PDA

View Full Version : Its Official--R.I.P. Fighting Sioux!!

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/2881/

STANDING ROCK COUNCIL VOTES: RETIRE SIOUX NICKNAME

10-4 in favor of retirement.

Now the process of a new name begins. President Kelley says it is going to be a thought out process and not something quick to replace the Sioux. UND will be the Fighting Sioux for the 2010-2011 season.

RIP Fighting Sioux.....1930-6/17/2010:(

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
At least the guessing is over on how the tribal council felt (of course it was obvious), and now the what to name the team begins. Former Standing Rock Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder suggested Rough Riders. It is the name of Grand Forks Red River High School, but ND is known as the Rough Riders state so it could be one option, another which is more famous on the Siouxsports.com message board...The UND Fighting Calvary. Technically the RR are part of the Calvary plus UND could have a bugel call, a guy on a horse (oops PETA may not like that), but they could also bring back their old mascot...Thunder The Bleacher Creature. A big green gorilla kinda of a cross between the Philly Fanatic and Slider the Cleveland Indians mascot. UND's boosters and other outside sources brought Thunder to UND in the early 90's but got rid of him for obvious reasons. So we could see a return of him, not to be confused with ThundAr the Bison mascot of NDSU.

NDB
June 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM
On a positive note - Welcome to the Summit League!

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
On a positive note - Welcome to the Summit League!

Whenever we get invited. When is the next round of invites? And I suppose we won't start conference play until 2013?? I think.

NDB
June 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
The Presidents meet next week. It would be the best time for discussion and a vote. Although they are probably not in a huge hurry.

UND will be a great addition, my only concern is having a league with 11 schools, kind of a pain for scheduling.

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The Presidents meet next week. It would be the best time for discussion and a vote. Although they are probably not in a huge hurry.

UND will be a great addition, my only concern is having a league with 11 schools, kind of a pain for scheduling.

I read that USD starts conference play 2011 then starting in 2012 is eligible for all championships in 2012. For UND if accepted would be 2012, and 2013. I think thats right.

bincitysioux
June 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Former Standing Rock Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder suggested Rough Riders.............

I'd say he's had enough input on this subject already.................xnonono2x

I say North Dakota, plain and simple.

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'd say he's had enough input on this subject already.................xnonono2x

I say North Dakota, plain and simple.

Thats not gonna happen. We need a nickname. Grand Forks Central did that after the Redskins name was gone. We were called the generics by opposing schools when we stuck with GFC only....it doesn't work for marketing which equals $$$$. xnonox

Willie
June 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
You fellers should have this then...I always loved the logo, nickname and tradition. Since Concordia didn't have much of a hockey team, I went to GF quite a few times to watch UND play. And, I did a summer term there my sophomore year.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/53363355601299265402.png

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM
You fellers should have this then...I always loved the logo, nickname and tradition. Since Concordia didn't have much of a hockey team, I went to GF quite a few times to watch UND play. And, I did a summer term there my sophomore year.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/53363355601299265402.png

Thank you Willie!!xthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
June 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
You should drop the "x" and be the Fighting Siou .... no one will ever notice :D

johnson
June 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
North Dakota Storm.

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
North Dakota Storm.

After yesterday's outbreak you could call us the tornados.

Squealofthepig
June 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Well, no one is using the Fighting Illini now... ;)

Could actually be fun to contact Ted Geisel's estate and see if you could be the "Fighting Seuss" - would be fun to have The Cat in the Hat as a mascot!

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Could actually be fun to contact Ted Geisel's estate and see if you could be the "Fighting Seuss" - would be fun to have The Cat in the Hat as a mascot!

Green Eggs and Ham night.xlolx

johnson
June 18th, 2010, 07:03 PM
After yesterday's outbreak you could call us the tornados.
That name seems to work for Cavalier.

JBB
June 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
It has to be unique.

techstate
June 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Or just copy them and be the fighting dakotans? Dakotanites? Dakotanesse?

