PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele College Football Magazine??

AtlantaMountaineer
June 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know when the Phil Steele Magazine will come out and which region will carry the FCS full preview?

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know when the Phil Steele Magazine will come out and which region will carry the FCS full preview?

Around July 14, I think. The ACC/SEC Regional will have the full FCS preview but the other two regionals will have FCS coverage of the leagues in those areas.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Around June 14, I think. The ACC/SEC Regional will have the full FCS preview but the other two regionals will have FCS coverage of the leagues in those areas.

Did you mean July 14th, or is it already out?

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Did you mean July 14th, or is it already out?

Oops. Meant July. Just changed it!

RichH2
June 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I am looking forward to it. Athlo's was the best for FCS coverage in the east. Hope Steele can pick up the slack

AtlantaMountaineer
June 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I talked to my buddy in their office today and he told me that they are going to be releasing a new team in the top 25 each day from now until July 19. Today they have Liberty up. Go to http://www.philsteele.com/ for the daily team release.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Around July 14, I think. The ACC/SEC Regional will have the full FCS preview but the other two regionals will have FCS coverage of the leagues in those areas.

This is on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart right now. However, when I flipped through it I couldn't find any mention of FCS football.

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2010, 11:31 PM
This is on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart right now. However, when I flipped through it I couldn't find any mention of FCS football.

That is the national magazine. Their ACC/SEC regional will have all of FCS in it and it is not quite out yet. It is at the printers as we speak being fixed up. I was told the Steele office should have copies in later this week or early next week. As soon as I get the ones I ordered I will let you guys know. My buddy said he would hook me up with an early peak so hopefully he follows through. I know I'm anxious. :)

saint0917
June 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
https://www.philsteele.com/store/images/Covers/RegionalBigEast-sm.jpg

SEC/ACC/Big East Regional Magazine

Get the 2010 Phil Steele's SEC/ACC/Big East Regional Magazine($8.95) today! It is packed with 4 FULL COLOR PAGES on each team. We also feature one full page of coverage on each FCS team! More coverage on the 1AA than any other college magazine on the market today. If you like the original college preview magazine you will love all the information on your favorite teams in this expanded edition! This magazine will be ready to ship JULY 2010! (PRIORITY SHIPPING/HANDLING IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE - approximate delivery time of 3-5 business days - delivery time is NOT guaranteed by the post office.) PRE ORDER YOUR SEC/ACC/BIG EAST REGIONAL MAGAZINE NOW!!

https://www.philsteele.com/store/

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Glad to see Phil is up to date on what he is covering. It's why I'll pass...

More coverage on the 1AA than any other college magazine on the market today.

Green Cookie Monster
June 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Yeah, why pay $8 to hear somebody's opinion and guess? You can find out way more here for free.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM

I doubt they were counting on you anyway. I have no problem with people that still use 1AA.

GeauxLions94
June 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Phil's Top 25 (so far)

No. 25 - Liberty
No. 24 - Penn
No. 23 - Colgate
No. 22 - Jacksonville State

#1 Released July

PhilSteele.Com (http://www.philsteele.com/)

GeauxLions94
June 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, why pay $8 to hear somebody's opinion and guess? You can find out way more here for free.

Exactly, why pay $8 when you can read it in Wal-Mart or any big chain book store for free xcoffeex

danefan
June 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Who care what he calls it? As long as he has the team and conference names right then what does it really matter?

The fascination around here with 3 letters is amazing to me.

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Who care what he calls it? As long as he has the team and conference names right then what does it really matter? The fascination around here with 3 letters is amazing to me.

Does he know the NEC and Pioneer are not Div III leagues and makes sure to include them amongst the FCS brethren?

I've seen a few media references over the years to that - can't always reply and make sure to sway them to seeing how things really are... xwhistlex

danefan
June 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Does he know the NEC and Pioneer are not Div III leagues and makes sure to include them amongst the FCS brethren?

I've seen a few media references over the years to that - can't always reply and make sure to sway them to seeing how things really are... xwhistlex

Not knowing that the NEC and PFL aren't DIII teams isn't the same thing as not referring to the subdivision as FCS.

Apples and oranges TT.

