PDA

View Full Version : A Dream Addition to Your Conference

WileECoyote06
June 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
This spun off of a thread on Onnidan.com; in which fans were discussing a 14th member for the MEAC.

If you could pick an FCS school to join your conference; considering culture, geography, etc. Who would you pick?

On Onnidan, a case was presented for Georgia State to join the MEAC. And after reading the arguments, it actually made perfect sense (besides the differences in the sports offerings). xnodx

What do yall think?

Thundar
June 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Well we all know the WAC wants usxlolxxlolxxlolx

SaintDK10
June 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
This spun off of a thread on Onnidan.com; in which fans were discussing a 14th member for the MEAC.

If you could pick an FCS school to join your conference; considering culture, geography, etc. Who would you pick?

On Onnidan, a case was presented for Georgia State to join the MEAC. And after reading the arguments, it actually made perfect sense (besides the differences in the sports offerings). xnodx

What do yall think?
Uhhh, I'm sorry... could you explain to me how it would make sense for GSU, a public, non-HBCU university with 30,000+ students, to join a conference comprised of HBCUs?

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
That's easy - a Patriot League dream conference would include Richmond, UNH, Villanova and W&M. Don't get your undies in a bunch, CAA fans - I know it won't happen. But one can dream . . . .

bkrownd
June 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'd like to see a competent program at URI.

danefan
June 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Replacing everyone in the NEC with everyone in the CAA + Stony Brook.

Redbird Ray
June 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Wichita State restoring their football program, joinging the MVFC, then giving the MVFC at least 5 FBS ready members to make an FBS conference with the likes of Tulsa, Arkansas State, Northern Illinois, North Texas and Texas State.

Oh, and the five MVFC members that are capable of going FBS now would include Missouri State, North Dakota State, Illinois State and Southern Illinois.

I guess my short answer is still Wichita State.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Cal Poly, UC Davis and SUU to the Big Sky to create the Sky 12, and split the conference into E/W or N/S divisions like the CAA.

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Cal Poly, UC Davis and SUU to the Big Sky to create the Sky 12, and split the conference into E/W or N/S divisions like the CAA.

This is a good idea.

slostang
June 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM

That works for me. xnodx

Mattymc727
June 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
App State joining the CAA, as if it wasnt competitive enough!

WileECoyote06
June 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Uhhh, I'm sorry... could you explain to me how it would make sense for GSU, a public, non-HBCU university with 30,000+ students, to join a conference comprised of HBCUs?

Going forward, the meac would be dumb to limit itself to just hbcus. The ciaa already proved it could work with the addition of chowan and blended conferences have exisTed in NAIA for years.

As far the vision presented, the addition of gsu to the MEAC would give us that coveted television market of Atlanta. In addition, with the number of hbcu fans in Atlanta you all could make a killing from football game receipts. You would have five conference rivals within a five hour drive and the southern meac schools travel pretty well.

Add to that the band experience and gsu could average 25,000 a conference game.

Twentysix
June 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Id probably add the vikings to the MVFC.

Deal with it.

Actually

Morehead state(not Minnesota), cause it would give folks in Fargo a good laugh.

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
App State joining the CAA, as if it wasnt competitive enough!

That would be scary.

Redwyn
June 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hofstra football coming back? SBU's lonely with no rival :(

Squealofthepig
June 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
That works for me. xnodx

Also in favor of the UC Davis/Cal Poly/SUU to Big Sky (then north/south or east/west it). We play each other a lot anyway.

But going back to the OP... Boise State dropping back to FCS and rejoining the Big Sky. Not for any real academic/sports reason, just because it'd be fun to watch someone drop back down to FCS, and Idaho State is, of course, a natural fit to (re) join the Big Sky.

SaintDK10
June 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Going forward, the meac would be dumb to limit itself to just hbcus. The ciaa already proved it could work with the addition of chowan and blended conferences have exisTed in NAIA for years.

As far the vision presented, the addition of gsu to the MEAC would give us that coveted television market of Atlanta. In addition, with the number of hbcu fans in Atlanta you all could make a killing from football game receipts. You would have five conference rivals within a five hour drive and the southern meac schools travel pretty well.

