PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama Announces 2011 (FCS) Schedule

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
South Alabama's first year as an FCS school - since they have been unclassified the last two years - will be 2011. Here's their schedule below, which includes six FCS programs, two FBS programs and three sub-div I institutions.

9/1 West Alabama
9/10 Lamar
9/17 at NC State
9/24 at Kent State
10/1 UC-Davis
10/8 at UTSA
10/15 Tennessee-Martin
10/22 at Georgia State
10/29 Edward Waters
11/5 Henderson State
11/19 Cal Poly

http://usajaguars.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=126

ASU_Fanatic
July 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Mmmm, NC State

Hood
July 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
How many scholarships do they have this year? I'm still debating on making the trip to Mobile when the Colonels travel there.

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
How many scholarships do they have this year? I'm still debating on making the trip to Mobile when the Colonels travel there.

Per their website - "70-80 student-athletes on scholarship"

It is a third guarantee game for the cash-strapped Nicholls program this football season. Some on the South Alabama board have called your game the "benchmark" game for their program, but not sure how it could be that since South Alabama has had more time learning their system over the last two years than Nicholls has since Charlie Stubbs took over.

In my best guess, you are probably playing a team that in terms of quality and quantity - probably somewhere between a top tier SLC team and a middle of the pack Sun Belt.

Redbirdz
July 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Don't get carried away.

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Don't get carried away.

Just seems with as much time as they have had to build their program - they'll essentially be in their third year in 2010 - that they've built quite a bit of depth. We'll really know for sure where this team stacks in '11 as I do not think the team really tests themselves in '10 against fellow upstarts.

UC-Davis is their toughest test as even the non-Div I teams on the slate are not that strong. And let's keep in mind that they'll be at home infront of 20-25k.

BamaJag13
July 10th, 2010, 12:59 AM

You should make the trip, Hood, and bring all of your Nicholls friends with you. We'll have somewhere from 65-80 players on scholarship this year. I'm not sure of the exact number. It will be our first foray into D-I football, so it's kind of a big one for us.

I'm interested to hear thoughts from Nicholls State fans about the game.

Hood
July 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Well by and large there's not much known about your team, and since we're under a new coach and playbook, our team is largely unknown to the fans as well. Might as well all dress up like the Riddler from Batman at this rate.