Harping on the incorrect use of the I-AA and FCS acronyms is nitpicking. Its not a substantive mistake (or intentional use for that matter - which is may be here).

ursus arctos horribilis
June 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Not knowing that the NEC and PFL aren't DIII teams isn't the same thing as not referring to the subdivision as FCS.

Apples and oranges TT.

Harping on the incorrect use of the I-AA and FCS acronyms is nitpicking. Its not a substantive mistake (or intentional use for that matter - which is may be here).

It's a pretty silly thing to act out about for sure. I've rarely seen FCS used in any publication on a national scale where IAA wasn't put there to clarify.

I don't have the little man syndrome to make me care about it I guess.xwhistlex

URMite
June 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think the reason so many argue an inconsequential point is that they see IAA as attempting to equate with DII and see FCS as neutral.

I personally feel the divisions should be labeled by the overseeing body. BCS Division I and NCAA Division I. - or they could just use corporate football & college football xlolx

panama
July 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Anyway...has anyone seen it yet? And by the way he is gauging support because he is thinking of an FCS only issue next year if there is demand.

Henwatcher
July 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Phil Steele's Top 40

1. William & Mary
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. Montana
5. Northern Iowa
6. Elon
7. Southern Illinois
8. James Madison
9. Northern Arizona
10. McNeese State
11. Wofford
12. SF Austin
13. Illinois State
14. Cal Poly
15. Delaware
16. Weber State
17. Richmond
18. South Dakota State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Montana State
21. South Carolina State
22. Jacksonville State
23. Colgate
24. Penn
25. Liberty
26. Grambling State
27. Eastern Washington
28. New Hampshire
29. Texas State
30. Robert Morris
31. Samford
32. Eastern Kentucky
33. Central Arkansas
34. Furman
35. Harvard
36. Dayton
37. Chattanooga
38. Maine
39. UC Davis
40. Missouri St.

darell1976
July 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Phil Steele's Top 40

1. William & Mary
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. Montana
5. Northern Iowa
6. Elon
7. Southern Illinois
8. James Madison
9. Northern Arizona
10. McNeese State
11. Wofford
12. SF Austin
13. Illinois State
14. Cal Poly
15. Delaware
16. Weber State
17. Richmond
18. South Dakota State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Montana State
21. South Carolina State
22. Jacksonville State
23. Colgate
24. Penn
25. Liberty
26. Grambling State
27. Eastern Washington
28. New Hampshire
29. Texas State
30. Robert Morris
31. Samford
32. Eastern Kentucky
33. Central Arkansas
34. Furman
35. Harvard
36. Dayton
37. Chattanooga
38. Maine
39. UC Davis
40. Missouri St.

We play #4, #14, #18, and #39. Only UC Davis is at home...not a good road schedule for us plus 2 FBS teams.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Anyway...has anyone seen it yet? And by the way he is gauging support because he is thinking of an FCS only issue next year if there is demand.

Yes I got it a couple weeks ago. It is pretty good. Only bad thing is that several players have been lost for the season with injuries or academics costing the 2010 season. A few transfers since then too.

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Still trying to get in touch with them to find out where it will be on sale here in Atlanta. I may just end up ordering it.

Yes I got it a couple weeks ago. It is pretty good. Only bad thing is that several players have been lost for the season with injuries or academics costing the 2010 season. A few transfers since then too.

Flyer Gramps
July 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Just order the SEC/ACC/Big East/ FCS version. Costs $4-5 more but comes direct from Cleveland via Priority Mail right to your address.

Nice job on FCS; better than any other that I know of. Tell me if you have better choices.

Fill out the last page and mail it back. If he gets enough response, he'll add more FCS in future. This is his life and business. He works at it every day & many nights. Entreprenuerism at its best!

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
That is actually the version I am referring to. I have the national version already. He and his staff do a very nice job.

Just order the SEC/ACC/Big East/ FCS version. Costs $4-5 more but comes direct from Cleveland via Priority Mail right to your address.

Nice job on FCS; better than any other that I know of. Tell me if you have better choices.

Fill out the last page and mail it back. If he gets enough response, he'll add more FCS in future. This is his life and business. He works at it every day & many nights. Entreprenuerism at its best!

appsfan
July 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
I picked up my issue at Books-a-Million two days ago...

lionsrking2
July 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
He doesn't have a very good handle on the Southland Conference.

iceman4221
July 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM

When you find a writer that does a better job, let us know because we want the most precise and accurate information on the FCS schools possible.

