with the Cincinnati Bengals
Vin Clements RB UConn who played on the NY Giants for awhile
And so far I can't recall the guy from West Chester in the mid 70s, WR IIRC

Ross, Clements and the WCUPA guy stood out as men among boys when they played. My memory says that he also played a few years in the pros. It just shows how much football has improved since the 70s because even Azumah, Westbrook, Shipp, etc. didn't stand out as much as these earlier players did!

And Ivytalk or one of the other Ivy Leaguers not from Yale better add:

Calvin Hill RB Yale who played multiple years with the Dallas Cowboys
Dick Jauron DB Yale who played multiple years with the Chicago Bears IIRC; current HC of the Lions

Not that I watch a lot of HS Football, but Dick Jauron is probably the best HS player I've ever seen. He did EVERYTHING for Swampscott (MA) HS -- played both ways, kicked, punted, etc. My memory says he held all sorts of Massachusetts HS records.

Obzerver
January 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Chuck Norris

pete4256
January 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Roger Staubach
Steve McNair 94 I-AA playoffs
Daunte Culpepper 98 regular season
Byron Leftwich 2001 regular season

You must have repressed the '99 title game. :asswhip:

blukeys
January 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Mr. Chicken and others mentioned many of the fairly recent A-10ers (Gannon, Westbrook, Chrebet, etc.) as well as the best UNH Wildcat they played against in Jerry Azumah.

Going back a bit in time, a few other names jump out at me:

Greg Landry QB UMass who was a multi year starter for the Detriot Lions
Dan Ross TE Northeastern who played a few years with the Cincinnati Bengals
Vin Clements RB UConn who played on the NY Giants for awhile
And so far I can't recall the guy from West Chester in the mid 70s, WR IIRC

Ross, Clements and the WCUPA guy stood out as men among boys when they played.

Thanx for forgetting me you New England mental syncophant!!!!

Greg Landry counted the clouds above Delaware Stadium when he was there that is how much time he spent on his back. Back to the main point WCUPA had some great players including Lee Woodall (Raiders) and Tight End Joe Senser. But, back in those days anyone could catch passes on UD :rolleyes:

My how things have changed :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool:

blukeys
January 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Roger Staubach
Terry Bradshaw
Kurt Warner
Dante Culpepper
Santana Moss
Adrian Pederson

There have been many good, and even great, competitors that our McNeese
Cowboys step on the field with, and some of those players wore our own uniform.

Let me sadly add one to your category, rocket, Nate Beasely from Delaware. He destroyed the Pokes in '74, He was number 36. He was killed in a car accident in '76 before the NFL draft. Nate was a true gentle giant and a quiet and decent human being. The Pro scouts had him as a top 7 round pick. Life isn't fair. So it goes. :mad:

CrunchGriz
January 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Still waiting for someone to say Dave Dickenson. GSU fans remember him, don't you? He was the QB who went 37 for 46 for 408 yards and four TDs on you in 1995, his fourth 400-yard passing day in five playoff games, despite coming out after the second series of the third quarter.

AP was certainly one of the best the Griz have faced.

Go...gate
January 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Colgate 13 - didn't Brian Westbrook of Villanova, now a starter with the Eagles, have a big day against us a few years ago in a game stopped by lightning at Villanova Stadium?

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Good ones Mr Chicken. Chad Pennington did not play against us though. He sat out as a redshirt his 2nd year after Marshall and their head coach (a former FLA assistant) brought in a transfer from Florida who played versus Delaware named Eric Kresser. Pennington never got to play versus UD.

OH!.... :o :o :o ....RIGHT!................:o...............BRAWQ!

GOKATS
January 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Still waiting for someone to say Dave Dickenson. GSU fans remember him, don't you? He was the QB who went 37 for 46 for 408 yards and four TDs on you in 1995, his fourth 400-yard passing day in five playoff games, despite coming out after the second series of the third quarter.

AP was certainly one of the best the Griz have faced.

Yep! Guess folks all across the nation missed the boat on calling DD one of the best players their team ever played against. Hell, I watched him, but he didn't make my list.

p.s. Read the thread, there are some damn impressive names out there.

TulsaBobcat
January 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Chuck Norris

Did you know Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer?

Too bad he's never cried.

Reed Rothchild
January 9th, 2006, 11:28 PM
A lot of these are more recent:
Tracey Ham
Sean Johnson
Randy Moss
Tim Dwight
Tavian Banks
Seneca Wallace
Ed Hartwell
Tim Johnson
Rich Seubert
Russ Michna
Boomer Grigsby
Tony Romo
Mel Mitchell

CrunchGriz
January 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Yep! Guess folks all across the nation missed the boat on calling DD one of the best players their team ever played against. Hell, I watched him, but he didn't make my list.

p.s. Read the thread, there are some damn impressive names out there.

P.P.S. I read the thread, and I still don't understand why DD isn't on someone's list. He didn't win all those games, and put up those astounding stats, in a vacuum. If we're talking "best player based on their NFL career", well, okay, DD doesn't make that list. If we're talking "best player based on what he did to my team in I-AA game(s)", he should be on a lot of lists. You, as a 'Cat fan, should be able to agree/admit to that.

