PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network: Consensus Favorites & Spoilers

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Do you agree with the Sports Network's thoughts regarding the consensus favorites and the potential spoilers to wreck the party?

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4321345

lionsrking2
June 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Do you agree with the Sports Network's thoughts regarding the consensus favorites and the potential spoilers to wreck the party?

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4321345

Looks like we suck again.xsmiley_wix

The Cats
June 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Do you agree with.......the potential spoilers to wreck the party

Nope. A team that's picked second in the conference i.e. Elon - is not a spoiler.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 28th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't consider anyone from the group of Colgate, Holy Cross, Lehigh or Lafayette spoilers. There's very little difference between the four imo.

SpeedkingATL
June 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I would think that Furman, UTC, or Samford would be "spoilers" if they were to win the SoCon. Elon wouldn't constitute a huge upset if they won except it would get the "big game" monkey off their back.xscanx

bjtheflamesfan
June 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
CSU could be a spoiler...they also return a very good starting QB in AJ Toscano and a very good 1-2 receiving punch in Gerald Stevenson and Kwame Krakue so I would not be surprised if they gave both LU and SBU a battle this year

Rob Iola
June 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Who exactly makes up "consensus"?

Redwyn
June 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know the same

TheValleyRaider
June 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't consider anyone from the group of Colgate, Holy Cross, Lehigh or Lafayette spoilers. There's very little difference between the four imo.

I think Lehigh still needs to "prove it" before being considered there, but I was surprised by the omission of Lafayette. I know most other PL people here are pointing to Colgate as the favorite, but I'm not 100% convinced yet...

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
App's the easy pick. I think they will be pushed by Furman and Elon.

bigCasu
June 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have hard time seeing Elon beating us in Boone. One day, they may take us down, but I put my money on that not happening at The Rock.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I think Lehigh still needs to "prove it" before being considered there, but I was surprised by the omission of Lafayette. I know most other PL people here are pointing to Colgate as the favorite, but I'm not 100% convinced yet...

Well if we're talking about the league play then i think LU has proved themselves. They did finish in a tie for second last year. The OOC games is where they must play better.

Squealofthepig
June 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
App State has a favorable schedule this year (which just goes to show how great last year's team was), so I'd consider them a concensus (hooray for spelling!) favorite. But they're far from a lock; we're all still waiting for Elon to crash the party.

I'm not sure the Southland has a true concensus favorite. Favorites, yeah, but not like all of us are lining up.

Montana has a tougher schedule this year, and Weber/NAU/MSU/EWU all could be tough games this year. But given the fourteen years of conference titles or shares of titles, they'd probably always be listed first in the big fluffy.

Still, overall, for a TSN article, can't find much to fault.

TheValleyRaider
June 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Well if we're talking about the league play then i think LU has proved themselves. They did finish in a tie for second last year. The OOC games is where they must play better.

I'm still skeptical. Your only conference wins of note over the last 3 years are over Lafayette, which can be as much the result of an unpredictable rivalry game as a sign of something building. On the other hand, the other big 3 have at least one win against the other two, plus wins over Lehigh, in that same timespan. It might not be the fairest comparison, but when you've gone below .500 for 3 seasons now, without an OOC slate full of worldbeaters, I'd have to see more to be convinced

IMHO, for Lehigh to be considered a real contender, they'll have to beat Holy Cross or Colgate along with Lafayette xtwocentsx

Wildcat80
June 29th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I guess they needed something to write about. was CAA only conf left out? I'd list nova as favorite---and everyone else as a spoiler starting with UNH!! Hope someone spoils there repeat!!

LeadBolt
June 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I guess they needed something to write about. was CAA only conf left out? I'd list nova as favorite---and everyone else as a spoiler starting with UNH!! Hope someone spoils there repeat!!

Agreed

UAalum72
June 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I guess they needed something to write about. was CAA only conf left out?
No, they also left out the Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ivy, Pioneer, Great West, and Ohio Valley

JaxSinfonian
June 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
was CAA only conf left out?

Nope. From the piece:

Half of the FCS' 14 conferences appear to have definitive favorites this season, while the other half appear to be more up for grabs. The seven consensus picks would be Montana in the Big Sky Conference, Liberty in the Big South Conference, South Carolina State in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Colgate in the Patriot League, Appalachian State in the Southern Conference, Stephen F. Austin in the Southland Conference and Prairie View A&M in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

jmufan999
June 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hope someone spoils [Nova's] repeat!!

i do too, i'm just not holding my breath. it's the wildcats' conference to lose.

jmufan999
June 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Nope. From the piece:

i think his point was that Nova definitely SHOULD be the consensus of the CAA, and therefore should have been listed. no biggie.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable with Appalachian being a 'favorite' in the SoCon.

Opening on the road in Chatty with a new QB --- and then 2 weeks later going back on the road against the Sammies (with Eloan at home the following week) --- looks to be a 'trap game' and may show a few chinks in the armor.

Going early to the Wee, then coming home for The Vermin, and then heading off to Statesboro for our bi-annual shoot-out (where they will most likely be highly pissed after last year) will be a tough stretch (followed by those dang Ankle-Biters in Boone).

If Furman closes well (and steps it up on the road against Appalachian and Elon) they could 'spoil' in the SoCon.

And Wofford will be looking for a little payback in 2010 (they have Appalachian and Elon on the road ... but play The Vermin in Spartanburg).

There may be quite a logjam at the top of the SoCon this year.

biggie
June 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable with Appalachian being a 'favorite' in the SoCon.

Opening on the road in Chatty with a new QB --- and then 2 weeks later going back on the road against the Sammies (with Eloan at home the following week) --- looks to be a 'trap game' and may show a few chinks in the armor.

Going early to the Wee, then coming home for The Vermin, and then heading off to Statesboro for our bi-annual shoot-out (where they will most likely be highly pissed after last year) will be a tough stretch (followed by those dang Ankle-Biters in Boone).

If Furman closes well (and steps it up on the road against Appalachian and Elon) they could 'spoil' in the SoCon.

And Wofford will be looking for a little payback in 2010 (they have Appalachian and Elon on the road ... but play The Vermin in Spartanburg).

There may be quite a logjam at the top of the SoCon this year.
Or the QB fill in works out with the large amount of talent at returning positions and we go undefeated again.

I could see many scenarios possibly playing out.