I received my copy in the mail on Thursday July 22, 2009... I have enjoyed reading about the upcoming FCS Football season...

In addition I have the CF Preview 2010 for BCS schools... These tools of the trade proved quite valuable over the last 3 college football seasons...

Phile Steele is usually very on point/accurate with his assessments and predictions... I have read his material over the past 3 football seasons...

panama
July 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
He does take feedback and he wants to improve the coverage of FCS and is even talking about a FCS only issue if there is enough demand. So email him or call their number.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
When you find a writer that does a better job, let us know because we want the most precise and accurate information on the FCS schools possible.

Phile Steele is usually very on point/accurate with his assessments and predictions... I have read his material over the past 3 football seasons...

Phil is a national writer and the entire SLC fan base criticized his opinions and "assessments" on our league. His snubs of Karrington Bush and Tommy Connors most notably are well documented...

Guessing we'll see the Coulson edited CSN Yearbook in due time...

He does take feedback and he wants to improve the coverage of FCS and is even talking about a FCS only issue if there is enough demand. So email him or call their number.

Some of his 'helpers' have come on here to back his opinions...

panama
July 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Personally I think it would be cool to have a national FCS only publication.

Phil is a national writer and the entire SLC fan base criticized his opinions and "assessments" on our league. His snubs of Karrington Bush and Tommy Connors most notably are well documented...

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Personally I think it would be cool to have a national FCS only publication.

There already is one, though I do not think it has been printed in three years. It's been available online in PDF version (for free - though not out yet) and then you have to print it out. College Sporting News. Perhaps with Coulson now involved, it'll end up going into print once more.

panama
July 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM
See, I am talking about going to Borders and seeing your school on a regional cover of a preseason magazine. That would be awesome.

There already is one, though I do not think it has been printed in three years. It's available online in PDF version (for free) and then you have to print it out. College Sporting News. Perhaps with Coulson now involved, it'll end up going into print once more.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Connors was on first-team All-SLC list by Steele. I saw it in their mag.

To be honest I don't think Connors is as good as people are hyping him to be. People act like he is a NFL prospect and is one of the best in recent memory. He is a good safety but he is not really a NFL prospect at this point. I think his injury will slow him down a bit. Players like him are usually rusty early on. I don't expect him to be quite as good as he was before the injury. Players usually aren't coming off a season-ending injury like he had.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM
There already is one, though I do not think it has been printed in three years. It's been available online in PDF version (for free - though not out yet) and then you have to print it out. College Sporting News. Perhaps with Coulson now involved, it'll end up going into print once more.

Look, I ain't bashing anybody here. Both Coulson and the Steele version have some mistakes in their work. You're acting like it's only Steele and that's just ridiculous. You back your side and then whine that those working on Steeles's side back his product. Pretty dumb *** way to go about things don't ya think?

I hope CSN does well and puts out a good preview, I really do, but some of you guys on that "team" are god **** ridiculous with the constant smacking on any competing product that is trying to put the word out for us fans.

You'd serve the cause well over at CSN by shutting your mouth on this crap and just concentrating on the product.

panama
July 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Geez, there is like zero FCS coverage. Why cant we have TWO glossy big @SS mags on the news stands with regional teams on the cover?

Look, I ain't bashing anybody here. Both Coulson and the Steele version have some mistakes in their work. You're acting like it's only Steele and that's just ridiculous. You back your side and then whine that those working on Steeles's side back his product. Pretty dumb *** way to go about things don't ya think?

I hope CSN does well and puts out a good preview, I really do, but some of you guys on that "team" are god **** ridiculous with the constant smacking on any competing product that is trying to put the word out for us fans.

You'd serve the cause well over at CSN by shutting your mouth on this crap and just concentrating on the product.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Geez, there is like zero FCS coverage. Why cant we have TWO glossy big @SS mags on the news stands with regional teams on the cover?

Exactly.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I agree - I do not see why we can not. The more coverage of FCS, the better!

Ursus - you over-reacted some!