Add to that the band experience and gsu could average 25,000 a conference game.
I see, so this more in terms of making sense for MEAC, not necessarily GSU. If we wanted to stay FSC, then the best solution for us would be to go to SoCon. All schools close by, with plenty of alumni for making a killing on game receipts, and the GSU/GSU rivalry would be one of the best, not just in FCS, but all of college football. I have no doubt it would be the highest attended game in FCS football if Eagles came to the Dome.

msusig
June 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM

What do yall think?

The Mega-Southland Conference

East
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Jacksonville State
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Central Arkansas
Richmond
Florida A&M

West
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Stephen F Austin
McNeese State
Lamar
Texas State
Nicholls State
Southeastern LA

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The Mega-Southland Conference

Only one private university?

GSUsTALON
June 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I see, so this more in terms of making sense for MEAC, not necessarily GSU. If we wanted to stay FSC, then the best solution for us would be to go to SoCon. All schools close by, with plenty of alumni for making a killing on game receipts, and the GSU/GSU rivalry would be one of the best, not just in FCS, but all of college football. I have no doubt it would be the highest attended game in FCS football if Eagles came to the Dome.

Add GaState, FAMU & severial others to the SoCon so they would garner 2 auto bids. Saint's not the sharpest tool in the shead but the battle for the "TRUE GSU" would put 50k in the Ga. Dome.

PhoenixSupreme
June 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia to the SoCon... dream addition

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Liberty and Coastal Carolina go to the SoCon

Jackman
June 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'd like to see St. Bonaventure join the CAA. In all sports.

GSUsTALON
June 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Most of the SEC was in the SoCon at one time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Conference

PhoenixSupreme
June 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Yea, I know...but I wish we could relive some of those days again

JaxSinfonian
June 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Only one private university?

Swap Samford for Central Arkansas, perhaps?

If not them, then North Alabama, once they move up. Doesn't solve your private school issue, but it does make the conference more comfortable for Jax State.

I like it. Where do we sign?

WestCoastAggie
June 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia to the SoCon... dream addition

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Liberty and Coastal Carolina go to the SoCon
Well Ala, Tenn & UGA were SoCon back in the day. WAY BACK.

WestCoastAggie
June 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM

The "Real GSU" Classic could and should happen yearly.

But anywho, GSU could also work in the MEAC due to potential savings in travel and since Ga. State has a large black student & alumni population, they would definitely spend $$$ on seeing HBCU's in the dorm.

And with the resources that you all have, y'all could dominate and actually force schools to improve the way they fund their programs in order to compete.

Either way, I hope that A&T and GSU hook-up on the gridiron in the not too distant future.

WestCoastAggie
June 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Can't forget about the OVC:

Get back Western KY and Louisville and add Southern Ill.

WileECoyote06
June 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
The "Real GSU" Classic could and should happen yearly.

But anywho, GSU could also work in the MEAC due to potential savings in travel and since Ga. State has a large black student & alumni population, they would definitely spend $$$ on seeing HBCU's in the dorm.

And with the resources that you all have, y'all could dominate and actually force schools to improve the way they fund their programs in order to compete.

Either way, I hope that A&T and GSU hook-up on the gridiron in the not too distant future.

We play em in October. . .

techstate
June 8th, 2010, 12:27 AM

I think this is a great idea, and a good move before anyone moves up. xhurrayx

crusader11
June 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Bring in William and Mary, Richmond, and Villanova.

JALMOND
June 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM
For this long time follower of the Big Sky, I'd like to see the conference go to 12 teams. Not adding Poly, Davis and S Utah, but the old members (Boise, Idaho and Nevada).

If I can only dream...

AggieFinn
June 8th, 2010, 02:24 AM
The Big Sky/Great West merge might be the only hope left for the Great West schools. USD and UND are bound to move elsewhere, leaving SUU, UCD and Poly the odd ones out.

Big Sky North:
Portland State
Montana
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana State
Weber State

Big Sky South:
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Sac State
Northern Arizona

bonarae
June 8th, 2010, 04:56 AM
The Ivy League will forever stick to eight members, no matter what. :(

Screamin_Eagle174
June 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
The Big Sky/Great West merge might be the only hope left for the Great West schools. USD and UND are bound to move elsewhere, leaving SUU, UCD and Poly the odd ones out.