DJOM
June 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM
These "politically correct" folks should look to the Chicago Blackhawks as an example. No problems, no hassles---team named after Chief Blackhawk who fought against the "invading" settlers.

2010 is the year of the Tiger, 1.3 Billion people can't be wrong

msusig
June 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
At least the guessing is over on how the tribal council felt (of course it was obvious), and now the what to name the team begins. Former Standing Rock Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder suggested Rough Riders. It is the name of Grand Forks Red River High School, but ND is known as the Rough Riders state so it could be one option, another which is more famous on the Siouxsports.com message board...The UND Fighting Calvary. Technically the RR are part of the Calvary plus UND could have a bugel call, a guy on a horse (oops PETA may not like that), but they could also bring back their old mascot...Thunder The Bleacher Creature. A big green gorilla kinda of a cross between the Philly Fanatic and Slider the Cleveland Indians mascot. UND's boosters and other outside sources brought Thunder to UND in the early 90's but got rid of him for obvious reasons. So we could see a return of him, not to be confused with ThundAr the Bison mascot of NDSU.

They could be the UND Colonels and their mascot could be Colonel Custer.

Tod
June 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Nah. Custer lost. Roughriders (Rough Riders?) is good, IMO.

CopperCat
June 20th, 2010, 12:33 AM

I had to laugh just alittle at this, because the "cavalry" are the ones who were stirring the pot with the native american tribes back in the day. If anything, these sioux idiots should be pushing for THAT nickname to be stricken.

But I'm all for the nickname. It fits North Dakota as a state, it goes along with the history that is there. You can't be a sissy and live in ND.

coover
June 20th, 2010, 01:49 AM
My father was born in Bismarck and my maternal grandfather was born in Rapid City and I have many relatives in your great State so I think I may have something to add here...

Call yourself the "Dakotans". That will upset at least 3 other schools, particularly when you proclaim "We are the Dakotans and you are not." That may also upset the "Dakota" tribe but since the name refers to the state and not to the tribe, they should not be able to object.

I like it.

darell1976
June 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I had to laugh just alittle at this, because the "cavalry" are the ones who were stirring the pot with the native american tribes back in the day. If anything, these sioux idiots should be pushing for THAT nickname to be stricken.

But I'm all for the nickname. It fits North Dakota as a state, it goes along with the history that is there. You can't be a sissy and live in ND.

It was the Calvary that slaughtered the Bison to almost extinction to force the Indians farther west.

msusig
June 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It was the Calvary that slaughtered the Bison to almost extinction to force the Indians farther west.

So they might be a little mad when the see a General Custer mascot riding a horse down the sideline.

gt_bison
June 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM

OK, I hate to do this, but let's use the right word. Calvary is a place in the bible. The cavalry are soldiers on horses. I'd say the inability of people to correctly say and/or spell this should rule it out. How about Flickertails? That seems like a nice fierce mascot, or something xsmiley_wix

darell1976
June 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
OK, I hate to do this, but let's use the right word. Calvary is a place in the bible. The cavalry are soldiers on horses. I'd say the inability of people to correctly say and/or spell this should rule it out. How about Flickertails? That seems like a nice fierce mascot, or something xsmiley_wix

Sorry English major. And as for Flickertails President Kelley said UND will NOT go back to the Flickertails.

gt_bison
June 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry English major. And as for Flickertails President Kelley said UND will NOT go back to the Flickertails.

I'm actually a mathematician, just a really pedantic one.

I'm glad that UND won't be going back to Flickertails. Most people outside the state wouldn't have a clue what one is, and they sure don't seem intimidating.

Squealofthepig
June 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Since I had to look it up, thought I'd save some other folks the trouble on the Flickertail history... from und.edu:

A UND student named Holly Annis contributed an article to the North Dakota High Plains Reader that explained the history of the Fighting Sioux name and its controversy.

Before the year 1930, UND teams were known as the "Flickertails," named after the common ground squirrel, or prairie dog-also known as the "unofficial North Dakota mammal." Professor Emeritus Alvin E. Austin was responsible for the name-change. He wrote two letters to the editor and two editorials in the campus newspaper in September 1930 that sparked the inspiration for the Fighting Sioux.

