PDA

View Full Version : June 9th - APR Announcement

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
FYI - keep an eye out on APR announcements...

I think Georgia Southern let the cat out of the bag early a few days ago since I saw a news story online. There's an embargo on releasing the information until this afternoon, but we'll see which FCS schools are hit...

Bam
June 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The EKU Colonel football team was one of five EKU squads to tie or exceed their respective team’s highest spring GPA of the decade.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Is anyone else in line for a possible postseason ban? I don't think there were any...

Theoretically, Jacksonville State and UT-Chattanooga, who had the postseason ban last year, would be in line for being *stripped of their NCAA certification* with low numbers, but I think its highly, highly unlikely to happen.

eaglewraith
June 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
The EKU Colonel football team was one of five EKU squads to tie or exceed their respective team’s highest spring GPA of the decade.

That's good, GSU posted their highest team GPA ever this year so both teams' athletes have done well, but neither will be reflected until the APR next year. This academic year doesn't officially end till the end of this month, so those numbers aren't included in the calculation. 4 year average will be from 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Theoretically, Jacksonville State and UT-Chattanooga, who had the postseason ban last year, would be in line for being *stripped of their NCAA certification* with low numbers, but I think its highly, highly unlikely to happen.

Wasn't Southern in trouble as well? I thought they had some APR issues...???

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Made me look it up.

2009:
Occasion One Penalties: Scholarship Reduction, No Public Reprimand
(possible Occasion Two violators)

California State University, Sacramento
Delaware State University
Georgia Southern University
Howard University
McNeese State University
Portland State University
Robert Morris University
Sacred Heart University
Southeast Missouri State University
Southeastern Louisiana University
Stephen F. Austin State University
University of Tennessee at Martin
Western Carolina University

Occasion Two: Public Reprimand and sundry penalties
(possible Occasion Three violators)

Jackson State University
Morgan State University
Nicholls State University
North Carolina A&T State University

Occasion Three: Public Reprimand and harsher penalties
(possible teams to get a postseason ban):

Weber State University
Montana State University-Bozeman

Occasion Four: Public Reprimand and postseason ban
(possible teams to be stripped of NCAA accreditation):

Jacksonville State University
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Again, I don't think any schools will get the "death penalty"-type violations.

I believe Southern has some APR issues originally, but they were able to fix them last year. They were not on the APR list last year - I'm not sure if it was through exception, or increased compliance.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
WEBER STATE HIT WITH POSTSEASON BAN

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/Improvement_trumps_penalties_in_some_APR_scenarios _NCAA_News_06_09_10

Also, UT-Chattanooga will be hit again with a postseason ban

UNI Pike
June 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
WEBER STATE HIT WITH POSTSEASON BAN

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/Improvement_trumps_penalties_in_some_APR_scenarios _NCAA_News_06_09_10

Also, UT-Chattanooga will be hit again with a postseason ban

Clarification - they have reduced schollies and practice time imposed, according to the notes under the list of affected teams listed on the left of the page. Correct?

FargoBison
June 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Clarification - they have reduced schollies and practice time imposed, according to the notes under the list of affected teams listed on the left of the page. Correct?

I think that is right, the only school to get a ban was Portland State basketball.

Catmendue2
June 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Wasn't Southern in trouble as well? I thought they had some APR issues...???
Naw, but the Southland got plenty attention.:D:D:D:D:D:D:p
:D:D

JSU02
June 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Our APR for the most recent year is 970, our rolling avg is 909. Our only penalty is loss of 0.36 (yes, 0.36) scholarships. So those of you hoping to have us absent from the playoffs this year can start pouting now. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Naw, but the Southland got plenty attention.:D:D:D:D:D:D:p
:D:D

Watch him duck and run.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Naw, but the Southland got plenty attention.:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Sure did...though mostly the Louisiana schools. The SWAC is not much better.

One of the big issues for the SWAC and for the Louisiana schools is that their saving grace is the low performing student bodies, plus the lack of institutional, athletic and student resources.

I've noticed while here, that so many students in Louisiana are not properly prepared for college. Negatively impacts the Louisiana schools, who with low resources can not make up for the gap.

I think there are a few schools in the SWAC who have a similar issue, particularly with the low admittance standards (are all the SWAC schools done with open admittance?).

Watch him duck and run.

Duck and run? Nope, just being honest. You can speak to lack of resources at Southern...

I really think the situation in Louisiana is far worse than any of us realize it is...

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Syracuse, Colorado, 5 others losing scholarships for APR penalties

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/06/09/ncaa.syracuse.colorado.ap/index.html#ixzz0qPA3BCsC

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The NCAA's big boys have figured out how to beat up the little guys in the classroom, too.

Spend more money.

The newest Academic Progress Rate, released Wednesday, showed seven of the 137 teams facing penalties come from BCS conferences and only two power conference schools -- Colorado and Syracuse -- were sanctioned in football, men's basketball or women's basketball. Both schools said they have already taken the scholarship losses and won't be affected next season.

And there's little doubt about the reasons for the disparity between big and small schools.

"It is clear resources make a difference and the schools that do have resources can make more timely adjustments," NCAA vice president Kevin Lennon said. "We clearly have examples of low-resource institutions that were very successful academically, it's not just money, but we're trying to help."

Assistance didn't come quickly enough for Portland State, which lost an appeal to avoid a postseason ban in men's basketball. Nine other schools, none from BCS conferences, all received waivers. A year ago, football teams at Jacksonville State and Tennessee-Chattanooga and the men's basketball team at Centenary were the first schools to be banned from postseason play because of sub-par academic scores.

The APR measures the classroom performance of every Division I team and this year's data was collected from 2005-06 through 2008-09.

Syracuse and Colorado defied the trend.

Colorado was penalized one scholarship in men's basketball and four in football, while Syracuse lost two in men's basketball for falling below the NCAA's 925 cutline. Officials at both schools said they took away the scholarships last season after academically ineligible players left school.

Syracuse was one of only four NCAA tournament teams from last season to get hit with a penalty. The others were Houston, Morgan State and UTEP. Orange coach Jim Boeheim, the reigning national coach of the year, had an explanation for his team's 912 score.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/06/09/ncaa.syracuse.colorado.ap/index.html#ixzz0qP9wmmVR

JohnStOnge
June 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I cannot believe the NCAA membership tolerates that system. What it does is put pressure on schools to see to it that athletes in certain sports succeed academically at levels way above the success levels of the general student body when the populations of athletes in those sports are dramatically different than general student body demographics. It addresses a "problem" that doesn't exist.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I cannot believe the NCAA membership tolerates that system. What it does is put pressure on schools to see to it that athletes in certain sports succeed academically at levels way above the success levels of the general student body when the populations of athletes in those sports are dramatically different than general student body demographics. It addresses a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Student-athletes SHOULD succeed at a higher level than the general student body. These individuals have to be on track to graduate per the NCAA mandate and the only way schools are impacted are if they have ineligible student-athletes OR take too many academic risks on.

I know one school in Louisiana where the Div I student-athletes are graduating at a rate of THREE times the student body.

NSUDemon98
June 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
FYI - keep an eye out on APR announcements...

I think Georgia Southern let the cat out of the bag early a few days ago since I saw a news story online. There's an embargo on releasing the information until this afternoon, but we'll see which FCS schools are hit...

Clean bill of health for Northwestern State. Though our numbers aren't off the charts, we have ZERO penalties. :D

Bam
June 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
EKU football's multi-year APR score of 964 was the highest among all Division I institutions in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the Ohio Valley Conference.