Big Sky North:
Portland State
Montana
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana State
Weber State

Big Sky South:
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Sac State
Northern Arizona

xnodx

busybee14
June 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Can't forget about the OVC:

Get back Western KY and Louisville and add Southern Ill.

Add UT Chatt,Southern Ill & North Ala (Would make a good head to head with JSU)and have a 12 team OVC. With North and South divisions.
If UNA dosent want in pull up Lindenwood (naia) They have lots of $$$,Great facilities and prox works.
Carson -Newman also could be in the mix

And since MSU plays Louisville every couple of years,lets leave them alone and continue to enjoy the payday!

busybee14
June 8th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Add GaState, FAMU & severial others to the SoCon so they would garner 2 auto bids. Saint's not the sharpest tool in the shead but the battle for the "TRUE GSU" would put 50k in the Ga. Dome.

Florida needs another FCS school. I would say bring Jacksonville U into the SoCon. Get a nice rival in GaSouthern.Ga State should be in the Socon ,so should Coastal Carolina.

Move the Citadel to the Big South. The pre mentioned Carson -Newman would be a good pull up and fit right in with GWU & Liberty in a new big South

Move Stonybrook into the CAA

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I think a 12 team SoCon would be fun. Pick from Ga State, Jacksonville State, and Coastal Carolina. All three would end up being natural rivals with another conference school.

LeadBolt
June 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM

So were the most of the schools in the ACC and you could beat several of them...

Pard94
June 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM
That's easy - a Patriot League dream conference would include Richmond, UNH, Villanova and W&M. Don't get your undies in a bunch, CAA fans - I know it won't happen. But one can dream . . . .

I second those choices with the emphasis on W&M. And as long as we are dreaming I've always liked the idea of Johns Hopkins moving up in football and joining the Patriot League in all sports. Then we'd have a really sweet football league as well as pretty **** impressive lacrosse league as well.

ngineer
June 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Howabout Army and Navy joining their PL brothers in football as with all other sports? Won't happen, but it's a dream.

Sader87
June 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Howabout Army and Navy joining their PL brothers in football as with all other sports? Won't happen, but it's a dream.

Given Navy's latest travails off the field and Army's continued struggles in the FBS world, I don't think this is too far off from happening relatively soon.

jmufan999
June 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
well it would probably be to take out the strongest CAA program and put in the weakest program in the country... yes you'd lose a little prestige, but you'd gain an extra win pretty much every year. an extra win could mean the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs. i'll take the extra win.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'd like to see St. Bonaventure join the CAA. In all sports.

You're supposed to put some sort of smilie that denotes sarcasm/tongue in cheek so the folks out West and down South understand. ;) :p

Seriously, shouldn't the Bonnies be in a conference with their Western NY Parochial brothers Niagara and Canisius? Wrong thread, but Duquesne and St. Bonaventure to the MAAC!!!! :D xwhistlex xwhistlex

LeadBolt
June 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Army and Navy would be interesting adds to the CAA. Historically they have had rivalries with several of the CAA schools and they fit within the conference footprint.

Silenoz
June 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Umm... North Dakota State?

I mean we already play Poly every year as is...

PhoenixPhan06
June 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
If we're really dreaming, I'd like to see ECU added back to the SoCon. A more realistic dream move would be either Richmond, W&M, Coastal Carolina, or Jacksonville St.

UNIFanSince1983
June 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Wichita State, Creighton, Bradley, Drake, and Evansville...

LeadBolt
June 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM
If we're really dreaming, I'd like to see ECU added back to the SoCon. A more realistic dream move would be either Richmond, W&M, Coastal Carolina, or Jacksonville St.

Interesting. Even though Richmond and William and Mary were members of the Southern Conference longer than most of the current members, they have few historical rivals left in Sou. Con. other than Furman, The Citadel and Davidson.

It would also seem that they tend to recruit from geographic areas outside the current conference foot print where they would lose exposure by re-joining the Sou Con, even though it might otherwise seem to make sense.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Yea, I know...but I wish we could relive some of those days again

I would really like to know why they all left. Could anyone gives us a history of the SoCon? Was there some sort of internal politics that caused the exodus of teams from the SoCon into the forming the SEC and later the ACC?