The rationale laid out in the Dakota Student involved the rivalry between UND and its competitor, North Dakota State University, which had the "Mighty Bison" as its team name. This led to the reasoning, "Sioux are a good exterminating agent for the Bison; they are warlike, of fine physique and bearing; and the word Sioux is easily rhymed for yells and songs," according to Annis.

A week after the letters were printed, the Athletic Board of Control turned the Flickertails into the Fighting Sioux "without apparent input from American Indian people or UND alumni," Annis said.

JSUBison
June 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
We've been trying to tell you guys this for the past few years. Of course it's over.

darell1976
June 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
We've been trying to tell you guys this for the past few years. Of course it's over.

Telling us what? Last year we got one tribal approval and we were waiting for the other tribe. It is now offical, and not from you but from the Standing Rock.

wr70beh
June 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
These "politically correct" folks should look to the Chicago Blackhawks as an example. No problems, no hassles---team named after Chief Blackhawk who fought against the "invading" settlers.

2010 is the year of the Tiger, 1.3 Billion people can't be wrong

Actually, the Blackhawks were named after the Black Hawk Division of the U.S. Army during World War I. The Division was named after the Chief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

NDB
June 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM

That's how it was in the 19th century.

You UND fans have learned nothing from this entire thing (that is how the world of political correctness turns).

Furry Animal>>Native American>>White Aggressor

darell1976
June 20th, 2010, 06:54 PM
That's how it was in the 19th century.

You UND fans have learned nothing from this entire thing (that is how the world of political correctness turns).

Furry Animal>>Native American>>White Aggressor

Cavalry was not suggest by us Sioux fans it was suggested by the #1 Fighting Sioux nickname hater Ron His Horse Is Thunder. He suggested Rough Riders which was part of the Cavalry. Led by Indian hater Teddy Roosevelt (before he was president). So before you blame Sioux fans for coming up with the name do some research and learn some facts.xmadx

Here is a quote from Roosevelt: January of 1886 in New York: "I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the Western view of the Indian. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." These words were spoken by Theodore Roosevelt less than 15 years before he became President of the United States.

And yet ND has a National Park named after him, we are known as the Rough Rider State, and its the nickname of Grand Forks Red River High School; but approved by former Standing Rock Tribal Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder.

NDB
June 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
dude, it was meant as a joke.

cavalry was identified as possible replacement nickname by Sioux fans many moons ago.

CopperCat
June 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM

That is precisely my point. These idiots who find the name "fighting sioux" to somehow be offensive have their heads so far up their collective posteriors that they can't even see what is important anymore.

JBB
June 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
how trivial.

Husky Alum
June 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
UND Thunderhorses.

Unique, and I'm sure Ron His Horse is Thunder won't be apposed to it.

bjtheflamesfan
June 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
CAn you guys please stop fighting like petulant children? Im sad to see the Sioux nickname go but I am not going around attempting to discredit posters from other schools (much less schools from my own state)

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
CAn you guys please stop fighting like petulant children? Im sad to see the Sioux nickname go but I am not going around attempting to discredit posters from other schools (much less schools from my own state)

Dude, it's NDSU versus UND. It's the World's Ultimate Dick-Length Contest. Has been since 1890, shall always be. Most petty rivalry in all of college athletics, IMO.

darell1976
June 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Dude, it's NDSU versus UND. It's the World's Ultimate Dick-Length Contest. Has been since 1890, shall always be. Most petty rivalry in all of college athletics, IMO.

xlolx I have never heard it called that. But true!!xnodx

darell1976
June 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
UND Thunderhorses.

Unique, and I'm sure Ron His Horse is Thunder won't be apposed to it.

Lots of possibilities with that name. Thunderstruck music...Thunder the Bleacher Creature mascot...the sound of thunder after a touchdown. Not a bad name.xthumbsupx