My point is that Phil Steele is a NATIONAL writer and that CSN's coverage is more LOCALIZED. It's like the Sports Network. They are more national coverage (think USA Today) compared to local (think The Missoulian). For CSN, Coulson is the editor of the magazine and not the writer for the leagues he is not familiar with, as that is handled by the other CSN writers who attend games in the region and are VERY familiar with the programs they cover. Steele is going off more of a general perspective and discussion with NFL scouts (as far as I can tell).

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Gave you rep points for that!

I would point out their errors but I only read 3 media outlets and Steele, NFL.com, and ESPN.com being those outlets. They have plenty but of course do all you can to keep the attention off yourself.

Ever notice how they point out errors by others but always wait until everyone else has come out so they can correct the errors others have made and then point fingers? Classic stuff by TT and a couple others there. Now, like with someone at Phil Steele, I am good friends with Coulson and I respect him. He works hard. He is a good guy as well. I will see him this week and I have been looking forward to it. We always have great conversations and I have talked to him about TT before. Out of respect for my good friend I won't say what he has said but I will say that Coulson is not as anti other media outlets as TT and SE have been over the years.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM

My point is that Phil Steele is a NATIONAL writer and that CSN's coverage is more LOCALIZED. It's like the Sports Network. They are more national coverage (think USA Today) compared to local (think The Missoulian). For CSN, Coulson is the editor of the magazine and not the writer for the leagues he is not familiar with, as that is handled by the other CSN writers who attend games in the region and are VERY familiar with the programs they cover. Steele is going off more of a general perspective and discussion with NFL scouts (as far as I can tell).

Phil doesn't really talk with NFL scouts. I know he is very close with the folks at ESPN, Gil Brandt, Mel Kiper, just about every head coach in the country, etc. He does not really talk to NFL scouts though. I know he has folks close to him who do though.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ever notice how they point out errors by others but always wait until everyone else has come out so they can correct the errors others have made and then point fingers? Classic stuff by TT and a couple others there.

My content for the CSN Magazine has been in the editor's hand for over a month now. I am not responsible for the release date nor have I edited any of the content since then.

Now, like with someone at Phil Steele, I am good friends with Coulson and I respect him. He works hard. He is a good guy as well. I will see him this week and I have been looking forward to it. We always have great conversations and I have talked to him about TT before. Out of respect for my good friend I won't say what he has said but I will say that Coulson is not as anti other media outlets as TT and SE have been over the years.

I am not as anti-other media outlets as you are making it out to be. I never had a problem with CS.com, never had a problem with The Sports Network (post their stuff regularly, much to some's chagrin) and certainly do not have a problem with Phil Steele. My remarks are more directed at the "national"-sense of things.

I just do not think with as limited coverage as we have at this level (particularly TV), that someone can be as good a "national" writer. Most of the national writers, even at CSN, are very vague with information about the national scene. You have to be! The knowledge is going to be limited when you are not on TV weekly or have massive coverage as if you were the Big 10, SEC, Pac-10, etc.

Additionally, Steele is unlike TSN, CSN, etc. in the fact he only covers FCS in the preseason, unless I am mistaken?

The more coverage, the better - but let's not fool ourselves about the ability of 'national writers' for FCS, especially compared to FBS. Even those FBS guys are a bit short-sighted past the top 60-70 programs in America.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Got what you're saying and I knew that already but I read what you posted a little differently. My apologies if I misunderstood ya but you have a track record of bad mouthing their work so I'm sure you can see why I would be led down that path.

I like CSN's stuff, I like the regional angle a lot. I'm very much looking forward to the release.xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
My content for the CSN Magazine has been in the editor's hand for over a month now. I am not responsible for the release date nor have I edited any of the content since then.

I am not as anti-other media outlets as you are making it out to be. I never had a problem with CS.com, never had a problem with The Sports Network (post their stuff regularly, much to some's chagrin) and certainly do not have a problem with Phil Steele. My remarks are more directed at the "national"-sense of things.

I just do not think with as limited coverage as we have at this level (particularly TV), that someone can be as good a "national" writer. Most of the national writers, even at CSN, are very vague with information about the national scene. You have to be! The knowledge is going to be limited when you are not on TV weekly or have massive coverage as if you were the Big 10, SEC, Pac-10, etc.

Additionally, Steele is unlike TSN, CSN, etc. in the fact he only covers FCS in the preseason, unless I am mistaken?

