PDA

View Full Version : FGCU & Football Feasibility

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
And step one in what could be a long drawn out process...FGCU is at the front door of conducting a feasibility study that would look into adding a football program. No true determination if it would be a non-scholarship program or a fully-funded FCS program.

Either way, the more - the merrier!

ESTERO — Florida Gulf Coast University is looking into what it would take to field a football team.

University President Wilson Bradshaw told the Board of Trustees on Tuesday morning that the inquiry will be part of the feasibility study into joining NCAA sports competition. Bradshaw said university officials are in the middle of discussions to hire Carr Sports Associates, a Gainesville firm run by former University of Florida and University of Houston athletic director Bill Carr.

Bradshaw said the firm will examine the financial costs of entering NCAA competition, including creating a football team, building a stadium, and compliance with gender equity.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jun/15/fgcu-hiring-consulting-firm-look-adding-football-p/

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Another article...

11:43 A.M. — FGCU President Wilson Bradshaw announced Tuesday morning that the university is hiring a consultant to study the feasibility of creating a football program.

Ever since he was hired in 2007, supporters and football fanatics have been asking Bradshaw when Florida Gulf Coast University would field a team. Same goes for athletic director Ken Kavanagh, who was hired in 2009. It's usually the first question both face when speaking to local groups, and one each addressed during their initial job interviews on campus.

"I don't think we have to study desirability, that's for sure," Bradshaw joked.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100615/FGCU/100615022/1010/SPORTS/FGCU-exploring-feasibility-of-football-program

Model Citizen
June 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM
No true determination if it would be a non-scholarship program or a fully-funded FCS program.

We're talking about Carr Sports Associates. Rest assured that scholarships will be recommended.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
We're talking about Carr Sports Associates. Rest assured that scholarships will be recommended.

If that's the case, what are the options? The Big South as a football-only institution? The league has never had a presence in Florida as far as I can tell.

The Southern Conference makes sense, but doubt they allow a football-only institution nor would they extend FGCU a full membership IMO...

bluehenbillk
June 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM
If that's the case, what are the options? The Big South as a football-only institution? The league has never had a presence in Florida as far as I can tell.

The Southern Conference makes sense, but doubt they allow a football-only institution nor would they extend FGCU a full membership IMO...

Having vacationed in Ft Myers, just minutes away from FGCU for years now I can tell you that FCS really isn't even on the radar. This is Florida...they are two hours away from USF and saw how quickly they made an effective jump into a BCS league. FGCU is still a growing school, I'd bet that they get a team and there are immediate FBS plans announced.

bjtheflamesfan
June 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I think the Big South would be more than happy to have FGCU if they decided to take the plunge into football (Course that would require Kyle Kallander to actually be proactive about something and God bless the guy but he doesnt have a very good track record in that department)

busybee14
June 16th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Look for them to go D2 and hook up with teams like Valdosta,West Georgia,UNA and other Gulf South teams.
Florida has no D2 teams,a Couple of Naia,3 Fcs and 7 D1 FBS schools. South florida HS Coaches have been looking for a "local" outlet for talented players that may not be div1 .D2 would fare very well in talent rich SoFla and could be very successful in a very short time.
D3 ball just started up in Naples at Ana Maria Univ (I think that is the name of the 900 student school.

wr70beh
June 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Look for them to go D2 and hook up with teams like Valdosta,West Georgia,UNA and other Gulf South teams.
Florida has no D2 teams,a Couple of Naia,3 Fcs and 7 D1 FBS schools. South florida HS Coaches have been looking for a "local" outlet for talented players that may not be div1 .D2 would fare very well in talent rich SoFla and could be very successful in a very short time.
D3 ball just started up in Naples at Ana Maria Univ (I think that is the name of the 900 student school.

But they just moved up to D1 in all other sports. I don't think they can play football at D2 level and D1 everywhere else.

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
But they just moved up to D1 in all other sports. I don't think they can play football at D2 level and D1 everywhere else.

Nope.

Not allowed or I am sure there'd be several programs that would do this...

RabidRabbit
June 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM
FGSU is a very successful member of the A-Sun. Just finishing transition, their WBB has been to the WNIT twice (or more as the A-Sun's AQ, since won the regular season, but ineligible for the NCAAs). Known for their baseball teams. Growing leaps and bounds in a VERY NICE part of FL. Only min. from the Ft. Myers airport (lived down there for a year, Thanks Hurr. Charles), this would be a nice addition to most any southern league. Definitely a fly to though rather than bus ride.

zilla
June 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
FGSU is a very successful member of the A-Sun. Just finishing transition, their WBB has been to the WNIT twice (or more as the A-Sun's AQ, since won the regular season, but ineligible for the NCAAs). Known for their baseball teams. Growing leaps and bounds in a VERY NICE part of FL. Only min. from the Ft. Myers airport (lived down there for a year, Thanks Hurr. Charles), this would be a nice addition to most any southern league. Definitely a fly to though rather than bus ride.

I think F-GC defeated Clemson this year in baseball.

Of course, many know by now that the Tigers are Omaha bound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the OVC for F-GC? There may be a vacancy if Jax St goes to the Sun Belt.

RabidRabbit
June 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think F-GC defeated Clemson this year in baseball.

Of course, many know by now that the Tigers are Omaha bound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the OVC for F-GC? There may be a vacancy if Jax St goes to the Sun Belt.

OVC would really be getting away from their footprint to have FGCU join.

FGCU is in the A-Sun, which for their other sports is a good match. Most of the other A-Suns playing football are non-schollie in the Pioneer.

Jacksonville, Campbell appear to be the only two schools in the A-Sun with football teams. So, only if they wish to change leagues, does it make sense to join as anything but a football only member if go to schollie.