PDA

View Full Version : Who will improve?

URMite
June 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Other than perhaps Nova, who else among the top 30 or so thinks their 2010 team will be better than 2009 team? and why?

In my opinion, for the second year in a row, Richmond has more potential upside than the previous year, but with less experience and stability, so almost nothing is a surprise....

Mattymc727
June 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Definitely UNH, return of Toman (plus hes got compitition which is a plus), Terrence fox is back, return almost the whole oline, return the best defensive players, and Im a firm believer in that the recent recruiting classes can fill in the wholes from graduating players. The only big loss might be Sicko but I feel Jeannot can fill the shoes pretty well.

Squealofthepig
June 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
For Montana - don't know if we'll be able to improve, though optimistic. On one hand, sure, we're gonna miss Mariani (and a great clutch TE in Beaudin). On the other, we should actually have a starting QB from the get-go. Some issues to address on both sides of the line. Montana has to travel to Eastern Washington and Weber State this year, too, so think we could improve as a team but have a worse conference record.

Within the conference, think Montana State will improve the most. (And Portland State should also improve).

busybee14
June 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Murray St should be much improved in 2010. New staff, solid recruiting class,new system.
That and it would be tough to be any worse than we were last season.

aggiemba
June 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
UC Davis will be improved, tough opener vs. Cal though.

Jacked_Rabbit
June 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Illinois State will be the most improved (of the teams in the top half of the conference) in the Valley... Glad we play them at home!

bkrownd
June 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Other than perhaps Nova, who else among the top 30 or so thinks their 2010 team will be better than 2009 team? and why?

Massachusetts has to be better than last year. (please?) If nothing else, at least most of the difficult games are within the state of MA in 2010!

Date Game Location Time / Result
09/04/10 vs. William & Mary * TV Amherst, Mass. (McGuirk Stadium) 3:30 p.m. ET
09/11/10 vs. Holy Cross Amherst, Mass. (McGuirk Stadium) 6:00 p.m. ET
09/18/10 at Michigan TV Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium) 12:00 p.m. ET
09/25/10 at Stony Brook Stony Brook, N.Y. (LaValle Stadium) TBA
10/02/10 at Towson * Towson, Md. (Unitas Stadium) 7:00 p.m. ET
10/09/10 Open Date Open Date ALL DAY
10/16/10 vs. Richmond * Amherst, Mass. (McGuirk Stadium) 3:30 p.m. ET
10/23/10 at New Hampshire * TV Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium) 3:30 p.m. ET
10/30/10 at James Madison * TV Harrisonburg, Va. (Bridgeforth Stadium) 3:30 p.m. ET
11/06/10 vs. Maine TV Amherst, Mass. (McGuirk Stadium) 3:30 p.m. ET
11/13/10 vs. Delaware * Amherst, Mass. (McGuirk Stadium) 1:00 p.m. ET
11/20/10 at Rhode Island * Kingston, R.I. (Meade Stadium) 12:30 p.m. ET

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Furman will improve, I think. They lost two nailbiters last year against the Citadel and Elon that easily could have been wins. A little better defense in one, and a little better offense in the other, and the Paladins may have been a playoff team.

The defense will have to be better. They certainly couldn't get much worse. Makes one remember the defenses of old where, if Furman scored twice, you lost.

The Offense has the potential to be exciting. The Paladins will bost some of the fastest players in the SoCon with Adam Mims, Mike Brown, and Chris Forcier. If all of the cogs come together, Furman could have a score fast, score quickly type attack.

MR. CHICKEN
June 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM
BLUEHENS....SHOOD IMPROVE IMMENSELY........7 GAMES ON TUBBY FIELD......WEST CHESTER/DUQUESNE INCLUDED......DEVLIN'S SECOND SEASON IN NEWARK......O-LINE GETS BETTERAH.....LOTS UH WIDE-OUTS......STRING O' RB'S..........GOOD DEFENSE...(NOT IN BILL & MARE/'NOVA'S LEAGUE)...BUT GOOD.........NO MARK DUNCAN......NO GOHENS.NET...TA DISRUPT....DUH FANDOM........IFIN' WE GET BAH DUH 'JACKS......&.....KEEP INJURIES DOWN....AN' IFIN' 'NOVA GOT FAT..ON DUH RUBBER CHICKEN CIRCUIT.....WELL MAYBEAH...JES' MAYBEAH..............xrolleyesx......BRAWK!

cmaxwellgsu
June 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Ga Southern! We're going back to what we do best. We've got a qb whose run the same system coming, and all those wr's will work as A-backs. I think we've got enough talent to hold over until Monken gets to do some more recruiting. So far, this staff seems to understand what they need to get this current roster doing to win. On the other side we've got some experience, and Brent Russell is going to destroy opposing linemen with our new scheme.

achrist70
June 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Illinois State will be the most improved (of the teams in the top half of the conference) in the Valley... Glad we play them at home!