The more coverage, the better - but let's not fool ourselves about the ability of 'national writers' for FCS, especially compared to FBS. Even those FBS guys are a bit short-sighted past the top 60-70 programs in America.

Naw Steele is covering year round nowadays. You just might not read his information because I know a large part of what he does is just watch games and compile information year round.

As for on the national writers that is true. I just don't think you can say someone can't be a good national writer. It is just rare to find one like it is rare to find a draft website, well impossible, who actually watches film on every player they rank.

As for your content you might not change it and I believe you don't but you know good and well your editor is going to make a correction when he finds something that is not correct. Any good editor would. I just think CSN needs to put their preview out in June or early July like everyone else instead of the second week of the season. LOL! :)

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Got what you're saying and I knew that already but I read what you posted a little differently. My apologies if I misunderstood ya but you have a track record of bad mouthing their work so I'm sure you can see why I would be led down that path.

All is well...

Naw Steele is covering year round nowadays. You just might not read his information because I know a large part of what he does is just watch games and compile information year round.

Is he putting out stuff weekly?

As for on the national writers that is true. I just don't think you can say someone can't be a good national writer. It is just rare to find one like it is rare to find a draft website, well impossible, who actually watches film on every player they rank.

Very rare. On ESPN.com and ESPN's family of networks, you see several guys who I guess you could deem as national writers. Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle is all over the place (seems he is on PTI once a week) and you have to give a nod to PTI guys from the Washington Post. Mostly local stuff, but they know the national scene very well, especially their regions.

As for your content you might not change it and I believe you don't but you know good and well your editor is going to make a correction when he finds something that is not correct. Any good editor would. I just think CSN needs to put their preview out in June or early July like everyone else instead of the second week of the season. LOL! :)

We'll see and I agree. Early July is best IMO, because it gives you a little something to talk about before media days the last two weeks of the month. SLC Media Day is Wednesday BTW.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
TT, you say you aren't "anti" anything but that's not true, or it's not the way it comes across.

If I were pro-Steele, or someway invested in that product then I would have to look at myself and think "am I just being overly sensitive to these comments". But I am not in anyway tied to the product so that makes me point the finger back at you.

I don't ever remember any Phil Steele proponents firing shots at your group unless it was in retort to something you guys have leveled at them.

There is no way in hell that you could honestly say that same thing about your side. The little brother style *****ing just insures that you will stay in that role. It's really pointless.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Gave you rep points for that!

Think you got someone else and not me.xlolx

BTW TT, neg repping is for pussies. Congrats on confirming your place in that group.xsmileyclapx

lionsrking2
July 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM

I received my copy in the mail on Thursday July 22, 2009... I have enjoyed reading about the upcoming FCS Football season...

In addition I have the CF Preview 2010 for BCS schools... These tools of the trade proved quite valuable over the last 3 college football seasons...

He may be, and I'm glad you find it an informative read, but it still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have a good handle on the Southland Conference this year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Think you got someone else and not me.xlolx

BTW TT, neg repping is for pussies. Congrats on confirming your place in that group.xsmileyclapx

Yeah I tried again and it said I had to spread it around more before I can rep you again. I did try though!

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
He may be, and I'm glad you find it an informative read, but it still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have a good handle on the Southland Conference this year.

How do we know who has a good handle on this season? We have not played a game yet. It may seem suspect but let's see how the conference standings play out. For all we know Northwestern State could win the SLC. I have looked back at his info and picking Hofstra so high that time was the only thing everyone has made fun of that held up to truly look bad. His other surprise picks have held for the most part.

iceman4221
July 25th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Is he putting out stuff weekly?

Yes, TT Phil Steele's team has been putting out a weekly FCS release, at least they did all of 2009:

Here's an example http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/Blogs/FCS/Josh_Wk1.pdf

panama
July 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
So, my local Kroger Grocery store is carying a regional version of the Preseadon 2010 Mag...however it is the BIG10/BIG12 EDITION!

Mr. Bojangles
August 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have 3 years to learn more about FCS Football so I googled to try to find a preview magazine for the season. This thread pops up. Thanks for the info.

RabidRabbit
August 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I have 3 years to learn more about FCS Football so I googled to try to find a preview magazine for the season. This thread pops up. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the Board Mr. Bojangles! This is the website to get into the "know" about FCS.