I've looked all over the internet but can not find anything discussing this in any kind of detail. Just the mentioning of former teams who all left seemingly, suddenly, out of the blue.

jmufan999
June 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
they have few historical rivals left in Sou. Con. other than Furman, The Citadel and Davidson.

Davidson is in the Pioneer League.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams?type=division&division=I-AA

Carry on. :)

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I would really like to know why they all left. Could anyone gives us a history of the SoCon? Was there some sort of internal politics that caused the exodus of teams from the SoCon into the forming the SEC and later the ACC?

I've looked all over the internet but can not find anything discussing this in any kind of detail. Just the mentioning of former teams who all left seemingly, suddenly, out of the blue.

I think but am not certain that it is the old historical struggle in the Socon (except for the fact that the differences then were much more pronouced than they are today). Large schools with larger budgets and different goals in a conference with small schools and smaller budgets. With regard to the establishment of the SEC you can add the fact that the SoCon had 20+ members prior to the SEC schools leaving. Just too large. By the time the 50's came around, big time sports versus cost containment sports had entered the picture. The amount of resources available to a UNC or Clemson or USC made the goals and abilities incompatible with a school like Furman or The Citadel.

We hear the argument today and there is some validity to it but much less than people think. For example, ASU, I think, is the largest school in the conference and while they don't dominate every sport, they have won the commissioners cup, the overall championship for all men's sports, something like 30 times. Their size and the resources allocated to sports is one of the reasons. On the other hand Georgia Southern rarely finishes in the top half of the commissioner's cup standings. And While they are the second largest school in the SoCon, the resources are not allocated at the same level as ASU even to the extent that they don't field teams in every SoCon Sport (that lack of participation is one of the reasons that GSU doesn't get much higher than the lower tier in this competition.

I am sure there are other reasons but if you think about the evolution of college sports size and resources of the individual insitutions mean a lot. The one school that seems to break the mold would be Wake which is small, but obviously spends a lot more dough on sports than the average current SoCon member.

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
While not absolutely accurate a good job by a GSU fan detailing the history of the teams in the SoCon.

http://printereagle.younce.net/history/socontimeline.html

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Interesting. Even though Richmond and William and Mary were members of the Southern Conference longer than most of the current members, they have few historical rivals left in Sou. Con. other than Furman, The Citadel and Davidson.

It would also seem that they tend to recruit from geographic areas outside the current conference foot print where they would lose exposure by re-joining the Sou Con, even though it might otherwise seem to make sense.

I'd like to see Richmond and William and Mary in the SoCon but I agree with you. as long as the southern portion of CAA stays in tact there is no reason for that to happen.

I like the idea of CCU and South Carolina St. South Carolina St. might be a possibility if MEAC decides to go to the bowl game between the MEAC and SWAC. My guess is that CCU would be interested even though some of their fans are not as energized about the move as they used to be. But I don't see anything happening unless we lose some members and if we do it will be the larger schools which would probably make the SoCon less attractive to both schools.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I think but am not certain that it is the old historical struggle in the Socon (except for the fact that the differences then were much more pronouced than they are today). Large schools with larger budgets and different goals in a conference with small schools and smaller budgets. With regard to the establishment of the SEC you can add the fact that the SoCon had 20+ members prior to the SEC schools leaving. Just too large. By the time the 50's came around, big time sports versus cost containment sports had entered the picture. The amount of resources available to a UNC or Clemson or USC made the goals and abilities incompatible with a school like Furman or The Citadel.

We hear the argument today and there is some validity to it but much less than people think. For example, ASU, I think, is the largest school in the conference and while they don't dominate every sport, they have won the commissioners cup, the overall championship for all men's sports, something like 30 times. Their size and the resources allocated to sports is one of the reasons. On the other hand Georgia Southern rarely finishes in the top half of the commissioner's cup standings. And While they are the second largest school in the SoCon, the resources are not allocated at the same level as ASU even to the extent that they don't field teams in every SoCon Sport (that lack of participation is one of the reasons that GSU doesn't get much higher than the lower tier in this competition.

I am sure there are other reasons but if you think about the evolution of college sports size and resources of the individual insitutions mean a lot. The one school that seems to break the mold would be Wake which is small, but obviously spends a lot more dough on sports than the average current SoCon member.

While not absolutely accurate a good job by a GSU fan detailing the history of the teams in the SoCon.