The fact that they have to go to Brookings and Cedar Falls could present a little bit of a set back for a young team. But yes they should be the most improved.

ming01
June 9th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Illinois St. and NDSU

jmufan999
June 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
no question we improve.... IF DREW DUDZIK STAYS HEALTHY.

he almost led us to a win over FBS Maryland (lost in OT) before the injury very early in the year. many of our bad losses were with a freshman in his first start(s). with Dudzik back, there is no question we're a better team, even without Moats.

Ivytalk
June 9th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Dartmouth!xcoolx

RabidRabbit
June 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM
BLUEHENS....SHOOD IMPROVE IMMENSELY........7 GAMES ON TUBBY FIELD......WEST CHESTER/DUQUESNE INCLUDED......DEVLIN'S SECOND SEASON IN NEWARK......O-LINE GETS BETTERAH.....LOTS UH WIDE-OUTS......STRING O' RB'S..........GOOD DEFENSE...(NOT IN BILL & MARE/'NOVA'S LEAGUE)...BUT GOOD.........NO MARK DUNCAN......NO GOHENS.NET...TA DISRUPT....DUH FANDOM........IFIN' WE GET BAH DUH 'JACKS......&.....KEEP INJURIES DOWN....AN' IFIN' 'NOVA GOT FAT..ON DUH RUBBER CHICKEN CIRCUIT.....WELL MAYBEAH...JES' MAYBEAH..............xrolleyesx......BRAWK!

The Jacks vs Blue Hens will be a key game for both teams. Each team REALLY needs to win this game to have a good shot at the play-offs. Amazing that such an early game basically will determine who makes the play-offs. If Jacks don't win, I believe they will not make the play-offs, as I don't see them escaping SIU/UNI/NDSU road goames without at least one loss.

UD should be a MUCH better team than last year. VERY GOOD QB, with a coach that has a year under his belt, of making the team his. Still have that murderous CAA south schedule but lost a couple of relatively "breather" games with the demise of Northeastern and Hofstra FB.

In the MVFC, two teams will be improved from last season, IL St, and In St. In St. still will have more losses than wins, especially in MVFC action, but they'll be middle of the pack. IL St, if they beat the Jacks in Brookings, look out!

Bam
June 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
EKU for the coaches sake! A string on 31 consecutive winning seasons ended last year & that will NOT be accepted or tolerated.

MR. CHICKEN
June 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=RabidRabbit;1524673]The Jacks vs Blue Hens will be a key game for both teams. Each team REALLY needs to win this game to have a good shot at the play-offs. Amazing that such an early game basically will determine who makes the play-offs. If Jacks don't win, I believe they will not make the play-offs, as I don't see them escaping SIU/UNI/NDSU road goames without at least one loss.

UD should be a MUCH better team than last year. with a coach that has a year under his belt, of making the team his.

RABBIT....YA MIGHT BE CONFUSIN' DELAWARE WHIFF RICHMOND....OR SOMEONE.....KEELER HAS BEEN OURAH HEAD MAN....SINCE 2001...AH BELIEVE....BLUEBIRDS ARE IN DUH SAME BOAT...AS YER 'JACKS......WE DON'T GET BAH YA'S.....COOD START UH DOMINO EFFECT.....AGIN' OURAH SOUFF SKED........HOPPY TRAILS....B'RER BUNNY....:)....AWK!

ngineer
June 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM

That's embarrassing....:o

ngineer
June 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Lehigh must improve. With 17 starters returning and a lot of energy surrounding the return of Dave Cecchini as OC, expectations are up. After three losing seasons (5-6, 5-6, 4-7), any thing less than a winning record could spell the end for Coen. Lehigh, even in sports, is not 'in' to consistent mediocrity. Even a 6-5 season will not sit well. Lehigh had better be in the hunt for the PL championship come mid-November.

bluehenbillk
June 9th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Agreed, with 7 home games, and no UNH on the slate the Blue Hens have the easiest schedule in the CAA, no FBS game either. Devlin in his 2nd year should really stand out as one of the best players in the country, USA Today already has him as a 1st round NFL pick. The Hens will be improved no doubt, by how much will be dictated by OL & DL play.