For example, I'll name three teams on whose list (at least the short list of great players, if not the best) he should be: Georgia Southern, Eastern Kentucky, and Stephen F. Austin, against whom, in the '95 playoffs, he put up these stats: 93-121 (77%), 1219 yards passing, with 11 TDs and 1 Int., in about 7 total quarters of play (because the Griz got so far ahead in all of those games). If fans of these teams don't remember these performances as being among the best against them, maybe they're just repressing very bad memories.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Portland State's short but distinguished time in I-AA. We joined the Big Sky right after Dickenson, tho I think we played a game as DII against the Griz when Dickenson was there.

Going with what I know for sure, the best two were these last couple years...Eric Kramer (EWU) and Travis Lulay (MSU). Still, I'd have to say that we have not played against anyone better than our own Neil Lomax.

colgate13
January 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Colgate 13 - didn't Brian Westbrook of Villanova, now a starter with the Eagles, had a big day against us a few years ago in a game stopped by lightning at Villanova Stadium?

In 2001, the year he won the Payton, Westbrook ran for 146 on 13 touches and scored 5 TDs; 3 rushing, one receiving and one on a 98 yard kickoff return after we had the nerve of going up on Nova 7-3. It was all Westbrook from there on out.

The game was called after a 51 minute lightning delay right before the start of the 4th quarter. I think it was divine intervention.

Good catch Go...gate. I think I blocked that one out of my memory! Add Westbrook to the list of greats Colgate has gone up against.

bulldog10jw
January 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Calvin Hill RB Yale who played multiple years with the Dallas Cowboys

Calvin Hill was great. But he wasn't the best player on the '66-'68 teams. Brian Dowling was. This is strictly as a college player, not how they did in the NFL.

Go...gate
January 10th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Ed Marinaro of Cornell, who finished second in the 1971 Heisman voting and then played for the Minnesota Vikings, had some big days against Colgate, Rutgers and the entire Ivy League during his career.

carney2
January 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
How about Keith Elias of Princeton? A smallish but quality running back who spent some time in the NFL. I remember one game where he and Erik Marsh got almost 600 yards rushing between them. One of my regulars commented at one point that Marsh will get you every yard that's there, but Elias will also get you a few that aren't.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I would concur, 37. Bad, Bad Memories. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

ngineer
January 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Since the thread says "best..ever" despite some illustrious names above, and some who ripped through the Brown & White on occasion, Jim Thorpe still stands as the 'best ever'...

JoltinJoe
January 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Jim Brown played for Syracuse in the Orange's 1954 game against Fordham.

Here's College Football News Top 100 College Players of All Time. Brown ranks No. 17. Three I-AA schools are represented on this list: Penn, Chuck Bednarik, No. 42; Fordham, Alex Wojciechowicz, No. 72; and Miss Valley State, Jerry Rice, No. 89.

100 Greatest College Football Players of All Time (http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Players/Top%20100%20Players.htm)

blueballs
January 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
P.P.S. I read the thread, and I still don't understand why DD isn't on someone's list... For example, I'll name three teams on whose list (at least the short list of great players, if not the best) he should be: Georgia Southern... If fans of these teams don't remember these performances as being among the best against them, maybe they're just repressing very bad memories.

We tried to repress that very bad memory and were successful in doing so... until now.

Thanks for nothing. :smiley_wi

Ivytalk
January 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Ed Marinaro, Dick Kazmaier, Gordie Lockbaum, Calvin Hill, Jay Fiedler.

pete4256
January 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Along with Dave Dickenson, RB Larry Centers from SFA is another guy who overmatched us. He caught several big-play passes and almost did us in during the '89 championship. Luckily, we did limit him on the ground.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
100 Greatest College Football Players of All Time (http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Players/Top%20100%20Players.htm)

Seeing as Red Grange was #1 on that list, anyone play Illinois is 1923,24 or 25?

Colgate came close, at least in league play. We tied Ohio State in 23 and beat Michigan State in 25. No Illinois.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Seeing as Red Grange was #1 on that list, anyone play Illinois is 1923,24 or 25?

Answered my own question!

Butler and Penn take the cake!

Butler played Grange every year, losing 21-7, 40-10 and 16-13.

Penn played Grange in 1925, losing 24-2.

It's hard to argue with the Galloping Ghost.

Go...gate
January 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ray Nitschke of Illinois had a good game against us in 1957. Three Heisman winners had big games against us: Dick Kazmaier of Princeton in '50, Pete Dawkins of Army in '58 and Ernie Davis of Syracuse in '59, '60 and '61.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Since the thread says "best..ever" despite some illustrious names above, and some who ripped through the Brown & White on occasion, Jim Thorpe still stands as the 'best ever'...

Jim Thorpe takes the cake too... and he kicked our butts in that 1950s movie 'Jim Thorpe All-American'.

Although Ernie Nevers (68 on the list) of Stanford didn't play against us... he was our coach for one season and I'm assuming he got canned for a 1-8 performance :p