Thank you for the link. I guess it is the years of 1932 and 1953 that I am most interested. Wondering what kind of dynamics went on in those meetings. Your probably right it probably came down to issues like travel costs (especially at the beginning of the Great Depression), academic peers, and overall competitiveness.

It is kind of like today with all of the conference shuffling, there must have been deals and alliances made with allegiances broken. The only difference is today, the media is all over it - whereas back then it may have been more secretive. One day I might have the time to dig through some old archives or something and get a real understanding of what went down.

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Thank you for the link. I guess it is the years of 1932 and 1953 that I am most interested. Wondering what kind of dynamics went on in those meetings. Your probably right it probably came down to issues like travel costs (especially at the beginning of the Great Depression), academic peers, and overall competitiveness.

It is kind of like today with all of the conference shuffling, there must have been deals and alliances made with allegiances broken. The only difference is today, the media is all over it - whereas back then it may have been more secretive. One day I might have the time to dig through some old archives or something and get a real understanding of what went down.

If you look at the list of schools that were members and consider the different funding sources and capabilities and then take into consideration the different purposes of the schools, inferences can easily be drawn from that. However, if you find out is was something different, I am all earsxnodx

4th and What?
June 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Davidson is in the Pioneer League.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams?type=division&division=I-AA

Carry on. :)

Davidson is a member of the Socon in all sports except football, swimming, lacrosse, and field hockey. I would assume he was referring to all sports instead of just football.

LeadBolt
June 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Great Link! I had missed the note about Davidson rejoining the Sou. Conf. in all sports except football as was pointed out earlier in this thread by JMUFAN999.

The only insights I have into the conference dynamics, was of size of schools and the size of the conference. W&M joined in 1936 after the SEC schools left and smaller schools were welcomed.

Interestingly enough, I have it on very reliable authority that Dr. Paschall, President of W&M from 1960-1971 and a native of NC had the skids greased for W&M to join the ACC in 1971 to replace USC, whose departure had been telegraphed for sometime, and that his successor, Dr. Graves did not follow through.

As improbable as this sounds now, W&M had just opened a new Basketball facility on a par with ACC arenas of the day (vs. UNC), and the football facilities in the ACC in 1971 were not of the size and importance they are today.

GeauxLions94
June 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Big Sky North:
Portland State
Montana
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana State
Weber State

Big Sky South:
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Sac State
Northern Arizona

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx and I like someone's previous post of calling it the Sky 12

URMite
June 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Only thing I noticed that seemed odd was W&M is no longer in the SoCon but never left. xlolx

LeadBolt
June 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Only thing I noticed that seemed odd was W&M is no longer in the SoCon but never left. xlolx

We're on double secret probation...

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I noticed that too. But I did say it wasn't absolutely accuratexsmiley_wix

GATA
June 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM

That would be really fun. It would be a big hit locally for sure. I agree that G. State being in the Socon with G. Southern and the rest of the carolina schools would make more sense (and be cheaper) for ya'll.

OL FU
June 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
The only insights I have into the conference dynamics, was of size of schools and the size of the conference. W&M joined in 1936 after the SEC schools left and smaller schools were welcomed.

Yeah I have to revise my comment on the SEC Schools leaving. There really wasn't that much difference in the size of the institutions prior to the SEC split. Probably had more to do with the number of members and geography.

bosshogg
June 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
GSU can have our spot in the MEAC. We want out! SOCON/Big South.....contact our president/board of trustees ASAP

WileECoyote06
June 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
GSU can have our spot in the MEAC. We want out! SOCON/Big South.....contact our president/board of trustees ASAP

Hey if they institute this Legacy Bowl, we want out too. We'll add soccer! We promise! xmadx

Mikeyosef
June 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Bosshogg, we'd love to have you in the SoCon...Come on over!

wapiti
June 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Idaho and Wyoming drop to FCS and join the Big Sky 12 (making it Big Sky 14).

bjtheflamesfan
June 10th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Id say UNC Charlotte, FLorida A&M, South Carolina State, Grambling, and Georgia Southern, split into two divisions

superman7515
June 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hmm... Simply my humble opinion... Morgan State with it's 30k seat stadium and location would be okay, Coastal Carolina of course has much speculation, Holy Cross (or Albany/Fordham with a stadium expansion) wouldn't be a bad addition with Hofstra and Northeastern bailing and needing some northern schools to help the schedules for UMass, URI, UNH, etc.

zilla
June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hmm... Simply my humble opinion... Morgan State with it's 30k seat stadium and location would be okay, Coastal Carolina of course has much speculation, Holy Cross (or Albany/Fordham with a stadium expansion) wouldn't be a bad addition with Hofstra and Northeastern bailing and needing some northern schools to help the schedules for UMass, URI, UNH, etc.