401ks
June 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM

xeyebrowx

Yes, a loss (or even an "unconvincing" win) in the Duquesne game will be embarrassing to many Delaware fans. ngineer, you can ask the folks over at Lafayette how they feel after losing to Duquesne. They've lost to Duquesne three times in three games. And those losses came when Duquesne was non-scholarship!

As a Duquesne supporter I accept the fact that Duquesne will be an underdog in the game at Delaware, and for good reasons. However, in the spirit of this thread I must report that Duquesne will be significantly improved over 2009.

In case anyone at Delaware (or anywhere else) cares to learn a little bit about the Duquesne football program, here is the link to the Duquesne 2010 Preseason Prospectus:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/10_Prospectus.pdf

xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
June 9th, 2010, 10:32 PM

C'MON NGINEER..........DUH BLUEBIRDS.............HAVE HAD SOME O' DUH TUFFEST SKEDS...........IN I-AA LAND..LATELY..........CAN'T WE GET UH DAY OFF..................LIKE MONTANA........xconfusedx.....BRAWK!!

YoUDeeMan
June 9th, 2010, 10:41 PM
The Jacks vs Blue Hens will be a key game for both teams. Each team REALLY needs to win this game to have a good shot at the play-offs. Amazing that such an early game basically will determine who makes the play-offs. If Jacks don't win, I believe they will not make the play-offs, as I don't see them escaping SIU/UNI/NDSU road goames without at least one loss.

UD should be a MUCH better team than last year. with a coach that has a year under his belt, of making the team his.

RABBIT....YA MIGHT BE CONFUSIN' DELAWARE WHIFF RICHMOND....OR SOMEONE.....KEELER HAS BEEN OURAH HEAD MAN....SINCE 2001...AH BELIEVE....BLUEBIRDS ARE IN DUH SAME BOAT...AS YER 'JACKS......WE DON'T GET BAH YA'S.....COOD START UH DOMINO EFFECT.....AGIN' OURAH SOUFF SKED........HOPPY TRAILS....B'RER BUNNY....:)....AWK!

I believe he was referring to our new OC. xnodx

Second year...we will see increased production as the team understands the new offense.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM
no question we improve.... IF DREW DUDZIK STAYS HEALTHY.

he almost led us to a win over FBS Maryland (lost in OT) before the injury very early in the year. many of our bad losses were with a freshman in his first start(s). with Dudzik back, there is no question we're a better team, even without Moats.

Why are you convinced that JMU will be better?

I'm not saying I disagree, but need to be educated. I just don't understand how you withstand the losses of Moats and Daniels (and the D-lineman that went down in Spring Ball) ... several O-linemen and playmakers, Mcgee in the return game ... and think you'll be that much better.

ngineer
June 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
xeyebrowx

Yes, a loss (or even an "unconvincing" win) in the Duquesne game will be embarrassing to many Delaware fans. ngineer, you can ask the folks over at Lafayette how they feel after losing to Duquesne. They've lost to Duquesne three times in three games. And those losses came when Duquesne was non-scholarship!

As a Duquesne supporter I accept the fact that Duquesne will be an underdog in the game at Delaware, and for good reasons. However, in the spirit of this thread I must report that Duquesne will be significantly improved over 2009.

In case anyone at Delaware (or anywhere else) cares to learn a little bit about the Duquesne football program, here is the link to the Duquesne 2010 Preseason Prospectus:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/10_Prospectus.pdf

xthumbsupx

I can accept Delaware playing West Chester OR Duquesne in any season...but not both in the same season. I also know that Duquesne is an improved program and has given some of our PL bretheran more than they could handle at times as you note Lafayette and as I note, Bucknell, over the years. While I think it is great for Duquesne to get such a game against a 'national' power, because it is always good to stretch oneself against top competiton, Duquesne is still a program with an arm tied behind its back when trying to compete with a school such as Delaware. My criticism was of Delaware scheduling 'down' with two schools that it should beat by at least 28 points. Though it came across as a slight to Duquesne, it was not meant in that spirit.xpeacex

OL FU
June 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM
A little off the topic and taking into consideration threads other than this one, the comments certainly make me look forward to the Colgate Furman meeting early in September. Colgate seems to be the favorite in the PL and Furman, at least by the fans, is expected to be two or three in the SoCon. Both teams should be better. Very important game early in the season for two similar schools from very different conferences. xthumbsupx

Dignan
June 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I'm not saying I disagree, but need to be educated. I just don't understand how you withstand the losses of Moats and Daniels (and the D-lineman that went down in Spring Ball) ... several O-linemen and playmakers, Mcgee in the return game ... and think you'll be that much better.

