PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Daye - Fmr SU, Nicholls, Liberty Coach Spotting

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Darryl Daye, new DC at Missouri Southern State...

Missouri Southern State head football coach Bart Tatum has named Daryl Daye, a former head coach at Nichols (La.) State as the defensive coordinator

“I don’t know how things could’ve gone much better,” Tatum said. “I identified a group of people that I knew would be cohesive and that would be a good working team, a productive team that could work together. With one exception, it was a seamless process.

“That one exception was Daryl, and I knew with his position, it would be something that we would advertise nationally on. We brought three guys in and interviewed them, but then it became clear that Daryl was the guy we needed.”

Daye comes to MSSU after serving in 2005 as special teams coordinator at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La. He was previously the head football coach from 1999-2003 at Nicholls (La.) State, where he was named the 2002 Southland Conference Coach of the Year.

Daye, a former linebacker at Louisiana State under then-coach Bill Arnsparger, began his coaching career under Arnsparger with the Tigers in 1986. At LSU, Daye helped the team to several bowl berths, both as a player and as a coach, and Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships in 1986 and 1988. Daye’s father, Donnie, was a fullback on the 1958 national championship LSU squad.

Daye later coached at Southern Mississippi in 1989-90, where the Golden Eagles roster included current Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre. He moved on to coach for eight seasons (1991-98) under Sam Rutigliano at Liberty (Va.) University. He was the team’s defensive coordinator the last two seasons of his stay, leading the Flames to a nation-leading 41 turnovers forced in 1997.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Glad to see Daryl get another chance in coaching. I think he was largely a scapegoat at Nicholls State. If his head rolled, so too should have the AD's and president's.