Coastal to the CAA??? Really? xconfusedx

I haven't heard any speculation. Care to elaborate?

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM

Where does Morgan State have a 30,000 seat stadium?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Stadium_(Morgan_State)

WileECoyote06
June 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM

No where. I assume he meant Norfolk State.

superman7515
June 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Lol. That's outstanding. My apologies as yes I did mean Norfolk State. I was looking at the conference lineups and obviously got lines crossed as I was looking at one and typing another.

whoanellie
June 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM
looking back it now seems that the Best move the SoCon made was adding Elon when VMI could no longer compete. Initially there were some challenges but Elon grew to meet them and now has to be considered a thriving contributing member for such a prestigious group of institutions.

WUTNDITWAA
June 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
looking back it now seems that the Best move the SoCon made was adding Elon when VMI could no longer compete. Initially there were some challenges but Elon grew to meet them and now has to be considered a thriving contributing member for such a prestigious group of institutions.

xhomerx

AppMan
June 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM
"looking back it now seems that the Best move the SoCon made was adding Elon when VMI could no longer compete. Initially there were some challenges but Elon grew to meet them and now has to be considered a thriving contributing member for such a prestigious group of institutions.'

I disagree. The SoCon should have gone after Jax State. With four schools already in NC and three in SC the direction should have been South. BTW, Elon has improved because of the SoCon. No disrespect intended to the Big South, but if you guys were still in that league you would not be attracting better players and your program not a factor in the FCS big picture.

I'd like to see Presbyterian admitted to the SoCon.... the day after we leave!

downbythebeach
June 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'd like to see all the PA teams in one conference

Lehigh
Lafayette
Penn
Villanova
Bucknell
Robert Morris
Saint Francis
Duquesne

WileECoyote06
June 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I'd like to see all the PA teams in one conference

Lehigh
Lafayette
Penn
Villanova
Bucknell
Robert Morris
Saint Francis
Duquesne

What about California, IUP, and Bloomsburg? xsmiley_wix

Ivytalk
June 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Swarthmore!:D

superman7515
June 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The Millersville Marauders can move up too.

DaBigBlue
June 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I would like to see Charlotte come to the CAA for all sports. Very similar profile to ODU.

Appaholic
June 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
VMI....this would give citadel another "gimme" victory in addition to the Western Car....oh, wait.....nevermind.....

Appaholic
June 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
But seriously, EKU, South Carolina St or JMU...

Aho_Old_Guy
June 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
On behalf of the SoCon (in the interest of improving 'relations') I hereby extend an offer to Meredith College.

Them, and UNCC (primarily for their comedic interest). Everyone knows they are better than the rest of us.

ThompsonThe
June 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Two GSU's in the SoCon? No way!
If we did that, would have to add Arkansas State or Alabama State to have two ASU's
Then get University of Florida to join and change their name to Florida University so we could have two FU's.
The poss. are endless.

Worst decision of the SoCon? Inviting Elon
2nd worst decision: accepting Elon
3rd worst: keeping them
Yeah, we love those (Fighting Christians) flapping Phoenix
Just kidding.....kind of EU

UCABEARS75
June 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
With the upheaval that is going on across the face of college football and the financial climate, in particular with regard to travel, I truly believe that the best additions to the SLC would be Arkansas State, La.-Monroe, and La.-Lafayette.

DOME
June 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see WSU bring back football with more qualified pilots.

I'd really like to beat the crap out of them in more sports...

ThompsonThe
June 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I would like to see the SoCon add Walmart University.
Understand it just opened, seriously. Think of all the locations. Should help conference recruiting. And think of those low, low prices. All everything that used to be all american is now made overseas. All those TV's tuned to the SoCon Game of the Week. Wow.
I bet the "real football" would go over well.