I agree with the idea that JMU will be better merely because of the stability at the QB position. I honestly don't know who will step in to replace Moats and Daniels, but Mickey tends to recruit pretty well so I'm sure there are guys waiting in the wings. Last year's difficulties I attribute mostly to the weirdness going on with the QB position.

Silenoz
June 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Very doubtful UM will/can

We'd have to go 15-0 and win the championship. Of course if anyone in the country goes undefeated next year it will probably be us, but still not likely. Entirely new coaching staff, lost most of our OL, one of our greatest players in program history in Mariani, NFL draftee Shillinger, etc. I'll predict we go 14-1 again (I predict this every year, seems to work out).

Silenoz
June 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I do think that Montana State will be greatly improved this year and a contender. They have a true freshman quarterback that may be the starter sooner rather than later, which could finally get their offense going under the new co-ordinator. With all of their returning starters there really is no excuse for them to miss the playoffs again, especially since they only have one FBS game and it's against Wazzu

Northern Arizona may improve, but I'm getting tired of saying that every year.

jcmanson
June 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Liberty - we've got everyone back.

jmufan999
June 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM

well, i only said we'd be better... even if it's only 1%, that's still better. :)

for the o-line, it's rare that you return 5 out of 5, so you're almost always going to have at least one new o-lineman. we've consistently had an EXCELLENT o-line dating back to 2004, guys just step up. i don't know how they do it or who is responsible, but i'm assuming it's a mixture of recruiting and good coaching. i don't worry about them, they're solid every year.

the biggest thing is the QB position... the most important position in sports. When Dudzik has been healthy, he has been significantly better than Thorpe. i think he is faster than Landers AND Thorpe, but people don't expect that because he's white. watch him run around in the second half of the Montana game and tell me he's not faster than Rodney. Bigger? No. Faster? Yes. people make the same assumptions about Toby Gerhart, but when you watch him on youtube, he's frequently running past or away from DB's. i digress.

yes, Moats will hurt... a lot. you don't replace a player that dominant. Jordan Stanton is a young kid who could provide some interior pass rush, maybe that will free up someone on the outside. Scotty had good yardage last year, but had 0 return TD's all year. so it's not like he was making plays like he was in 2008. he was also a liability in coverage. Dae'Quann Scott is a RS Freshman who could step into that role. he's a HS spread option QB with some good speed.

but the biggest thing is the QB... everyone loses players every year, and guys just have to step up. but if you had seen the difference between Thorpe and Dudzik... it's like night and day. Drew looked like a poised "veteran" who was ready for his chance... Thorpe looked like a young, athletic, but confused kid who didn't know where to go with the ball.

MSUBear42
June 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Agreed... They're going to be VERY good. I see them finishing 1st or 2nd. I also see MSU being MUCH improve with the offensive weapons we brought in at WR and even more weapons on defense.

UncleSam
June 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM

10-13 over the past two seasons...... is embarrassing. xmadx

jmufan999
June 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
but the biggest thing is the QB... everyone loses players every year, and guys just have to step up. but if you had seen the difference between Thorpe and Dudzik... it's like night and day.

yes, it's lame to quote oneself, but i'm doing it anyway. :)

and the other thought i'm having is that we went on a 4 game win streak to end the year... with Thorpe. who knows what would have happened if Dudzik would have been the man all year. we'll never know.

crossing my fingers he can stay healthy. time will tell.

URMite
June 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
well, i only said we'd be better... even if it's only 1%, that's still better. :)

for the o-line, it's rare that you return 5 out of 5, so you're almost always going to have at least one new o-lineman. we've consistently had an EXCELLENT o-line dating back to 2004, guys just step up. i don't know how they do it or who is responsible, but i'm assuming it's a mixture of recruiting and good coaching. i don't worry about them, they're solid every year.

the biggest thing is the QB position... the most important position in sports. When Dudzik has been healthy, he has been significantly better than Thorpe. i think he is faster than Landers AND Thorpe, but people don't expect that because he's white. watch him run around in the second half of the Montana game and tell me he's not faster than Rodney. Bigger? No. Faster? Yes. people make the same assumptions about Toby Gerhart, but when you watch him on youtube, he's frequently running past or away from DB's. i digress.

yes, Moats will hurt... a lot. you don't replace a player that dominant. Jordan Stanton is a young kid who could provide some interior pass rush, maybe that will free up someone on the outside. Scotty had good yardage last year, but had 0 return TD's all year. so it's not like he was making plays like he was in 2008. he was also a liability in coverage. Dae'Quann Scott is a RS Freshman who could step into that role. he's a HS spread option QB with some good speed.

but the biggest thing is the QB... everyone loses players every year, and guys just have to step up. but if you had seen the difference between Thorpe and Dudzik... it's like night and day. Drew looked like a poised "veteran" who was ready for his chance... Thorpe looked like a young, athletic, but confused kid who didn't know where to go with the ball.

