PDA

View Full Version : Great West & SLC Affiliate Membership

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
With the talk in recent weeks about the possibility of Summit League football, several schools from the Southland looking at FBS, etc - would it be possible for the SLC to add a Great West school (or few) as affiliate members to the league in order to retain the AQ - pending how this alignment shakes out?

The SLC was home to Troy and Jacksonville State under the "Southland Football League" umbrella for a few years. Those schools were around from 1996-2000 in the case of Troy and 1997-2002 in the case of Jax State.

What schools from the Great West could conceivably need a home?

How many schools from the SLC would need to leave to really put this into play?

Would the SLC be more inclined to add Tarleton State, Delta State, etc from Div II - or would that not happen quick enough to prevent adding affiliates?

I am not sure how thrilled the SLC would be about having affiliate members in football, if they could avoid it - but if the AQ came at risk - would there be any other choice?

DG Cowboy
June 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Assume all the Texas football schools leave the SLC, even SFA. I have always said a football conference of some combination of the four Dakotas, UCA, McNeese, NW St, Nicholls, and SLU would be very interesting. Not good for travel costs, but would that be competitive or not? The groundwork is already laid with the NC games in the last 5 years.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Assume all the Texas football schools leave the SLC, even SFA. I have always said a football conference of some combination of the four Dakotas, UCA, McNeese, NW St, Nicholls, and SLU would be very interesting. Not good for travel costs, but would that be competitive or not? The groundwork is already laid with the NC games in the last 5 years.

The four Dakotas are probably not in the picture. South Dakota and North Dakota would conceivably be in the picture...along with Southern Utah. I guess we'll refrain from including the California schools because of their FBS aspirations.

So, you are thinking this would be the league?

Central Arkansas
McNeese
Nicholls
North Dakota
Northwestern State
South Dakota
Southeastern Louisiana
Southern Utah

The Louisiana/Arkansas based schools would make one or two trips out 'west' in a given year while the Great West contingent would have to make two or three trips out 'east'. in a given year.

I am not sure the Louisiana schools budgets have deep enough pockets to make these kind of trips. Nicholls in particular has the lowest budget in the SLC and is playing three guarantee games this year (two FBS + South Alabama) just to make budget. Travel would be much tougher for them and depending on how overall realignment shakes out, Nicholls may have to look at the viability of remaining Div I.

DG Cowboy
June 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Costs are a factor, but just in "what if" mode, I have great respect for SUU, UND, and USD, so although I agree this will probably never come to fruition, I think that would be a fine football league. Minor sports travel are a huge problem. This might not be, but there is a change coming in the SLC landscape for sure.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Costs are a factor, but just in "what if" mode, I have great respect for SUU, UND, and USD, so although I agree this will probably never come to fruition, I think that would be a fine football league. Minor sports travel are a huge problem. This might not be, but there is a change coming in the SLC landscape for sure.

The affiliate membership would be for football-only.

The other sports already have homes for each of the three aforementioned schools - most likely the Summit, once UND gets in.

I do agree that change is forthcoming to the SLC. The question is how much? And when?

GeauxLions94
June 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
With the talk in recent weeks about the possibility of Summit League football, several schools from the Southland looking at FBS, etc - would it be possible for the SLC to add a Great West school (or few) as affiliate members to the league in order to retain the AQ - pending how this alignment shakes out?

The SLC was home to Troy and Jacksonville State under the "Southland Football League" umbrella for a few years. Those schools were around from 1996-2000 in the case of Troy and 1997-2002 in the case of Jax State.

What schools from the Great West could conceivably need a home?

How many schools from the SLC would need to leave to really put this into play?

Would the SLC be more inclined to add Tarleton State, Delta State, etc from Div II - or would that not happen quick enough to prevent adding affiliates?

I am not sure how thrilled the SLC would be about having affiliate members in football, if they could avoid it - but if the AQ came at risk - would there be any other choice?

They're not moving.

GoAgs72
June 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
If the Great West lost North Dakota, South Dakota and Southern Utah, we might be forced into FBS, not the other way around. I think we should be looking for additional GWC members , not losing them. I think FBS would be an unwise move for UC Davis until there is more funding, a better track record in FCS, a bigger stadium and more fan interest. The academic staff is very worried about dropping academic standards for football and actually voted against moving to FCS.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
The issue facing the Great West schools that may have their hand forced to move to FBS - can they get into a conference?

How sure a bet is it for UC-Davis and Cal Poly to get full membership in the WAC? Seems Sacramento State is the favorite, based on the fact they were specifically brought up by the WAC Commish in a few interviews, plus their current affiliate status.