Yes UR knows Dae'Quann Scott ...xwhistlex

Anyway, I originally started this thread because it seemed like so many of the top teams from last year (besides Nova) seemed to have more losses and/or question marks than usual. Now it seems only the top 15-20, and most of the next 15-20 are returning a lot, so there could be tremendous parity (especially if Szscur leaves...).

jmufan999
June 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Yes UR knows Dae'Quann Scott ...xwhistlex

haha, i forgot about that. :)

trade you Scott for McBride......???????

(this is where you laugh in my face)

mcveyrl
June 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Well, I'm not convinced Dudzik can stay healthy all year, but even if he can't Thorpe was MUCH improved from the first of the year to the last, so we are better at QB regardless. I also think that our RB situation will be improved over last year with those guys getting more experience. I don't think losses on the OL will be that bad. Hopefully Theo Sherman will come up big for us.

On defense we have obvious question marks, but I think that we will be solid and deep at LB for the first time in a long time. I also think that Jakarie Jackson, Griff Yancey and Jon Williams are going to be solid safeties for us and we shouldn't run the risk of Yancey having to go back over to offense with the depth at RB.

I think there's a good chance we'll be improved and I hope that reflects in the record. Of course, there's always a chance that we fall completely apart, a la 2009.

TheBisonator
June 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
NDSU HAS to improve. If they don't, then....

jmufan999
June 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I also think that Jakarie Jackson, Griff Yancey and Jon Williams are going to be solid safeties for us and we shouldn't run the risk of Yancey having to go back over to offense with the depth at RB.

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure they already moved Yancey back to RB earlier this spring.

Brad82
June 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Rhode Island will improve.

NDB
June 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
NDSU will not do worse.

You heard it hear first.

Bogus Megapardus
June 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
A little off the topic and taking into consideration threads other than this one, the comments certainly make me look forward to the Colgate Furman meeting early in September. Colgate seems to be the favorite in the PL and Furman, at least by the fans, is expected to be two or three in the SoCon. Both teams should be better. Very important game early in the season for two similar schools from very different conferences.

Different conferences, yes, but the colleges themselves are more alike than one might think. The Furman-Colgate game is is one I'm really looking forward to. I really hope that the cable/satellite/network folks broadcast this so that as many as possible can watch. This is real college football IMHO.

I might even abandon my firmly-entrenched PL bias and wear purple that day.

crusader11
June 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM

I can lend you some purple if you'd like.

ngineer
June 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
A little off track, but I find it a little strange how similar the majority of the PL schools' colors are: Colgate, Lafayette, and Fordham are maroon. Holy Cross is purple and Lehigh's brown is not that far off from the maroon when you look at the banners. Besides that, the remaining schools, except one, are blue: Georgetown, Bucknell, American and Navy. Army has black. Carry on with the nothingness of it all....;)

dakotadan
June 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
North Dakota was so bi-polar last season. We never knew what team was going to show up. But there were a few times that they showed alot of promise. If the coaches can get some consistency out of the guys we will definately be much improved.

Redbirdz
June 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Jacksonville State should do better than its 8-3 record from last year.

lionsrking2
June 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Southeastern Louisiana should be much improved with the bulk of our key players returning, plus additions...schedule is tough with two FBS opponents, but both are winnable...barring injuries and/or other unforeseen circumstances, I like our chances in the SLC this fall.

darell1976
June 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
North Dakota was so bi-polar last season. We never knew what team was going to show up. But there were a few times that they showed alot of promise. If the coaches can get some consistency out of the guys we will definately be much improved.

Tough road schedule will be the key to their season if they can play great on the road (non FBS games) their season should be good but if we can't win on the road then I say no more than 4 wins.

OL FU
June 17th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Good choicexthumbsupx

McNeese75
June 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I am not sure McNeese will improve on a 9-3 2009 season but with the new transfer QB and the complete D coming back they should be competitive.

Biggest conference game for the team will be in Hammond and the Cowboys will be the underdogs in that one. I do however predict that SFA will lose when they vist the Cowboys this year. xnodx

UD77
June 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Almost as much as playing a full PL schedule every year.:D

Big Al
June 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
UNI is such a wild-card this year that it's hard to say. Last year's team was stacked with talent and I feel they underperformed, although I know many teams would be happy with a 7-5 record.

While a lot of the talent is gone, I hope maybe some of the soft-headedness is gone, as well.

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
NCA&T, seriously.
xwhistlex